Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G Adventures - reviews?

Options
  • 02-01-2016 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Would recommend G adventures and Intrepid. I have done three trips using one of these. lovely mix of people wont have the big drunken holiday that sometimes contiki is know for. One the three trips ive done the ages were from mid 20 to about 50 including couples and single people a good mix of people where everyone mixed too I was on my own for two of the trips

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Ticking and Bashing

I booked a tour with them 2 years ago to Asia and very much enjoyed it. The tour guide was knowledgeable and was able to recommend u what activities to do or where to eat etc, there was also a good mix of group activities in addition to the opportunity to have time for yourself. Also, a number of the guys on the tour had travelled with Gadventures in the past which was a good sign! Your enjoyment of the tour will also depend on your fellow travellers! I think there were 4 sets of couples on the trip I joined so they were a bit glued to each other! I'd check the journey times between destinations and whether you think you have sufficient time for each place visited. I'd recommend Gadventures, however, I returned to Asia last year this time solo and I enjoyed it more than being with a group! You'll mix in better with locals being solo! Check out wateringhole.gadventures.com - you might see a review specific for your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

They are excellent, use fantastic local guides. Would recommend them highly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I wouldn't jumping in on this thread and getting feedback also!!

Done solo travelling before but not up for it anymore!

G Adventures seems quite expensive!

• Advertisement

Do you think so? I thought it seemed quiet reasonable considering the travelling involved but I've not been to Asia before so I don't know

I've only looked at 1 or 2 spots to be fair but to do the Camino with a group over 8 days is 1,000 + - that is very expensive for walking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

if you think g adventures is expensive log onto tour radar and find you will find a list of different tour companies for your trip and compare from there

if you think g adventures is expensive log onto tour radar and find you will find a list of different tour companies for your trip and compare from there

Thanks - I could be wrong - maybe they are reasonable for an organised tour - I suppose I am comparing them to what you pay for something similar on your own and there seems to be a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Thanks - I could be wrong - maybe they are reasonable for an organised tour - I suppose I am comparing them to what you pay for something similar on your own and there seems to be a big difference.

I went to Vietnam with Intrepid a couple of years back. Group ranged from a family with teenagers to a mother (in her 60's) with her daughter in 30's. There was one other single woman late 30's (same as myself). I was the only Irish person. The guide was fantastic, genuine, lovely guy, passionate about his job. I think intrepid is Australian do there was a lot of Aussies.

Went to Jordan with Exodus.....the group was mostly mid thirties up with a couple of lads on their 20's and a one man late 60's. There were 2 other Irish people in the group...singles early 40's. I found the hotels were poor standard for what we paid and the guide was a bit if a dictator if things did not go his way, but that all added to the experience!!!! He was good at telling us about the country Because exodus is English, there were more ppl from Ireland and England.

There is a big difference between what you Paying yourself and an organised tour but you are paying for the organisation done for you.

Going camping to the states this year, can't wait! I love going in these tours as the groups are so diverse,...it can be a bit like big brother but you can take some time out too!

• Advertisement

anewme wrote: »
    I went to Vietnam with Intrepid a couple of years back. Group ranged from a family with teenagers to a mother (in her 60's) with her daughter in 30's. There was one other single woman late 30's (same as myself). I was the only Irish person. The guide was fantastic, genuine, lovely guy, passionate about his job. I think intrepid is Australian do there was a lot of Aussies.

Went to Jordan with Exodus.....the group was mostly mid thirties up with a couple of lads on their 20's and a one man late 60's. There were 2 other Irish people in the group...singles early 40's. I found the hotels were poor standard for what we paid and the guide was a bit if a dictator if things did not go his way, but that all added to the experience!!!! He was good at telling us about the country Because exodus is English, there were more ppl from Ireland and England.

There is a big difference between what you Paying yourself and an organised tour but you are paying for the organisation done for you.

Going camping to the states this year, can't wait! I love going in these tours as the groups are so diverse,...it can be a bit like big brother but you can take some time out too!

Sound!

I'd like to go with G Adventures but it just seems quite pricey for what you get - I am kinda done with solo travelling - was great when I was younger but not so much anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I think it depends...we were in Peru and one guide was with us the entire time except the 4 days we did the Inca trail when he left us with another guide who had been with us for two days before. I think the match up the groups, our group were very well matched, 4 separate groups ( total 11 people) all Irish / English, similar enough ages. We are all still in contact over 5 years later. The trips themselves are good value, yes you could do it cheaper yourself but considering how easy and enjoyable the make the holiday it's worth it. Would definitely take you longer yo see as much if you went DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

I'd like to go with G Adventures but it just seems quite pricey for what you get - I am kinda done with solo travelling - was great when I was younger but not so much anymore!

I'm just finishing up on a tour of Vietnam with G adventures . You will get well looked after by your guide. Price wise it all depends really on what you want i'm on the 15 day trip going from north to the south . I've been to Thailand with two or 3 lads before and booking everything as we went compared to here with a guide he will bring you to the best places to eat bring in and mix with local people which is really interesting. It's in the guides interest to look after you .

Mix of people my group is made up of 8 people . Ranging from 16 to 70. Another g group we met were bigger in numbers and younger . All different nationalities / interesting when it comes to tipping :p

For me I think it is reasonable money. I'm happy with the holiday only down side holidays aren't modern but they are clean and functional

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭anewme

dev100 wrote: »

I'm happy with the holiday only down side holidays aren't modern but they are clean and functional

Do you mean the Hotels?

I found this with Intrepid and also Exodus. We stayed in a Hotel in Amman that was ok - location was a good bit out and also it was okish. For the price I paid I would have expected better and if I booked myself I would not stay there. I think this is the trade off for these type of Group Holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

anewme wrote:
    I found this with Intrepid and also Exodus. We stayed in a Hotel in Amman that was ok - location was a good bit out and also it was okish. For the price I paid I would have expected better and if I booked myself I would not stay there. I think this is the trade off for these type of Group Holidays.

anewme wrote:
    Do you mean the Hotels?

Oops typo meant to say hotels .

Yes I would be the same as you , would only book certain standards of hotels but the hotels were functional clean. We stayed in places fairly central . I done the home stays and that's basic enough but it's an experience . Have to say the food was fantastic wherever we were brought. Any of the guides will know the best places to eat and for very little money.

I enjoyed the experience of having company on hols and I'd do it again .

I'm heading into Cambodia on my own tomorrow for 4/5 days . So you have plan and do everything yourself . There's no back up when things go wrong but that's life .

Advertisement