Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkee Hell of the West 2016 25/06/2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

entered at 10 this morning. couldn't miss Hotw, neck and neck with lost sheep for best race in the country every year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Still entries left, bizarrely. Not sure if I'm going to go for it this year. Long oul trip.

Relay only entries only left according to sportstiming. More individual in February.

Couple of us had actually talked about doing a relay team. Might revisit that...long oul trip for a swim though. Swim is the only part of that race I've ever enjoyed.

Edit: other than the finish line. Finish line is fun. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Seems I've missed this yeah? Do they open more entries throughout the year?

It's on the same weekend as Challenge Galway, I wonder how they will impact each other's entry numbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Seems I've missed this yeah? Do they open more entries throughout the year?

I believe half have been sold and that there are more on sale in a few weeks.

I have not done HOTW before yet but have signed up on the basis of what people here have said about it. Hopefully it lives up to the hype, but if I am honest the registration has already let them down - "whats your expected pace?" at what????

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wackoy2k

cart man wrote: »
    I believe half have been sold and that there are more on sale in a few weeks.

I have not done HOTW before yet but have signed up on the basis of what people here have said about it. Hopefully it lives up to the hype, but if I am honest the registration has already let them down - "whats your expected pace?" at what????

It is a fantastic race and you will enjoy it whether the sun is splitting the rocks or the rain is belting down.

The registration was a bit of a mess this year. Not sure why they ended up asking for pace on the site as last years format for the race was Super Series and then waved age categories.

The registration site is different this year from previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

'Pace' usually applies to the swim so they can group swimmers in appropriate pens in triathlon. Interesting to see if they are going back to this format from age group waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wackoy2k

sconhome wrote: »
    'Pace' usually applies to the swim so they can group swimmers in appropriate pens in triathlon. Interesting to see if they are going back to this format from age group waves.

That is what I thought but they never stated that the pace was for the swim.

I assumed it was for your running ability as opposed to swimming.

I guess I will be down the back so with the pace per mile that I put down for the run. :-)

Registration opened again this morning

• Advertisement

half the 400 remaining slots gone in the first 10 minutes according to twitter

€70. Ouch.
    Might head down as part of a relay team, wonder how quickly round 2 will sell out with the Challenge Olympic on the same weekend.

€70. Ouch.
    Might head down as part of a relay team, wonder how quickly round 2 will sell out with the Challenge Olympic on the same weekend.

€70. Ouch.

pretty sure there will be relay places available even if the individuals sell out.

one of the few races in the country worth that level of entry fee i think. nice jackets again this year if it helps..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

I've been trying to register since 8am and no joy, payment keeps failing though no problem on the bank side according to the bank. I've emailed Limerick

mossym wrote: »
    pretty sure there will be relay places available even if the individuals sell out.

one of the few races in the country worth that level of entry fee i think. nice jackets again this year if it helps..:)

One year there was a red jacket. Had to give it away. I don't wear red. :p
    Getting accommodation would be a nightmare now though.

Now with added possibility of Trump on the bike leg
    He is expected to come on Ireland on either the 24 or 25 June, before returning to the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Swimming ban in place at Kilkee

http://www.newstalk.com/reader/47.301/74567//

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

viperlogic wrote: »
    Swimming ban in place at Kilkee

http://www.newstalk.com/reader/47.301/74567//

Hopefully it won't be in place for long:

BATHING WATER ADVISORY NOTICE ISSUED AT KILKEE BEACH

Clare County Council says a public bathing advisory notice introduced at Kilkee this morning could be lifted as early as tomorrow.

The Council, on the advice of the HSE, introduced the advisory after elevated levels of microbiological contamination were recorded in a routine bathing water sample in Kilkee.

The Local Authority says monitoring is ongoing and efforts are underway to identify the bacteria source.

In the meantime, bathers are advised not to swim in the sea at Kilkee due to the increase in the levels of bacteria found in the bathing waters.

Clare County Council will issue further updates where necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭WattsUp

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Now with added possibility of Trump on the bike leg

Not sure which would cause more disruption to the bike route. Trump or the protesters he'll attract. Fingers crossed he's not around Doonbeg on the 25th and fingers crossed he's not in the Whitehouse, ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

The Super Series race is no longer draft legal. Happy days.

update via the Clare Herald: http://clareherald.com/2016/06/bathing-water-restrictions-remain-in-place-at-kilkee/

Testing of the bathing waters has taken place again today. Preliminary test results indicate that the event may be over. Final confirmation of the end of the restriction will be considered following additional water testing on Friday morning.

A spokesperson from Clare County Council told The Clare Herald “It is hoped the restrictions will be lifted during the late morning but this is all dependant on the water sample results being favourable and the HSE signing off on same”.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

Donald Trump visit to Ireland cancelled, according to reports

That's one source of contamination potentially eliminated.

race brief is on the LTC website....

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Similar age category waves as last year to be expected?

Similar age category waves as last year to be expected?

I'm M30-34 and in wave 3 if that is of any help in working it out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

Are the waves online? Cant see them on the race site.

griffin100 wrote: »
    Are the waves online? Cant see them on the race site.

should have gotten an email yesterday with your race number and wave. i'm in the 35 to 39 AG and wave 3

mossym wrote: »
    should have gotten an email yesterday with your race number and wave. i'm in the 35 to 39 AG and wave 3

Going from your strava swim times, think I found my draft buddy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

Didn't get a mail, but I have a transfer entry so maybe that's it. I am listed as an entrant so won't worry. I'm in the 40-44 age category so I assume I go in the last wave.

Advertisement