Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jigsaws - 2 year old.

Options
  • 02-01-2016 6:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

Hi

My son is just over 2 years old - 25 months.

We have jigsaws that are 2, 3, 4 and 5 pieces.

I have been trying to make him do these jigsaws but he cannot even do the 2 piece one.

I literally lay it on a plate for him - I leave the 2 pieces side by side. Even get his hand and show him how to join them but he just cannot do it on his own. He tries to push them together and this obviously won't work. He just cannot join them together.

I do the jigsaws in from of him myself multiple times - to show him how to do them but he just seems to have no interest.

Anyone have any similiar issues ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi

I have been trying to make him do these jigsaws but he cannot even do the 2 piece one.

I literally lay it on a plate for him - I leave the 2 pieces side by side. Even get his hand and show him how to join them but he just cannot do it on his own. He tries to push them together and this obviously won't work. He just cannot join them together.

I do the jigsaws in from of him myself multiple times - to show him how to do them but he just seems to have no interest.

My guy is 2 in a few days, we don't have jigsaws but he puts wooden train tracks together and toot toot tracks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Millem wrote: »
    My guy is 2 in a few days, we don't have jigsaws but he puts wooden train tracks together and toot toot tracks.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

My 3.5 year old won't look at jigsaws. She hates them and just won't play with them: I wouldn't worry. The only peg jigsaw set she ever plays with is a Melissa & Doug one that makes noises. And I don't really consider them jigsaws!

cyning wrote: »
    My 3.5 year old won't look at jigsaws. She hates them and just won't play with them: I wouldn't worry. The only peg jigsaw set she ever plays with is a Melissa & Doug one that makes noises. And I don't really consider them jigsaws!

Thanks.

Guess it boils down to the every child is different. And some can make 24 piece jigsaws at 2 whereas others have zero interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Thanks.

Guess it boils down to the every child is different. And some can make 24 piece jigsaws at 2 whereas others have zero interest.

True. My 33month old is pretty good at jigsaws and anything that requires building or making but he's very little speech and has been referred to HSE for assessment of need with suspected ASD so I would definitely hold that kids all have different strengths and uniquenesses (is that a word?!). Have you any other concerns? If he/she is developing and reaching milestones as is considered normal, I wouldn't fret too much.

• Advertisement

yellow hen wrote: »
    True. My 33month old is pretty good at jigsaws and anything that requires building or making but he's very little speech and has been referred to HSE for assessment of need with suspected ASD so I would definitely hold that kids all have different strengths and uniquenesses (is that a word?!). Have you any other concerns? If he/she is developing and reaching milestones as is considered normal, I wouldn't fret too much.

He is not talking properly yet. He has some words and understands what things are and knows what to get when you tell him etc. But I notice other children his age are better at talking.

He did have "glue ear" (constant ear infections) and had grommets put in at 18 months. Doctors said this glue ear could delay his speech by 6 months.

He is not talking properly yet. He has some words and understands what things are and knows what to get when you tell him etc. But I notice other children his age are better at talking.

He did have "glue ear" (constant ear infections) and had grommets put in at 18 months. Doctors said this glue ear could delay his speech by 6 months.

My son had that too and now has grommets in both ears. He still has time to start talking but maybe talk to your PHN and get him onto speech and language list as it can be up to a year long.

My son had that too and now has grommets in both ears. He still has time to start talking but maybe talk to your PHN and get him onto speech and language list as it can be up to a year long.

Oh ok. My lad had about 11 ear infections and in turn 4 febrile convulsions.

Yeah, might bring him to a phn. Although he has his developmental check on Wednesday.

Does you child have any speech at all ? Like saying no or moo moo, woof woof etc. ?

Oh ok.

Does you child have any speech at all ? Like saying no or moo moo, woof woof etc. ?

He does now but he's much older than your child. He still only has about 30-40 words. His comprehension is well in advance of his speech but probably below where it should be at his age. Personally I don't think he has ASD but a rather big developmental delay but time will tell that.

Your guys ears sound worse than mine so it could absolutely be a good reason for his delay. Re PHN, push for speech and language. My old PHN was very lax and I had to push to get on the list.

He does now but he's much older than your child. He still only has about 30-40 words. His comprehension is well in advance of his speech but probably below where it should be at his age. Personally I don't think he has ASD but a rather big developmental delay but time will tell that.

Your guys ears sound worse than mine so it could absolutely be a good reason for his delay. Re PHN, push for speech and language. My old PHN was very lax and I had to push to get on the list.

Ah he isn't that much older.

Thanks for the info.

• Advertisement

Ah he isn't that much older.

Thanks for the info.

8 months at that age is huge. It could make a world of difference. We have 2 months until his 3rd birthday and I'm still living in hope that he'll have a lot more words!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Thanks.

Yep. Our three-year old couldn't care less about jigsaws. He learned to jump much later than his peers. However he will talk the hind-legs off a donkey, and can draw freehand stick people. We'll continue to bring out the jigsaws sometimes as it does no harm for them to do things they don't want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭josip

Before our lad got into jigsaws he used to love stacking wooden blocks on top of each other to see how high they could go.
    No particular pattern, just knowing that one should go on top of the other.

8 months at that age is huge. It could make a world of difference. We have 2 months until his 3rd birthday and I'm still living in hope that he'll have a lot more words!

Yeah, actually, yeah, I suppose it is.

Hope the next 2 months proves fruitful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

My fella is almost 2 and shows interest in jigsaws and brings me the pieces to do for him but he can't manage to put the pieces together himself. Have you tried any of those wooden peg puzzles? Similar to jigsaws but easier for little hands to manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

At that age my first loved peg puzzles. Jigsaws came shortly after that.

If it helps ease your mind, my first got gromits at 22 months, she had limited words and wasn't walking! Within 2 months she was running and had a lot more words. At 3 1/2 now she is still a little behind in terms of pronunciation, but nothing else. Compare it to our second who is now 22 months and we have full conversations.

Every Child is different. Both of mine loved and still love duplo, though we've moved to normal lego now, maybe it's worth a shot?

My fella is almost 2 and shows interest in jigsaws and brings me the pieces to do for him but he can't manage to put the pieces together himself. Have you tried any of those wooden peg puzzles? Similar to jigsaws but easier for little hands to manage.

Hi. Yeah, my lad tries to push the parts together, doesn't get the concept of joining them.

He has 1 peg puzzle alright and can only kinda do it but soon gets frustrated. I might give that a blast again tomorrow.

At that age my first loved peg puzzles. Jigsaws came shortly after that.

If it helps ease your mind, my first got gromits at 22 months, she had limited words and wasn't walking! Within 2 months she was running and had a lot more words. At 3 1/2 now she is still a little behind in terms of pronunciation, but nothing else. Compare it to our second who is now 22 months and we have full conversations.

Every Child is different. Both of mine loved and still love duplo, though we've moved to normal lego now, maybe it's worth a shot?

Thanks. Could be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Happydippy

Hi

My little one turned 2 in Dec, she loves doing jigsaws with her Dad. she can manage 3 & 4 piece wooden ones herself but likes doing bigger ones, but needs alot of help.

Maybe your Son just doesn't like jigsaws. when playing with them keep it fun. We have ones with her favourite animals and characters.

On its own I wouldn't think it a problem, can he stack blocks, or fit lego-type blocks together?
    Each child is different, but they do need opportunities to practice skills, but don't force it, maybe try again in a week or two.
    If you're worried about developmental milestones speak to a Phn.

Happydippy wrote: »
    My little one turned 2 in Dec, she loves doing jigsaws with her Dad. she can manage 3 & 4 piece wooden ones herself but likes doing bigger ones, but needs alot of help.

Maybe your Son just doesn't like jigsaws. when playing with them keep it fun. We have ones with her favourite animals and characters.

On its own I wouldn't think it a problem, can he stack blocks, or fit lego-type blocks together?
    Each child is different, but they do need opportunities to practice skills, but don't force it, maybe try again in a week or two.
    If you're worried about developmental milestones speak to a Phn.

He can sort of stack blocks and do Lego but not great at it.

• Advertisement

Tried him out today again on the peg puzzle and he actually wasn't bad. 7 animals - I tell him to take out the hippo , rhino etc and he knows what one to take out. I then tell him to put back zebra, lion etc and he picks the right one and space to put it in to. Sometimes when it doesn't go in first go, he tries to push on them really hard to make them fit in ; ) but I just have to tell him to be gentle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I found with my son that I had to show him the jigsaws and then go away and let him do them by himself. Not just sit there and leave him to his own devices. I had to actually leave the room and not be caught peeking in at him. He was like that with a lot of things other than jigsaws, his scooter, his bike, etc. He just obviously got a bad case of performance anxiety and would only try things he was worried he would fail at when he was alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I noticed with my son that it depended on the pictures of the jigsaw. He is also 25 months, he had a few 4 piece wooden jigsaws of various animals and he would never put them together. He got some 6 and 8 piece jigsaws over xmas that had various vehicles on them. He is mad about his cars and trucks, he throws all the pieces of the various jigsaws into a pile and has no problem sorting and putting them together.

Advertisement