Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

I don't think it is.

Football is littered with examples of collapses. Look at Leeds United, with 7 games left they were coasting into the playoffs, in the previous 7 games they got 15 points beating Brighton and Wednesday. They picked up 6 points from the last 21.

I can see it already, the rot sets in, rovers catch up a bit, Bradley continues having a go at Cork in the media before they play, caufield comes out with the old "I would love it if we beat them" rovers win and we storm on to win the league.
    :D

Then I wake up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

D14Rugby wrote: »

Then I wake up

And Bradley's still manager :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Sligo Rovers signed midfielder Rhys McCabe from Dunfermline. Don't know anything about him but he can't be worse than most of Robertsons signings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

red sean wrote: »
    Sligo Rovers signed midfielder Rhys McCabe from Dunfermline. Don't know anything about him but he can't be worse than most of Robertsons signings.

Can't wait to see him play for Cork City next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Can't wait to see him play for Cork City next year!
    And Preston next July

back to t'mill on Friday :)

Seems longer than 14 days

http://www.dundalkfc.com/programme-of-the-year-2/

To be fair it is a cracking programme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Wexford have signed Ex-Waterford midfielder Aaron O'Connor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

As those of you who use twitter might have spotted, myself and @HistoryLOI over there have been working on a little something over the season break!

http://imgur.com/a/74VQI

DCcIzuHXYAEHJ_K.jpg

Less than 800 at the Bray match?

Some cracking players on both teams, with a lot to play for.

I honestly don't know how they are balancing the books, there's no sponsor that good.

• Advertisement

Let's hope for a few decent draws in the Europa League and Champions League draw later today. On current form there is a very good chance City will do well in Europe this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The likes of Crusaders is who we really want.

On the flip side we could get Midtjylland of Denmark and that's outski immediately.

Dundalks possible opponents are

Celtic (Scotland)
    Legia Warsaw (Poland)
    Maribor (Slovenia)
    Malmo (Sweden)
    FH Hafnarfjarðar (Iceland)
    Rosenberg (Norway)

Avoid Malmo and Celtic the rest are manageable I'd say.

Cork City's opponents will be

Levadia Tallinn (Estonia)
    AIK Stockholm (Sweden)
    Lyngby (Denmark)
    KR Reykjavik
    Some crowd from Belarus

So Reykjavik or Tallinn please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

gimmick wrote: »
    Dundalks possible opponents are

Celtic (Scotland)
    Legia Warsaw (Poland)
    Maribor (Slovenia)
    Malmo (Sweden)
    FH Hafnarfjarðar (Iceland)
    Rosenberg (Norway)

Avoid Malmo and Celtic the rest are manageable I'd say.

Cork City's opponents will be

Levadia Tallinn (Estonia)
    AIK Stockholm (Sweden)
    Lyngby (Denmark)
    KR Reykjavik
    Some crowd from Belarus

So Reykjavik or Tallinn please.

Anyone bar FH and Dundalk are out Im afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

CHealy wrote: »
    Anyone bar FH and Dundalk are out Im afraid.
    I've just printed this out and sent it on to Stephen Kenny for him to pin up on the dressing room wall. Nothing like a bit of extra motivation.

Pighead wrote: »
    I've just printed this out and sent it on to Stephen Kenny for him to pin up on the dressing room wall. Nothing like a bit of extra motivation.

Im sure he's really worked up over what a fella on boards.ie has to say. Would you disagree with my statement yourself Pighead?

Cork City are after getting a very tough group, will want to avoid AIK, Lyngby and the crowd from Belarus who current sit top of their league ahead of BATE. With a bit of luck we will get KR again and try right that wrong from a couple of years back. Will still be very tough though.

Shamrock Rovers with a handy enough pot.

Im sure he's really worked up over what a fella on boards.ie has to say. Would you disagree with my statement yourself Pighead?

Cork City are after getting a very tough group, will want to avoid AIK, Lyngby and the crowd from Belarus who current sit top of their league ahead of BATE. With a bit of luck we will get KR again and try right that wrong from a couple of years back. Will still be very tough though.

Shamrock Rovers with a handy enough pot.
    Nah, would have to agree unfortunately. Legia and Celtic= Hammerings most probably. Rosenberg have falling back a bit from where they used to be but would still probably be too good for us. Malmo a bit of an unknown for me and Maribor put out a decent Aberdeen last year so obviously they won't be pushovers. Bring on FH!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Dundalk v Rosenborg.

Could have been a worse draw for them

wadacrack wrote: »
    Dundalk v Rosenborg.

Could have been a worse draw for them

Definitely not as bad as Legia or Celtic but will still be a massive massive ask.

• Advertisement

It was odds on that we would get a tough draw and that's how it panned out. So important to be seeded in these competitions. Nicholas Bendtner will be scratching his head wondering where it all went wrong when he sees Oriel Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

City Vs Levaida Tallinn, away 1st leg in Estonia

Levadia Tallin v Cork.

Very good draw for Cork

Midtjylland v Derry.

Horrific draw for Derry.

Stjarnan v Rovers.

Not a bad draw

City Vs Levaida Tallinn, away 1st leg in Estonia

Not confirmed that that's the case yet. So anyone who is considering booking hold off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

If Flora Tallinn are any measure, Cork should sail through.

Glad to avoid Belarus whatever the result.

• Advertisement

Best City could have hoped for really, best chance of qualifying from the pot we had. Bit of a disaster to travel to though, cheapest flights so far are around 500 quid, looking like I'll have to cross my fingers and hope we get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Division

I'm trying to find a way to watch full games from last Friday but there doesn't seem to be any options. The highlights show on RTE just shows a few quick goals and the match reports I have come across are fairly short and basically just recap the goals.

Is there anywhere I can download/stream previous LOI games?

If Coleraine get through, they have Poznan 2nd round

City with a very handy 2nd round if they get through

Larnaca/Lincoln

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Possibility of Linfield vs Celtic on the glorious 12th of July :p

• Advertisement

Dundalk

1) were the within 1 minute of being seeded (Legia 90th minute equaliser)

2) have only .20 of coefficient from 2012/13 ( that's why it's vital to keep qualifying for Europe - your last 5 years count towards co efficient

Afaik they were .15 off being seeded.

Good luck to all the LOI teams in the matches. I still think City wil well. Rovers have a relatively easy one, Derry have a relatively hard one and I think Rosenberg will be too good for a Dundalk team still in transition, I hope I'm wrong, but at least it's not BATE

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Best City could have hoped for really, best chance of qualifying from the pot we had. Bit of a disaster to travel to though, cheapest flights so far are around 500 quid, looking like I'll have to cross my fingers and hope we get through.

Fly to Helsinki and booze cruise it across is a fun option.

Fly to Riga and train/bus up is another option.

It was odds on that we would get a tough draw and that's how it panned out. So important to be seeded in these competitions. Nicholas Bendtner will be scratching his head wondering where it all went wrong when he sees Oriel Park.

Not a patch on Oriel

http://footballtripper.com/lerkendal-stadion-rosenborg-bk-norway/

joeysoap wrote: »
    Not bad. I presumed they upgraded after their champions league group stages run in the late 90's and early 200's but it seems they've been in there since the 40's.

In other news I presume at this stage most people have seen this majestic goal by Patrick McEleney against Drogheda?

All over twitter today. He truly is a genius.

Not bad. I presumed they upgraded after their champions league group stages run in the late 90's and early 200's but it seems they've been in there since the 40's.

In other news I presume at this stage most people have seen this majestic goal by Patrick McEleney against Drogheda?

All over twitter today. He truly is a genius.

Brilliant pass from Massey to start the move :pac:

Normally after soccer republic I wonder what planet Anthony Buttimer or Jim McKell are on. But tonight it was shocking referees assistants decisions that resulted in two perfectly good disallowed goals. The Sligo one in particular, the official was 5 yards away. Maybe thinking of his chip supper on the way home?

Did I miss something in the Bray match, only two officials on the pitch at the end, shaking hands with players?

McEleney's goal was good but there was some other crackers tonight too.

The quality of goals this season has been very high. Some crackers every week

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Am I the only Rovers fan that thinks our Euro draw is not nearly as easy as people are making out??

Am I the only Rovers fan that thinks our Euro draw is not nearly as easy as people are making out??

Well given that your manager is not very good, every draw should be seen as a difficult draw.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Of course its not as easy as others are making out. That way if Rovers get beaten its used as a stick to beat them with, i.e. losing to a weak team when in fact that may not be the case at all.

Its the same nonsense spouted every year by fans of different LOI sides about their euro opponents, its not specific to Rovers either, I've seen the same said about the other teams, the fact is that pretty much every LOI side thats unseeded will have a tough game, whomever they draw, the other teams are seeded for a reason after all.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Iv a passing interest in Icelandic football because for a country with only just over 300k people, their football teams are very very good. When City played KR two years ago the technical side of their play was at a much more advanced level than what Id seen in LOI. Granted we absolutely bottled the away leg but to be honest KR were the better team and deserved to win by more. We saw FH give Dundalk a scare last year. Any Rovers fans going over there thinking its going to be a handy win could be in for a surprise, but Stjarnan are on a three game losing streak so Id have it as 50/50.

Off topic, if you've a spare few minutes Id recommend reading up about Icelandic football and how theyve approached it, really interesting stuff. Some of the facilities these guys have are what we could only dream of.

John Dunleavy gone for the season again. He will be a big loss for City. He is only back from another season ender a few weeks into this season and now he is gone again for another 6 months.

He is either made of crisps or the unluckiest footballer in LOI. Lousy one way or other as he was in decent form, and seems an all round good egg away from the pitch.

Makes securing Delaney for the remainder of the season so much more vital.

gimmick wrote: »
    John Dunleavy gone for the season again. He will be a big loss for City. He is only back from another season ender a few weeks into this season and now he is gone again for another 6 months.

He is either made of crisps or the unluckiest footballer in LOI. Lousy one way or other as he was in decent form, and seems an all round good egg away from the pitch.

Makes securing Delaney for the remainder of the season so much more vital.

If theres one fella that has no luck whatsoever, its Johnny Dunleavy. Career in England ended due to injury, out pretty much all last season with injury, and now half of this season. All of a sudden, we are down to the bear minimum in certain positions in our squad. Our defense has been patched up all season but now with O'Connor and Dunleavy definitely out, possibly Delaney, and Alan Bennett who it seems can only play 1 out of every three games, dare I say we are entering crisis mode? Thank god for the 18 point lead, depending on who we sign in the window we might need every single point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Is it his Cruciate?

If theres one fella that has no luck whatsoever, its Johnny Dunleavy. Career in England ended due to injury, out pretty much all last season with injury, and now half of this season. All of a sudden, we are down to the bear minimum in certain positions in our squad. Our defense has been patched up all season but now with O'Connor and Dunleavy definitely out, possibly Delaney, and Alan Bennett who it seems can only play 1 out of every three games, dare I say we are entering crisis mode? Thank god for the 18 point lead, depending on who we sign in the window we might need every single point.

To be fair, Bennett is going 2/3ish or maybe 3/5. But with Europe around the corner and the possibility of going Thursday, Sunday, Thursday, Sunday, he probably plays 2 of those at best.

Beattie is nearing full fitness and will slot into RB. Griffin, who everyone has high hopes for, should be able to slot in at LB. But we 100% need a new CB now who can pretty much hit the ground running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

John Kavanagh seems to be snake bitten as well

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

There's no doubt it's a tough draw, especially as a young side who have struggled away from home with a poor disciplinary record. They've only failed to score against Derry this season though, so there's a decent chance of an away goal which is a must.

With Rovers' record this season, the tie could be over in Iceland. But compared to getting Dinamo Minsk (which was the other team left) or NK Ljubljana, it's not the worst either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

joeysoap wrote: »
    Normally after soccer republic I wonder what planet Anthony Buttimer or Jim McKell are on. But tonight it was shocking referees assistants decisions that resulted in two perfectly good disallowed goals. The Sligo one in particular, the official was 5 yards away. Maybe thinking of his chip supper on the way home?

Did I miss something in the Bray match, only two officials on the pitch at the end, shaking hands with players?

McEleney's goal was good but there was some other crackers tonight too.

One of Dundalks goals was offside also. Didn't really matter in the grander scheme of things but it would seem that neither the ref nor linesman know the offside rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Thank god for the 18 point lead, depending on who we sign in the window we might need every single point.

Dundalk will lose games also so I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Cork need to lose six more games before the end of the year than Dundalk and there isn't anyone good enough in the league this year including Dundalk to beat them

• Advertisement

doncarlos wrote: »
    One of Dundalks goals was offside also. Didn't really matter in the grander scheme of things but it would seem that neither the ref nor linesman know the offside rule.

Which one? I still have it recorded so will have another look. It wasn't the 1st , or 2nd, def not the 3rd, wasn't the 4th either and the 5th and 6 th were clear unchallenged run at goals but I will have another look anyway. :)

Drogheda had 3 clean sheets including Derry at home and Bohs away yet their defence was really poor last week (sending off notwithstanding)

If Kilduff scores one against you it's bad, if he scores two.......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement