Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Identical laptops on Currys website - 2 different prices

Options
  • 02-01-2016 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

been looking on the currys website at their 2-in-one Lenovo laptops.
    Unless I am missing something here there are 2 laptops with the same identical specs except for one is red and one is white in colour. The red one appears to be €469 and the white one is €349 ... is there really a price difference of €120 because its red and not white or am I missing something? - or is it maybe that the cheaper white one is out of stock and the more expensive red one is available to order? :rolleyes:

http://www.currys.ie/action/searchsite/lenovo-yoga-500-14#&&Page=4

12367_10207942328889933_5199267910268069994_n.jpg?oh=eded77651f847b0b5deefc43a41b8a29&oe=570AC04F

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Often happens. Check washing machines. One price for white, one for black, one for silver. Quite common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

White one is out of stock anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

athtrasna wrote: »
    Often happens. Check washing machines. One price for white, one for black, one for silver. Quite common.

Seen it with TV/Monitors as well, for some reason, the white one tends to be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They're both discounted, one is discounted more, probably cos they weren't selling. Problem solved it seems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

ah well - I stand corrected then :(

• Advertisement

White one is out of stock anyway.

convenient - white not available ..... but is cheaper! <conspiracy?> - it wouldnt be the first time I have seen or heard of Currys advertise something at a cheap price but havent got or ever had the item in stock! - I just thought it might be the scenario this time too.

i know im like a dog with a bone - but both (colours) "was €669.99" .......

Probably why white mobile phone are generally cheaper than black. Or red than white. Some colours sell better than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

i know im like a dog with a bone - but both (colours) "was €669.99" .......

Yes. "Was". White didn't sell; so white is reduced to clear stock.

Probably why white mobile phone are generally cheaper than black. Or red than white. Some colours sell better than others.

funny that, I have always noticed that sometimes White mobile phones were dearer than black mobile phone .... and even then only €10 or€20 dearer ... not hundreds because its a different colour!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

convenient - white not available ..... but is cheaper! <conspiracy?> - it wouldnt be the first time I have seen or heard of Currys advertise something at a cheap price but havent got or ever had the item in stock! - I just thought it might be the scenario this time too.

I have seen loads of things that have been in sales on various websites and no further stock available at the time I wanted to buy. No conspiracy at all. Actually I prefer if a website allows you to filter out of stock items from view

what a shame "talk to..... Currys" is shut down now on boards.ie ... I mean it could always be a mistake with the price - wrongly advertised maybe?

i dunno why a White one would be a poor seller - id love the white one... especially rather than red!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

You can have a higher specification one in white for €449.99

http://www.currys.ie/Product/lenovo-yoga-500-14-2-in-1-white/334879/401.0.0

I can't find the white one you have in your picture on the website

You can have a higher specification one in white for €449.99

http://www.currys.ie/Product/lenovo-yoga-500-14-2-in-1-white/334879/401.0.0

I can't find the white one you have in your picture on the website

€100 euro more though than the one i was looking at. 500gb HD would have done me - mind you still looks cheaper than DID electrical they want €639 for their one with 1TB and thats with "a sale on"!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

DSG can't even get their website or arrange things by price, it arranges by old price then applies the discount. It's appealing to the galactic level morons that think 'I'm saving €120!!!' not I'm spending €369.

Three other points.

DSG (Currys/PC World/Carphone/Dixons at the airport) where where O'Leary went for customer services lessons. They are literally the worst possible combination of incompetent/ignorant/profiteering off idiots and simply not arsed. Solution: Amazon, don't have a credit card, 3V voucher, never at home - parcel motel. Need it now, now, now - buy in Argos.

Next they reduce prices (and so do Argos) to you don't buy the one that was only €100 off somewhere else. You wait, then it a) never comes back into stock, b) comes back in and the price goes back up. Also how exactly do you think you get €150 off in the first place. Thats right, they simply charge a higher price for it and hide it in the back of the store until they can 'mark it down' and see point ref galactic level morons.

I've forgotten my third point but it was probably something to do with you'd be better doing with Del boy than that bunch of...

(NB pretty much any bricks and mortar aren't much better. Argos, maybe by a tiny margin.)

DSG can't even get their website or arrange things by price, it arranges by old price then applies the discount. It's appealing to the galactic level morons that think 'I'm saving €120!!!' not I'm spending €369.

Three other points.

DSG (Currys/PC World/Carphone/Dixons at the airport) where where O'Leary went for customer services lessons. They are literally the worst possible combination of incompetent/ignorant/profiteering off idiots and simply not arsed. Solution: Amazon, don't have a credit card, 3V voucher, never at home - parcel motel. Need it now, now, now - buy in Argos.

Next they reduce prices (and so do Argos) to you don't buy the one that was only €100 off somewhere else. You wait, then it a) never comes back into stock, b) comes back in and the price goes back up. Also how exactly do you think you get €150 off in the first place. Thats right, they simply charge a higher price for it and hide it in the back of the store until they can 'mark it down' and see point ref galactic level morons.

I've forgotten my third point but it was probably something to do with you'd be better doing with Del boy than that bunch of...

(NB pretty much any bricks and mortar aren't much better. Argos, maybe by a tiny margin.)

yep agree - you put in "price low-high" on their websites and you get say like €349 then €449 and then the next item is €649 and then scroll down and you get €469 - all arseways and not sorted properly, you really got to have your wits about ye.

yep - seen that before where something comes back into stock and the price goes up higher than what it was when they were out of stock, the scammers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Sorry I get carried away when it comes to DSG... I really have a bee in the bonnett.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Marketing ploy.

Aldi did it for years , Laptops for sale this Sunday only €99 !!! Ads all over the place and people queueing up for them and lots of chat about them. Ah sure Aldi are mighty and cheap !!

Come Sunday each store has only 2 or 3 laptops , 20 people disappointed but thousands believing that aldi are mighty and cheap.

Shelflife wrote: »
    Marketing ploy.

Aldi did it for years , Laptops for sale this Sunday only €99 !!! Ads all over the place and people queueing up for them and lots of chat about them. Ah sure Aldi are mighty and cheap !!

Come Sunday each store has only 2 or 3 laptops , 20 people disappointed but thousands believing that aldi are mighty and cheap.

haha - netbooks at the very least at 99 quid, not laptops - and I bet out of those 2 or 3 special offers the per branch the staff get first pickings and buy em lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement