Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to Conceive 2016 onwards Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Scousemouse83

geez wrote: »
    We aren't dtd enough either my oh doesn't always find it easy with the added pressure def not mentioning a word this month!!

Yeah mine didn't like that aspect either plus he was wrecked and full of a cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Ruailebuile

Yeah mine didn't like that aspect either plus he was wrecked and full of a cold!

Yeah it's a lot of pressure on both sides really, I'm going to try and relax this month too and just dtd frequently but not on a schedule.

Yeah it's a lot of pressure on both sides really, I'm going to try and relax this month too and just dtd frequently but not on a schedule.

Yep definitely agree. Tough all round. Going to do the same here. Oh thinks everything, i.e reflexology/homeopathic approaches are not needed until we've been trying for a good while. Hard to know what to do.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My hubby didn't react too well to the pressure either. Seeing as my cycles are so long and I can't predict when I'm going to ovulate, we had a chat and decided to just do the no pants dance every second day regardless, and then if I do ovulate suddenly, we won't miss it. Also it means less pressure on the OH cos he won't know if I'm ovulating or not.

Toots wrote: »
    My hubby didn't react too well to the pressure either. Seeing as my cycles are so long and I can't predict when I'm going to ovulate, we had a chat and decided to just do the no pants dance every second day regardless, and then if I do ovulate suddenly, we won't miss it. Also it means less pressure on the OH cos he won't know if I'm ovulating or not.

That's a fab approach, we can't due to shifts dtd every other day. Have to come up with an alternative solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭geez

My oh also thinks I'm freaking out and should stop suggesting acupucture etc even though I have endo thinks it will happen when the time is right but it's soooo hard! We are all great!

My oh also thinks I'm freaking out and should stop suggesting acupucture etc even though I have endo thinks it will happen when the time is right but it's soooo hard! We are all great!

Yep mines the same, wants to relax for a few more months, but I'd rather get the ball rolling with homeopathic treatments as I can start now!

Yep mines the same, wants to relax for a few more months, but I'd rather get the ball rolling with homeopathic treatments as I can start now!

Mine OH was pretty relaxed too at the start (and sure it would happen pretty quickly) but then last month started to take it more seriously and then was very willing to go further. I find it great to be able to discuss things here so I don't have to be constantly talking to him about what we should do.

I think acupuncture or any alternative therapy is a great idea even for overall well being. I looked into them but the cost put me off as I just don't have to money to invest in it at the moment as they all seem to recommend a course of a few months.

• Advertisement

Mine OH was pretty relaxed too at the start (and sure it would happen pretty quickly) but then last month started to take it more seriously and then was very willing to go further. I find it great to be able to discuss things here so I don't have to be constantly talking to him about what we should do.

That's great you are both on the same page. I'm sure mine will be once I'm more regular after coming off contraception. It's so fab as with Google you sometimes feel like your going mad, plus not telling my friends means you could be talking about it endlessly with the hubby's

That's great you are both on the same page. I'm sure mine will be once I'm more regular after coming off contraception. It's so fab as with Google you sometimes feel like your going mad, plus not telling my friends means you could be talking about it endlessly with the hubby's

Exactly! And they need to conserve some energy for other stuff!!

Exactly! And they need to conserve some energy for other stuff!!

Definitely needed for much better things! All so expensive and stressful! But be worth it!!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I think acupuncture or any alternative therapy is a great idea even for overall well being. I looked into them but the cost put me off as I just don't have to money to invest in it at the moment as they all seem to recommend a course of a few months.

That's exactly my problem. Most accupuncturists I looked at were about €50-€60 a pop, and if you're going once a week for 3 months that really adds up. My health insurance doesn't give any refunds for those sorts of treatments, and even if it did with day-to-day stuff, you can't claim back until the end of the policy year. Honestly, if I had a spare few grand, I'd get a personal trainer and lots of accupuncture and see how that goes.

That's exactly my problem. Most accupuncturists I looked at were about €50-€60 a pop, and if you're going once a week for 3 months that really adds up. My health insurance doesn't give any refunds for those sorts of treatments, and even if it did with day-to-day stuff, you can't claim back until the end of the policy year. Honestly, if I had a spare few grand, I'd get a personal trainer and lots of accupuncture and see how that goes.

It's all money, I'm not covered re health insurance for another 5 months so I'll be waiting re investigations until then. Reflexology or acupuncture will definitely only be once a month! Couldn't afford anymore.

Sure even the feckin ovulation and pregnancy tests cost a bomb! Those clear blue ones that show your 4 most fertile days are about €50!

• Advertisement

Sure even the feckin ovulation and pregnancy tests cost a bomb! Those clear blue ones that show your 4 most fertile days are about €50!

I'll use them again this month as there on sale but after this I'll be using tesco or cheaper ones! Plus vitamins and other bits and bobs

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭apple26

So after a 39 day cycle my period finally arrived. Just glad to know we can start over again this month. I'm gonna start using the OPK as soon as my period ends as my cycle seems to be all over the place and I want to make sure we don't miss Ovulation this month. I've been using the Tesco own-brand ones, they're not too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CityGirl11

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with PCOS last year after my periods stopped, I have just finished my 1st cycle of Clomid which didn't work :(. Even though I am not long TTC I find it all very stressful and upsetting, while my husband just thinks im over-reacting, Im just wondering if any1 knows of any support groups or meetings in the Dublin area. I know I would find it very helpful to talk to others in a similar situation and hear other's success stories, thanks in advance

CityGirl11 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with PCOS last year after my periods stopped, I have just finished my 1st cycle of Clomid which didn't work :(. Even though I am not long TTC I find it all very stressful and upsetting, while my husband just thinks im over-reacting, Im just wondering if any1 knows of any support groups or meetings in the Dublin area. I know I would find it very helpful to talk to others in a similar situation and hear other's success stories, thanks in advance

I don't know of any support groups but here is s great place to start. I find everyone on here very kind, caring and understanding of the highs and lows. It's important to be able to ask questions and vent when required and some great advice is available.

Thank you for your reply. Its great to have these boards to talk to people in similar situations but is hard to believe that for such a common condition there isnt a lot of support out there and its not something you can just discuss with friends if there not in the same situation.

The best advice I can give to anyone is to seek medical advice as soon as you discover theres a problem. From going to my GP for initial blood tests to getting referred a fertility consultant in the Rotunda and starting Clomid was approx. 3 months.

I would appreciate in hearing peoples experience with Clomid and does any1 know the next step if it doesnt work after a few months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

CityGirl11 wrote:
    I would appreciate in hearing peoples experience with Clomid and does any1 know the next step if it doesnt work after a few months

Citygirl I'm sorry you are going through a tough time at the minute. Discussing anything like this with friends is very difficult - I totally understand where you are coming from there.

Me and my partner have had a few major obstacles while trying to conceive. I have always had issues with recurring cysts on my right ovary. We started trying to conveive in 2014 and did get pregnant but unfortunately had a miscarriage. Then after having a cyst removed I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer - caught very early so I was lucky. Before chemo we attended rotunda ivf to freeze some eggs. So I know the clinic well. It's a lovely clinic. I guess I'm just sharing all this because I know how hard it can be having issues conveiving.

I'm sorry - I don't know anything about Clomid but there is a thread for long termers trying to conceive. I don't know how to link it but try searching that. The girls on there have been through nearly everything and always have loads of advice.

Hi dreamstar, thank you for your reply. I'm sorry to hear about your MC and all you have gone through.
    I suppose I didn't know what thread I fitted into cos I haven't been trying to conceive very long but I will have a look for that thread thank u.
    I wish you all the best with everything:)

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Citygirl, you'd be welcome over on the long term thread. Its only a name but its really a thread for us that know we have an infertility issue, whether we found it out after a year of no success, or knew all along. It's where we can discuss investigations, share our experiences of medications,and our tough days. You are welcome to post on whatever thread you feel most comfortable on. :)

I've had two rounds of clomid - the first was for 3 months, and it worked on the 3rd round. Theee years later I did another 3 months worth, but no success unfortunately. I'm currently on Menopur+Ovitrelle, which is similar to clomid, except its injections instead of tablets, and a hell of a lot more expensive! Though its similar to clomid, different women can respond to the same medications in different ways, so if clomid does not work for you, they may trial you on Menopur before moving you to IUI.

Hey all, still no Af or positive hpt. Wondering if my positive opk was wrong. Going to have go to the go now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Hi everyone,

Hey,

Below is a link to a thread on the TTC forum with support group. Mrs LCD is involved & finds it very good.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057571689

So this month we are follicle tracking and I was using the clearblue to tell me when I was ovulation. Had an ultrasound Fri no ovulation as only on day 10. Using my clearblue all the way through last week and the weekend. Back today day 13 and I have ovulated accrording to ultrasound! Clearblues are offically goung out the window

So this month we are follicle tracking and I was using the clearblue to tell me when I was ovulation. Had an ultrasound Fri no ovulation as only on day 10. Using my clearblue all the way through last week and the weekend. Back today day 13 and I have ovulated accrording to ultrasound! Clearblues are offically goung out the window

Was it the clear blue advanced? I'm wondering if mine were false positives!

Thanks Neyite, its good to hear a success story with Clomid and that there are options before IVF if it doesn't work. Im going to look for the other tread you mentioned.Best of luck to you on your second attempt

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

Wow shows how inaccurate they can be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

I got Day 3 bloods taken at GP. She phoned me up today to tell me they were normal. Great I said, can you call out the figures... and they included an FSH of 16.8!!!! I said, oh thats high and she said, she doesnt worry unless its in 30s- 40s!!!

It is a pure fluke that my issues were discovered so early!. I had high prolactin in a test in february and went to a gynaecologist straight away. Turns out my prolactin is fine. He suspected PCOS so wanted to test my ovarian reserve. Turned out I have premature ovarian failure, discovered by error nearly.

• Advertisement

Thanks Neyite, its good to hear a success story with Clomid and that there are options before IVF if it doesn't work. Im going to look for the other tread you mentioned.Best of luck to you on your second attempt

Hey, just read your other post about support groups, this forum is great for support and bouncing ideas. I haven't told friends were ttc so find it great for the unknown stuff.

Was it the clear blue advanced? I'm wondering if mine were false positives!

I was just using the digital one that shows two solid faces on the high fertile days. Because I thought I didn't ocular last month due to no smiles my gyn decided to track this cycle and see so I'm going to start temping I think they just don't work for me

I was just using the digital one that shows two solid faces on the high fertile days. Because I thought I didn't ocular last month due to no smiles my gyn decided to track this cycle and see so I'm going to start temping I think they just don't work for me

I find temping really great, & im 2 months into it now. I'm 5 dpo now & my temperature went from 36.17 on suspected day of ovulation to 36.58 to 36.86 it's a great way to see the shift in temp in the luteal phase.

I was using the other one with the flashing and solid ones. Think I'll have loads of questions for the gp. Poor woman!! Hope the temping goes well! Your gynea definitely had the right idea, very thorough

I find temping really great, & im 2 months into it now. I'm 5 dpo now & my temperature went from 36.17 on suspected day of ovulation to 36.58 to 36.86 it's a great way to see the shift in temp in the luteal phase.

Where did you get your thermometer starbright?

Where did you get your thermometer starbright?

I got it in Boots in Dundrum I think as that's quite a big Boots. (It's a boots brand) Some seem to have it and others don't but if you ask them at the prescriptions counter they can be sound & check stocks online in other Boots.

Hey,

Yeah I'm the same don't really talk about with friends and unless there n same situation, don't think they'd understand anyway.

As I mentioned n earlier post my first cycle of 25mg Clomid didn't work and my day 21 progesterone was less than 1! I have been trying to contact my consultant n the Rotunda Private since last Thursday!
    I'm sorry for ranting but as every1 knows the whole TTC is a waiting process every month so it's hard to have to wait 6 days to discuss the next steps -has any1 else experienced this problem?

God, good thing you found that out now before you wasted any more money on them. I'm using the digital ones and really hoped they are accurate but have my suspicions that they are hit and miss. I just got a thermometer so even though I'm late starting in doing to temp to try build a pattern and hopefully eliminate the need for those expensive opk's.

Hey all, still no Af or positive hpt. Wondering if my positive opk was wrong. Going to have go to the go now!!

That's so frustrating, is it due to the implant removal? Will it take a while for your cycles to settle? Definitely right to check in with the gp for some reassurance.

• Advertisement

That's so frustrating, is it due to the implant removal? Will it take a while for your cycles to settle? Definitely right to check in with the gp for some reassurance.

The information regarding it is hit and miss, do just going to ask for bloods and reassurance it's not a pregnancy if I was to take agnus cacti, or what to do in general!

I was using the other one with the flashing and solid ones. Think I'll have loads of questions for the gp. Poor woman!! Hope the temping goes well! Your gynea definitely had the right idea, very thorough

Ya I have endometriosis though so that's why we are pressing on! I would def just ask the doc to run a set of bloods always a good starting point and they seem to give alot of info!

Ya I have endometriosis though so that's why we are pressing on! I would def just ask the doc to run a set of bloods always a good starting point and they seem to give alot of info!

Yep I'll be there bright and early to get bloods done! Fingers crossed its something very simple, I've had 2 laparoscopy sin the past but no problems since so hope it's just the implanon being removed that's upset my cycle

Hey,

Yeah I'm the same don't really talk about with friends and unless there n same situation, don't think they'd understand anyway.

As I mentioned n earlier post my first cycle of 25mg Clomid didn't work and my day 21 progesterone was less than 1! I have been trying to contact my consultant n the Rotunda Private since last Thursday!
    I'm sorry for ranting but as every1 knows the whole TTC is a waiting process every month so it's hard to have to wait 6 days to discuss the next steps -has any1 else experienced this problem?

It's a tough process especially as the extra pressure of people knowing isn't helpful. Does your consultant have a public clinic? As you could try ringing that and find out if they are off on hols. Or ring the switch board and ask for the dr's secretary public or private just to see if they are off?

Yeah I tried ringing the general clinic number on Thursday and was told to ring Dr's secretary on Monday morning. I have started second round of provera again so fingers crossed at least I ovulate this month.

Was just reading previous posts on OPK and It's hard to know how reliable they are and all the stress they add to the month, after 7days of flashing smiley face last month I stopped testing

Yeah I tried ringing the general clinic number on Thursday and was told to ring Dr's secretary on Monday morning. I have started second round of provera again so fingers crossed at least I ovulate this month.

Was just reading previous posts on OPK and It's hard to know how reliable they are and all the stress they add to the month, after 7days of flashing smiley face last month I stopped testing

They can be a nightmare to get hold of and lots take these weeks off.
    I'm definitely doubting them which would be annoying as I found them easy to use.
    Fingers crossed indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Molly1983

Hey,

Hey I was on clomid 50 mg for the first month and like you I didn't ovulate on that cycle. The dr then increased my dose to 75mg and I ovulated on that dose but didn't not get bfp on 5 mths of clomid. One laparoscopy, h and c and a cycle of fermara has resulted in me being 13 weeks pregnant so don't give up hope yet! If u want to pm me the name of your gynaecologist in the rotunda to see is it's the same as mine. I have the email address for mine as I found she replied quicker to emails than phone calls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Just popping in to say that I have a pack of one step ovulation strips (15 strips) left if anyone wants them. Just send me a pm with your address and I'll send them off to you today.

Molly1983 wrote: »
    Hey,

Hey I was on clomid 50 mg for the first month and like you I didn't ovulate on that cycle. The dr then increased my dose to 75mg and I ovulated on that dose but didn't not get bfp on 5 mths of clomid. One laparoscopy, h and c and a cycle of fermara has resulted in me being 13 weeks pregnant so don't give up hope yet! If u want to pm me the name of your gynaecologist in the rotunda to see is it's the same as mine. I have the email address for mine as I found she replied quicker to emails than phone calls
    Add your reply here.
    Hi, ah massive congrats to you on your pregnancy after all you have been through. It's so nice to hear success stories and to hear that even if clomid doesn't work there are other options. I just want everytn to happen straight away so I think I just need to relax and take one step at a time.
    My consultant was out yesterday so is ringing me today to discuss result and I was able to make an appointment for next month as well. I too find i get a quicker response when I email his secretary

Hey
    Heading to the go tomorrow for bloods. 21dpo today well in the clear blue opk was right. Another negative hpt. So confused.

Hey
    Heading to the go tomorrow for bloods. 21dpo today well in the clear blue opk was right. Another negative hpt. So confused.

• Advertisement
Advertisement