Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless issue, UPC horizon, installing new router

Options
  • 02-01-2016 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Any help appreciated. I have a horizon box which is terrible for range. It doesn't reach my bedroom at all. I bought a new router, I can post the specific make and model in about an hour when I'm home. I want to use it in my room for wi fi. I already have an Ethernet cable in my room. When I plug in the new router, I can connect to it, signal is perfect, but no internet access. I see a lot of people talking about having to change settings, I know I can log into the UPC box but what then? I also saw someone mention disabling the DHCP, I guess I just want to know for sure what will work.

If possible I would like to have the UPC box still working with wifi from the living room, but if the new box will for sure work all over the whole apartment, and for some reason I HAVE to turn off the horizon wifi, I'm willing to try that too. It's just not ideal.

And thanks for any help, cheers..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Depends on the new router's model etc.

Plug a laptop/pc into the new router.
    Turn DHCP off.
    Enable bridge mode.
    Setup your Wifi name and password.

That should pretty much cover the main configuration of it.
    Then you can plug the ethernet cable from the horizon box into the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

Depends on the new router's model etc.

Plug a laptop/pc into the new router.
    Turn DHCP off.
    Enable bridge mode.
    Setup your Wifi name and password.

That should pretty much cover the main configuration of it.
    Then you can plug the ethernet cable from the horizon box into the router.
    Thanks for the reply, It was a TP link router, not sure on the model, took hours. Finally, disabling the DHCP fixed everything. But I could only log in from a pc, not a mac. The only thing that still wont work is Chromecast. No idea why, and while trying to get it to work, the router changed all the settings I set back to the original ones and wouldn't work until I noticed and disabled the DHCP again. So weird and annoying.

Advertisement