Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

joeysoap wrote: »
    :eek: 9 team division 1 next year.

Out of curiosity by Wexford changing name is the debt written off ? Or do they still carry that debt.

New club so the debt is not their problem. Just like Waterford FC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Zebra3 wrote: »
    New club so the debt is not their problem. Just like Waterford FC.

So we could have a 10 team division after all.

Athlone City? Nah, nobody would call Athlone a city.

Athlone United? Nah, two uniteds are enough.

Athlone Athletic . Mmmm, I like this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

We'll need Sadlier to have any hope though. A decent centre back and a forward that can score goals will keep us up, hope he can find them. Would like a centre midfielder too so we never have to see Roddan again. Worst player we've ever had.

For Sadlier's own sake a move would be good.

Definitely need a CM. We need 3 players minimum (CB, CM, ST). Do we have the money for that? Doubt it. The only way to get the players we need is to sell Sadlier I think.

(Un)Sporting Athlone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Oat23 wrote: »
    Definitely need a CM. We need 3 players minimum (CB, CM, ST). Do we have the money for that? Doubt it. The only way to get the players we need is to sell Sadlier I think.
    We were trying to sign Jordan Richards and the Dutch defender so there was something left in the budget. Richards would still be a great signing. Midfield three of Boylan, Russell and Kearns is decent but there's no cover at all and Russell in particular tends to miss games.

Stevens will go back freeing some wage money, I'd imagine, but I don't know what we are paying him. Gary Armstrong has already gone but wouldn't have been on big money anyway. Could see Mikey Place go out on loan too.

Jason McGuiness as player/assistant manager would be a good addition. Not expecting him to be the player he was last time here but an improvement on Leahy anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

We were trying to sign Jordan Richards and the Dutch defender so there was something left in the budget.

That was pre-season though. Things are different now and I suspect gates are lower than what the team projected. Not so sure the money is still there without letting some players go.

I doubt Stevens is on much if anything, along with Ayunga if it is possible to cut his loan short.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

joeysoap wrote:

The AA? Too easily ridiculed! :pac:

Athlone 38? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Oat23 wrote: »
    That was pre-season though. Things are different now and I suspect gates are lower than what the team projected. Not so sure the money is still there without letting some players go.

I doubt Stevens is on much if anything, along with Ayunga if it is possible to cut his loan short.
    I'd be inclined to keep Ayunga if he's not on big money. Looks decent, some of the time. There's a footballer in there somewhere.

Could be a few years til he shows it though, like Maguire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Round 1 completed

In current league order

Cork City - safe
    Dundalk - safe
    Bray w - safe
    Limerick

Derry City - safe
    Shans - 50% safe
    Drogs - 75 % safe
    Bohs. - 75% safe

Finn Harps - 75% safe
    Sligo Rovers - 90% safe
    St Pats - 50 % safe
    Galway U. - 75% safe

That's my twopenceworth after 1 st round

Nobody in immediate danger :)

Not sure Kenny S is that safe in Derry a few bad results in May and he's gone . IMHO

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Not sure Kenny S is that safe in Derry a few bad results in May and he's gone . IMHO

I don't agree. Derry are going through a rough period. No matches in the Brandywell, Ryan McBride tragedy, Dundalk signing two of their better players. I wouldn't be so hard on Kenny Shiels at this point. When Derry have the Brandywell back and are settled again it will be a different story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Cape Clear wrote: »

No chance. Derry are in much better shape than they were in 2015.
    I still think they will finish in the top 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Random thought: Who do you think will be the next team to join the league? Kerry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Random thought: Who do you think will be the next team to join the league? Kerry?
    Seemingly Monaghan are making noise about a possible return in the near future. They already have a team in the u19 league.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

One club I could see joining is St Mochtas from the LSL Senior Division. Very progressive club the last number of years. It wouldn't surprise me.

If Kerry and Monaghan join we have.12 trams in the first division and with only 10 left in the premier cant really have more than 1 relegated. Very hard to get out of the 1st in that scenario.

Frequent spins on the change of name roulette wheel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Athlone Academicals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Athlone Academicals.

More like Athlone Accumulators!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Athlone Algorithm FC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Kerry and Monoaghan/Cavan have 19s and 17s teams and with the 15s coming in this August and 13s in August '18 they'll have a youth set up already in place but the jump from 19s to Senior is massive though.

There was talk of Mayo trying to set up a team but they havent entered the youth leagues yet so doubt they'll be doing it anytime soon. From a purely bias viewpoint I'd rather Kerry join the league as it's not a bad away trip for Limerick and it's another Munster team in LOI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Where would St Mochta's play their league games? Not familiar with their facilities.

• Advertisement

Where would St Mochta's play their league games? Not familiar with their facilities.

Could maybe play at Morton Stadium if they were interested in joining the LOI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭DvB

MD1990 wrote: »

They're not interested in joining. Mentioned it to them a few weeks back & was told it would kill them financially.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

DvB wrote: »
    They're not interested in joining. Mentioned it to them a few weeks back & was told it would kill them financially.

That's the same story for a lot of clubs at that level I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

They'd want to be pulling in quite the crowd to create an atmosphere in that stadium. The running track makes you feel a mile away from the pitch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Mars Bar wrote: »
    They'd want to be pulling in quite the crowd to create an atmosphere in that stadium. The running track makes you feel a mile away from the pitch!

Tbh they charge a fiver into their LSL games and get decent enough crowds afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Depends on the opposition. They're challenging for the LSL title this year & the bigger games have had a few hundred at them. They have season tickets as well BTW. I've strolled down to a few games over the last couple of years and have to say the set up is great, but can see how the step up to the LOI would be a huge risk for a club like that.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

:eek: 9 team division 1 next year.

Out of curiosity by Wexford changing name is the debt written off ? Or do they still carry that debt.

Wexford FC is not a change of name, it is a totally new club. Wexford Youths, as a company, were liquidated. To the best of my knowledge, the liquidator did not take possession of the main assets of Wexford Youths, namely footballs, bibs, jerseys, pitch marker and bags of pasta. Those items are currently being borrowed by Wexford FC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Is it true Lissywollen is being renamed "Yankee" Stadium?

Wexford FC is not a change of name, it is a totally new club. Wexford Youths, as a company, were liquidated. To the best of my knowledge, the liquidator did not take possession of the main assets of Wexford Youths, namely footballs, bibs, jerseys, pitch marker and bags of pasta. Those items are currently being borrowed by Wexford FC

Pasta will have a use by date. 😀

On a serious note: what are their chances of surviving in division one for say 5 years? If they are 'borrowing' all of above it doesn't look like they have much finance behind them?

• Advertisement

A few more Dublin clubs should have 2nd teams entered into the LSL Senior Division.

UCD have a 2nd team in the division Rovers or Pats could enter a team. Would be good for some of the younger players who don't get much gametime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

Big fish,small pond comes to mind...these teams dont travel,remember playing their like underage,big inside the m50 in their neighborhood,that's it,no more no less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

sad to see a club with such history being smeared by a few bad eggs from eastern europe

if it happens to your club I hope ye are as condescending

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Getting front of the website coverage on the Irish Times and the Indo. No problem telling people about the bad things but won't even try promote the good unless they've no choice (Dundalk's European run).

Pasta will have a use by date. 😀

On a serious note: what are their chances of surviving in division one for say 5 years? If they are 'borrowing' all of above it doesn't look like they have much finance behind them?

Wexford Youths were run on a sound financial footing. Liquidation only happened because Mick's liquidator insisted that the club repay a €200k 'loan' he gave the club to build the gym. The day to day finances were sound and Wexford FC is being run on the same shoestring basis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I don't agree. Derry are going through a rough period. No matches in the Brandywell, Ryan McBride tragedy, Dundalk signing two of their better players. I wouldn't be so hard on Kenny Shiels at this point. When Derry have the Brandywell back and are settled again it will be a different story
    No chance. Derry are in much better shape than they were in 2015.
    I still think they will finish in the top 4.

In any other job I'd agree but this is football and guys don't always get the time to turn things around. Don't think Derry fans will appreciate that things are better in 2017 to 2015.

• Advertisement

Wexford Youths were run on a sound financial footing. Liquidation only happened because Mick's liquidator insisted that the club repay a €200k 'loan' he gave the club to build the gym. The day to day finances were sound and Wexford FC is being run on the same shoestring basis

Thanks Sue Pa, like most on here I am glad that there is a LOI team in Wexford. The league needs clubs in every corner and it's pretty clear now that despite the population, Dublin can't support more that 4 clubs, 5 if we count UCD. UCD are a seperate case as their supporters by their very nature are transient.

For that reason too, despite all the banter, we need Athlone to survive and thrive in the midlands.I attended matches at St.Mels park in the 70s and to their credit Lisseywollen is a massive improvement. We need the League of Ireland to be just that a League of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    sad to see a club with such history being smeared by a few bad eggs from eastern europe

I'm appalled by what's happening to your club. I'd guess that 99% of supporters of other LOI clubs are too. We're all too aware that this could happen to any club in the LOI - my own memories of what happened to Cork City not too long ago are still painful.

In general LOI supporters are quite a close-knit family, and no matter how much we say we "hate" Shels, Bohs, or whoever, the vast majority of us wouldn't want to see any team go under altogether.

Hopefully Athlone Town can sort their problems out, and soon. Unfortunately they don't have anything like the the support (in terms of numbers) that Cork City have, so maybe the chances of saving your club are far more unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Thanks Sue Pa, like most on here I am glad that there is a LOI team in Wexford. The league needs clubs in every corner and it's pretty clear now that despite the population, Dublin can't support more that 4 clubs, 5 if we count UCD. UCD are a seperate case as their supporters by their very nature are transient.

For that reason too, despite all the banter, we need Athlone to survive and thrive in the midlands.I attended matches at St.Mels park in the 70s and to their credit Lisseywollen is a massive improvement. We need the League of Ireland to be just that a League of Ireland.

Would love to see the a team from the Dublin 15 area step up to the league. Shelbourne should aim to go back to Ringsend, and maybe a Fingal project could be attempted again. I get what your saying about having teams from all over Ireland but I think Dublin is big enough to potentially have Pats, Rovers, Bohs all stay where they are, leave UCD to themselves, Cabinteely will be looking to get a stadium project going in DL, Dublin 15 FC out in Dublin 15, Swords/Fingal FC up there and send Shels back to Ringsend. Pie in the stuff I'm sure but just an idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Out of interest then, who owns the gym? You haven't listed it in the assets of Wexford Youths in your earlier reply

howiya wrote: »
    Out of interest then, who owns the gym? You haven't listed it in the assets of Wexford Youths in your earlier reply

Wexford Youths FC were always tenants at Ferrycarrig Park. All the buildings, land & physical property is now owned by the FAI and Wexford Football League, who purchased it from Mick's liquidator. It is rumoured that there is a clause which allows Mick to buy back the complex in 10 years

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

What's the likely punishment for Athlone if they're found guilty?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

flas wrote: »
    Big fish,small pond comes to mind...these teams dont travel,remember playing their like underage,big inside the m50 in their neighborhood,that's it,no more no less

absolutely agree. It shouldn't be an optional thing on their own behalf to choose to be in LOI or not. They should be 'encouraged' or 'persuaded' to participate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

nice_guy80 wrote: »

I blame the foreigners that got involved with the club personally. I can empathize with having dodgy people involved in your club and feeling powerless to stop it. We had Arkaga first and then had to put up Tommy No Bobs after all. The embarassment and anger we felt with that clown in charge isnt quickly forgotten.

Round 1 completed

In current league order

Cork City - safe
    Dundalk - safe
    Bray w - safe
    Limerick

Derry City - safe
    Shans - 50% safe
    Drogs - 75 % safe
    Bohs. - 75% safe

Finn Harps - 75% safe
    Sligo Rovers - 90% safe
    St Pats - 50 % safe
    Galway U. - 75% safe

That's my twopenceworth after 1 st round

Nobody in immediate danger :)

Dundalk - 70% Safe

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

irish_goat wrote: »
    What's the likely punishment for Athlone if they're found guilty?

Not sure what the punishment for the club would be, but hopefully jail time for anyone involved in criminal activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Nice set of results last night. Thought Bray might have kept the gap at 12 so to see them drop points was fun.

14 points clear but if any club can make a mess of this it's CCFC :(

My love for Conor McCormack grows weekly. A proper absolute bastard on the pitch. Even to his own players he is a bastard. But he gets the job done. Clever sub last night as I felt he was going to get himself sent off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Anybody seen pighead lads ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

On a surfboard off Clogherhead ...

I still expect Dundalk to finish 2nd & they can really concentrate on Europe & the 2 cups although doing as well as last year in Europe is very unlikely.

I wonder after this season would Kenny consider leaving or try & regain the title again?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement