Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet urine in hotel bed !!!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,036 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cerocco wrote: »
    The duty manager changed us to a different room, offered us dinner the next night and and upgrade to a suite on the second night. Also offered a spa treatment. To be fair he was mortified and tried his best but we left first thing next morning

So what the hell else do you want?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Cerocco wrote: »
    Back to original question is there an external body I can report this hotel to?

I'm not sure what you're hoping to achieve by reporting a relatively minor incident that appears to have been addressed in a fairly solid way by the hotel.

What are you hoping the external body are going to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

I'm with the majority of other posters opinions in this thread.

Leave it alone.

You were adequately upgraded and I thought the apology was more than enough the hotel could do! They will deal with the issue themselves internally.

To be honest, I'd question your character if you're pursuing this for monetary gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

The OP and hubby have a cash figure in their head which they feel will go some way to compensating them for for what they consider to be a ruined holiday
    They also feel that the hotel needs to be inspected and corrected by some official body and in their heads this is a matter of almost national importance
    No, I wouldn't like to sit on someone else's piss either. Especially if I were pregnant
    But because I'm blessed to have at least some perspective on life, I would have been delighted to accept the apology and the compensation offered
    I'm also happy to accept that I'm not perfect at my job and hardly anyone is and everyone makes mistakes
    Especially if the room in general appeared to be very clean, apart from the bed
    This country at the moment is full of people bordering on hysteria about every little thing that they perceive has been done to them maliciously either deliberately or neglectfully
    There are not enough apologies in the world to placate them

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

Your complaint was dealt with in a wholly appropriate and acceptable manner I really can not understand the aim of this thread.

Thank God I don't work in the service industry. Entitlement is rife and offence easily taken by many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I think no matter how luxurious hotels make themselves out to be at the end of the day you're sleeping in a bed that could have a couple of hundred people in it every year! No matter if the sheets are changed the mattress and fixtures and fittings aren't.

This kind of stuff is just a risk that you take. It's not nice and i really do feel for a pregnant woman laying in urine and i think if it happened to me I'd explore redress as well.

People on here saying stuff like it's the age we live in that people feel offended need to put themselves in this woman's position.

If it happened to them would they be happy to take an upgrade in a hotel they know has questionable hygiene standards? Would they be able to continue with their break and completely forget what had happened?

Saying all that I don't think there's anything more that could be done. I think if I had been in your position I would have taken a refund and left there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

It sounds to me that the OP wants nothing in the form of compensation, and everything in the way of knowing the person responsible for the oversight will be brought to task appropriately.

It's absolutely disgraceful that this was not noticed while the room was being prepared for new guests. Somebody really dropped the ball, as either the sheets were not changed at all, or fresh sheets were put onto a wet bed and this was never checked, both of which are unacceptable.

Personally, I would be happy to leave it with the manager, but the assumption that someone who wants this reported to an outside authority is automatically looking for some kind of compensation is disturbing. Maybe they simply don't trust the manager to handle the situation properly? Considering that they had this experience at all, that's an understandable feeling.

OP, you could possibly have a word with the HSA about it, but I'm not sure this falls within its remit. If you really want to make sure they're obligated to deal with it, a post on TripAdvisor or similar might be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MRBASS

some of the replys here a childish at best.when you see posts trying to claim"ah sure it only piss" (or words to that effect.)your dealing with some brain dead fools.,or just complete gob****es trying to share there opinion on something they have not a clue about.ive spoken to my friend here,she is a manager in a well known hotel,your experiance is something that no hotel guest should ever come across,it ticks many many health concern boxes,you should by right get a call from the manager come monday and im sure another stay in hotel or sister hotels will be on offer,but by all accounts dont mind anyone on here trying to make you look foolish claiming your over reacting OR you got your apology of the hotel what else do you want,maybe they dont mind lying in someones piss,its obvious you dont,its a major major deal for any hotel.i hope come monday your left satisfied..

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Clair de Lune

Togi wrote: »
    What are you looking for ultimately? What would make you happy?
    MRBASS wrote: »
    some of the replys here a childish at best.when you see posts trying to claim"ah sure it only piss" (or words to that effect.)your dealing with some brain dead fools.,or just complete gob****es trying to share there opinion on something they have not a clue about.ive spoken to my friend here,she is a manager in a well known hotel,your experiance is something that no hotel guest should ever come across,it ticks many many health concern boxes,you should by right get a call from the manager come monday and im sure another stay in hotel or sister hotels will be on offer,but by all accounts dont mind anyone on here trying to make you look foolish claiming your over reacting OR you got your apology of the hotel what else do you want,maybe they dont mind lying in someones piss,its obvious you dont,its a major major deal for any hotel.i hope come monday your left satisfied..

Well tell us, what would constitute a satisfactory outcome of the OP's situation in your opinion? A cash settlement? The hotel being served a temporary closure order over health and safety concerns? Tell us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Graham wrote: »
    That sounds like a perfectly reasonable response on the part of the hotel. What are you expecting the hotel manager is going to do differently?

This. They've probably offered you the guts of €200 in all that. Not bad for what boils down to a forgotten or poorly performed housekeeping trip.

Mind you, I would expect them to understand you were a tad upset and wanted to just go home; and perhaps extend the offer in the future also.

• Advertisement

MRBASS wrote: »
    ive spoken to my friend here,she is a manager in a well known hotel,your experiance is something that no hotel guest should ever come across,it ticks many many health concern boxes,you should by right get a call from the manager come monday and im sure another stay in hotel or sister hotels will be on offer

So what you're saying is 'your friend the hotel manager' would expect the hotel to do exactly what they have already offered?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The OP has made no other comments about the hygiene of the hotel, so it might be fair to say that there were no other problems noticed. Absolutely, I would be damn well upset if I found myself in a similar situation, but accidents do happen (see what I did there ;) ) and as long as the hotel staff were willing to recognize the problem, apologise for the ordeal and offer the upgrades we know they offered, then that would be seen as reasonable. The very most I would expect in addition to what was offered, would be for the bill to be thrown out and a call from the manager to reiterate the apology already made. IOW, I would want to know that the manager was informed.

The OP seems to want the hotel to be punished for what is an embarrassing event, but one that the staff were very responsive to. The fact that the staff member was "mortified" would at least suggest that the situation was not a common one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Pregnant or not it's not nice getting into a wet from urine bed.

The hotel acknowledged this and tried to make amends which you didn't want to accept. I am not sure what more they can do.

In defence of the housekeeping staff the previous occupant (aka pee wee) may have removed the wet sheet which would have gone straight into their basket (not noticing it was wet). Housekeeper could very easily have put new sheet on without noticing mattress was wet (may have soaked down) and when the op got into the bed the weight of human on the mattress would have soaked the urine up.

OP what exactly are you looking for??????????
    Me, I would have either taken all was offered by the hotel, or took a full refund and gone home.

Just in case.. don't name and shame the hotel. They did everything they could for what was an unfortunate and quite easy mistake to make. They went above and beyond to try and make things better for you.

Last few hotels stays I enjoyed I did notice what I consider to be a new development on check out day
    When hubby and I returned from brekkie to our room to clean our teeth and get our bags etc on check out day, our room had already been "done" for the next guests
    I actually mentioned to the receptionist at checkout that we had used the bathroom again but she seemed uninterested
    If we'd had a small child with us, that child could have had an "accident " on the bed
    Hell! I could have had an accident on the bed and not bothered saying anything only for the next guest to get an unpleasant welcome as did the OP
    Hotels need to go back to housekeeping only when guests have fully checked out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

davo10 wrote: »
    Opportunity missed. A lot of upgrades are received when hotels/airlines/restaurants make mistakes.

How is it an opportunity missed? what else do you think they should have been offered?
    or is it just that the OP didnt take them up on that offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

A couple of obvious questions;

Was there a smell of urine? You would usually get that as soon as you entered the room and most definitely when you got into bed.

Was the bed (and room) otherwise made up?

Did you ask for (or did the manager offer) an explanation? E.g when was the room last occupied and when last serviced? The hotel would have that info at their fingertips and would have checked it immediately.

Did the hotel accept your story, verify it and accept liability?

Are you 100% sure you were not responsible?

As regards redress, the time to sort it was there and then. If you intend taking it further, I think you would need some recorded evidence. Its a very serious issue so in fairness to everyone it deserves to be handled thoroughly and properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

cerastes wrote: »
    How is it an opportunity missed? what else do you think they should have been offered?
    or is it just that the OP didnt take them up on that offer?

Op didn't take the offer, sounds like a nice upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Worst hotel room I stayed in was a luxury suite with a jacuzzi. Turned on the jacuzzi and hundreds of cockroaches filled the tub. I rang down and complained about a slight insect problem. They came up and sprayed it full of chemical death. Then removed several buckets of dead bastards.

Afterwards I enjoyed a long soak in a cockroach free tub although squashed multiple with my bare feet on the way back to the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Just in case.. don't name and shame the hotel. They did everything they could for what was an unfortunate and quite easy mistake to make. They went above and beyond to try and make things better for you.

Agreed. I would understand name and shame if they were obnoxious about it, but decent ,genuine, helpful staff like that don't deserve to be dragged through the dirt.

• Advertisement

sheep? wrote: »
    Damn, I missed that, link?

The OP flat out refused the compensation offered
    That, combined with the request for advice here, would suggest that they consider the compensation offered insufficient, and expect a more substantial offer from a higher order on Monday
    I'm quite certain the OP genuinely feels she has had a terrible experience, that the hotel is responsible for her trauma
    and that she has a ballpark figure in her head that she feels is appropriate to alleviate her feelings of victimhood
    She also has a desire to bring a 3rd party, a Omdurman if you will, into the mix to punish and fix the hotel so as to ensure that no one ever had to suffer as she has again at the hands of these unfeeling monsters
    Having been pregnant myself one I know how easy it is to get things out of proportion, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't be pulled up on your nonsense
    Actually I used to be grateful when anyone did

The OP flat out refused the compensation offered
    That, combined with the request for advice here, would suggest that they consider the compensation offered insufficient, and expect a more substantial offer from a higher order on Monday

Giving the benefit of the doubt it's just as likely that the OP hasn't really considered what they would like to happen.

Does anyone remember a thread in AH god knows how long ago about a guy ****ting himself in a hotel on a wedding night or something?

Female poster I believe, the guy slept in her toilet I think. **** caked into the carpet.
    That was notorious. He seemed to have had some terrible constipation issue which corrected itself in an explosive manner akin to the NYE fireworks display at Canary Wharf!
    Not funny though for the bride and groom or the hotel staff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The OP hasnt said what she thinks and external agency will do for her.

The manager on duty offered a substantial apology which she turned down, I'm not sure what more she expects the General Manager to do for her.

External agencies include Bord Failte, the AA if they awarded them stars.
    Environmental Health Officer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

I'm quite certain the OP genuinely feels she has had a terrible experience, that the hotel is responsible for her trauma
    and that she has a ballpark figure in her head that she feels is appropriate to alleviate her feelings of victimhood

That's cool. I'm quite certain that the OP wants to know if there is an external body she can go to regarding the pee in her hotel bed. Don't remember her saying anything about money or feelings of victimhood.

(There was a bit about whale semen though, may have distracted me).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Well tell us, what would constitute a satisfactory outcome of the OP's situation in your opinion? A cash settlement? The hotel being served a temporary closure order over health and safety concerns? Tell us.

Maybe if you hadn't jumped in with the gags and assumptions on the amount of compo the OP wanted, she might have come back to explain what she wanted. I don't blame her for abandoning ship here.

I don't agree with the OP but the question was simple enough. Is there a body to whom a situation like this may be reported? She never mentioned redress or compensation - you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

Not a lot more the hotel can do for you op, the hotel is at the mercy here of the employee who cleans the room, it sounds for all intents and purposes like it was done deliberately.

Is the hotel at fault - of course they are as they are responsible for the employee but really the duty manager could not have done any more at the time and I am sure any deposits etc you had paid were refunded or will be refunded.

You could report this to the local health board I would guess, not sure how seriously they would take it but I honestly do not see why you would, the only basis for reporting it would be if the hotel were not going to act on the incident. They will most certainly act on it and the person or persons dealing with the room that day will be disciplined and will lose their job I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The liquid could just as easily have been beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Whatever. The bed was wet. Totally disgraceful. Hotel should be begging for mercy at this stage. Appalling. Just wish OP would name and shame so I can avoid forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Whatever. The bed was wet. Totally disgraceful. Hotel should be begging for mercy at this stage. Appalling. Just wish OP would name and shame so I can avoid forever.

Did you read the full thread??? The duty manager was mortified (rightly so) and made good offer of repair to the op.

Me personally, I don't know why the op declined the offer/what more they are looking for

I am sure it was a one off and the hotel doesn't build their business on p1ssy beds, knowing their name will not help you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement