Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Cuts - stand by Generator

Options
  • 02-01-2016 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

We have experienced 3 x power cuts since Christmas Eve and if the weather gurus are right the storms/heavy rains are the way of the future, so too the power outages!
    We have a dual heating system ( Systemlink Heat Genie) which requires 2 x standard small Grundfoss Ups2 Circulating pumps operating. They are both fed from the "upstairs Sockets" circuit. Operated on/off by a pipe stat. No power = no heating.
    I am of the opinion that a small petrol genny could well operate these 2 pumps and would appreciate the input of any information / suggestions or experience of any with same.
    My thoughts are : Purchase a small ( not sure how small ?? )Petrol Generator. If the power drops again, turn off all power at the mains / fuseboard switch and run an extension from the generator to an upstairs socket ( I am mindful of the male / female plug set up ), powering up that particular circuit. I would intend using the generator for nothing other than the 2 x circulating pumps.
    Is this an ok thing to do ? Is the power generated by a small petrol genny "clean " enough and suitable for the 2 x pumps or do I risk damaging the pumps ?
    Thanking you in anticipation for any info.
    Happy new year.
    Chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

1: what are the heat sources, its more than the 2 pumps and the System-link Genie.?
    2: Petrol generators are noisy so if u live in a residential area they wont be impressed at 3 in the morning....

3: What I have is a marine standard 12v battery with an inverter: I wont explain the wiring but I have the facility to safely physically disconnect the heating and the broadband router from the mains setup and then connect them to the inverter: they are low amp consumers and its a big heavy mama: 130 Amp h battery which I keep topped up with a trickle charger.

You can always run the inverter off the car battery if you are stuck, but it may go flat....:D

4: What you are proposing wiring wise, while being mindful, is very very dangerous.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 addisb

Many thanks for your reply.
    1: Yes, the second heat source is Gas but I would not intend using this in the event of a power failure. On 2 occasions so far this winter we actually had the back boiler going when we were cut off: only in this circumstance would I plan switching to a Petrol Genny and only for a couple of hours tops.
    2; I have used petrol gennys on sites in the past and understand the noise issue, however, it would only be until say 11pm latest, in a large back garden and I doubt it would cause concern to the folk surrounding.
    3: Considering an Invertor etc: Seems like even more hassle keeping a battery topped up. I am interested as to why you would consider the petrol genny set up dangerous. I understand that I would have to have the extension / plugs properly specified, don't want dragging around live "male" plug pins.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

This
    run an extension from the generator to an upstairs socket ( I am mindful of the male / female plug set up ), powering up that particular circuit.

You really don't know where the power fed this way is is going to end up.
    Somebody makes a mistake with either an MCB or worse with the main fuse and the power goes back into the grid, perhaps killing an ESB repair man or a neighbour who assumed it was off: the above are my least paranoid ones :cool:

I first studied noise in 1975 so I know a little bit about it.

I just wouldn't go there with a jenny in back garden unless the dB are suitable attenuated.

Why not consider the gas, it is low power consumption and safer than the backboiler because if u r jenny gives up, which they are prone to do from occasional use, at least the gas will stop, whereas if u have just loaded up the stove with a bag of the best Polish deep mine anthracite and the jenny dies.......
    Keep safe, and warm

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

First off best practice for pumps such as this would be to permanently connect (using a spur outlet), not connect via a plug socket arrangement.

A better solution would be to install a generator change over switch is installed between the distribution board and ESB meter.
    This allows the installation to be supplied from either the ESB or the generator (never both) depending on where the switch is positioned.
    A portable generator can then be wheeled out and plugged into a special plug socket arrangement located on the outside of the house when it is required.
    I have installed this type of arrangement for several people in the past. However as I am no longer an electrical contrator I don't do this type work anymore.

I would not recommend using a battery / inverter arrangement in this instance.

Depending on the size of the generator load shedding should be considered when the installation is supplied from the generator.
    It is important not to overload the generator, otherwise it will trip out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 addisb

I appreciate your reply, many thanks.
    Wiring the 2 x pumps on a permanent spur would not be a problem, however, a changeover switch would no doubt be expensive ( including installation) and may scupper my idea. I just thought that a simple petrol genny could get the 2 x pumps back up a running for the potential 3 - 4 hours duration of the power cut and keep just our heating going. Doing it right however seems to be a very expensive project and perhaps beyond our means.

• Advertisement

I bagged a 100A, 3 phase changeover switch on Ebay for £10. I only wanted a single phase 32A. :pac:
    Kraus and Naimer centre off.

I'm going inverter road with 10kWh @ 48V & 1kWh @ 12V Mwa! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Couldn't the OP just put two regular 13A plugs on the two pumps? Whenever he has a blackout he unplugs the pumps from the upstairs ring and into an extension cord to the genny?

Perhaps some wiser heads could explain the problem with such a set up?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Couldn't the OP just put two regular 13A plugs on the two pumps? Whenever he has a blackout he unplugs the pumps from the upstairs ring and into an extension cord to the genny?

Perhaps some wiser heads could explain the problem with such a set up?

Yes, this was suggested in post #4.

Although this is not ideal, it will work.

Advertisement