Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whistling in public

• 02-01-2016 1:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭

I was recently getting a flight and while waiting in the airport a guy sitting a few seats away started whistling. Just some random tune. After ten minutes of this I turn and stare at him which he seems to understand as a request to stop. Another 10 minutes later he starts up again, I look over again and he stops. Starts again 10 minutes later, stare, stop. About 30 minutes go by and we are all called to the plane.
    Going down the walk way to the plane and a queue forms again in the tunnel like part and I hear this whistling echoing all around. It is this guy again who is behind me further down the queue. So I stand out of the queue and say " Excuse me. Would you mind not whistling it is incredibly irritating?" . No word from him but there is complete silence from everybody. I turn back into the queue and face the plane. Then this women is staring at me literally open mouthed as if I had insulted her. I look at her and say "Yes?" and she slowly turns around with the same expression like a cartoon character.

Am I the only one who thinks whistling around people who aren't paying to listen is irritating?

Is somebody else whistling in public places irritating ? 180 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    42% 77 votes
    Sometimes
    57% 103 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Lanzarote by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Go on out of it you narky bollix ye :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

You are very easily irritated. Were they breathing too loud as well?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I can't whistle at all :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I really like hearing random whistling tunes when walking around. Particularly in the morning. How could you be in a bad mood with a nice tune in your heart!
    No word from him but there is complete silence from everybody.

There were all secretly hoping they wouldn't have to sit beside you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

There is a time and a place for whistling. When your whacking someone's head open with a baseball bat, like a ripe melon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Ruu wrote: »
    Were they breathing too loud as well?

Very predictable comment. I could hear him over my headphones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

You sound very passive aggressive in that encounter.

I am not disagreeing, I was annoyed and I think he provoked me by stopping and starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I am not disagreeing, I was annoyed and I think he provoked me by stopping and starting.

Ah yes, whistling! The ultimate provocation!

Provoked by someone whistling? Seriously get a life and a lighten up. You sound like a sour old bugger!

• Advertisement

glued wrote: »

Provoked by someone whistling? Seriously get a life and a lighten up. You sound like a sour old bugger!

Well I did no more than he did by making a sound in response to his.:p I wasn't the only person who had been looking at him in the airport and others looking around trying to figure out who was doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Guess you'd have no time for the whistling gypsy coming over the hill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Try getting this whistle song out of your head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

'The great escape' is a lot of fun to whistle to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I was recently getting a flight and while waiting in the airport a guy sitting a few seats away started whistling. Just some random tune. After ten minutes of this I turn and stare at him which he seems to understand as a request to stop. Another 10 minutes later he starts up again, I look over again and he stops. Starts again 10 minutes later, stare, stop. About 30 minutes go by and we are all called to the plane.
    Going down the walk way to the plane and a queue forms again in the tunnel like part and I hear this whistling echoing all around. It is this guy again who is behind me further down the queue. So I stand out of the queue and say " Excuse me. Would you mind not whistling it is incredibly irritating?" . No word from him but there is complete silence from everybody. I turn back into the queue and face the plane. Then this women is staring at me literally open mouthed as if I had insulted her. I look at her and say "Yes?" and she slowly turns around with the same expression like a cartoon character.

Am I the only one who thinks whistling around people who aren't paying to listen is irritating?

Unbelievable ......... my response to you would have been "Excuse me. Would you mind dying as soon as possible please? Your existence is incredibly irritating, f*ck you very much."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

glued wrote: »

Why? Why is whistling any less annoying than some jerk shouting into a mobile phone in public?

Well I did no more than he did by making a sound in response to his.:p I wasn't the only person who had been looking at him in the airport and others looking around trying to figure out who was doing it.

The passive aggressiveness that I was referring to was the multiple episodes of starting at someone in an attempt to get them to stop what they were doing - so no sound made here in response to his.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Trí chomhartha an bhligeaird: fiosracht, feirc, agus feadaíl!

(3 traits of a rogue: curiosity, a cocked hat, and conspicuous whistling)

;)

The passive aggressiveness that I was referring to was the multiple episodes of starting at someone in an attempt to get them to stop what they were doing - so no sound made here in response to his.

Again I am not disagreeing. It is irritating thing and in itself seen as a passive aggressive dominance action

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

One of the things that sane adults learn is that they are not the only people in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'd rather hear a tune whistled than the tssh tssh tssh from someone's earphones.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Unbelievable ......... my response to you would have been "Excuse me. Would you mind dying as soon as possible please? Your existence is incredibly irritating, f*ck you very much."

Fair enough, I was quite prepared for that type of response as an expect-able.

He was aware he was irritating at least one person over his personal amusement. I personally wouldn't do that to others, I don't get why anybody would. Can you explain?

I'd rather hear a tune whistled than the tssh tssh tssh from someone's earphones.

Me too, it was a podcast:D

Same and I'd rather hear a tune whistled than know I was acting the eejit towards someone by staring at them.

& if your passive-aggressive outburst was met with an aggressive response?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Must be ****e earphones OP. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 38 xLANDRYNx

I hate it too when they do it in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Me too, it was a podcast:D

So I'd hear sqawk, tssh, buzz, twee, tssh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

It wouldn't annoy or irritate me.

• Advertisement

He was aware he was irritating at least one person over his personal amusement. I personally wouldn't do that to others, I don't get why anybody would. Can you explain?

I wouldn't go out of my way to irritate anybody but sometimes it happens and, as an adult, I'm prepared to be mildly, if unintentionally, irritated by the general public without losing it .......... people eating with their mouth open, people talking too loudly, people tapping their finger-nails on a hard surface, people whistling, people humming, people with irritating (to me) accents are all things that may mildly irk me when in public but the world's for everyone and everyone is entitled to go about their day chewing gum loudly (for example) if they wish without being reprimanded by some random stranger who has decided that he/she would like you to stop laughing because it's a "very irritating laugh!".

It's rude to approach and speak to a stranger in the manner that you did ........ it would invoke an equally rude response from me.

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    & if your passive-aggressive outburst was met with an aggressive response?

The passive aggressive actions were the stares.

The request to stop was plain aggressive.

I was prepared for such a response but non-violent. I could have lead to violence if it kept escalating and I took that risk rather than continue to be irritated. That was the decision I made. I do not regret it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Very predictable comment. I could hear him over my headphones

Does life hold any surprises for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Hemerodrome

So far, not once has this thread seen a correct, accurate useage of the term "passive-aggressive". The OP's behaviour would appear to have been aggressive, but it's not the same thing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive-aggressive_behavior

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Some people are more sensitive to certain noises than others. Some people wouldn't even notice the person whistling, while for others after 30 seconds it's like nails down a blackboard. So for the OP, yes it was irritating. Maybe others didn't notice it but for him it was an issue.

OP, I hear you. I was in a similar situation on a plane this year, literally the second we took our seats the person behind me started whistling the same few bars of a tune. Over and over and over and over and over again. Before we had even taken off I was ready to strangle him. I just stuck my headphones on, turned my little telly screen up and phased it out. But if I wasn't able to block the sound out somehow, I would have turned around and asked him politely to stop as we had an 8 hour flight ahead of us. It was relentless.

Now I appreciate that he may have been nervous and that was his way of expressing it but it was certainly annoying to me, not sure about anyone else around me. And during the flight, the couple of times I took my headphones out, if he wasn't sleeping he was Still. Whistling.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I wouldn't go out of my way to irritate anybody...

It's rude to approach and speak to a stranger in the manner that you did ........ it would invoke an equally rude response from me.

He was aware it was irritating me so was going out of his way to irritate me. By your own standard he was the one initially being rude. I was rude because he was being rude repeatedly.

• Advertisement

You've little to be worried about

I'd say you had a wonderful mother.

The passive aggressive actions were the stares.

The request to stop was plain aggressive.

I was prepared for such a response but non-violent. I could have lead to violence if it kept escalating and I took that risk rather than continue to be irritated. That was the decision I made. I do not regret it
    Good man Ray, I admire that you have the courage of your convictions...y'all need to chill a wee bit though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If someone did that to me I'd feel obliged to answer their request by whistling like the clangers.

He was aware it was irritating me so was going out of his way to irritate me.

This sounds like quite a jump / assumption to make regarding his intentions. Not everything is about you. Knowing it was irritating you does not mean he was going out of his way to irritate you, maybe he just enjoys whistling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

What was passive about it? He was direct and got the result he wanted. Assertive Aggressive maybe.

• Advertisement

He was aware it was irritating me so was going out of his way to irritate me. By your own standard he was the one initially being rude. I was rude because he was being rude repeatedly.

He wasn't going out of his way to irritate you .......... unless somebody told him "You know what irritates the f*ck outta Ray? Whistling!!", leading him to then start whistling with the sole purpose of irritating you.

No, he most likely has a habit of whistling and did so ......... then notices you glaring at him and thinks to himself, as I would, "cheeky bollix, trying to intimidate me into not whistling because HE doesn't like it, f*ck that!" .......... he only let himself down when he bowed down to you verbally (and rudely) intimidating him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Go on out of it you narky bollix ye :pac::pac::pac:

That is glorious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

For me it would depend on the quality of the whistling, it it was badly executed tuneless whistling it would annoy me. Do people think it would have been OK if the guy had been blasting tunes from his phones crappy speaker? Or roaring down the phone? Or kicking the seat in front of him making a loud banging noise?
    You were dead right OP, Irish people are very afraid of standing up to people or asking people to stop with an irritating or anti social activity for fear of making a scene or being labelled a dry shìte.

Shall we have a singalong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I reckon Most people don't realise when they are being dicks, so I will give OP benefit of the doubt.

Poll should be "is staring random strangers out of it when they disagree with you demanding that they shut up a dick move?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

OP should have joined in with the whistling. Probably would have been more effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

In a confined space like an airport, train, bus etc., travelers should show a bit more consideration for fellow passengers.

The whistling guy was out of order, but I think you may have overreacted, Ray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

mad muffin wrote: »
    There is a time and a place for whistling. When your whacking someone's head open with a baseball bat, like a ripe melon.

Nah. Whistling is the internationally recognised method for conveying that you're not looking at your neighbour's cock at urinals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I think it's the height of ignorance whistling in public like that. Especially on a bus etc.

I don't see any difference in this or kids blasting scooter from a nokia 3310.

Not acceptable.

I think it's the height of ignorance whistling in public like that. Especially on a bus etc.

I don't see any difference in this or kids blasting scooter from a nokia 3310.

Not acceptable.

Ah c'mon!!! Having a w@nk in public is unacceptable but whistling!??!! Mildly irritating to some at most ..........

• Advertisement
Advertisement