Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whistling in public

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Ah c'mon!!! Having a w@nk in public is unacceptable but whistling!??!! Mildly irritating to some at most ..........

Thresholds in Sweden are different.
    Better to ignore someone on the street in need of help than risk being perceived as intrusive and "rude".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Maybe he was nervous about the flight and that was his way of getting by.

I get that it is annoying but nothing is more annoying than watching someone make a fool of themselves in front of a crowd over such a trivial thing. Maybe you should try and exercise some self control in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GFT

It's irritating as ****. Especially first thing in the morning like someone in my office that does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I find it irritating also but I wouldn't antagonise someone over it - specially not this guy :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMm1Wih0kug

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Canterelle

Currently sitting on a train with about 6 kids nearby, all under 12 and they are noisily having the craic. It's a bit distracting but I like it too. Same with someone whistling. God what a world if we all have to go about silently for fear of annoying some old git!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Canterelle wrote: »
    Currently sitting on a train with about 6 kids nearby, all under 12 and they are noisily having the craic. It's a bit distracting but I like it too. Same with someone whistling. God what a world if we all have to go about silently for fear of annoying some old git!

No where near the same. 6 different people communicating. Never expected silence. Whistling is a sound that is much louder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    No where near the same. 6 different people communicating. Never expected silence. Whistling is a sound that is much louder.

One person whistling is a sound that is much louder than 6 kids noisily having the craic? :D At this point, seems reasonable to presume you're on the wind-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Try a little more patience Ray, it can go a long way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I was in a very cosy cafe just now and a guy was playing the "hi hats" to a song, using a "tss "tss" sound with his mouth.

What an absolute c*nt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

You sound like a guy where "the nerves are gone".:) and very intolerant. I personally don't like the whistling type, as I feel it's a substitute for conversation that resides in their head, but have no idea what they want to talk about. And whistling is their way to emit some form of release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Something similar happened to me and the Mrs last year when we went on holidays. Except no one was a bitter old shìte about it and half the plane began to whistle along.

It was a great holiday and everyone enjoyed the flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Remember folks, if you don't want some daft cuñt making noise beside you in an enclosed space, just sit there and say nothing or else people will say you're a bitter old shìte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Remember folks, if you don't want some daft cuñt making noise beside you in an enclosed space, just sit there and say nothing or else people will say you're a bitter old shìte

Last I checked, the departure lounge of an airport is not an enclosed space.

Last I checked, the departure lounge of an airport is not an enclosed space.
    He was doing it in the plane too boss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It can be irritating. That guy sounded irritating, I thought what you did was very rude though and needlessly embarassed him in front of a crowd of people.

wakka12 wrote: »
    It can be irritating. That guy sounded irritating, I thought what you did was very rude though and needlessly embarassed him in front of a crowd of people.
    Actions have consequences. This man was irritating and consequently someone told him to stfu.

someone told him to stfu.

No they said '" Excuse me. Would you mind not whistling it is incredibly irritating?" '

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Actions have consequences. This man was irritating and consequently someone told him to stfu.

What if it turned out he had tourettes ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Maybe the guy was a nervous flyer and it was his way of dealing with it.
    Whistling never annoys me but it might some.

• Advertisement

What if it turned out he had tourettes ?

Then the OP would have been bleedin scarleh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Go on out of it you narky bollix ye :pac::pac::pac:

Impressive. Its also funny if you watch it without sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Tbh I think the only person the OP was embarrassing was himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Could be just as easily said to him personally. Not shouted down the hallway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

I was recently getting a flight and while waiting in the airport a guy sitting a few seats away started whistling. Just some random tune. After ten minutes of this I turn and stare at him which he seems to understand as a request to stop. Another 10 minutes later he starts up again, I look over again and he stops. Starts again 10 minutes later, stare, stop. About 30 minutes go by and we are all called to the plane.
    Going down the walk way to the plane and a queue forms again in the tunnel like part and I hear this whistling echoing all around. It is this guy again.

I had a similar experience many years ago. I found out later it was Roger Whittaker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Try a little more patience Ray, it can go a long way...

If I may say so, I can whistle this like a pro ;)

Whistling wouldn't bother me in the slightest. When my Dad was in good form, he whistled, so I associate it with cheerfulness. I love hearing someone whistling, and am prone to a bout of it myself now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

...is noise pollution and an environmental health issue. Report incidents to your local authority or the EPA

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A bit of the old Tuvan throat singing is the apposite response there.

Could be just as easily said to him personally. Not shouted down the hallway
    Diddums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I was recently getting a flight and while waiting in the airport a guy sitting a few seats away started whistling. Just some random tune. After ten minutes of this I turn and stare at him which he seems to understand as a request to stop. Another 10 minutes later he starts up again, I look over again and he stops. Starts again 10 minutes later, stare, stop. About 30 minutes go by and we are all called to the plane.
    Going down the walk way to the plane and a queue forms again in the tunnel like part and I hear this whistling echoing all around. It is this guy again who is behind me further down the queue. So I stand out of the queue and say " Excuse me. Would you mind not whistling it is incredibly irritating?" . No word from him but there is complete silence from everybody. I turn back into the queue and face the plane. Then this women is staring at me literally open mouthed as if I had insulted her. I look at her and say "Yes?" and she slowly turns around with the same expression like a cartoon character.

Am I the only one who thinks whistling around people who aren't paying to listen is irritating?

Long time no see. Aren't you the property tax fella?

• Advertisement

Op what about sitting beside crying baby on a flight? Would you stare the little fecker down? Just wondering how you cope!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

My Dad has taken to doing this. He's brought shopping on a Wednesday. He goes to Dunnes stores and sings various ballads ...the Green Fields of France is a favourite .and various Joe Dolan numbers as well as whistling and doing that other annoying noise like tss tss tss (which we call the symbols) ..how was Da today ...ah he was grand apart from a lot of symbols....

My sister says a few people stare and others say he makes their day (aren't you always in good form!!) but I've no doubt it's annoying to some people but you got to realise everyone is on their own journey...he does it at family dinners as well ...I actually sit back and smile when he does it with new or strange people as their reactions are priceless (my Mam says the staff in Dunnes say..ah, Jaysus - here comes whistlers mother!!!!)

Sometimes when life gives you lemons, there's nothing else for it only to make lemonade.

My Dad is 74, has onset of Dementia and all I can say is keep whistling Da.

Keep whistling.

And fcuk the begrudgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

^^^
    That is just lovely:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

He was doing it in the plane too boss

No he wasn't. He was on the way to the plane according to the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

anewme wrote: »
    My Dad has taken to doing this. He's brought shopping on a Wednesday. He goes to Dunnes stores and sings various ballads ...the Green Fields of France is a favourite .and various Joe Dolan numbers as well as whistling and doing that other annoying noise like tss tss tss (which we call the symbols) ..how was Da today ...ah he was grand apart from a lot of symbols....

My sister says a few people stare and others say he makes their day (aren't you always in good form!!) but I've no doubt it's annoying to some people but you got to realise everyone is on their own journey...he does it at family dinners as well ...I actually sit back and smile when he does it with new or strange people as their reactions are priceless (my Mam says the staff in Dunnes say..ah, Jaysus - here comes whistlers mother!!!!)

Sometimes when life gives you lemons, there's nothing else for it only to make lemonade.

Keep whistling.

And fcuk the begrudgers.

What a brilliantly positive outlook on life regardless of the situation itself ........ tell your Da I said thanks for making me smile. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

anewme wrote: »

Keep whistling.

And fcuk the begrudgers.
    I have a good friend who sounds very like your Dad. We include him in our Old Fogies outings. He doesn't whistle but he constantly comes out with great comic one liners about people around us in coffee shops and the like. The people are never offended, seem to realise the circumstances, respond well to him and enjoy the laugh with him. He brightens the day for everybody. We know this phase will pass and we may lose him as things progress.

Cherish this time and store it away with your happy memories.

As for the airport whistler; the OP ended up the loser. No harm was being done. People have reasons for their actions and all are not sinister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I said "Sometimes", because I'd be a hypocrite if I said it always annoyed me. More often than not, the person doing the whistling is me. I can't help it when I get a good tune stuck in my head. I get that other people don't hear what I hear: I've mentally got the rest of the band behind my whistling, but eveyone else is getting it a capella.

The worst is when someone else starts whistling in response. As if whistling is a social activity? :o

PS this is whistling done right:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

I whistle myself, a fair bit! Don't know why but when the mood gets ya...hate to think it's annoying people

I whistle myself, a fair bit! Don't know why but when the mood gets ya...hate to think it's annoying people

Based on the opening post, I think it's something more about 'whistling around other people who aren't paying to listen' being irritating... so think it's ok if you charge them for the pleasure...

• Advertisement

Based on the opening post, I think it's something more about 'whistling around other people who aren't paying to listen' being irritating... so think it's ok if you charge them for the pleasure...

I don't whistle professionally! Just a habit. Mostly on my own, but could happen in public spaces. Seriously, do folks not do this now and again?

I don't whistle professionally! Just a habit. Mostly on my own, but could happen in public spaces. Seriously, do folks not do this now and again?

Yes. Many folk. It's not that big of a deal, as shown in many of the thread responses.

I wasn't trying to say you whistle professionally, I was just taking the piss a bit out of the opening post :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Me thinks we're whistling in the dark here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

Whistling in public for no good reason is a sign of madness.

You keep a list of what constitutes a 'good reason' though, in order to determine whether someone is mad or not though, right?

Me thinks we're whistling in the dark here.

Seriously though, do you have a favourite song which features whistling?

Mine would probably be Moves Like Jagger, good bit of the auld whistling in that and a good tune too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Says who?

In my Dads case, we call it dementia.

it can happen to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Whistling doesn't bother me so much as people 'effing and blinding' in front of my children, even smartly dressed business men who insert the F word into every second sentence (like a form of low level punctuation)!

Finger snappers also really irritate me, you know the ones who walk around the office snapping & clicking their fingers and think they're really great. Like yes we can all see you & hear you, how cool - Not

LordSutch wrote: »
    Whistling doesn't bother me so much as people 'effing and blinding' in front of my children, even smartly dressed business men who insert the F word into every second sentence (like a form of low level punctuation)!

Finger snappers also really irritate me, you know the ones who walk around the office snapping & clicking their fingers and think they're really cool (not) . . . Girr :mad:

I hear you.

You sound like you'd fit in well over at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057521679

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GFT

Seriously though, do you have a favourite song which features whistling?

Mine would probably be Moves Like Jagger, good bit of the auld whistling in that and a good tune too

Probably the dumbest, shittest tune ever created and I say that despite the mounds of scutter that exist to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

There's hundreds of lives being played out around you every day. They're not all going to fit nicely into your personal little world. If you're getting annoyed by something like whistling, don't leave the house.

• Advertisement
Advertisement