Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford Election Candidates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭lazer.blue

Wadding not taking her showing well. Seems to think people of Wexford town in particular owe her something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

lazer.blue wrote: »
    Wadding not taking her showing well. Seems to think people of Wexford town in particular owe her something!

Where ya getting that from ? All I see is her saying she's disappointed she didn't do better but hopefully Mythen gets the seat over Kehoe.

Where ya getting that from ? All I see is her saying she's disappointed she didn't do better but hopefully Mythen gets the seat over Kehoe.

From a post on her facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Looks like my prediction of the extent of the demise of Labour has come to pass, and they will struggle even to retain speaking rights.
    Alan Kelly has just been on TV talking about regrouping and rebuilding and will be starting tomorrow to look for suggestions as to where to go.
    I have a suggestion, I suggest he takes Burton and others of like mind within Labour and does a Mick O'Leary, joining the ranks of FG. That would be the best solution for Labour.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

lazer.blue wrote: »
    From a post on her facebook page

I didn't read any of her posts that way at all. She's understandably disappointed, but I didn't read anything particularly bitter or anything. Maybe you could share what she said that makes you think that she thinks Wexford owes her something?

• Advertisement

I didn't read any of her posts that way at all. She's understandably disappointed, but I didn't read anything particularly bitter or anything. Maybe you could share what she said that makes you think that she thinks Wexford owes her something?

This is taken form one of her facebook posts:

'Being honest very disappointed with my vote, particularly with the Wexford town vote given just how hard we worked and that election or no election, I run myself ragged trying to help people.'

Me read of that comment is that Wexford town does owe her something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I think this is the comment

"Being honest very disappointed with my vote, particularly with the Wexford town vote given just how hard we worked and that election or no election, I run myself ragged trying to help people"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

McLoughlin wrote: »
    I think this is the comment

"Being honest very disappointed with my vote, particularly with the Wexford town vote given just how hard we worked and that election or no election, I run myself ragged trying to help people"

Not a fan but I think an understandable reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

How is being disappointed thinking your owed something?

How is being disappointed thinking your owed something?

I don't think being disappointed in itself is thinking you're owed something. It's only natural that everyone who unsuccessfully ran in the election will be disappointed but as I said, my read of that comment is that after all she feels she has done for people in Wexford town more should have voted for her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

When all is said and done, as poor as the lookout for Wexford was before this Election it's future is doomed for certain now. Howlin and Wallace in a political wilderness. Darcy and Kehoe both as useful as tits on a bull leaving us with Browne as our only voice. I really hope he has more back bone than his father.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

jca wrote: »
    When all is said and done, as poor as the lookout for Wexford was before this Election it's future is doomed for certain now. Howlin and Wallace in a political wilderness. Darcy and Kehoe both as useful as tits on a bull leaving us with Browne as our only voice. I really hope he has more back bone than his father.
    If you wanted a Fianna Fáiler with opinions, Browne isn't the man you're looking for. I wouldn't be able to tell you what he stands for and what he opposes. By first impressions, he'll be content to tow the line until he passes on the seat to his own son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

There was no shortage of back bone in John Browne. If he had no backbone he might have got more respect within the ff party. Poll topping td passed over for a senior ministerial position time after time because of his staunch resolve not to be corrupted. He fell out with Charlie and then Bertie who was Charlie's protege.

man98 wrote: »
    If you wanted a Fianna Fáiler with opinions, Browne isn't the man you're looking for. I wouldn't be able to tell you what he stands for and what he opposes. By first impressions, he'll be content to tow the line until he passes on the seat to his own son.

I don't think he will be as subservient as his aul fella. His first task will be getting daddy off his hip permanently. If he does that and actually uses the education he has he can only do better than pops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

What's the story with this a stamp machine not working?? Spoiling votes

http://www.thejournal.ie/spoiled-votes-waterford-2629008-Feb2016/

Willfarman wrote: »
    There was no shortage of back bone in John Browne. If he had no backbone he might have got more respect within the ff party. Poll topping td passed over for a senior ministerial position time after time because of his staunch resolve not to be corrupted. He fell out with Charlie and then Bertie who was Charlie's protege.

If he was that concerned about FF corruption why didn't he highlight it? Better again why didn't he make a stand with that imaginary backbone, ditch FF and run as an independent? The reason he was never giver a ministerial position is because he was too stupid, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭gmurphy70

Wonder why was John Browne overlooked?? If he had been a strong candidate nationally he would of got a ministerial job at some stage. Here is hoping that Jnr can step out of his fathers grip and go do something decent for Wexford and not the parish pump type politics. The rest have all been there done sweet fcukall so yet again The Wx electorate put these useless candidates back on the gravy train. Like why would anyone with any brain vote for Paul Kehoe?? Can put a sentence together and runs around jumping into photos with a stupid grin. Howlin and co told lie after lie to get into power but amnesia must of kicked in with Wx public. We will burn the bond holders,it's labours way or Frankfurts way, we will get rid of all FF quangos, and fight the banks for a better deal for all mortgage holders. Darcy been there before done nothing and I think we have all heard enough of Wallace. So yeah Wexford if Fcuked again for next 5 years.

But but in fairness to john Browne

gmurphy70 wrote: »
    Wonder why was John Browne overlooked?? If he had been a strong candidate nationally he would of got a ministerial job at some stage. Here is hoping that Jnr can step out of his fathers grip and go do something decent for Wexford and not the parish pump type politics. The rest have all been there done sweet fcukall so yet again The Wx electorate put these useless candidates back on the gravy train. Like why would anyone with any brain vote for Paul Kehoe?? Can put a sentence together and runs around jumping into photos with a stupid grin. Howlin and co told lie after lie to get into power but amnesia must of kicked in with Wx public. We will burn the bond holders,it's labours way or Frankfurts way, we will get rid of all FF quangos, and fight the banks for a better deal for all mortgage holders. Darcy been there before done nothing and I think we have all heard enough of Wallace. So yeah Wexford if Fcuked again for next 5 years.

Spot on. The only sliver of hope we have is that whatever government is formed (if any) doesn't last pissing time and we get another election. All we need then are a few candidates worth voting for......

• Advertisement

Spot on. The only sliver of hope we have is that whatever government is formed (if any) doesn't last pissing time and we get another election. All we need then are a few candidates worth voting for......

Problem is tho it will just be the same people again

If he was that concerned about FF corruption why didn't he highlight it? Better again why didn't he make a stand with that imaginary backbone, ditch FF and run as an independent? The reason he was never giver a ministerial position is because he was too stupid, end of.

He held a junior minister position but his lack of education may of been a mitigating factor but most definately not stupidity. He started his working life as an oil delivery man. He worked tirelessly for the people who voted for him. And that's the system. Not his making. But I know he wouldn't take a brown envelope. Many gob****es tried him in my part of world. A rock solid rural politician.

Compare to mick Wallace who believes he is above parish pump politics. No clinics. Can't be contacted. No ffing way is this clown going to have any influence on national legislation and he won't work on issues for his constituents. He is as useful as underwater hair dryer.. Netting a td salary and pension for doing f all.

But yes these are the types who will put the country on its feet. Independents who waffle about corruption.

He held a junior minister position but his lack of education may of been a mitigating factor but most definately not stupidity. He started his working life as an oil delivery man. He worked tirelessly for the people who voted for him. And that's the system. Not his making. But I know he wouldn't take a brown envelope. Many gob****es tried him in my part of world. A rock solid rural politician.

Compare to mick Wallace who believes he is above parish pump politics. No clinics. Can't be contacted. No ffing way is this clown going to have any influence on national legislation and he won't work on issues for his constituents. He is as useful as underwater hair dryer.. Netting a td salary and pension for doing f all.

But yes these are the types who will put the country on its feet. Independents who waffle about corruption.

Same can be said for John Browne,how many years had he been in the Dail? He has done nothing on a national level. Rural politicians should be left in the council and look after medical cards and potholes from there. Independents don't have a voice but Browne stayed as a backbencher for his Dail career and drew down a huge salary when all his contribution was of the parish pump type that could be done from the council. Throw in Darcy/Kehoe in to that category as well,waste of a salary and offers nothing on a. National level.

Same can be said for John Browne,how many years had he been in the Dail? He has done nothing on a national level. Rural politicians should be left in the council and look after medical cards and potholes from there. Independents don't have a voice but Browne stayed as a backbencher for his Dail career and drew down a huge salary when all his contribution was of the parish pump type that could be done from the council. Throw in Darcy/Kehoe in to that category as well,waste of a salary and offers nothing on a. National level.

He done quite a bit on the fisheries and quota in his time as junior minister. Situation has disimproved dramatically since. 33 years as a td. As I say he didn't make the system but he worked harder than any Wexford td for his constituents. Anyone who approached him regardless of their background or political loyalty he would work at issues for them. Including a lot of descant builders developers on the wrong side of banks in the bust that I know personally. L And no underhand stuff. No brown envelopes. The bould George lee thought he was going to waltz in and do national policy without the boring mundane stuff. And the toys went straight out of the Pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

I don't think he will be as subservient as his aul fella. His first task will be getting daddy off his hip permanently. If he does that and actually uses the education he has he can only do better than pops.

I'd hope that this is the case, but I would have much preferred having Malcolm Byrne if I was forced to select a FFer. Browne needs to prove to me that he's capable of anything before I even consider giving him a low preference.

man98 wrote: »
    I'd hope that this is the case, but I would have much preferred having Malcolm Byrne if I was forced to select a FFer. Browne needs to prove to me that he's capable of anything before I even consider giving him a low preference.

I didn't give him a scratch either going on his father's track record but having heard him briefly on the radio I have a tiny bit of confidence in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I didn't give him a scratch either going on his father's track record but having heard him briefly on the radio I have a tiny bit of confidence in him.

He does speak well, and he's a well educated man.
    Kehoe however needs elocution lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

1992 Minister of State at the Department of Agriculture and Food with special responsibility for the Food Industry
    1993 Minister of State at the Department of the Environment with special responsibility for Environmental Protection
    2002 Minister of State at the Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources
    2004 Minister of State at the Department of Agriculture and Food
    2006 Minister of State with responsibility for the Marine
    2007 Minister of State for Fisheries

STB. wrote: »
    1992 Minister of State at the Department of Agriculture and Food with special responsibility for the Food Industry
    1993 Minister of State at the Department of the Environment with special responsibility for Environmental Protection
    2002 Minister of State at the Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources
    2004 Minister of State at the Department of Agriculture and Food
    2006 Minister of State with responsibility for the Marine
    2007 Minister of State for Fisheries

Junior Ministry, waste of time and a token jesture. Was never in the running for a ministerial job, one wonders despite his long tenures in the Dail he was never trusted for any big job.... He could of worked for his constituents from the council . We need strong candidates that could influence the IDA to get jobs to Wx, it shows how poor our elected candidates have been for years to let this fine county drop to the second highest unemployment county. A crying shame,once they get elected they draw down the big salary and keep up the parish pump clinics so that they can secure their seat. Simon Coveney was on Newstalk last week naming the amount of jobs he brought to every town in Cork,now that is influence,was so jealous. its the county that suffers here, baffled how the electorate re-elected the same failed TDs time and time again,sickening....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Looking at the number of FG candidates sneaking in on late counts, totally against the total share of the vote, just emphasises the need to take care of who you give your lower preferences to. First preferences are important but if you look at the number of TDs elected on first preferences alone, the number is quite small and even a 10th or lower preference can make a difference.
    I think there will be another election in the not too distant future, FF may take the option of going into opposition and supporting a minority FG/Labour government, pulling the plug when they think the timing is to their advantage. Martin's adamant stance on scrapping water charges might be a disincentive to FF taking part in Coalition as the likes of Boyd-Barrett, Coppinger and Murphy will not let it drop and if it doesn't happen FF would implode at the next election, so better for them to stay out and portray themselves as the alternative government.
    FF have done well at the polls but not nearly as well as they might have expected given the unpopularity of the current government and the cabinet in particular. Hopeully the era o Civil War politics is drawing to a close.

Advertisement