Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

And that's why he keeps getting jobs I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Pighead wrote: »
    We won the game 1-0 after we went three at the back against Rovers!

In the 90something th minutes, from a free kick hoofed in, against 10 men, formation didn't really have much to do with the goal and you were cut open easily enough at times with 3 at the back.

Would love to see Mooney back in Cork.

Fine you take one we'll take one, we'll even let you pick :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Roddy did a great job at Athlone the last time he was there, the facts speak for themselves.

It's a club with an absolutely mighty tradition - it's absolutely pathetic what's happened there and the Rod will go in with a bit of knowledge and respect, and get them on an even keel. They're not going to win the division but things will improve.

Got a good laugh at the mention of Roddy and respect in the same sentence.

He's a bluffer. That's been obvious for about 15 years now, maybe more. For some reason once you get a job as a manager you keep getting them no matter how **** you are. We'll probably see Dave Robertson back with somebody before too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I don't see the point in Roddy going back there. If that Asia Times article is correct and the club is criminal from the top down as the evidence would suggest, why would any manager go there and why would any Athlone fan go to games? Wait until it falls apart and start again.

If the club was run by decent folks who actually had ambitions to do well on the pitch, it would be a great hire as he has successfully promoted 2 teams (including Athlone already) from the graveyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

CHealy wrote: »
    Mooney to Shamrock and Hoban to Cork City possibly? They'll know Maguire will be gone in the summer or end of season so theres a starting striker spot ready to be taken, with McMillan and Kilduff at Dundalk Im not sure it would be as straight forward, although Kilduff is crap so maybe it would.

I think Dundalk should just buy Cork City . :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

Got a good laugh at the mention of Roddy and respect in the same sentence.

He's a bluffer. That's been obvious for about 15 years now, maybe more. For some reason once you get a job as a manager you keep getting them no matter how **** you are. We'll probably see Dave Robertson back with somebody before too long.

He should start giving tips on interviews as he's obviously quite good at them!

Has there even been a manager who's lived off one achievement more than him?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Benson and Gannon in the squad tonight. Can see Benson getting game time

Galway win and we win and the titles on (joke)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Benson and Gannon in the squad tonight. Can see Benson getting game time

Galway win and we win and the titles on (joke)

22 games to play. Should that happen tonight, its 12 points to you, 11 to Bray. We go away to Sligo next week where we will drop points as well. You lot beat us just before the break and all of a sudden its 8-9 points and we are panicking.

Long long road to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

gimmick wrote: »
    22 games to play. Should that happen tonight, its 12 points to you, 11 to Bray. We go away to Sligo next week where we will drop points as well. You lot beat us just before the break and all of a sudden its 8-9 points and we are panicking.

Long long road to go.

I have it as 21 games to play and we are at home to Drogheda next week. But I take your point, after Galway tonight and Drogheda next week, we have Sligo away, Shamrocks at home and then Dundalk away. Shamrocks at home will be easy but we rarely play well against Sligo and Dundalk is Dundalk so that could go either way. Id take three wins and two draws to bring us upto the break starting with Galway tonight.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Feel a bit sorry for Sligo Rovers tomorrow evening. There is a Dundalk backlash about to strike and unfortunately the boys from the west are about to feel it's full force. The squad have been training like dogs this week and with a rumoured new formation about to be unleashed (three at the back) I have a feeling normal service is about to be resumed. I fully expect Sligo to get a tonking tomorrow evening. I'm putting my cards on the table and calling it: 4-0 Dundalk.

Credit where credit's due. You called that one perfectly.

Feel a bit sorry for Sligo Rovers tomorrow evening. There is a Dundalk backlash about to strike and unfortunately the boys from the west are about to feel it's full force. The squad have been training like dogs this week and with a rumoured new formation about to be unleashed (three at the back) I have a feeling normal service is about to be resumed. I fully expect Sligo to get a tonking tomorrow evening. I'm putting my cards on the table and calling it: 4-0 Dundalk.

I should be :(

But I'm not , :):):):)

You called it Pighead, well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Excellent performance and point from us tonight against the leaders. Might have been an off night for Cork but I didn't think they were particularly great. An even game where we were better first half and they in the second. One loss in twelve now and just need to start beating the teams around us.

On another note, why is it that Caulfield is allowed to have his technical area run the length of the sideline? Haven't seen it for any other managers, not even Ollie.

Wilberto wrote: »
    Credit where credit's due. You called that one perfectly.

In fairness he did. Though wasn't exactly a tonking going by the live updates dundalk seemed to just have that little bit extra that you expect them to have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Another great win for us in Donegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

D14Rugby wrote: »
    In fairness he did. Though wasn't exactly a tonking going by the live updates dundalk seemed to just have that little bit extra that you expect them to have

It could have been 6/7. Dundalk should have had at least one more penalty for a handball and possibly another. McMillan should have scored, the whole goal at his mercy and he hit it straight at the keeper, anywhere else and it was in.

That said, until Dundalk got the second goal, I was still extremely nervous. I think until Gannon gets back and the defence improves significantly, there is always a feeling that we will concede goals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Raoul wrote: »
    It could have been 6/7. Dundalk should have had at least one more penalty for a handball and possibly another.

Dundalk got a penalty....Typical! :pac:

ShamoBuc wrote: »

:) and from a Cork ref too!!

Mind it was the 93rd minute and was fairly blatant. Bottled the one when it was no score.

• Advertisement

Raoul wrote: »
    It could have been 6/7. Dundalk should have had at least one more penalty for a handball and possibly another. McMillan should have scored, the whole goal at his mercy and he hit it straight at the keeper, anywhere else and it was in.

That said, until Dundalk got the second goal, I was still extremely nervous. I think until Gannon gets back and the defence improves significantly, there is always a feeling that we will concede goals.

Noticed right back was a problem against Rovers alright without him. I think every defender bar massey played there at some point before dundalk went 3 a the back, missing Keane there as a good backup.

We're missing Keane ourselves..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Good point in mentioning Keane as a loss for cover at right bak. I think though he didnt really want the intensity/time away of the playing schedule that Dundalk had last season especially in Europe. Ironically a protracted European run is unlikely again the way we are playing unless we can recreate the 2nd half like performance last night + some and get another good draw in the 2nd round and hopefully never see Borisaw again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Good point in mentioning Keane as a loss for cover at right bak. I think though he didnt really want the intensity/time away of the playing schedule that Dundalk had last season especially in Europe. Ironically a protracted European run is unlikely again the way we are playing unless we can recreate the 2nd half like performance last night + some and get another good draw in the 2nd round and hopefully never see Borisaw again!
    I think Benson is a huge catalyst for this. He didn't have a fantastic game but he was looking for the ball constantly from defence and when he did get it he was driving it forward. If we look at the Galway game, we missed that massively. The midfield was largely bypassed.

In the first round of games, I think Dundalk were unlucky not to absolutely hammer a few teams. Drogheda in particular, that could have been 4/5-nil. Then when we weren't hammering teams, injuries piled up and the confidence was shot...the trouble started appearing. Coupled with the fact that almost every goal we conceded could be put down to an a defensive error rather than just a great goal, I think that everything just compounded the pressure on the team. Hopefully that second half performance will give the team a huge lift and we can kick on.

I don't think the league is over by a long shot. If Dundalk better a few Cork results and beat them twice, then it will be very interesting.

Terrific atmosphere at White Hart Lane for the last match at the old ground after 118 years. Confess I have a soft spot for Spurs from the 60's when Bill Nicholson was their manager. In 1981/82 Dundalk drew Spurs in the Cup Winners Cup.
    Drew 1 - 1 in Oriel and last 0- 1 at White Hart Lane against a very good Spurs side.

Oriel match report (look at the players Spurs had that night)

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/argus/lifestyle/dundalk-rewarded-for-decision-to-play-spurs-at-oriel-26958088.html

White Hart Lane match

https://youtu.be/jTukFNECsIk

Barca beat Spurs in the semi final and went on to win the cup. (Some things don't change :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Lads does anyone know of any League of Ireland books or just books about soccer in Ireland like the Limerick Junior Soccer Chronicles book? I know of Neal Horgan's two about Cork and Just Follow the floodlights by Brian Kennedy, anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Lads does anyone know of any League of Ireland books or just books about soccer in Ireland like the Limerick Junior Soccer Chronicles book? I know of Neal Horgan's two about Cork and Just Follow the floodlights by Brian Kennedy, anything else?
    There's only one red army by Eamonn Sweeney is excellent. It's about his experiences of being a fan of Sligo Rovers. Some great stories in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Gods Vs Mortals by Paul Keane is a good read about ten selected LOI teams in Europe matches. Brian Kennedy also has two books about Waterford United "Singing the Blues" and "Blue, White, Dynamite". I enjoyed them although they could be difficult to find.

I don't know if it's still getable

http://historyofdundalkfc.net/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Great list put together by a Shamrock Rovers fan. A lot of the books however are out of print.

https://leagueofirelandhistory.wordpress.com/2015/12/30/league-of-ireland-books/

I'd recommend Who Stole Our Game as far and away the best of what I've read. Gods vs Mortals is excellent too, and Neal Horgan's two books on Cork are well worth a read.

The Book of the FAI Cup, the Irish Soccer Split and Green is the Colour are great general books on Irish football. GITC book is far better than the dvd series.

Edit-> Updated list there: https://leagueofirelandhistory.wordpress.com/2017/01/25/league-of-ireland-books-update/

Is that Ollie Horgan losing his mind in the background of Harps and Bray on Soccer Republic? :D

• Advertisement

How the fkuc is Buttimer still getting matches? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

Is that Ollie Horgan losing his mind in the background of Harps and Bray on Soccer Republic? :D
    It would be. Had a suspension and perched himself in the tv gantry for a better view! :D Figured this would happen!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

joeysoap wrote: »
    How the fkuc is Buttimer still getting matches? :confused:

Hilarious penalty decision. I'm fairly sure any game he is refereeing is not the game everyone else sees. Did he get a different copy of the laws of the game with his refereeing badge?

In fairness to Drogheda he'll probably deny one of their rivals with one of his made up decisions soon to balance it out.

dfx- wrote: »
    Hilarious penalty decision. I'm fairly sure any game he is refereeing is not the game everyone else sees. Did he get a different copy of the laws of the game with his refereeing badge?

In fairness to Drogheda he'll probably deny one of their rivals with one of his made up decisions soon to balance it out.

Maybe he was squaring off the penalty he gave in the cup semi in 2013 :)

He's a joke, long past P45 time. Where are all these young new referees?

As for Ollie, he's gas, and (nearly) every 4th official gets an earful at some stage in every match. He's right as often as he's wrong though.

Just seen the replay. Shocking decision. That tackle was the only decent thing Tobi's done all season.

Just seen the replay. Shocking decision. That tackle was the only decent thing Tobi's done all season.

Seen them given/not given, (nothing compared to Buttimere decision) but at 3- 0 in the 93rd minute it made no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Seen them given/not given, (nothing compared to Buttimere decision) but at 3- 0 in the 93rd minute it made no difference.
    With 3 teams being relegated it could make a massive difference at the finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

red sean wrote: »
    With 3 teams being relegated it could make a massive difference at the finish.

Well he turned down a stonewall penalty in the first half so it evens out

Interesting EA Cup semi finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

Just seen Keating got a new contract at torquay on sky news. Must have found a bit of drive again if he's being signed just as the season ended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

overshoot wrote: »
    Just seen Keating got a new contract at torquay on sky news. Must have found a bit of drive again if he's being signed just as the season ended.

He scored a few goals and his goals helped them avoid relegation

Neil McDonald is the new Limerick FC manager on a contract that runs until the end of the 2019 season. Played 180 times for Newcastle United in his playing career and was most recently the assistant manager for Hull City until January of this year. Examiner article here.

Looks like a good choice. Decent salary I'd say.

Seanie to Preston?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

He's definitely going but there are a few interested parties.

City had 20 mins in the first half where they were simply imperious. Scored 4 in that spell and could have scored another, Shepperd and Dooley destroying them on both wings.
    How we only scored 1 in the second half is beyond me, Campion should have scored from his 1 on 1 and then pummelled a header into the ground that bounced over the bar from a few yards out and Seanie should have scored another.
    All in all a great response to drawing last week but drugs were simply awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

A cracking match in Inchicore tonight. Superb entertainment.

.........but drugs were simply awful.

I thought the craic was great at the X this year :rolleyes:

I thought the craic was great at the X this year :rolleyes:

Not much craic in the away end ;)

Not much craic in the away end ;)

I was joking about the 'Drugs' being awful. Should have spelt it crack :)

plenty of craic in the shed though :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I was joking about the 'Drugs' being awful. Should have spelt it crack :)

plenty of craic in the shed though :)

I got the joke anyway so don't worry! :pac: :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement