Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Rory Gaffney also scored for Bristol Rovers.....

......the c***.

(Yes, I'm also a Southend United fan. :pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Robertson on thin ice apparently. Not sure Rovers can afford to sack him however can't afford not too either, attendances usually 1200 is core support, hopefully was only the Rugger than put it below 1200 on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Robertson on thin ice apparently. Not sure Rovers can afford to sack him however can't afford not too either, attendances usually 1200 is core support, hopefully was only the Rugger than put it below 1200 on Friday.

I'll be amazed if he survives. He is a bluffer and Sligo people aren't easily fooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

http://www.the42.ie/cleaning-up-bird-sht-can-be-worth-over-e20000-to-a-club-3280319-Mar2017/

Good article about valuing your away supporters. Lessons to be learned at the top and bottom of the spectrum.

Great article. O'Sullivan has his heart in the right place and it'll filter down through the league when people like him get a chance to call the shots from up top.

I could never understand the trouble between Rovers and Boh's fans for example. Both clubs rely on that fixture every season for income and promotion.
    They need the home and away games to have atmosphere, but not hostility. Nothing wrong with competitive, but healthy rivalry. And the change starts with O'Sullivan's approach. More and more clubs in Ireland are becoming fan owned. So it's up to the fans to provide the best possible match day experience to grow the game.

Trouble makers need to be identified, routed out and barred from LOI games. Garda resources would be put to better use this way instead of corralling away fans from grounds. When this is actioned, then the trust will grow and maybe just maybe, I can have a pint of beer watching a match with my friends.

Away fans are football fans too. They spend money and support the league in which eveyone's club plays their ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I take it Sava has no chance of a Martin O'Neill call up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Cracking article here about the captain of our women's side: http://www.the42.ie/kylie-murphy-wexford-youths-3285717-Mar2017/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Ethan Boyle (Harps) & Ronan Curtis (Derry) are the only LOI players in the Ireland u21 squad.
    Ryan Manning in there too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Another win for city and seanie is banging them in non stop, dundalk next down the X on Saturday afternoon, should be a huge crowd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

MD1990 wrote: »
    Some rumours that Derry City captain Ryan McBride has passed away.

https://twitter.com/DCFCLiveupdates/status/843580334021206016

Terrible news. Only 27 years old.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Thats horrible news altogether!

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Family have asked that this be kept of Facebook so can we please keep it off here until we know more about Ryan McBride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Awful news
    Family have asked that this be kept of Facebook so can we please keep it off here until we know more about Ryan McBride

It has been reported on the 42. It's out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Awful news

It has been reported on the 42. It's out there.

Yea a guess not a good news story puts football really into perspective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Well, the news is certianly out there now.. Felt like I should make something.. RIP Ryan.

C7YWBOmXwAAhUQk.jpg

Harps may eventually get to their new home... Maybe...
    http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/sport/241335/breaking-work-to-start-again-on-new-finn-harps-stadium-project.html

Tldr... Work to restart this year, finished for 2019 season, terraces behind the goals instead of seats...(so about 4000 seats)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

overshoot wrote: »
    Harps may eventually get to their new home... Maybe...
    http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/sport/241335/breaking-work-to-start-again-on-new-finn-harps-stadium-project.html

Tldr... Work to restart this year, finished for 2019 season, terraces behind the goals instead of seats...(so about 4000 seats)

Sounds awfully similar to the current Finn Park!
    I`d say in hindsight if they had the whole thing to do over again they`d have put the million euro plus that's been spent on it already into the current ground.
    Doesn't sound like they are going to have too much to show for it at the end of this. Apart from maybe a half decent main stand without all the "top class modern facilities" that were touted at the start.

• Advertisement

Not really... 2 x 2000 all seater stands either long side of the ground... It's hard to tell from that article are they building the goal ends as planned and just not putting in seats or just a small stepped terrace... Tbh id be delighted with the latter if we did have it in 2 years time.
    Upgrading Finn Park just wasn't an option... Pitch had 20k done to it in the off season and is still terrible. Boxed in by the road, river and buildings... We had to move. No space to build anything really

overshoot wrote: »
    Not really... 2 x 2000 all seater stands either long side of the ground... It's hard to tell from that article are they building the goal ends as planned and just not putting in seats or just a small stepped terrace... Tbh id be delighted with the latter if we did have it in 2 years time.
    Upgrading Finn Park just wasn't an option... Pitch had 20k done to it in the off season and is still terrible. Boxed in by the road, river and buildings... We had to move. No space to build anything really

I highly doubt there`ll be 2X2000 seater stands. Its taken long enough to get the structure for the one they have built.
    More likely there`ll be a mini stand on the other side similar to what's in Turners cross/The Showgrounds.
    That's about 2,800 seats and 600 odd terracing behind the goals is a ground with a capacity for 4,000.
    My own presumptions there but similar to the Brandywell, the original plan for this and the end product will be vastly different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Figured it might be a good time to try and make something cheerful. Pajo Flynn trying to 'tackle' Ronaldo!...

C7i-SD0XQAAub9-.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Sounds awfully similar to the current Finn Park!
    I`d say in hindsight if they had the whole thing to do over again they`d have put the million euro plus that's been spent on it already into the current ground.
    Doesn't sound like they are going to have too much to show for it at the end of this. Apart from maybe a half decent main stand without all the "top class modern facilities" that were touted at the start.

Firstly it sounds nothing like the current Finn Park. Have you actually ever been there?

Secondly, the new ground is being funded by the sale of the old ground, so it wouldn't be possible to put the money into the old ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Where is it in Stranorlar and will there be parking nearby? Never had a problem parking at Finn Park, with that shopping centre nearby. Locked in by the road alright but is there not land on the opposite side? Wouldn't take that much additional land to build a 2,000 seater on that side. And if the pitch is so hard to maintain why not go plastic. Bohs Derry and Dundalk all Astro in the next couple of years.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Firstly it sounds nothing like the current Finn Park. Have you actually ever been there?

Secondly, the new ground is being funded by the sale of the old ground, so it wouldn't be possible to put the money into the old ground.

Firstly, the new ground is not being funded by the sale of the old ground. The developer pulled out of that part of the deal a long time ago. Hence the delay in funding and down sizing of the original plans.

Who knows what this will end up like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

the bray wanderers programme cover for tomorrow nights game with limerick

C7refsgXwAAYYzB.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That is such a respectful thing to do, fair play Bray.

Highlights of our women's games this season will be available on our Youtube channel, as above :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I have my doubts about that deft little touch to assist the second was intentional! Looked like she was lining up for the shot and fluffed it.

Very disappointing finishing from Galway.

From my angle it didn't even look like O'Riordan touched it at all, but if she did I also doubt it was intentional.

Although if it was intentional, it's a stunner :D

Before the game I thought Galway would really struggle without Jess Nolan and Ellerose O'Flaherty, Nolan in particular was brilliant last year in terms of matching us for physicality. They were very good on the day though, particularly in the first half. Never really tested Lenehan (Youths keeper) though, missing Flaherty big time. Also thought it was a costly mistake to drop de Burca into the defence. She was the only one keeping the midfield ticking for Galway.

• Advertisement

As an aside, if anyone wants to look up fixtures and such, I would avoid the official website, wnl.fai.ie. It still has last season's table on the front page.

Extratime's own version, wnl.ie, is far far better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It looks like the ball speeds up after it passes her so I thought that was why she had touched it.

De Burca hasn't been called up for the recent Ireland squad which must be a first for her in a long time unless she just couldn't commit to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Firstly, the new ground is not being funded by the sale of the old ground. The developer pulled out of that part of the deal a long time ago.
    Have you got a source for this?

fullstop wrote: »

Its common knowledge.
    When the deal was struck to swap the current Finn Park for a new stadium, the site was worth multiples of what its worth now.
    The developer has no interest in fulfilling his side of the deal. Hence the delays and revised plans due to lack of funding.

Firstly, the new ground is not being funded by the sale of the old ground. The developer pulled out of that part of the deal a long time ago. Hence the delay in funding and down sizing of the original plans.

Who knows what this will end up like.

the ground was never fully funded by the sale of Finn Park, only ever part funded and thats still the case. The shell of the clubhouse and main stand is built so its pretty pointless to scale back the 2000 seats there and the main facilities. Whatever is built across from it will still be seated and I havnt seen anything confirming it will be scaled back yet.

If we have 2 terraces either goal end like the current town end I wont complain much. It will still have a capacity at 6-7000 and how often does any club in the country need that?

The new ground is off Railway Road - here (bing maps is slightly more up to date but absolutely crap for linking things)
    The satellite image must have been taken during some site clearance. There will be parking around the ground, the church at the end of the road and McElhinneys is still pretty close.
    If you pan left to Finn Park - the old Ballybofey United pitch behind our ground is now an Aldi - the fence around the ground really is the limit of it.
    Edit: when its done, Donegal CoCo are going to provide additional 'adjacent' pitches... no idea where exactly... but if it was done it would make quite the little sports complex with Finn Valley AC next door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Jaysus, anyone know what's going on with Athlone? Read that bookies are suspending all bets on future Athlone matches and that their new Chinese investor, Portuguese staff and eastern European players all have very sketchy backgrounds?

All seems a bit mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Horgan and Boyle coming on

Jaysus, anyone know what's going on with Athlone? Read that bookies are suspending all bets on future Athlone matches and that their new Chinese investor, Portuguese staff and eastern European players all have very sketchy backgrounds?

All seems a bit mad!

Athlone fans have done quite a bit of digging on their squad, certain players have been caught doing it before. Their unofficial Facebook page is well worth reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

As I said in the week thread last week "Good win for Shels last night... to be honest don't think we were ever not going to win it!"

There's ShelsTV highlights up online which doesn't even justice some of the hilarious attempts by their goalkeeper to keep the ball out previously to the goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Just reading about all that Athlone stuff now.....christ. Sounds crazy that they've all been let come in and attempt to do stuff like that, especially when their 'history' has been found so easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Any links to any of these comments on the facebook page??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Any links to any of these comments on the facebook page??

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1298945353521654&id=458882380861293

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Can someone summarize what's going on with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

https://sol.sapo.pt/artigo/121756/atencao-este-jogo-esta-comprado

Google translate. A familiar name in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Can someone summarize what's going on with them?

Players brought in who have been involved in match fixing previously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

That has got to be about the most demoralising thing possible for an Athlone fan. Worse than any relegation or perhaps going bust in this league, because at least then you can up and start again which hasn't worked out too badly for the likes of Cork, Derry and now Waterford (although that one may still have a story left to tell).

I remember around the time of the rumours with us and Sheriff my excitement for supporting a team in the constant sh*tstorm that is Irish football took a serious knocking. With this being on a whole different level, I can only imagine how that must feel for the small band of Athlone diehard fans.

The only solace they can take is that they're still ahead of their rivals Longford :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

A bookie friend of mine says the story about betting being suspended is nonsense.

Where has it come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Its common knowledge.
    When the deal was struck to swap the current Finn Park for a new stadium, the site was worth multiples of what its worth now.
    The developer has no interest in fulfilling his side of the deal. Hence the delays and revised plans due to lack of funding.

So, in other words, you don't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Good LOI podcast this week with Brian Kerr

https://soundcloud.com/user-914121770/loi-weekly-episode-6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

fullstop wrote: »

Impossible to find a source for this as it's Bull.
    The reasons for the hold up was because the developer would not do any more more until they had received payment for the stages done, Finnpark will still be transferred to the builder at the end of the project as the final payment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement