Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet urine in hotel bed !!!!!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Whatever. The bed was wet. Totally disgraceful. Hotel should be begging for mercy at this stage. Appalling. Just wish OP would name and shame so I can avoid forever.

You do realise this could happen anywhere ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Whatever. The bed was wet. Totally disgraceful. Hotel should be begging for mercy at this stage. Appalling. Just wish OP would name and shame so I can avoid forever.

Doing so would be potentially libelous and leave the op and boards open to legal action???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

A bit of an over reaction. It's not nice but even the best of hotels have issues like this sometimes. I think the duty manager made a fair offer. Not sure what they expect from the manager tbh or what relevance the OP being pregnant has.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'm assuming you're either over-dramatising just for effect or you've just opted out of pretty much every hotel that ever had guests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Deep Six

Why do you feel the need to report it to an "external" body? That's the same as having a fly land on your food in McDonald's and reporting them to the FSA. You informed the manager who offered you an acceptable option as recourse and you rebuffed him. You sound out for blood to me tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

amdublin wrote: »
    Did you read the full thread??? The duty manager was mortified (rightly so) and made good offer of repair to the op.

Me personally, I don't know why the op declined the offer/what more they are looking for

I am sure it was a one off and the hotel doesn't build their business on p1ssy beds, knowing their name will not help you.
    Come on. I've stayed in many many hotels and never had anything close to this happen. It's about as bad as you could get.
    Howjoe1 wrote: »
    Oh really? Never happened to me in years and years of staying in hotels.
    athtrasna wrote: »
    Doing so would be potentially libelous and leave the op and boards open to legal action???
    Only if OP was lying right?
    In the meantime lets just start a Prayer circle.

#neverforget
    Yes indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Graham wrote: »
    I'm assuming you're either over-dramatising just for effect or you've just opted out of pretty much every hotel that ever had guests.
    Never stayed in a hotel with a bed full of piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

First Up wrote: »
    A couple of obvious questions;

Was there a smell of urine? You would usually get that as soon as you entered the room and most definitely when you got into .

This.
    Some years ago my daughter and I were guests of another family in a self catering unit in a very well known all inclusive holiday centre in Cork
    As soon as the other woman turned the key in the door I was blown away by the overpowering all enveloping odour of stale piss
    The other mother mentioned it but it didn't seem to bother her, naturally as a guest I said nothing, until her own daughter ( our children were about12) started to cry, I think out of embarrassment in front of my child
    After admonishing her own child for being a fussy madam, or word to that effect, she contacted housekeeping
    I was fully expecting to be moved to another unit when they came
    It really was noxious
    But no, they changed the sheets on the offending bunk bed, sprayed with Febreeze and left
    May God forgive me, my mother was taken ill that night and my daughter and I went home on the train with such relief
    I will never forget that acrid ammonia smell

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Howjoe1 wrote:

Only if there was a total systems failure. A careless room cleaner/maid would not be enough to allow that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Well you know what. After this episode this hotel is probably the safest hotel to stay in to avoid having to get in a wet bed.

• Advertisement

How lucky you've been. It's not a unique occurrence, this particular hotel/OP were unlucky it wasn't spotted beforehand in this instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Only if there was a total systems failure. A careless room cleaner/maid would not be enough to allow that happen.

A careless cleaner would be exactly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Come on. I've stayed in many many hotels and never had anything close to this happen. It's about as bad as you could get.
    I'd say finding a poo on the bed would be worse, among other things. So it's not as bad as it gets.

Ooh look at you and your 'standards'. :rolleyes:

Do you think housekeeping should do a touch-test over every inch of the mattress, flip it over and touch-test the other side?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - stay civil and offer helpful advice. Anything else will incur mod action.

*mutter.. Can't a mod go out for dinner without a thread turning to puerile sh*te*

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Like most here I think the hotel offered to repair the OP's offence to getting into a wet bed - and I agree it's pretty disgusting. Personally I would have taken the free meal and the upgrade and enjoyed a plushier stay but I do find that we are very slow about complaining in this country, in general, and it is not much to expect a good standard of cleanliness in a hotel ( they can be expensive to stay in) and if the OP is looking for more than was offered in the managers absence that is their right ( doesn't mean that will placate them)

When booking out of a hotel once in the south of England I casually mentioned (just to draw attention to the fact) that there was a dripping tap which made a weird whistling noise on and off through the night - the receptionist apologised and gave me a full refund for my stay - I wasn't really complaining, just pointing it out -

On the other hand I have stayed in hotels, which had poor food or something else which made my stay less enjoyable and when relaying this on check out - the receptionists just shrugged or offered a weak apology - nothing else - though I wouldn't return there.

I'm not saying the OP's hotel went above and beyond but at least they took her complaint seriously and offered an upgrade.

A careless cleaner would be exactly enough

Standard practice after a check out is to change the bed linen as well as an overall clean up of the room.

Presumably the previous occupant used the bed so for a wet bed to await the OP, it would need the room cleaner to have just straightened the sheets a bed that were visibly stained and probably stinking.

That's more than careless.

Standard practice after a check out is to change the bed linen as well as an overall clean up of the room.

Presumably the previous occupant used the bed so for a wet bed to await the OP, it would need the room cleaner to have just straightened the sheets a bed that were visibly stained and probably stinking.

That's more than careless.

I've posted how it could happen:
    amdublin wrote: »
    Pregnant or not it's not nice getting into a wet from urine bed.

The hotel acknowledged this and tried to make amends which you didn't want to accept. I am not sure what more they can do.

In defence of the housekeeping staff the previous occupant (aka pee wee) may have removed the wet sheet which would have gone straight into their basket (not noticing it was wet). Housekeeper could very easily have put new sheet on without noticing mattress was wet (may have soaked down) and when the op got into the bed the weight of human on the mattress would have soaked the urine up.

OP what exactly are you looking for??????????
    Me, I would have either taken all was offered by the hotel, or took a full refund and gone home.

I worked in hotels/housekeeping when I was a teenager. A manager checks the room after the first housekeeper (well in 4/5 star they do).

But something like this might be missed i.e. the checker just checks has the bed been made - the most they might do is flick the quilt back to check a new sheet is on the bed and no pubes are present (seriously). If the urine had soaked down it would not be visible at this point and might only become evident when someone gets in the bed.

amdublin wrote:
    I've posted how it could happen:

Where would the previous occupant have put the sheet?

And if a housekeeper finds a bed without a bottom sheet, would their curiosity not be aroused enough to check the bed?

And if a housekeeper finds a bed without a bottom sheet, would their curiosity not be aroused enough to check the bed?

Sorry, I thought that would be completely clear from my post but may not have been. I used to find sheets removed from beds all the time - bundled on the floor, bundled in the bath. Wherever they were they just got bundled into my trolley - you are whizzing through the room. Being off the bed didn't arouse any curiosity tbh

You'd also find quilts on the floor etc.

I am not talking about a bottom sheet (I,e in between the mattress and the divan.) I am just talking about the flat sheet for the mattress.

Technically the previous op could even have flipped over the mattress :eek:
    Thus the housekeeper would put sheet on - bed would be completely dry to sight and even to light touch.
    When the pregnant lady got into the bed the urine would have soaked up.

This is likely what happened!!!

• Advertisement

If you were the previous occupant trying to avoid a deep-cleaning charge for soiling the mattress you'd probably flip it over dry the sheet and throw it back loosely on the bed. Nothing to see/feel until the next occupant puts weight on the mattress.

Graham wrote: »
    If you were the previous occupant trying to avoid a deep-cleaning charge for soiling the mattress you'd probably flip it over dry the sheet and throw it back loosely on the bed. Nothing to see/feel until the next occupant puts weight on the mattress.

Yes this makes even more sense.

I am sure the hotel will identify this also and put additional checks and controls in to ensure it doesn't happen again.

OP can you see how this might have happened? And how the hotels offer of repair was relatively fair? What more are you looking for here?

amdublin wrote:
    This is likely what happened!!!

Only if nobody involved in housekeeping has a sense of smell.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

About 10 years ago myself and 'er indoors headed to Galway for the weekend with the young baby. Stayed in a nice place on Taylor Hill.
    Anyhow, when we went to get into bed that night, we noticed the bed was wet. Told the reception desk but we said that as there was another double in the room and the baby was already asleep, they could change the mattress the following day.
    The following day we arrived back from shopping or whatever and found a new mattress and a basket of fruit which I thought was a nice gesture.
    However, the two or three strawberries in the basket were visibly covered in mould. There was no way that it couldn't have been spotted by whomever put it in the room.
    Upon checking out, I was asked the usual questions about how our stay was. I mentioned the mattress and the subsequent mouldy fruit gesture. There wasn't an ounce of concern from the girl at the desk which I thought was strange. Around that point the manager who had been on duty the first night stuck his head out from a back office, watched the end of the conversation and walked back into the office.
    What can you do? If they don't care, they don't care! Don't ask me how they managed to get four stars!

Only if nobody involved in housekeeping has a sense of smell.

Well you could say that about the op and hubby also... ;)

Imo if a child pees in the bed it tends to be stinky. When an adult does it, it tends to be diluted by a lot of beer :rolleyes: and tends not to smell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement