Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swapping out 750 GB HDD for 250GB SSD

Options
  • 02-01-2016 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

I have a Dell xps 15z that is dog slow to start especially since it went to Windows 10. I have done all the usual things to try to speed it up and to be fair as a standalone thing it's ok as far as a standard laptop goes. But compared to the chromebook it's very slow. I was thinking of swapping out the hdd for a lower capacity ssd and using either external usb 3.0 storage or cloud storage, for example I have 1 TB with gdrive.

Has anyone taken this approach?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,636 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It would certainly be faster.

One of our laptops has a standard HDD, and it takes about 3mins to power up.
    I have another which has a HDD/SSD hybrid drive, and its ready to use from power up in about 20sec, due to booting off the SSD.

If you don't need the extra GB, I'd advise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I swapped out my 1tb hdd for a 240 ssd the difference is unreal. I had used about 400gb on the old drive you would be surprised how much programs or files you do not need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

As I see it the laptop is powerful enough for what I need it's just slow to start. The investment needed in a new laptop is too much at c. €1000. But for less than 200 (ssd and external drive) I can get a zippy machine again. There is a place for the phones, iPad, chromebook and laptop in the house.

Do it

But I'm not sure you need a new external drive. Get a caddy for the 750gb HDD you're swapping out if its only for storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

If you dont use the dvd drive anymore you can often get caddies which will slot in place of the dvd drive to hold your existing hard drive. Install windows and programs on the SSD and keep the 750GB hard drive for your file storage etc.

Of course if you do use the dvd drive this wont be an option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I asked about swapping my XPS HD too, but got no replies :(

Is yours an L502x too?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057542357

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

I did the same recently on my Inspiron 1545. I have it since November 09, I got 240gb ocz ssd for €75 in pc world and paid another €10 for an ext caddy.

It used to take ages to start up and when it got to the desktop it was another minute or two before anything was responsive.

Since installing the ssd it boots and is ready to go after 22 seconds. If I click restart it's booted again after 45 seconds.

Replacing the DVD is an interesting idea, I'll look into that this evening. I'll also check the exact model number too.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Just recently swapped out the hdd on my 2007 Inspiron for an SSD and took a hit on the disk size. Well worth it though, boots very quickly and is totally silent. Maxed out the RAM too. I should get another few years out of the machine.

cormie wrote: »
    I asked about swapping my XPS HD too, but got no replies :(

Is yours an L502x too?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057542357

I've just checked mines an L511z.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭L8rdude

I swapped my 750Gb for a 480Gb SSD over Christmas - I was over 1.5 minutes to start up + then it could take another couple of minutes just to start chrome, to 20 seconds. It's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Swapping the old had in my laptop for a SSD was well worth it. I'd say its given it an extra 2yrs of useful life.

Advertisement