Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awesome Games Done Quick

Options
  • 02-01-2016 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭

Anyone gonna be tuning in for this? I enjoy watching some of the marathons.

For those who do not know what it is, basically it is an event that happens twice a year where people play games for charity. They try to complete the games as fast as possible and set records.

Here is the schedule: https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

You will be able to watch here: http://www.twitch.tv/GamesDoneQuick

I love it :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll be tuning in and donating. Usually it's a week of me being grumpy and very tired at work and I drop everything to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

I am excited :) I have nothing on for the next week so will be able to catch a lot of it.

I am rewatching the yoshi's island run from last summer again right now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Didn't some guy make a complete eejit out of himself last year with his commentary?

Didn't some guy make a complete eejit out of himself last year with his commentary?

Probably, I cannot think of anything major right now but there is always some really cringy moments.

What major games have come out of AGDQ?

• Advertisement

What major games have come out of AGDQ?

Huh? It's not a game development marathon like the Ludum Dare but a marathon of people trying to finish playing games as fast as possible. They attempt to break records, though most of the runs are not perfect because the people playing are usually commentating at the same time which sometimes puts them off their game. It's more the novelty than anything but they do raise a lot of money for charity. Last summer I think it was 1.3mil for doctors without borders. They also give out prizes to donors, I have yet to win anything :P maybe this time!

First game is at 5pm today and is a splatoon any% run which means they do not need to do everything in the game, just finish to the credits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah it was the crash bandicoot runner making suicide jokes... No cool.

Still it's a great event, very entertaining and it raises a lot for charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Watching the Splatoon run. It's mad some of the things they find

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Watching the Splatoon run. It's mad some of the things they find

Yeah these guys play the same game over and over again trying to shave a second off their best time. They try every possible calculable maneuver to find these tricks. Sometimes manipulating the memory itself as is the case famously in the earlier pokemon games.

Splatoon run was fun to watch, 14 seconds off the world record! Same guy has the record anyway :P

Huh? It's not a game development marathon like the Ludum Dare but a marathon of people trying to finish playing games as fast as possible. They attempt to break records, though most of the runs are not perfect because the people playing are usually commentating at the same time which sometimes puts them off their game. It's more the novelty than anything but they do raise a lot of money for charity. Last summer I think it was 1.3mil for doctors without borders. They also give out prizes to donors, I have yet to win anything :P maybe this time!

First game is at 5pm today and is a splatoon any% run which means they do not need to do everything in the game, just finish to the credits.

Ohhhh. What's the 24 hour game development contest?

• Advertisement

That Mario kart finish was mental :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Mario 64 race coming up.

For those of you who havent played it since it came out, their speed will blow your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

That was pretty awesome I must say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

I remember back while playing Skyrim someone said you can do the main game in under three hours.

I tried and it took my 3.5 hours to beat it, literally doing noting but main quest.

allibastor wrote: »
    I remember back while playing Skyrim someone said you can do the main game in under three hours.

I tried and it took my 3.5 hours to beat it, literally doing noting but main quest.

World record is just under 38 minutes :)

http://www.speedrun.com/skyrim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

World record is just under 38 minutes :)

http://www.speedrun.com/skyrim

Feckin Hell, that is mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

I'm probably getting it mixed up, but was it AGDQ event where it was two player Dark Souls? As in two people playing on one controller? I can't fathom how they managed that. Can't even play it on one.

me_irl wrote: »
    I'm probably getting it mixed up, but was it AGDQ event where it was two player Dark Souls? As in two people playing on one controller? I can't fathom how they managed that. Can't even play it on one.

That was summer games done quick, same crowd but in summer :P

Here is a replay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6-Hgi_KTnw

One of the donation goals this year is super metroid 2 players one controller. I hope that goal is met :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I see the schedule for today and tomorrow, would really be interested in watching the Resi Evil and Hotline Miami run throughs. (ET timezone). Live link through Polygon as well.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/3/10703936/watch-awesome-games-done-quick-live-right-here

Monday, Jan. 4

• 9:01 a.m.: Devil May Cry 3 or 4: Special Edition (PvtCb) 3: Dante NG Normal v 4: Vergil NG Devil Hunter
    • 10:41 a.m.: Transformers: Devastation (Halfcoordinated) Any% NG+ Prime Difficulty, 1-Handed
    • 11:46 a.m.: Resident Evil HD Remaster (Carcinogen) Jill or Chris Real Survival Best Ending
    • 1:41 p.m.: Super Star Wars Striker (Danzel_Glovington) Any% Race
    • 2:21 p.m.: The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse (R3DninjaJOSH, darbian) Any% Hard
    • 2:51 p.m.: Disney's Aladdin (JoeDamilio) Any%
    • 3:21 p.m.: The Lion King (TheMexicanRunner) Any% Hard
    • 3:51 p.m.: Goof Troop (Yagamoth) any% 1p2c
    • 4:26 p.m.: Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX (Zetris) Any% Proud
    • 8:06 p.m.: BattleBlock Theater (MechaRichter, PJ) Any% Co-op Insane
    • 10:06 p.m.: Ori and the Blind Forest (Grimelios, Ankamius) All Cells
    • 11:16 p.m.: Velocity 2X (Nosraef) New Game Any%

Tuesday, Jan. 5

• 1:11 a.m.: Super Time Force Ultra (Tohloo) All Missions
    • 1:51 a.m.: Fez (Vulajin) Any%
    • 2:31 a.m.: Axiom Verge (GVirus) Any%
    • 3:41 a.m.: Hotline Miami (Snowfats) NG+ All Levels
    • 4:21 a.m.: Iji (Studio) Any% or Pacifist
    • 5:11 a.m.: Hero Core (Dragondarch) any% Normal
    • 5:56 a.m.: Teslagrad (frozentrually) Any% Legacy
    • 6:41 a.m.: A Hat In Time (Beta) (Shockwve) All Time Pieces
    • 7:21 a.m.: Cloudbuilt Midboss (Wobs23) Original22 (Rush Mode)
    • 7:46 a.m.: Kero Blaster (draculantern) Any%
    • 8:26 a.m.: Snapshot (Nightmare47) Any%

The races I find the most entertaining, some can be ridiculously close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Man, the guy is bombing round resi evil with japanese language in the game but it's obvious he knows what everything already says and menu options. He is showing how to go up/down stairs at an angle to break the animation and it makes you faster on stairs, madness.

That aladdin ending was pretty funny :P

Looking forward to Kingdom Hearts run. It's a god awful game with god awful fans but last years speed run was great fun. Best thing about ADGQ is usually the best games are the ones you don't expect, like the Tetris showcase last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I think the "big one" this year will be the Super Mario Maker blind race.
    Some of the frame perfect stuff Mitch & Dram can do is just mindblowing.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Looking forward to Kingdom Hearts run. It's a god awful game with god awful fans but last years speed run was great fun. Best thing about ADGQ is usually the best games are the ones you don't expect, like the Tetris showcase last year.

I call them "Keyaboos." Like weaboos...but with a key. :p

The couch makes the run to be honest. If the runner or somebody commentating on the couch is interesting, funny, or has a great voice it makes for a good watch.

Love watching GDQ. Battleblock Theater is awesome to watch when Stamper is around.

Ori is up next. Half the chat will probably go straight onto steam and buy it.

Or at least they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just watched FEZ. Couldn't follow any of it. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Metroid Prime is always great to watch. That's up in 3 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Less than an hour to get through Super Metroid with 2 people using one controller? Crazy

Advertisement