Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

He can see his favourite player 'your man in the green and white shirt' no matter who wears their home kit!

I know this is a joke but i really hope who wears their home kit isn't up for discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

gimmick wrote: »
    Do Irish people still support Celtic as much as they used to in the late 90s, early 2000s?

Nowhere near as much.

Post-Italia90 it was all the rage and then the mid-90s with Rangers going for 10 in a row. Most under 25s in Ireland today would have far more interest in La Liga and the CL than the one horse stroll in northern Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Omackeral wrote:
    Shamrock Rovers vs Celtic announced for July. This guy won't know what to do with himself.

In that video I'm nearly sure he's a st Patrick's athletic fan so he'll be "Mon the hoops" all day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

In that video I'm nearly sure he's a st Patrick's athletic fan so he'll be "Mon the hoops" all day
    Going to be a headwreck for him to clarify:
    "'mon the hoops"
    "'mon the Green and White hoops"
    "'mon the Irish hoops"
    "'mon the non-Ireland-based Irish hoops" :rolleyes:, though it doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Going to be a headwreck for him to clarify:
    "'mon the hoops"
    "'mon the Green and White hoops"
    "'mon the Irish hoops"
    "'mon the non-Ireland-based Irish hoops" :rolleyes:, though it doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

You talking through your hoop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

3-2 to Limerick at half time, if you want something to show your u13s team on how not to defend then the first half of Limerick vs Bray is what you need to show them. Could very easily end up 10-9 the way things are going.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Maguire is something else.

A pulverising. Are we into "stop stop he's already dead territory"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A pulverising. Are we into "stop stop he's already dead territory"?

It's Dundalk......Don't Ever Stop !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

A perfect performance from Cork City tonight. No more to say really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cork Bottling it like mad at the minute.

Cork bottle job underway!

Reminder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Cannot score vs 9 men for the majority of the 2nd half vs Shels. Utter gash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

A perfect performance from Cork City tonight. No more to say really.

What a team! The bench tonight was ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

If City can hold that team together they could do very well in Europe. Very strong performance last night. Couldn't see any weak links. We had 4 great seasons with the nucleus of that Dundalk team, they did us proud, played some magnificent football and have given us terrific memories. And they are still the 2nd best team in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Very random but check out No 2 on this list :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,064 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Joseph, legend.
    Always loved watching him play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

See on rte that McGuire agrees move to Preston

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Mushy wrote: »
    See on rte that McGuire agrees move to Preston

Ironic when you think of him kissing the badge in front of the Dundalk fans last night !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Greyson must think the LOI is a PNE nursery :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

blingrhino wrote: »
    Ironic when you think of him kissing the badge in front of the Dundalk fans last night !

Not sure you understand the meaning of ironic.

If he were moving to dundalk , yes, but Preston..... no. He clearly loves the club and the fans, that is in no way lessened by the move to Preston, everyone would agree it's the right thing for him to do. If we get sufficient clauses... buy on, appearances, goals, international call up etc it could be a very nice money spinner for city as well, which is always needed, outside of the actual transfer fee which I would guess to be 150-200k mark.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Not sure you understand the meaning of ironic.

If he were moving to dundalk , yes, but Preston..... no. He clearly loves the club and the fans, that is in no way lessened by the move to Preston, everyone would agree it's the right thing for him to do. If we get sufficient clauses... buy on, appearances, goals, international call up etc it could be a very nice money spinner for city as well, which is always needed, outside of the actual transfer fee which I would guess to be 150-200k mark.

Plus getting him for Europe. He could potentially be worth 600k ish in European money

blingrhino wrote: »

Gotta try harder!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

1939 was the last time a player from Kk was capped, hopefully the magic airplane gets Seani one.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Omackeral wrote: »
    Very random but check out No 2 on this list :P

UCD made a football compilation video!!!:D:D:D

Ronan Murray to City from Galway is the talk.

I know nothing about him. Up to much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ronan Murray to City from Galway is the talk.

I know nothing about him. Up to much?

Hopefully it's just talk. We need to hold onto him. He's not a central striker so I'm surprised ye would look to him as a replacement for Maguire. He can play any forward position, technically very good, good shot on him, good free and pen taker. Works his legs off most games. Can get frustrated easily, gives the ball away a bit too much and gets stupid yellows a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Reminder.

Before that Sligo game, we were 13 points ahead. When we were losing and missed the penalty, Dundalk must have thought they'd be 10 points behind by beating Derry the following day and then 7 by beating us. That would have had them well in with a shout of catching us, especially with Maguire leaving (the talk then being end of June/start of July). Instead they're 18 points behind. An 11 point swing (kind of) and we get an extra month out of Maguire than we thought.

Look at the Cann Table below. You have to scroll down just to see another team other than City!

Points|Team [GD]
    49| Cork City [40]
    48|
    47|
    46|
    45|
    44|
    43|
    42|
    41|
    40|
    39|
    38|
    37|
    36|
    35|
    34|
    33|
    32|
    31| Dundalk [14]
    30|
    29|
    28| Derry City [9]
    27| Bray Wanderers [4]
    26| Shamrock Rovers [-1]
    25|
    24|
    23| Limerick [1]
    22|
    21|
    20| Bohemians [-12]
    19|
    18| Finn Harps [-12]
    17| Drogheda United [-15]
    16| Sligo Rovers [-10]
    15| St Patrick's Athletic [-9]
    14| Galway United [-9]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Paz-CCFC wrote: »

Look at the Cann Table below. You have to scroll down just to see another team other than City!

And yet I know a couple of fans of your club who insist on the whole "there's a lot of football to be played" kind of nonsense.

It's done and dusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Are people still saying there is a title race? There isn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

And yet I know a couple of fans of your club who insist on the whole "there's a lot of football to be played" kind of nonsense.

It's done and dusted.

Nothing wrong with a bit of humbleness. Especially if it's from a Cork person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

It’s not real humility, it’s tactical in advance of them getting their arses handed to them in Europe again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Bateman wrote: »
    It’s not real humility, it’s tactical in advance of them getting their arses handed to them in Europe again

We made it to ELQ3 last year and got knocked out 3-1 on aggregate by eventual Quarter Finalists???????

Anyway looks like we are being stripped apart much quicker than Dundalk were over the last few seasons, Kevin O'Connor now apparently close to signing for Preston. Least we have a gem in Shane Griffin ready to come in as a straight swap for him, very similar players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Bateman wrote: »

Humility 101 from this guy eh :pac:

You say that as if losing in Europe is some sort of Cork thing rather than a LOI thing? Who do you support?

Also it's not a title race because of other clubs not because of the team on top.

I could be typing about how amazing a season it is and other teams should feel privileged to be on the pitch with us and how other fans should marvel at the attacking play and amazing goals and wonderful individual displays. I don't, nor have I ever. As seen by some fan of another club last week, posting stuff like that can bite you on the ass.

Speaking for myself, I am delighted where we are and long may it continue. But due to my pessimistic and superstitious nature when it comes to CCFC, ill believe its in the bag when the trophy is being lifted by whoever happens to be our captain on that particular day.

Of course it would take a monumental effort to not win it from here. 10 wins by my reckoning seals it. and thats assuming Dundalk win all their remaining 16.

Kev O Connor goneski too by the looks.

• Advertisement

Kev O Connor goneski too by the looks.

Ya, this is 100% done now aswell, to be announced this week. You cant replace a player like Maguire, but I think we'll fair alot better with the loss of O'Connor. He's a fantastic player but Griffin was brought in with O'Connor leaving in mind so we already had a plan in place. Still a bit sickening to see the squad stripped before we even win the league officially but LOI clubs just cant compete with Championship offers.

I just dread to see what the derisory figure involved will be. Cant begrudge the player either. The money being offered compared to here is massive.

I hope Griffin is as good as people say he is and he is not another Gavin Hoolahan, a player who got better and better with every game he didn't play in!

I hope Griffin is as good as people say he is and he is not another Gavin Hoolahan, a player who got better and better with every game he didn't play in!

I believe he is going to be just as good as O'Connor and Im not just saying that now because O'Connor is leaving. There has been talk the last few weeks even of Griffin forcing O'Connor out of the team, this is all on the CCFC Forum and well before any talk of O'Connor deal being done came up.

I suppose we might be in a unique situation where we can blood new fellas in for half a season and still win the league barring a bottle job never before seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,852 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Is there somebody Irish working high up with Preston North End no?

Seem to love their LOI players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

callaway92 wrote: »

Sure why wouldn't you love it, Grayson obviously rates the league and knows full well he can get decent players on the cheap.

callaway92 wrote: »

I think PNE view the irish league like we did when the first local ALDI opened here.

Great bargains that are just too cheap not to try !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Preston must have loved being in Cork last summer. Bumped into some of them in my local Aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I just dread to see what the derisory figure involved will be. Cant begrudge the player either. The money being offered compared to here is massive.

We'll probably get some U23 compensation and hopefully a sell on clause at least. It's like Reading all over again with Preston but I don't begrudge the lads the move and I hope they'll flourish.

Grayson was involved in Blackpool when hoolahan was there so maybe he was turned to the league by him and though better to get the players before they become expensive

We'll probably get some U23 compensation and hopefully a sell on clause at least. It's like Reading all over again with Preston but I don't begrudge the lads the move and I hope they'll flourish.

A good sell on will ease the pain somewhat.

It's done and dusted.

I don't think it is.

Football is littered with examples of collapses. Look at Leeds United, with 7 games left they were coasting into the playoffs, in the previous 7 games they got 15 points beating Brighton and Wednesday. They picked up 6 points from the last 21.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement