Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Hopefully whoever John Caulfield chooses as the new Sligo manager will go in and produce some fine players for him to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

CHealy wrote: »
    Hopefully whoever John Caulfield chooses as the new Sligo manager will go in and produce some fine players for him to choose from.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

We knew you'd be after a centre forward in June when Seani heads off so we tactically didn't sign any forwards this season.

Ok let's have fun :)

managers currently in place

City - Safe
    Dundalk. - Safe
    Derry - Safe
    Bray - Safe

Bohs. - 75% Safe
    Rovers. - 60 % Safe
    Harps. - Safe
    Limerick. -

SPA. - 55% Safe
    Drogs - 50% Safe
    Sligo. -
    Galway - 40% Safe

Let's be honest at least 2 more to go before October

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

joeysoap wrote: »

City - Safe
    Dundalk. - Safe
    Derry - Safe
    Bray - Safe

Bohs. - 75% Safe
    Rovers. - 60 % Safe
    Harps. - Safe
    Limerick. -

SPA. - 55% Safe
    Drogs - 50% Safe
    Sligo. -
    Galway - 40% Safe

I'd put Bradley at 75-85%. Results haven't been amazing but there's no fan unrest at all so hes fairly safe though anymore loses in this round and that may begin to change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

City - Safe
    Dundalk. - Safe
    Derry - Safe
    Bray - Safe

Bohs. - 75% Safe
    Rovers. - 60 % Safe
    Harps. - Safe
    Limerick. -

SPA. - 55% Safe
    Drogs - 50% Safe
    Sligo. -
    Galway - 40% Safe

Keegans on a 2 year deal, we are still paying off Dunne, so the opportunity to pay 3 managers is highly unlikely to be taken up id imagine, much and all as i lack faith in him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

D14Rugby wrote: »
    I'd put Bradley at 75-85%. Results haven't been amazing but there's no fan unrest at all so hes fairly safe though anymore loses in this round and that may begin to change

I think he's on very shakier ground than that with the defensive problems. He needs to fix them, some of the defending has been shockingly disorganised and panicky, that's seven games in now.

The defence has been together for three months (?) since preseason and sometimes look like they've never met.

Whatever about Bradleys ability as a manager, which IMO is only ok at best, I assume Rovers have gone off and got him some media training?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Whatever about Bradleys ability as a manager, which IMO is only ok at best, I assume Rovers have gone off and got him some media training?

If they havent they should, he's his own worst enemy with his media ramblings... a few lessons in football soundbytes & cliches are required ASAP or he'll just continue to invite pressure on himself.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

DvB wrote: »
    If they havent they should, he's his own worst enemy with his media ramblings... a few lessons in football soundbytes & cliches are required ASAP or he'll just continue to invite pressure on himself.

His ''This is Pats cup final'' comment made a show of him. Hopefully Rovers keep him on cos they will go nowhere with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

ummmmm

C8trfY4XoAAP-ee.jpg

DvB wrote: »

Its the talk of a man who hasnt a clue what he's doing. Calling Cork City "a so called top team" after we beat them and after a 5-0 win in Tallaght last year and finishing above them in the table consistently over the last years is bizarre. Cork City wont need any team talk ahead of the return game in Turners Cross, Caulfield will just play that interview. He made a holy show of himself in the Pats game aswell. Maybe if he concentrated more on managing his team rather than doing photoshoots at Tallaght on what seems like a daily basis he might be more respected.

Saying that, its a great laugh at the moment with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Well if hes giving people enough stick to beat Rovers hes going to be popular.....the one about making Tallaght a fortress comes to mind.Although , if most people were honest no one is ever slow to the queue to give Rovers stick in general, its a LOI favourite past-time

Well if hes giving people enough stick to beat Rovers hes going to be popular.....the one about making Tallaght a fortress comes to mind.Although , if most people were honest no one is ever slow to the queue to give Rovers stick in general, its a LOI favourite past-time

• Advertisement

Triply indignant...ffs...

In fairness to Bradley his comments mean that after matches people are giving him stick rather than the players. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say thats deliberate to protect his young group of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

In fairness to Bradley his comments mean that after matches people are giving him stick rather than the players. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say thats deliberate to protect his young group of players.

The players aren't that young.

PS he's a terrible manager and won't amount to anything at Rovers. I'm amazed he ever got the job but Rovers seem horribly mismanaged since MON left.

PhilipsR wrote: »
    The players aren't that young.

PS he's a terrible manager and won't amount to anything at Rovers. I'm amazed he ever got the job but Rovers seem horribly mismanaged since MON left.

you're joking right? Rovers have a very very young squad especially when you compare their first choice 11 to other clubs first choice teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

you're joking right? Rovers have a very very young squad especially when you compare their first choice 11 to other clubs first choice teams

Shams are nothing special in terms of having a young team. The average age of players in the league is 24.

• Advertisement

Shams are nothing special in terms of having a young team. The average age of players in the league is 24.

If you take the matchday squad from harps there are 10 players under 23 (7 of who are teenagers) and only 2 over 30, the keeper and a sub winger. That is young by any teams standards.

Averages out at 22. I'd guess the squad age is lower.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

If you take the matchday squad from harps there are 10 players under 23 (7 of who are teenagers) and only 2 over 30, the keeper and a sub winger. That is young by any teams standards.

Averages out at 22. I'd guess the squad age is lower.

I make it just 7 players of the 26 member squad were born before 1992. McAllister, Finn, Chencinski, Webster, Madden, Meenan and Corry who is injured.

19 players not over topmanamillion's average age. So the squad age is probably lower, the oldest striker is 24..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Is there anyway to watch Soccer Republic on a PS4? It doesn't seem to be in the RTE Player section on Sky.

That is some statistic: one year from Dundalk last getting a penalty in the LOI. Must be all their negative play :rolleyes: (Cork apparently have got 13 in the same period).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

That is some statistic: one year from Dundalk last getting a penalty in the LOI. Must be all their negative play :rolleyes: (Cork apparently have got 13 in the same period).

Is there some conspiracy theory there or something? Are people really, like, REALLY saying that City are being favoured? I haven't read anyone here or anywhere else saying this before.

Quite a bizarre article to have on a team's official website as well. Kenny's backdoor way of saying City players have been diving to get penalties is truly.....weird. I was reading it and was thinking, what the **** is going on? I don't know what's happened Kenny this season at all with all the stuff he's come out with. Thought he was a relatively fair and decent with his comments the last few seasons, but that article is all types of crazy.

Don't think he saying ( though he did single Seanies moment against Rovers) that city are getting too many penalties, more along the lines of how Dundalk are getting none. I was at the Rovers match in Sept last year in Oriel when Massey was pushed from behind in the area - Massey got booked, Kilduff had a stonewall pen in Cork a few weeks ago - nothing. Same ref in both matches and the same ref gives Drogheda and Rovers a penalty each last week. Both soft by all accounts. What Kenny is looking for is a bit of consistency from refs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

His whole talk of 'manufacturing penalties' is nonsense though. I haven't thought too much bad about something Kenny said because honestly I've always liked him, but that article is really bizarre. It's a multi paragraph rant about how Dundalk are fighting against the odds and everything else etc etc. The whole thing he says about 'values' and 'we are not going to encourage our players to go down' while talking about these 'manufactured penalties' is a pretty nasty underhand slight on players that aren't Dundalk players, especially when he singled out Seanie's one.

I don't know, it's a weird one. It doesn't sound like Kenny at all when I read it.

“To not get a penalty in a full year when another team gets thirteen does that mean I tell our players to go down all the time? I encourage my players to be honest"

If Caufield said the above, he would be savaged by all and sundry for underhandedly claiming Dundalk goes down to get penalties.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Kenny feeling the pressure, long may it continue.

Overall, the entire article is just bizarre beyond belief, as Corholio said above Id almost question was it even Kenny talking or was it a transition year student given the role of manager for the day. What a strange strange piece for Dundalk to release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Although I think that the penalty situation as described by Kenny is a strange argument to make, I would agree on the point of a lack of consistency of refereeing and referees in the league. Sometimes the lack of consistency of a referee is apparent in any certain games.

I remember in the City vs Dundalk match a few weeks ago Maguire was given a yellow card for a tackle on a Dundalk player (can't remember who it was) which I thought was harsh at the time. About 10 minutes later, an almost identical tackle was made on a City player on the opposite wing but there wasn't even a free given for it.

I know these things happen in games and refs don't see things and occasionally get things wrong. However, in the last few games I've seen at the cross there seems to be a real lack of consistency within games. Maybe it comes down to reputations of players or teams but it is frustrating watching near identical tackles have significantly different outcomes and it is equally frustrating seeing the lack of conversation about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Don't think he saying ( though he did single Seanies moment against Rovers) that city are getting too many penalties, more along the lines of how Dundalk are getting none. I was at the Rovers match in Sept last year in Oriel when Massey was pushed from behind in the area - Massey got booked, Kilduff had a stonewall pen in Cork a few weeks ago - nothing. Same ref in both matches and the same ref gives Drogheda and Rovers a penalty each last week. Both soft by all accounts. What Kenny is looking for is a bit of consistency from refs.

It wasnt that clear imo. And very rarely would you see that given against the home team.

And while the bauld Stevie is on about favouritism and such, is he willing to concede that the first goal in the decider in 2014 came from a blatant handball? If thats not given the course of the game is changed entirely.

He must be seriously rattled if he thinks Dundalk of all teams are being singled out for poor decisions. Pretty hilarious though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ah boohoo. Sure he bribe the refs with the millions they have now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Not the first time he's brought this up. This is something that has been bothering him for a while and I guess this season's stats have just increased his frustration. Last September he was giving out about it as well when he said “If an empty crisp packet blew in front of the Shed End in Turner’s Cross a penalty would be awarded!"

http://www.dundalkfc.com/kenny-ready-weekend-battles/

are there any statistics available on penaltys awarded to each team since the first round this year?

In other news Dundalk Football Club have once again showed how sound they are by allowing Derry to play their European home matches in Oriel Park. Scabby Sligo Rovers tried to charge Derry a fortune to play at the Showgrounds before Dundalk stepped in to save the day.

I suppose the difference is we have to pay for the upkeep of the showgrounds.

Maybe if we let it fall apart like Dundalk we would be in a position to offer it for free.

I suppose the difference is we have to pay for the upkeep of the showgrounds.

Maybe if we let it fall apart like Dundalk we would be in a position to offer it for free.
    Money, money, money. Classless. Your neighbours asked for the use of your stadium and you tried to overcharge them. Shocking behaviour. You would think the club would be glad to see some competitive European football in their ground given it's not looking like it will happen anytime soon otherwise.

Pighead wrote: »
    Not the first time he's brought this up. This is something that has been bothering him for a while and I guess this season's stats have just increased his frustration.

Cork City have been awarded 1 penalty this season after a stupid tackle by Rovers Webster that Maguire bought, any good striker would have done the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

If I knew Dundalk FC and their fans would become such insufferable tw*ts I wouldn't have donated €50 to save them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

THey once gave me change of 100 instead of a 50 on the gate so I got your cash back off them :) I would have said something however I didn't notice until I next morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Oat23 wrote: »
    If I knew Dundalk FC and their fans would become such insufferable tw*ts I wouldn't have donated €50 to save them.

In fairness, we were always insufferable twats

I was right beside Seanies penalty in Tallaght and if a seven year old fell over after that "tackle" youd tell him to get up and cop himself on.Some refs always buy it but it was the linesman on the East stand side that gave that one.

damemcd wrote: »
    I was right beside Seanies penalty in Tallaght and if a seven year old fell over after that "tackle" youd tell him to get up and cop himself on.Some refs always buy it but it was the linesman on the East stand side that gave that one.

It was soft no doubt about it but dont come on here and tell me Shamrock Rovers fans wouldnt have been shouting their heads off for it if it was at the other end. He bought it and it got us a great away win after a shocking performance, happy days.

maybe your worst performance{second half anyway}, and our best.......weve been nothing short of abysmal since..

Dublin Refs can Ref Cork v Dublin Clubs, but a Cork ref can't do same.

We just get on with it....

• Advertisement

Dublin Refs can Ref Cork v Dublin Clubs, but a Cork ref can't do same.

We just get on with it....
    https://www.fm104.ie/sport/caulfield-says-ref-crucial-in-dundalk-clash/

?

Bit of difference between talking about a ref going into a match and then Kenny who just happens to mention Cork cause they are Top of the table and thinking their is a conspiracy involved.

To compare is laughable.

Money, money, money. Classless. Your neighbours asked for the use of your stadium and you tried to overcharge them. Shocking behaviour. You would think the club would be glad to see some competitive European football in their ground given it's not looking like it will happen anytime soon otherwise.
    It's about three years since Dundalk were getting 200 people in to games and on the verge of going out of business. It will come around again.

Three years ago we were winning things, now we're not. That'll come around again too.

Regardless of that, we'll be playing out of a vastly improved stadium because we had the foresight to invest in infrastructure when the going was good. Our current league champions could learn from that.

It's about three years since Dundalk were getting 200 people in to games and on the verge of going out of business. It will come around again.

Three years ago we were winning things, now we're not. That'll come around again too.

Regardless of that, we'll be playing out of a vastly improved stadium because we had the foresight to invest in infrastructure when the going was good. Our current league champions could learn from that.
    You think Dundalk aren't currently planning on investing in infrastructure? Also, it's closer to five years at this stage since we were crap.

You think Dundalk aren't currently planning on investing in infrastructure?
    Maybe they are, in the meantime they're playing out of probably the worst ground in the league. They could plan a little quicker.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement