Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Impossible to find a source for this as it's Bull.
    The reasons for the hold up was because the developer would not do any more more until they had received payment for the stages done, Finnpark will still be transferred to the builder at the end of the project as the final payment.

I know full well it's bull, I was just giving him a chance to admit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Wasnt the transfer f Finn Park to the builder to cover the cost of Stranrolar. That the value of Finn Park dropped is bad lucck for the developer and he should be doing the new ground as per original deal. At least thats what was said at the time that the new ground will be covered by the land transfer of Finn Park. If it was actually that the new ground would still need significant funding then a 5 or 6k all seater ground was particularly ambitious if relying on sports capital grants. The larger grants are usually about 250k annually so for the new ground not to be phased similar to Athlone is a bit odd. It makes sense that the lack of progress is due to lack of payment and the direct land swap and build was presented differently or more positively in 2007 than 2008/9. But if the builder took what turned out to be an expensive gamble and then the terms changed he should have continued albeit at a slower pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Wasnt the transfer f Finn Park to the builder to cover the cost of Stranrolar. That the value of Finn Park dropped is bad lucck for the developer and he should be doing the new ground as per original deal. At least thats what was said at the time that the new ground will be covered by the land transfer of Finn Park. If it was actually that the new ground would still need significant funding then a 5 or 6k all seater ground was particularly ambitious if relying on sports capital grants. The larger grants are usually about 250k annually so for the new ground not to be phased similar to Athlone is a bit odd. It makes sense that the lack of progress is due to lack of payment and the direct land swap and build was presented differently or more positively in 2007 than 2008/9. But if the builder took what turned out to be an expensive gamble and then the terms changed he should have continued albeit at a slower pace.

This is how I remember it at the time but it would appear to have had more conditions attached or else the agreement wasn't worth the paper it was written on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Cape Clear wrote: »
    This is how I remember it at the time but it would appear to have had more conditions attached or else the agreement wasn't worth the paper it was written on.
    No I'm not exactly sure of the full figures but something like the developer "bought" finnpark for say five million and the project is costing 9? And the final payment was the handover of finnpark, so the other payments where to be payed on completion of each agreed phase which were supposed to be grants between government and fai ironic really as fai can barely pay for the aviva.
    Again just to stress these figures are for illustration purposes only and not exact could be millions either way.
    Builder will still be paying the same for finnpark as original agreement only difference now is that grants will be needed for less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

What a win away to Derry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Goal of the season from Conan Byrne.

https://twitter.com/RTEsport/status/847937154147811328

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

peteeeed wrote: »
    What a win away to Derry

You robbed us.;)

NIMAN wrote: »
    You robbed us.;)

ILL take that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

We get the new pitch at Oriel. Looks good too, seems to play well. Haven't seen or heard any complaints about it. Then a Drogheda 'supporter' throws a flare onto it last night and it seemed to catch fire on that spot before a steward decided to take action. Flares are banned ( but appear to tolerated) but throwing them onto a plastic pitch.....mindless.

And yet another Dundalk player off injured, the injuries seem endless this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

joeysoap wrote: »
    We get the new pitch at Oriel. Looks good too, seems to play well. Haven't seen or heard any complaints about it. Then a Drogheda 'supporter' throws a flare onto it last night and it seemed to catch fire on that spot before a steward decided to take action. Flares are banned ( but appear to tolerated) but throwing them onto a plastic pitch.....mindless.
    Stupid from the supporter,bit mental having a pitch that catches fire so easily though!

• Advertisement

And yet another Dundalk player off injured, the injuries seem endless this year.

Maybe there's a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Stupid from the supporter,bit mental having a pitch that catches fire so easily though!

Watching on tv there did seem to be an inordinate amount of flares. How they were let in with them I'll never know.

Nice to see the red and white ones in the 5th minute in memory of Ryan McBride though.

Also wanted to say that I remember a game on tv about 15 years ago in Tolka Park (I think it was Shamrock Rovers v Derry in the FAI cup) where one of the padding things around the base of the floodlights caught fire and the game was halted for 15 minutes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

I think you'll find that all artifical pitches will burn if exposed to a burning object.

Maybe there's a link?

No.

Most of the injuries were either impact; Benson and Gannon, or due to playing through a reckless fixture pile up last season; McMillan, Shield, O'Donnell, and McEleney.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

MD1990 wrote: »
    Goal of the season from Conan Byrne.

https://twitter.com/RTEsport/status/847937154147811328

Am I the only one who doesn't think these goals are amazing? Good, yes, but Goal of the Season? He saw an empty net and it was a well aimed punt but there'll be a lot more skillful goals scored.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Am I the only one who doesn't think these goals are amazing? Good, yes, but Goal of the Season? He saw an empty net and it was a well aimed punt but there'll be a lot more skillful goals scored.

Yes when the goalkeeper is way off his line and the ball bobbles into an empty net.

However, Conan Byrne hit the back of the net directly from his own half.

Try to do it yourself and come back and tell us how easy it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Noise Annoys

fh041205 wrote: »
    Also wanted to say that I remember a game on tv about 15 years ago in Tolka Park (I think it was Shamrock Rovers v Derry in the FAI cup) where one of the padding things around the base of the floodlights caught fire and the game was halted for 15 minutes or so.

Oh yeah, I was at that match! I remember watching the flames getting bigger and bigger. There was no real danger to spectators though, we all just stood around in the other stand waiting for the thing to be put out so the game could go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yes when the goalkeeper is way off his line and the ball bobbles into an empty net.

However, Conan Byrne hit the back of the net directly from his own half.

Try to do it yourself and come back and tell us how easy it is.

It wouldn't be impossible. Fair play to Byrne, and it's got the league great publicity but it's much harder to score a goal whereby you need to beat a couple of players.

Maybe there's a link?

Benson out for 6-8 weeks

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0329/863571-blow-for-dundalk-with-benson-out-for-two-months/

Gannon out for similar

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/809966/huge-blow-for-dundalk-as-star-defender-sean-gannon-could-miss-two-months-with-injury/

O'Donnell played against Rovers in first match but hasn't played since

McMillan's first action was 30 mins against City.

Hoare's first appearance was 15 mins against Drogheda

McEleney missed the Derby match - hopefully not too serious

Grimes is still out from last year's injury

Seems a lot of serious injuries this year, some as WH posts are carryovers from last year.

The players brought in to replace Horgan, Boyle, Finn and Meenan have had to gel quickly and they have done really well.

Martin Russell sacked

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Martin Russell sacked

Just heard, I think it's a mistake. I don't think he'll be out of work for too long.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Martin Russell sacked
    Bit early for that surely? They were really good when we played them in Oriel Park a few weeks ago. I've been a bit surprised at how poor their results have been since then as I thought they'd do well this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Pighead wrote: »
    Bit early for that surely? They were really good when we played them in Oriel Park a few weeks ago. I've been a bit surprised at how poor their results have been since then as I thought they'd do well this year.

We were truly awful against harps and Cork. We look like a team with zero plan or structure. Even harps have a plan and are organised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Unless our MC has already lined up a foreign replacement for Robertson, Russell will probably be our manager in the next week or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Oat23 wrote: »
    Unless our MC has already lined up a foreign replacement for Robertson, Russell will probably be our manager in the next week or two.
    Well that would test him. He'd really want to be up for a challenge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Pighead wrote: »

16 months too late imo, what other manager would be given a new contract after being relegated and going 21 games without a win.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Hopefully we'll be looking sooner than that. The manager that hammered us on opening day was sacked before our own!

Liam Martin starting again tonight, has literally played every second of Robbos reign apart from when he was sent off and subsequently suspended and he's completely useless. So strange.

Benson out for 6-8 weeks

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0329/863571-blow-for-dundalk-with-benson-out-for-two-months/

Gannon out for similar

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/809966/huge-blow-for-dundalk-as-star-defender-sean-gannon-could-miss-two-months-with-injury/

O'Donnell played against Rovers in first match but hasn't played since

McMillan's first action was 30 mins against City.

Hoare's first appearance was 15 mins against Drogheda

McEleney missed the Derby match - hopefully not too serious

Grimes is still out from last year's injury

Seems a lot of serious injuries this year, some as WH posts are carryovers from last year.

The players brought in to replace Horgan, Boyle, Finn and Meenan have had to gel quickly and they have done really well.

Feel your pain, Rory Patterson is out now for 3 months, broken bone in his ankle/foot:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Two poor teams without confidence in Terryland tonight, cant see either team not being involved in serious relegation trouble. We should have won and were for me the marginally more threatening team. Sligo kept the ball but didnt really go anywhere, they scored from our mistake. We couldnt take our chances and gift a goal, sums up our season so far.

• Advertisement

Feel your pain, Rory Patterson is out now for 3 months, broken bone in his ankle/foot:(

Saw him come off tonight on SR, Patterson has been really unlucky this year.

Tough year on Derry but you will bounce back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Obviously Limerick are poor at the back.

But they don't have much in attack either. Tosi has done well but he very reliant on service because of his lack of pace. Ogbene has great potential but is still young, Turner is poor, Clarke is not a goalscorer. Flynn is injury prone & past his best.

Going to be a real struggle for them to stay up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

EA Sports Cup games down for decision tonight

Cobh Ramblers v Avondale United

Wexford v Waterford

Finn Harps v Cockhill Celtic

Drogheda United v Bray Wanderers

St Patrick's Athletic v Bluebell United

Athlone Town v Longford Town

Bohemians v Cabinteely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

Harps beat Cockhill 3-1 last night..... unless theres a bookies somewhere who also thinks it tonight...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Some match in the Midlands Derby. Athlone were 2-0 up but ended up blowing it and losing 3-4 thanks to a hat-trick from Longford's David O Sullivan and a winner from Mulhall.

• Advertisement

Anyone have a bet on it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Watched Waterford beat Wexford 5-0 on Facebook, lots of youngsters came on to impress.

On to Cobh at home on Friday now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

95b3bae6fbf980de8f21f66a9f80ebea.jpg

Go ahead.....

He's getting an extra €100k annually apparently.

Maybe he could buy a few women's tracksuits with his rise?

The John Delany trend on twitter shows exactly how this runt is able to hold onto power.

Most fans/journos see him for what he is and are posting negative tweets, but now and again you see congratulatory tweets from junior clubs and the odd individual.

Just saw one guy congratulate him and I knew before I even googled his name it would come up in an article related to a junior club in the sticks that Delaney once visited years ago.

Sickening really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The whole thing just makes you wanna vomit.

im delighted he is away from Irish football tbh!... Not that i expect his replacement to be much of an improvement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I didn't think it would mean he moves on from FAI, he will just do less, yes it is probably possibly. Nice 100k extra a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

overshoot wrote: »
    im delighted he is away from Irish football tbh!... Not that i expect his replacement to be much of an improvement

He will not go anywhere, he ll just add this to his "workload"

In The Netherlands we have a similar twat, Michael van Praag.
    So concerned as president of the Dutch FA of the current misery Dutch club and country football he is but in the mean time voting "Yes" for giving the top 4 countries 4 entries in the CL when he has his UEFA hat on.

ah crap :(

Sligo Rumor mill is one of the strongest, we love a good rumor, latest is Robbo is gone.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Sligo Rumor mill is one of the strongest, we love a good rumor, latest is Robbo is gone.
    Hope so. Never seen someone so completely inept in every way.

He's gone alright. Big job for whoever comes in to keep us up with the squad he's assembled. Not impossible though.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    No rumour!
    Its official.

That postponement in Galway at the weekend has done a lot of people out of money. Robertson was one of the favourites to be sacked first and he managed to hold his job for a few days longer because of the game being postponed. Just enough time for Russell to be surprisingly sacked.

Yeah I heard the rumor on Friday, Adams back a soon as the Galway game was done, shall see if the 2nd part happens.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement