Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Great to see over 5000 were at Turners Cross again.

Another very poor result for Rovers surely Bradley has to go soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I was surprised by how poor ye were, in comparison to previous seasons, not in terms of the league. Vemmelund, mcgrath, massey and Duffy were mostly atrocious. Ye kept the ball but never troubled our keeper really. We just defended well and ye seemed to have little to hurt us. McEleney was probably the best of yours.

I think most town fans would agree. Allowing that Horgan, Boyle and Finn are gone, and Benson and Gannon are big losses, this team are not as good as last two years.

We struggle to put matches to bed, even when we play well (Rovers, Limerick, even Bohs last week).

But it's like this: King Kenny is the best manager we ever had and possibly ever will have (including the great Jim McLoughlin) and we'll be back next year.
    We had some sh*te years in the first division and this - in comparison is still terrific. Ups and downs and we are still in the up cathegory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Comprehensive by cork, even though bray dominated possession for the second half didn't look like scoring. Some decent football played by both sides at least. If somebody told me bray would get 9 points from a run of Derry, Dundalk, shams and Cork I'd have taken an arm off them

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

A little harsh in terms of the equaliser being so late, but Rovers lost control of the last ten minutes, could not get hold of the ball. Probably their best defensive performance of the season in terms of organisation and discipline - though that would not be hard.

Great set of results for Galway, really closed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

dfx- wrote: »
    Great set of results for Galway, really closed up.

Indeed. That said, there's only 8 points up to 4th. Granted, that's twice as many points as we have, even after tonight, but the idea that GUFC were in crisis was a bit much. I felt that once we broke out duck, we'd be away.

Desperately unlucky all season as well as often being our own worst enemy at times.

Honestly, the first win should have been on the opening night. Absolutely robbery. We probably have other games, such as Bray where we didn't play all that well but on another night, and on that particular night, with another referee, we could have won.

It's just 1 win though. On to Sligo now and try to keep the momentum going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Mushy wrote: »
    Comprehensive by cork, even though bray dominated possession for the second half didn't look like scoring. Some decent football played by both sides at least. If somebody told me bray would get 9 points from a run of Derry, Dundalk, shams and Cork I'd have taken an arm off them

Ya that's pretty accurate from what I watched as well. Impressed by Bray in the second half and for about 10 minutes we couldn't hold onto any sort of ball. Strangely enough Bray's forward players were probably their poorest, Connolly was great running with the ball but scuffed one chance real bad and when he wasn't on it he seemed slow to offer options. McCabe has probably never hit two worse free kicks than he did tonight. Really impressed with Bray's centre midfield though.

Probably did enough to win it, especially chances in the first half and late in the second. Tough going though.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Really important win for Bohs last night. Gonna be a hell of a relegation scrap this year.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Went up to my first Rovers game in a while last night, very poor game overall and I would argue Limerick were the better team, fully deserved the goal at the end. The last 20 mins Rovers were completely on the back foot and were just trying to play long balls for the likes of Shaw, Doona & Burke to run onto. Tosi missed a great chance a few mins before his goal, think Lopes or Webster put in a very good block to stop it from going in. Expected a lot more from Rovers, they were especially poor in the second half. Finn and McAllister were anonymous in midfield. Defensively the looked solid enough I suppose apart from the last 20 mins or so. Limerick played some decent football at times, Tosi up front is a big threat from long balls. Felt as if there was a deflated mood around the ground even when they were leading, Bradley must be feeling the pressure and it's going to require a lot more than that if they get a result with Dundalk in Tallaght next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

The Cann table below. Unbelievable gap at the top. 12 points between first and second. 13 points between second and bottom.

It's been an amazing run so far. And although if City were 12 behind, I'd probably be throwing in the towel myself, it's far from over. We're only a third of the way through the season. There are 66 points to play for. Although unlikely, there's still a long way to go and a lot to play for to overturn the deficit. In 2011 in the First Division, we were 10 points behind Shels with 11 games to go (and 8 plus a game in hand for them) and we won it by a point. In 2005, we were 10 points ahead of Derry with 12 games left. Going into the final game of the season, we were a point behind. We ended up winning it on the last day, but it shows how quickly things can change. We've been both the team that have hunted down a big lead and the team that were caught, so we only know too well.

I'll be savouring every bit of this. I'll be enjoying the entertaining games, the goals and the wins while they last. I'll probably never get to experience something like this again. But until it becomes a mathematical certainty, I won't be celebrating any league.

Points|Team [GD] (games in hand)
    33| Cork City [23]
    32|
    31|
    30|
    29|
    28|
    27|
    26|
    25|
    24|
    23|
    22|
    21| Dundalk [9]; Bray Wanderers [6]
    20|
    19|
    18|
    17|
    16| Limerick [5]
    15| Derry City [4] (+1)
    14|
    13| Shamrock Rovers [-3]; Drogheda United [-8]; Bohemians [-9]
    12|
    11| Finn Harps [-6]
    10| Sligo Rovers [-8]
    9| St Patrick's Athletic [-7]
    8| Galway United [-6] (+1)

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    13 points between second and bottom.

And 8 between 4th and bottom. Ourselves and Derry have a game in hand over everyone, at home on Monday week. There's a round of games to be played on Friday before that, but 3 points would lift us out of the relegation zone as it stands currently and for example, put us within 5 points of 4th.

I'm under no illusions, but all these hysterics before tonight needed to be put into perspective.

One loss in eight for Galway United and two home wins in a row.

We've gifted teams a goal in most games, peppered the opposition but couldn't score in others and were robbed in a couple.

Nice to get a bit of luck last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Really important win for Bohs last night. Gonna be a hell of a relegation scrap this year.

In fairness our bench wad made up of 4 u19s and 1 senior player. Few patched up starters who hadnt trained all week. I'd definitely been targeting yourselves and Drogs last week for results before the season started but given circumstances just happy to have the nose out of relegation after round 1!

joeysoap wrote: »
    Ok let's have fun :)

managers currently in place

City - Safe
    Dundalk. - Safe
    Derry - Safe
    Bray - Safe

Bohs. - 75% Safe
    Rovers. - 60 % Safe
    Harps. - Safe
    Limerick. -

SPA. - 55% Safe
    Drogs - 50% Safe
    Sligo. -
    Galway - 40% Safe

Let's be honest at least 2 more to go before October

Round 1 completed

In current league order

Cork City - safe
    Dundalk - safe
    Bray w - safe
    Limerick

Derry City - safe
    Shans - 50% safe
    Drogs - 75 % safe
    Bohs. - 75% safe

Finn Harps - 75% safe
    Sligo Rovers - 90% safe
    St Pats - 50 % safe
    Galway U. - 75% safe

That's my twopenceworth after 1 st round

Nobody in immediate danger :)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Pete Mahon has just achieved promotion with **** all cash, has already accumulated 13 points with **** all cash in spite of being EVERYBODY'S favourites to go down and is on a two year deal at a club that couldn't afford to pay him off if he was sacked and you think he's only 75% safe? :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Our manager has been in place for less than a week and he's dropped to 90%? I know we like to go through them these days though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Longford vs Athlone was clearly fixed last night.

Over 3.5 goals at 88 mins was only 1.8. Then Athlone gave away a goal.

I think both the Sligo and Drogs managers are safe. Didn't know Pete was on a 2 year contract. Interesting that this time round the posts are Sligo/Drogs. previously it was nearly all Shams with a few Galway ones thrown in. It's only a bit of craic. What's the chances of going to October with no manager sacked? Or maybe resigning.

Anybody else care to give their predictions ?

* Pete is up from 50% to 75% safety and Sligo is up to 90% safety from nothing.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Pighead wrote: »
    Money, money, money. Classless. Your neighbours asked for the use of your stadium and you tried to overcharge them. Shocking behaviour. You would think the club would be glad to see some competitive European football in their ground given it's not looking like it will happen anytime soon otherwise.
    Time to get your facts right Pighead before you start calling anyone classless.
    http://www.derryjournal.com/sport/football/derry-city-city-ceo-delighted-to-secure-sligo-showgrounds-for-europa-league-qualifier-1-7940002

red sean wrote: »

Reading the article Derry preferred Sligo because of location and grass pitch, which makes perfect sense. He is quoted as being grateful to other clubs for offering to stage the match. Derry going artificial next year.

"It was the preferred venue and its got a grass pitch which we play on every week. When we spoke to other clubs about possibilities they were more than willing to help us which was fantastic and we're delighted that they did do that"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

In fairness it was presented that Sligo were cashing in. Shrewd by Derry to let Sligo's demands be known to the Derry Journal too as there would have been undoubted pressure on Sligo for excessive demands for use of their ground. Oriel being available for just the cost of hosting the tie gave a fall back position for Derry and Sligo adjusted demands and by all accounts there was a bit of leaning on by some folk in Abbotstown (yes I doubted that too). So now a realistic rental of 5k plus the expense of hosting the tie covered by Derry is the deal. There are not to many facts wrong but they did did evolve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Nesta99 wrote: »
    and by all accounts there was a bit of leaning on by some folk in Abbotstown (yes I doubted that too).

Absolutely disgusting if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

The facts are Sligo originally tried to overcharge Derry for use of the Showgrounds and then backed down and accepted a fair price when they realised Derry had plenty of other options.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Absolutely disgusting if true.

Dunno why you'd say that. The 30k was way ott and they got a call from the FAI asking what the story was.

SDCC charged Dundalk €20,000 a match but they provided security, stewards and other match officials for that (turnstiles etc) and both teams had access to Tallaght during the preceding days.

There was huge security outside the grounds for all 3 matches, a few protestors at the Tel Aviv match, precaution with the Russian match but uncalled for at the Dutch match. (In the East Stand Alkmaar supporters were in the Dundalk section and as they scored early we were soon aware of it - no trouble though) don't know who paid for this as it was outside the stadium.

SDCC built tallaght stadium in order to lease it for events. The Showgrounds is the home of Sligo Rovers. Leasing it is not something that's been considered before. Derry need to make it worthwhile or what's the point in us letting them use it?

The figures claimed are crap, made up by a newspaper in Derry.

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Dunno why you'd say that. The 30k was way ott and they got a call from the FAI asking what the story was.

Because a potential commercial agreement between two clubs in the league should not be interfered with by the national association.

Unlike most clubs in the league, Sligo Rovers own their ground and invested heavily in it over the years along with all the associated time and finance in maintaining it.

They are entitled to look for the best price they can get without Delaney or Gavin sticking their noses into what's none of their business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

€30K was never even mentioned let alone asked for! FACT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

MD1990 wrote: »

What's happening at Athlone is disgraceful. I'd say something negative about the FAI but I really don't have the energy for it anymore.

https://www.facebook.com/AthloneTownFcFans/videos/1336655016417354/

FACT.

Yeah shouting 'fact' makes it all fact..........

Crushed Waterford Utd 3-0 to reach another semi-final. We're back bitches!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

Waterfords season isn't going quite to plan so far! Would be great all the same to see them go up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

cms88 wrote: »
    Waterfords season isn't going quite to plan so far! Would be great all the same to see them go up.

Come on lads, quarter final of the EA Sports Cup is hardly a pointer to how the season will pan out.

Having said that, ANOTHER win for City yesterday was very welcome, and I look forward to winning the EA Sports Cup, FAI Cup and League this season :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Quiet possibly the worst game of football ever played at Turners Cross yesterday, 2nd string City squad fell across the line.

CHealy wrote: »
    Quiet possibly the worst game of football ever played at Turners Cross yesterday, 2nd string City squad fell across the line.

Yeah, something about the EA Sports Cup just fails to excite players or supporters. Great crowd of 1,500 there yesterday, more than most teams get for league games.

Is the EA Sports Cup even relevant anymore? Clubs don't take the competition seriously. I didn't go to the match and wouldn't have gone even if it had been free admission, yet I never miss a home game in the league or FAI Cup.

I'd much prefer the Setanta Cup just for the novelty of playing teams from the north, but there doesn't seem to be the will to bring back any sort of cross border competition in the near future.

Yeah, something about the EA Sports Cup just fails to excite players or supporters. Great crowd of 1,500 there yesterday, more than most teams get for league games.

Is the EA Sports Cup even relevant anymore? Clubs don't take the competition seriously. I didn't go to the match and wouldn't have gone even if it had been free admission, yet I never miss a home game in the league or FAI Cup.

I'd much prefer the Setanta Cup just for the novelty of playing teams from the north, but there doesn't seem to be the will to bring back any sort of cross border competition in the near future.

Over 1700 there officially which is even more impressive given our history of failing to break 1000 for LC games. Dont think any club has much of an appetite for the LC until Semi Final / Final stage.

Would disagree with all of the above. There's a huge appetite for the EASports Cup this year. I feel the competition has really grown in recent years. Hugely important trophy. Some would say even more difficult to win than the league given the knock out nature of the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Would disagree with all of the above. There's a huge appetite for the EASports Cup this year. I feel the competition has really grown in recent years. Hugely important trophy.

It's no Leinster Senior Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I have heard it all now.

Would disagree with all of the above. There's a huge appetite for the EASports Cup this year. I feel the competition has really grown in recent years. Hugely important trophy. Some would say even more difficult to win than the league given the knock out nature of the competition.

Thought you were serious there for a few seconds............then I understood the sarcasm :D

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

MD1990 wrote: »

Investigation been launched by UEFA about the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Mushy wrote: »

The 5th & 7th bullet points are unreal. Fran Gavin has royally f*cked up here and the FAI know it. He was singing the praises of the foreign investor 6 weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

"On March 29, Mr Gavin delivered an Integrity Workshop presentation to the Athlone Town AFC senior squad and coaches on the prevention of match-fixing and betting, in his role as FAI Integrity Officer"

The allegations can't be true, Fran Gavin spoke to them at the start of the season.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Wexford FC might be getting their first *wins of the season

Rovers v Galway

Even though most of our XI played in Drogheda a few days before, it's an embarrassing result against Galway's backups. Lyttle has a near to impossible job with the squad Robertson assembled.

Wouldn't be a popular decision, but I'd sell Sadlier to Cork/Dundalk in the summer for a small fee then use that to pay off some of the sh*te he signed so we have room on the wage bill to bring in a few lads that can give us a chance of avoiding the drop.

Sadlier can't do it alone.

Good to see the FAI so quick off the mark.

:eek: 9 team division 1 next year.

Out of curiosity by Wexford changing name is the debt written off ? Or do they still carry that debt.

• Advertisement

Oat23 wrote: »
    Even though most of our XI played in Drogheda a few days before, it's an embarrassing result against Galway's backups. Lyttle has a near to impossible job with the squad Robertson assembled.

Wouldn't be a popular decision, but I'd sell Sadlier to Cork/Dundalk in the summer for a small fee then use that to pay off some of the sh*te he signed so we have room on the wage bill to bring in a few lads that can give us a chance of avoiding the drop.

Sadlier can't do it alone.
    We'll need Sadlier to have any hope though. A decent centre back and a forward that can score goals will keep us up, hope he can find them. Would like a centre midfielder too so we never have to see Roddan again. Worst player we've ever had.

For Sadlier's own sake a move would be good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement