Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

City got another penalty last night, it's just so unfair really. Hope nobody tells Kenny!:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Anybody seen pighead lads ? :D

I would like to know how White Horse is, he had a very strong opinion on Ronan Finn's mentality after the first game in Oriel, bottler I think was his word.

He ran the game while Dundalk wilted... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Wilberto wrote: »
    Dundalk - 70%

:P

:):):)

We had Sean Caffrey as manager before SK and it took over 22 matches before he 'mutually' agreed to go. And who will forget Trevor Anderson? He appeared to spend the whole season in a trance, lying against the dugout for support.

Nope, unless he decides to leave for family reasons SK can manage the town for as long as he likes.

* if Monaghan didn't fold that year it's debatable if we would have made the playoffs. We actually got worse as the season progressed. Darius Kieran's got us out of jail that year. And that was only 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Anybody seen pighead lads ? :D
    I'm here creating a banner for the EA Sports Cup semi-finals. Dundalk, Cork, Galway and Shamrock Rovers. Two massive clubs as well as Cork and Galway fighting it out for one of the top three prestigious trophies in domestic football. The champions may be struggling in the league but we still have plenty of lands to conquer this season. Our trophy cabinet will be added to in the coming months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Pighead wrote: »
    I'm here creating a banner for the EA Sports Cup semi-finals. Dundalk, Cork, Galway and Shamrock Rovers. Two massive clubs as well as Cork and Galway fighting it out for one of the top three prestigious trophies in domestic football. The champions may be struggling in the league but we still have plenty of lands to conquer this season. Our trophy cabinet will be added to in the coming months.

Don't ever change, you are always good for a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

dfx- wrote: »
    I would like to know how White Horse is, he had a very strong opinion on Ronan Finn's mentality after the first game in Oriel, bottler I think was his word.

He ran the game while Dundalk wilted... :)

Yeah his reply to my suggestion that the rovers squad was a young squad that weren't on tonnes of money as white horse said was
    Big money going on staff and Ronan Finn, of course.

Ground staff are busy wiping up all the brown streaks he left on the pitch. He didn't have the bottle to start that game tonight.

Part timer.
    Well that part timer without bottle didn't do too badly yesterday did he? 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Why don't Bray have any fans? Second in the table and they can't even draw 1K people last time I checked. Limerick were getting 1,200 people in the gate late season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Why don't Bray have any fans? Second in the table and they can't even draw 1K people last time I checked. Limerick were getting 1,200 people in the gate late season.
    1,200 at the game last night! But alot of Pats fans. The Carlisle ground is an absolute dump, Which dosent help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

wadacrack wrote: »
    1,200 at the game last night! But alot of Pats fans. The Carlisle ground is an absolute dump, Which dosent help
    That's why average attendances are a bit pointless.

For example clubs like Sligo/Galway/Derry don't get that many away fans, relative to other clubs, and their averages are a fairly accurate summation of their home support (obviously there are SOME exceptions). You'll see Bray/Drogheda and even the likes of Pats, who have a relatively poor home support, having averages of over 1,000 when they don't really, it's misleading.

A good example of an accurate gate is when Bray/Drogheda/Pats for example play somebody like Galway United or Sligo Rovers, when there won't be more than 100 away fans (in most cases, again there are exceptions), because those teams gate are heavily increased by away fans from Dundalk/Pats/Bohs/Rovers. Bray had 450 or something mad against us a few weeks and they are contesting Europe, how do they pay their players?!. Last night I'd estimate Drogheda had 600 against us at most.

Also I wouldn't use the Carlisle Grounds condition as an excuse, Oriel Park is a dump also, but Dundalk is just a football town I suppose, similar to Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Updated Cann Table after this weekend's games. There's now a bigger gap between 1st and 2nd than there is between 2nd and 12th.

The other 11 is very competitive, in fairness. The bottom three seem to be changing regularly and the teams at the bottom are picking up some points. Teams that looked to have a bit of a cushion are being drawn back into it (Bohs and Drogs). There are still a few teams in it for Europe. And then there's Limerick and Rovers, who are five points from Europe and five points from the relegation zone.

