Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to get a one year old for his birthday?

Options
  • 02-01-2016 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

As the title of the thread says, what could I get a one year old for his birthday. Actually I've to get a 1 year old girl a present too.
    Both have older siblings so have toys at home.
    Basically, what would your one year old play with most??
    ( I probably couldn't afford more than 100e per child and would preferably like to spend less if possible. )
    It would be great for any input. I don't want to get them something that their mammies will be grinding their teeth when they see it coming through the door :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

How about Prize Bonds...always the chance they'll win a few bob....

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

Voucher for shoe shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

exaisle wrote: »

Problem with buying prize bonds for someone else, (especially a minor) is the money laundering laws. They won't let you put them in his name without jumping through hoops. Many many hoops.

Buy him drums.

He'll love them

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

We've a one year and two year to buy for birthdays soon after Christmas. (Boy and a girl) One has older siblings with loads of toys in the house.We have a toddler ourselves so have a good idea of what will drive parents nuts!!!

Some of what we've bought (and received for our own one year old's birthday) include:

Handmade stool from pixieandfleur.com (about 30eur). Didn't bother engraving it with their name.
    Clothes from Next.Greatly appreciated by both sets of parents, particularly the two year olds....the new baby clothes presents tend to run out after about 18 months!!
    Child's rocking chair from Ikea
    One of those little ride along trucks that they can sit on and push with their feet
    Some books.Hardback at that age and relatively simple.Easons or Book Depository (online) are good for that stuff.
    Any wooden toys.Puzzles, small trucks, blocks.Duplo is also good
    Ikea do crawl tunnels and little material play tents.Our little one got a 'cube' she can crawl in and out of and absolutely loves it.

100eur is probably too much to be honest.Most
    of the items listed above are 30-40 max.If it's
    close to Christmas too, you really don't need to
    go overboard!They get so much and at that age, they haven't a clue anyway.I try to aim for stuff like the stool or rocking chair or books and stuff that they can grow into, eventually use themselves, and that don't make noise or break too easily!!!
    Wooden train set from Ikea

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi Op

I just adore those toddler stools. I met the girl who paints them at the craft fair in RDS, she sells them in Marley park on a Saturday. They are so so so heavy and sturdy. It's €10 extra in put on child's name. http://www.pixieandfleur.com/pages/monkey-pod-stools

Little miss Molly also sells something similar, think they are €50. They are all painted and lighter stools than pixie and fleur ones. http://www.littlemissmolly.ie/order.html

I wish I had known the stools existed so I could of gotten one for my son!

Another think that I saw at craft fair and they have them in Kilkenny design shop is those frames with child's name. http://babygifts.ie/personalised-abc-block-frame-p-821.html#.VogayYaQGrU the owner does have a website but can't find it! If you register you get €10 off. Think they are only €40 then from him.

Something I bought for my son is wooden letters from jojomamanbebe. You can put them sitting over door frame or buy a door plaque. Everyone who sees them wants them!!!
    http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/sp+multi-coloured-painted-primary-3d-letters-in-room-decorations-and-pictures+a7727

Toys wise it depends what they already have! My guy loves and still loves any type of ride on....he has 4 indoors :eek: his fav at the mo is a scuttlebug. http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/outdoor/c-648/ride-ons/p-6246/scuttle-bug-red-and-black-beetle/?cmp=cel&trigger=acHe also still loves that vtech push walker (he got it for Christmas at 11 months and was already walking) http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/pre-school-electronic-learning/c-465/vtech-infant/p-1814/vtech-first-steps-baby-walker/

If you are in Dublin I saw fab roald Dahl illustrations in frames. Can't remember exactly how much they are but less than €50. They sell them in gallery upstairs in BLackrock shopping centre. They are gorgeous. http://www.irishpaintings.com/product-category/roald-dahl-prints/page/2/"]http://http://www.irishpaintings.com/product-category/roald-dahl-prints/page/2/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I'd steer clear of toys at that age- they just have so many. I always appreciate clothes, or a voucher for something practical- shoe shop is a good idea.
    I got a little table and chair a couple of years ago in ikea for my boy, and he has gotten so much use out of them. They're in my mams, and I intend to go back soon and to get another set for our house, with a couple of extra chairs for when the cousins come to visit. He's 4 now, and still using them!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 blondchick

A little leather armchair with footstool. In Argos about e70
    . Got one for my friends little guy and he loves it
    Also it fits in with the sitting room furniture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

OU812 wrote: »
    Problem with buying prize bonds for someone else, (especially a minor) is the money laundering laws. They won't let you put them in his name without jumping through hoops. Many many hoops.

Buy him drums.

He'll love them

Not when the amount is less than €100....

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭MichB2012

What about a trike for each? Practical that it can be used for walks and gets the child out of their buggys too. I know they have a girls one reduced down to €50 in Tesco at the minute. Haven't seen any offers on boys ones but I know you can get some for 60ish in argos. Smyths will prob have a bigger range in store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

exaisle wrote: »

Christ not prize bonds anyway. Mammy who grinds teeth at the thought of them here. I've spent 2 months trying to cash the friggen things after zero wins for 4 years. Forms after forms and trips all iver the place to get them signed. Complete waste of money and a pain in the backside to get back. I've lost so many of them over the years and god help you if there is a spelling mistake in the name. Might as well be stuffing money into an envelope and setting it on fire.

Of all our toys, My one year old with an older sibling loves two things the best. Her pots & pans and tea set (makes dinner for the teddies), and while we don't have a play kitchen because we don't have room for one, i know she would get a lot of fun from it. Lovely wodden ones here, we have the pots from here. Excellent quality.
    http://www.littleones.ie/toys.html?cat=242

Other favourite toy is her playmobil figures. As she is learning to talk she does loads of role play with these. Visiting babies all love these too. The suitable range for that age is playmobil 1.2.3. They are a similar size to the duplo figures.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2937968/Trail/searchtext%3EPLAYMBIL+1.htm

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Ask the parents what they need. We asked everyone for money as we needed to buy 2 new car seats ( +€800) but instead people bought clothes that weren't needed/worn and a mountains of plastic toys that weren't wanted/needed.

John Mason wrote: »
    Ask the parents what they need. We asked everyone for money as we needed to buy 2 new car seats ( +€800) but instead people bought clothes that weren't needed/worn and a mountains of plastic toys that weren't wanted/needed.

I love buying clothes for my son but dred getting them as presents because he is big for his age. People buy them for his age rather than his size :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Millem wrote: »
    I love buying clothes for my son but dred getting them as presents because he is big for his age. People buy them for his age rather than his size :(

I know! I got a pack of newborn babygrows the other day for my month old baby who was over 9 lb at birth- lovely babygrows, great quality- no gift receipt, and I didn't have the heart to ask. He will probably get a fortnight out of them! I'm not ungrateful, but I just hate seeing people's money go to waste on my kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

OU812 wrote: »

Buy him drums.

He'll love them
    I got him drums and instruments for Christmas . He loves them though I'm not sure about his mammy n daddy 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. There's lots of ideas for me to sink my teeth into . I love the idea of the stool and wooden letters too.
    Thanks again x

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. There's lots of ideas for me to sink my teeth into . I love the idea of the stool and wooden letters too.
    Thanks again x

Midnight I think that's a great choice :) little miss Molly is the same price as pixie and fleur if you want engraving. I brought a group of secondary students to craft fair and they told me they had been given them as presents and still have them and love them;) they look different though so It just depends on which you prefer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Be aware with the letters that they may already have something similar. I have a stunning door plaque with my babies name given to me at birth. If you can get a sneaky look at their room you'll know

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

I know this thread is a few weeks old but is it just me that thinks why does a 1 year old need a birthday present????

My little one is one soon and I am begging my friends and family not to buy him anything. Clothes are probably the only thing he needs but 90% of the time if i get presents of clothes they are either too small and have no gift receipt or too fancy for everyday wear and rarely get worn which is such a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Weyhey wrote: »
    I know this thread is a few weeks old but is it just me that thinks why does a 1 year old need a birthday present????

My little one is one soon and I am begging my friends and family not to buy him anything. Clothes are probably the only thing he needs but 90% of the time if i get presents of clothes they are either too small and have no gift receipt or too fancy for everyday wear and rarely get worn which is such a shame.

I think books are a great gift but I totally agree on the clothes that are too fancy for everyday wear. No one buys my girls leggings and tops. Its always fancy dresses in cream or some light colour that's not suitable for a messy toddler. She rarely wears dressy clothes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

When my daughter was one I asked my family to either buy books or everyday clothes for her which they did. I did the same at Christmas. For as long as they're this small the presents can be as useful as their parents need them to be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement