Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whistling in public

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

scouttio wrote: »
    There's hundreds of lives being played out around you every day. They're not all going to fit nicely into your personal little world. If you're getting annoyed by something like whistling, don't leave the house.

Would you be so Zen if someone was kicking the back of your chair in the plane/cinema?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

Would you be so Zen if someone was kicking the back of your chair in the plane/cinema?

I don't know, whistling annoys me so I don't leave the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

Completely different to what happened to the OP. The OP could have gotten up and walked away in the lounge and then ignored the whistling while waiting to board. Once they were on board the whistling would have stopped more than likely. If you're getting your seat kicked for a couple of hours when you can't move away then you'd have every right to say something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Whistling is extremely irritating. I hate it. But I like plenty of peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

anewme wrote: »
    My Dad has taken to doing this. He's brought shopping on a Wednesday. He goes to Dunnes stores and sings various ballads ...the Green Fields of France is a favourite .and various Joe Dolan numbers as well as whistling and doing that other annoying noise like tss tss tss (which we call the symbols) ..how was Da today ...ah he was grand apart from a lot of symbols....

My sister says a few people stare and others say he makes their day (aren't you always in good form!!) but I've no doubt it's annoying to some people but you got to realise everyone is on their own journey...he does it at family dinners as well ...I actually sit back and smile when he does it with new or strange people as their reactions are priceless (my Mam says the staff in Dunnes say..ah, Jaysus - here comes whistlers mother!!!!)

Sometimes when life gives you lemons, there's nothing else for it only to make lemonade.

My Dad is 74, has onset of Dementia and all I can say is keep whistling Da.

Keep whistling.

And fcuk the begrudgers.
    cutest story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

OP what happened when you changed your feminine hygiene product? How wad your mood then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

idnkph wrote: »
    OP what happened when you changed your feminine hygiene product? How wad your mood then?

Lovely sentiment there with a nice big heap of sexism.

Ultimately if you whistle in public you have a good chance of annoying somebody rather than not given the poll results. So any whistlers who think there is no harm now know it is irritating for the majority and do so knowingly are irritating people and thus being rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Lovely sentiment there with a nice big heap of sexism.

Ultimately if you whistle in public you have a good chance of annoying somebody rather than not given the poll results. So any whistlers who think there is no harm now know it is irritating for the majority and do so knowingly are irritating people and thus being rude.

Wow, that's some skewing of the data to meet your own needs.

You could also take it that whistling in public doesn't bother 68% of people most of the time, if you so wished.

Wow, that's some skewing of the data to meet your own needs.

You could also take it that whistling in public doesn't bother 68% of people most of the time, if you so wished.

So you are happy to annoy a third?

So you are happy to annoy a third?

Oh, a change of tack.

Probably, yes. But not deliberately.

• Advertisement

So any whistlers who think there is no harm now know it is irritating for the majority and do so knowingly are irritating people and thus being rude.

No, only whistlers that read this thread or come across nice people staring them down in airport lounges or shouting at them in queues.

The rest of the whistling population will just carry on living their lives.

D*ckhead

SteM wrote: »
    No, only whistlers that read this thread or come across nice people staring them down in airport lounges or shouting at them in queues.
    I didn't shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

When I hear someone whistle, it makes me smile because I assume that that person is happy and that's nice.

I didn't shout.

So you knew that they were annoying you by whistling in the lounge but you still made the choice to stand close enough to them in the queue for them to continue to annoy you and for you to be able to talk to them in a normal voice?

I took for granted that you would have kept well enough away from them that you would have had to shout to them. You were looking for an argument as much as they were basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The rest of the whistling population will just carry on living their lives.

In this case it's whistling, but there are people like the OP who are irritated by everything that other people do and think they have a right to admonish or talk down to others.

Personally, i think the op is way out of order thinking he has the right to give out at some stranger in an airport queue and stare them out of it over something, which maybe annoying and get under your skin but in the overall scheme of things is trivial. You'd want to be careful Op, not everyone is a pushover and who knows what happen if you challenge or correct the wrong person someday?

I make it my business to try to be kind to strangers, a kind word or a smile goes a long way, who knows what is going on in someone's life . However, I have come across narky sods and rude people with zero tolerance for people and I treat them as they treat me. If anyone shouted at me in a queue or anywhere like that I would have no hesitation in letting them know what I think of them in no uncertain words.

If all you have to worry about is bad whistlers, I hope it all keeps fine for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

OP how old was the whistler?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Help!!!! wrote: »
    OP how old was the whistler?

Handbags at dawn over whistling!! Seriously.

I can just hear The theme tune to The Good, The Bad and the Ugly being whistled.....lol!!!

So you knew that they were annoying you by whistling in the lounge but you still made the choice to stand close enough to them in the queue for them to continue to annoy you and for you to be able to talk to them in a normal voice?

I took for granted that you would have kept well enough away from them that you would have had to shout to them. You were looking for an argument as much as they were basically.

Not aware of how queuing works on an airplane? Two ques formed to get on the plane and then merge. As they move at different rates you don't have much choice where you are positioned. It wouldn't have made much difference as it was echoing in the tunnel.

I spoke in my voice without shouting and he could hear me as I was facing him. My sofa is bigger the distance than he was from me so no need to shout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Zimmey

Whistling if the person can't really whistle is always annoying. Whistling if they can whistle? Depends on my mood at the time.

Not aware of how queuing works on an airplane? Two ques formed to get on the plane and then merge. As they move at different rates you don't have much choice where you are positioned. It wouldn't have made much difference as it was echoing in the tunnel.

I spoke in my voice without shouting and he could hear me as I was facing him. My sofa is bigger the distance than he was from me so no need to shout.

I've been on plenty of planes and I know for a fact that if there was someone getting on that I wanted to avoid because they were bugging me I could. Even if it means staying seated until everyone else had started to board. Face it, you were annoyed that he didn't fall for your alpha male staring him down bs and it got to you. You came off as a tool in your story and the lady that stared at you in amazement got it spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

glued wrote: »
    Seriously get a life and a lighten up. You sound like a sour old bugger!
    Read that in a flat Yorkshire accent.Whistling in public is acceptable to me,very trivial thing to get annoyed over.Anyway I'm not allowing myself to be getting into such a debate, I'm off t'pub for a half of bitter laddo.
    *whistles*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

bitter laddo

Much like the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

I can imagine OP staring his girlfriend out of it when he spots her going out wearing a dress he doesn't like.

I was on a quiet red line heading out towards saggart the last night and a yung wan was across from me giving it the eyes and she said psst and I kinda ignored her and she said psst again and I kinda gave her an inquiring look and she whispered across the tram she said look at this and mar ya didn't she flash open her legs and not a stitch on under the short skirt she was wearing well I didn't know where to look but I has an idea and she said psst and I said nothing and she said psst and I kinda gave her a less inquiring but more pensive look and she said I can wink and I momentarily lost composure I said wink? she said wink and she nodded down below and God help me didn't I peek again and lord above it winked at me now I was in an awful plamàs at this stage and when she said psst I looked at her haunted now and when she said do you wanna put a finger in it I lost all sense and roared AH JAYSUS LOVE DONE TELL ME YOU CAN MAKE IT WHISTLE AN ALL

thats my story about public whistling wha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

You keep a list of what constitutes a 'good reason' though, in order to determine whether someone is mad or not though, right?

Yes, whistling is very dangerous, have you not heard what a whistling woman and a crowing hen can do.
    There is 2 medically proven warning signs for madness
    1. Whistling for no good reason and
    2. People who play the spoons

Be careful out there.

I've been on plenty of planes and I know for a fact that if there was someone getting on that I wanted to avoid because they were bugging me I could. Even if it means staying seated until everyone else had started to board. Face it, you were annoyed that he didn't fall for your alpha male staring him down bs and it got to you. You came off as a tool in your story and the lady that stared at you in amazement got it spot on.

1) He had stopped whistling for half an hour
    2) He got in the queue behind me
    3) She didn't stare at me she was staring up at him

Really don't care what you think of my actions. This man was aware he annoyed at least one person when he started whistling in the corridor. You can argue he forgot but either way he was being rude to do so once he had this knowledge. He was imposing his tune on me the same as if he was playing it on his phone speaker which everybody knows is rude.

The woman's actions were actually pretty close to my initial reaction but you think it was right there.It kind of proves that you aren't so bothered by the action than you were saying before. Is it just because it was against whistling? Pretty finely defined set of manners and interactions you have there where staring is acceptable and amazing you can't see how whistling would be considered rude.

Then this women is staring at me literally open mouthed as if I had insulted her. I look at her and say "Yes?" and she slowly turns around with the same expression like a cartoon character.
    She didn't stare at me she was staring up at him.

Now, I'm totally confused.

I can't trust any of this yarn now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Now, I'm totally confused.

I can't trust any of this yarn now.

Ray just got slammed ......... BOOM! :D

PucaMama wrote: »
    D*ckhead

Obviously the auld sense of humor is missed here. enjoy the holiday hahahahah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I think you need to get laid more

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

If I was doing something that annoyed someone I'd probably stop out of politeness. I'm usually a very conscious person. Unless they were an absolute melt like the OP. People that are so easily wound up deserve to be pushed to the brink for the masses enjoyment.

Obviously the auld sense of humor is missed here. enjoy the holiday hahahahah

I see no sense of humour only a poor attempt at being smart. What a disgusting comment to make. And what are you talking about?

Dont be so nosey.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I dislike whistling in public because I was told to dislike it as a sprog. I can't remember the why of it but I was told that whistling or humming is only for when you are alone.

I suppose the reasoning must be that rambunctious in many situations that you encounter it. Rambunctious is a word and you should google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭sixfingered

I do find it very annoying if it lasts more than a couple of minutes of so, but I also find people having loud conversations/phone calls or listening to music loudly the same so I think I might be the problem!

I never leave the house without a set of good earphones as a result. Just the risk you take when you use public transport!

I'd imagine that down the line we'll have similar things that you see in the UK/Europe/North America with things like quiet carriages and the like.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

idnkph, don't post in this thread again. You're just trolling and goading posters.

Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

The Rare Tasmanian Snow Leopard can whistle, but chooses not to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Silbo Gomero ( 'Gomeran whistle'), also known as el silbo ('the whistle'), is a whistled register of Spanish used by inhabitants of La Gomera in the Canary Islands to communicate across the deep ravines and narrow valleys that radiate through the island. It enables messages to be exchanged over a distance of up to 5 kilometres.

If I were you OP I would bypass the Canary Islands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Op, sure it wasn't Roger Whittaker?

http://youtu.be/QBHc1ds-zeE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

worded wrote: »
    The Rare Tasmanian Snow Leopard can whistle, but chooses not to

Otters whistle too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 breffnibiddy

Wouldn't really bother me... I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Wouldn't really bother me... I think

JUst what were you looking up to find this thread?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

The guy in the youtube video looks exactly like what I would expect a top class whistler to look like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I don't mind it at all

Advertisement