Things just get better every week for City. Every time we're winning and I hear the scores in other games, I just can't believe it. I still refuse to believe that it's over, though. We'll hit a bad patch eventually and if Bray and Dundalk put a run together, they'll get a bit closer. It's great to have built up a cushion, though. In past years when we hit bad patches, we were right behind the leaders, so it allowed them to build a gap and pull away and it just deflated us. Now that we've a big lead, when we do hit that patch, we'll still have a bit of a cushion, so we'll still have the confidence to get out of the rut sooner.

Points|Team [GD] (games in hand)
    36| Cork City [28]
    35|
    34|
    33|
    32|
    31|
    30|
    29|
    28|
    27|
    26|
    25|
    24|
    23|
    22| Bray Wanderers [6]
    21| Dundalk [8]
    20|
    19|
    18| Derry City [6] (+1)
    17|
    16| Limerick [2]; Shamrock Rovers [-2]
    15|
    14| Drogheda United [-8]
    13| Sligo Rovers [-5]; Bohemians [-11]
    12|
    11| Finn Harps [-11]
    10| St Patrick's Athletic [-7]
    9| Galway United [-6] (+1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Would love to see the a team from the Dublin 15 area step up to the league. Shelbourne should aim to go back to Ringsend, and maybe a Fingal project could be attempted again. I get what your saying about having teams from all over Ireland but I think Dublin is big enough to potentially have Pats, Rovers, Bohs all stay where they are, leave UCD to themselves, Cabinteely will be looking to get a stadium project going in DL, Dublin 15 FC out in Dublin 15, Swords/Fingal FC up there and send Shels back to Ringsend. Pie in the stuff I'm sure but just an idea

Anyone in Dublin 15 who is into LOI football is already a Bohs fan. It's a Bohs stronghold. There's a smattering of Shels too but I honestly don't see people getting on board with a D15 team, especially in the 1st Division. The way I see it, Bohs is the team of Dublin's Northside, no real need for another new team as we've seen with Dublin City and Fingal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

One of the recently appointed coaches doesn't even have a C Licence, let alone the required B licence.

Weird times at Athlone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

Harps AGM last night, books finely balanced last year. Made a lost of €465. Stadium does sound to be moving forward.
    A meeting with the Capital sports scheme took place in February and new plans were submitted.

New structure
    Stadium to have to fully seated stands and terraced ends 5,500-6,000 capacity
    West Stand(current build) 1954 seats with admin building, changing room
    East Stand approx 2000-2500 seats
    2 x Terraced ends combined capacity of approx 1500
    (total capacity 5500 - 6000 then)

Above is rough guide,
    plans are currently with FAI and county board, its expect to have decision made in 6-8 weeks. When a general supporters meeting will be called and fully details plans published
    Its planned to have project complete ready for start of 2019 or 2020 season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Omackeral wrote: »
    Anyone in Dublin 15 who is into LOI football is already a Bohs fan. It's a Bohs stronghold. There's a smattering of Shels too but I honestly don't see people getting on board with a D15 team, especially in the 1st Division. The way I see it, Bohs is the team of Dublin's Northside, no real need for another new team as we've seen with Dublin City and Fingal.

I know more Rovers fans than Bohs in D15. But other than that spot on. There's no appetite or need for a LOI club in D15.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Anyone in Dublin 15 who is into LOI football is already a Bohs fan. It's a Bohs stronghold.

You've an odd definition of stronghold....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Blanchardstown is one of Bohs prime target areas for fans.

Link up with Blanch IT sought to re-enforce this.

It's right along the m50 from tallaght so you get a fair few rovers fans from around there,and with this linkup with corduff that number is only going to grow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Very hard to predict who will go down this year. Anyone from 5th to 12th is very much in the battle. Wouldn't have thought Pat's would be in the battle at all but they look in real trouble now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

We should have beaten Derry tonight, they'd the better of the first half but we dominated the second. Ger Doherty should have been sent off for a deliberate handball outside the area early on, how he wasn't is beyond me. We had four clear cut chances second half but just didn't take them. Off the bottom at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Very hard to predict who will go down this year. Anyone from 5th to 12th is very much in the battle. Wouldn't have thought Pat's would be in the battle at all but they look in real trouble now.
    Galway, Sligo and Harps for me.

Just watching Soccer Republic, Limerick were totally dominated by Sligo. They gifted them three goals (credit where credit is due, they were well taken) with the second one being Russell-esque

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Unreal. Even if Ayunga isn't there Raf could run onto it himself. What a man he is.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I wish the gang on Soccer Republic (still think of it as MNS :)) would stop talking about the league as though we've already won it! It's happening in newspapers too.

I know City are in a great position but FFS there's a long, long way to go yet and if we do Fck it up, the fall will be even harder to bear now that some people are talking as though it's all over already :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its far from over and anything can happen, but its ours to blow away now.

Dont win it this season and we will never hear end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

Re new teams. Would having a team from every county be realistic? Even if a third tir like the A championship was needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

No. In the last 15 years or so Kilkenny have had a club fold, as have Kildare and Monaghan. Dublin with its population has seen Torpedo Fingal and Dublin City appear and disappear in that time frame too and the likes of Shells are on life support.

Only way it could work is if there was a pyramid system, but that will never happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

cms88 wrote: »
    Re new teams. Would having a team from every county be realistic? Even if a third tir like the A championship was needed?

In a dreamland it would be great, in reality it would never work. We simply dont have the population to have something like that, and not only do we not have the population, a large % of what we do have is committed to GAA. Id love to see what football on this island would be like if the GAA was never a thing.

I'd love to see a pyramid structure introduced which could lead to a league representing every county, but sadly it will never be, until:

a) The GAA implodes
    OR
    b) English PL matches are banned from the airwaves
    OR
    c) The FAI finally start to give a fcuk about the League of Ireland

Until any of the above happen, it will never be practical and affordable (it's debatable as to which of the above are least likely :D)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Its far from over and anything can happen, but its ours to blow away now.

Dont win it this season and we will never hear end of it.

We will have to beat Sligo, Limerick, Pats and Derry, You will have to lose at least 1 of Galway, Drogheda, Sligo or Limerick...Then we will have to beat you, to have any chance of a title race when the break resumes.

Looking at our 4 games before you, we wont get 12 points the way we are playing!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

gimmick wrote: »
    No. In the last 15 years or so Kilkenny have had a club fold, as have Kildare and Monaghan. Dublin with its population has seen Torpedo Fingal and Dublin City appear and disappear in that time frame too and the likes of Shells are on life support.

Only way it could work is if there was a pyramid system, but that will never happen.

I think the pyramid system would be great and would allow teams to move up, hopefully with promotion teams would have a following. If a team wins the third tier they'll have a following but a team that finishes bottom of the first each season has no chance of attracting decent crowds. Sometimes I think relegation could reinject life into a club if they get the chance to start winning again. Fresh blood could be good also but I do recognise that fresh blood would replace teams on the way right down.

Kilkenny had it's chance, team came and went, many great nights but people don't want to watch a struggling team. I would love if a team like Evergreen entered the league with a good underage base and community goodwill behind them already, I think though entering the league could see a lot of good work undone.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

Dundalk profits up a bit after that Euro run.

Hopefully we will see some of it ploughed into Oriel.

https://fora.ie/dundalk-europa-league-winnings-money-3380731-May2017/

Can't see us qualifying for the Champs League (unless we do a Utd and get in the back door :pac: )

Feel a bit sorry for Sligo Rovers tomorrow evening. There is a Dundalk backlash about to strike and unfortunately the boys from the west are about to feel it's full force. The squad have been training like dogs this week and with a rumoured new formation about to be unleashed (three at the back) I have a feeling normal service is about to be resumed. I fully expect Sligo to get a tonking tomorrow evening. I'm putting my cards on the table and calling it: 4-0 Dundalk.

Feel a bit sorry for Sligo Rovers tomorrow evening. There is a Dundalk backlash about to strike and unfortunately the boys from the west are about to feel it's full force. The squad have been training like dogs this week and with a rumoured new formation about to be unleashed (three at the back) I have a feeling normal service is about to be resumed. I fully expect Sligo to get a tonking tomorrow evening. I'm putting my cards on the table and calling it: 4-0 Dundalk.

Unfortunately Pighead to score 4 we would need to create about 40. The conversion rate of chances taken to chances created is poor at the moment. Kilduff for a big lad doesn't get to as many crosses as he should and he misses as many as he scores (sitter against Legia, against Cork in the final, against Maccabi etc etc. I was hoping that Steward would step into goal scoring mode, and it still might happen, but we don't have a Maguire in the squad. McMillan is still the pick, but even he doesnt score as many as Hoban or Towell. Benson is a big loss going forward.

I hope your right but right now I'd settle for a run of squeaky wins (like City had before they got into their stride)

joeysoap wrote: »
    Unfortunately Pighead to score 4 we would need to create about 40. The conversion rate of chances taken to chances created is poor at the moment. Kilduff for a big lad doesn't get to as many crosses as he should and he misses as many as he scores (sitter against Legia, against Cork in the final, against Maccabi etc etc. I was hoping that Steward would step into goal scoring mode, and it still might happen, but we don't have a Maguire in the squad. McMillan is still the pick, but even he doesnt score as many as Hoban or Towell. Benson is a big loss going forward.

I hope your right but right now I'd settle for a run of squeaky wins (like City had before they got into their stride)

There's only ONE Seanie :D

joeysoap wrote: »

Benson is expected back next week, he is back training Thank God. Massive loss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Dave Mooney and Pat Hoban released by Southend and Mansfield respectively. Wonder will either be tempted to come home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Mooney to Shamrock and Hoban to Cork City possibly? They'll know Maguire will be gone in the summer or end of season so theres a starting striker spot ready to be taken, with McMillan and Kilduff at Dundalk Im not sure it would be as straight forward, although Kilduff is crap so maybe it would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

Just when Athlone fans thought things couldn't get any worse............ they appoint Roddy Collins again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Just when Athlone fans thought things couldn't get any worse............ they appoint Roddy Collins again :rolleyes:

Did the Portuguese lads do a runner?

• Advertisement

Can't keep a good man down!

Where the fcuk are they getting the money to pay him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Played 3 at the back against rovers for a bit. Didn't work too well but maybe an extra weeks training will make a bit of difference. Surely they should have been training like dogs in preparation for rovers after losing to Galway last week as well though? I wouldn't be so confident as to predict 4-0 if I were you

Can one of you Cork lads drop by our forum and pick up one of your own when you get a chance? He's rambling on about Sadlier as well as Caulfield being a better manager than Paul Cook. I think the poor lad is lost, bless him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Oat23 wrote: »
    Can one of you Cork lads drop by our forum and pick up one of your own when you get a chance? He's rambling on about Sadlier as well as Caulfield being a better manager than Paul Cook. I think the poor lad is lost, bless him.

There's lots of rumors about Sadlier wanting to come here around the City tbf and normally these amounts of rumors have a decent source they wouldn't just be made up

There's lots of rumors about Sadlier wanting to come here around the City tbf and normally these amounts of rumors have a decent source they wouldn't just be made up

That's been well known for ages. Cork wanted him in the winter too but Robbo wouldn't let him go.

Also rumoured to be a target for Portsmouth and another League 1 club. He can do better than Cork and the LOI.

• Advertisement

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Played 3 at the back against rovers for a bit. Didn't work too well but maybe an extra weeks training will make a bit of difference. Surely they should have been training like dogs in preparation for rovers after losing to Galway last week as well though? I wouldn't be so confident as to predict 4-0 if I were you
    We won the game 1-0 after we went three at the back against Rovers!

CHealy wrote: »
    Mooney to Shamrock and Hoban to Cork City possibly? They'll know Maguire will be gone in the summer or end of season so theres a starting striker spot ready to be taken, with McMillan and Kilduff at Dundalk Im not sure it would be as straight forward, although Kilduff is crap so maybe it would.

Would love to see Mooney back in Cork.

Athlone article from the Asia Times here. Seems it's the Chinese lads involved. Usually a great bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Delighted for Roddy and Athlone. He should have been kept on the last time. I have such respect for him having worked closely with him at Monaghan United. Best of luck to them.

Witchie wrote: »
    Delighted for Roddy and Athlone. He should have been kept on the last time. I have such respect for him having worked closely with him at Monaghan United. Best of luck to them.

Hahaha

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement