Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to Conceive 2016 onwards Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭Meubles

I got some happy news today that we are expecting again. I had a miscarriage in October and I'm quite shocked to be honest as it took a year to get pregnant that time. Honestly I'm feeling a lot of conflicting emotions as I'm so terrified of it going wrong. Just need to try and stay positive I guess! I should have known my insane mood swings were a sign...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Meubles wrote: »
    I got some happy news today that we are expecting again. I had a miscarriage in October and I'm quite shocked to be honest as it took a year to get pregnant that time. Honestly I'm feeling a lot of conflicting emotions as I'm so terrified of it going wrong. Just need to try and stay positive I guess! I should have known my insane mood swings were a sign...

Oh congratulations!!! I miscarried a week or two before you (end of Sept) I think. I really hoped to get pregnant soon after but my cycle has taken a while to regulate. My period took 6 weeks to come back, but lasted 6 days (I am usually a 3 dayer) then I got it again two weeks later. I should hopefully ovulate this week so am going to spend my evenings (and days!) wisely!

Really great news for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

Everybody else loving all the 'Any news?' Questions and queries about babies that every single person has at christmas?

Nerd Queen wrote: »
    Everybody else loving all the 'Any news?' Questions and queries about babies that every single person has at christmas?

I have made sure to slip wine into every conversation and Facebook status!!! I find that my family (okay maybe just our parents!) are like sniffer dogs since the miscarriage. They now know we were trying so are on the edge of their seats waiting for an announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

I have made sure to slip wine into every conversation and Facebook status!!! I find that my family (okay maybe just our parents!) are like sniffer dogs since the miscarriage. They now know we were trying so are on the edge of their seats waiting for an announcement.

Ah stop its neverending! Not even from family! Immediate family is ok but everyone else is constantly asking and when you say no they start asking you when you are going to be!!! Grrrrr like Im really going to answer and say well actually we have been trying for over a year, i have been diagnosed with pcos and a too tight pelvic floor which has required 8 months of physio so far and an osteopath's help to even get 70% resolved and that we are HOPING that the consultant even gives us the go ahead to try properly in March!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭babydream

Nerd Queen wrote: »
    Ah stop its neverending! Not even from family! Immediate family is ok but everyone else is constantly asking and when you say no they start asking you when you are going to be!!! Grrrrr like Im really going to answer and say well actually we have been trying for over a year, i have been diagnosed with pcos and a too tight pelvic floor which has required 8 months of physio so far and an osteopath's help to even get 70% resolved and that we are HOPING that the consultant even gives us the go ahead to try properly in March!

Maybe you should tell them they wont be long shutting up then!!! All I got this year was at dinner when asked do I want wine with a glint in her eye. So I drank the whole bottle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

Well AF arrived today , part of me is a little upset about it ,i guess because i always thought id be pregnant by now. I can't say that we overly tried this year, with moving and everything else , sometimes it just didnt happen around my fertile time. I think I'm just feeling sorry for myself everyone around me seems to be pregnant at the moment. Bring on 2017!

applesock wrote: »
    Well AF arrived today , part of me is a little upset about it ,i guess because i always thought id be pregnant by now. I can't say that we overly tried this year, with moving and everything else , sometimes it just didnt happen around my fertile time. I think I'm just feeling sorry for myself everyone around me seems to be pregnant at the moment. Bring on 2017!

2017 will be your year. New Year - New Baby :D

October is my favourite month, so I hope to have a little baby born then!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

I'm feeling positive for 2017! I'm going to start temping I think , I did it on and off for a while, but wasn't overly focused. The good thing that is my cycles seem to be back on track.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Roisin109

Hi Everyone!

I'm a newbie here but have been following all your stories for the last few weeks and I've finally got the balls to post my message! I've been with my partner 10 years and we've purchased our first home last year. I've been on birth control for nearly 10 years and stopped taking this in November 2016 as I'm ready for my little bambino to come along now! Ive spent the last 10 years doing everything I could NOT to get pregnant and now all of a sudden I'm praying I fall pregnant soon!! I haven't got a proper period yet since I came off pill 2 months ago. I'm so impatient and can't wait to get a period so I can start tracking!

thank you for sharing your stories! Good luck to everyone <3:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Clueless and absolutely terrified.
    I don't know whether I'm trying or trying not to
    I have agreed to do it but it's going to change everything.
    I don't like the not knowing. Like knowing exactly when I will get pregnant. That it could be weeks months or years or never
    In a bit of a panic- is there a thread for that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Hey everyone,

I have a quick question and was hoping you might be able to advise me.

Period is two days late, unheard of for me, it's always on time to within a few hours. Ive done euro shop strip tests which got me a positive within hours of late period and not with first pee of the day when I was pregnant with my son, but they're negative this morning.

Obviously I've to just wait and see if my period turns up in the next few days but are there any tests you'd recommend trying? I used a Clearblue digital last time after the faint positive on strip test and got a quick result, but I think they're less sensitive than the strip tests aren't they so there's no point trying that?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Hey everyone,

I have a quick question and was hoping you might be able to advise me.

Period is two days late, unheard of for me, it's always on time to within a few hours. Ive done euro shop strip tests which got me a positive within hours of late period and not with first pee of the day when I was pregnant with my son, but they're negative this morning.

Obviously I've to just wait and see if my period turns up in the next few days but are there any tests you'd recommend trying? I used a Clearblue digital last time after the faint positive on strip test and got a quick result, but I think they're less sensitive than the strip tests aren't they so there's no point trying that?

First response are the most sensitive. I wouldn't go for Clearblue yet as they are less sensitive as you said.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

First Response are generally considered the most sensitive on the market so try those. No point in wasting a digital.

Yes Neyite I hate to waste money on tests!! Thanks.

Yes Neyite I hate to waste money on tests!! Thanks.

Me too!

And should I wait until tomorrow morning to try that one if I get it?

And should I wait until tomorrow morning to try that one if I get it?

Well technically since your period is late you should be able to use it at any time of the day. First morning urine is definitely recommended before your period is due. I'd be tempted to hold your pee for 4-5 hours and do the first response today.

Ps if you are trying I'd buy tests online if this isn't your month.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's my plan long term, weren't specifically trying so hadn't ordered them yet!

Yeah that's my plan long term, weren't specifically trying so hadn't ordered them yet!

Good luck!

Got a positive result and then got cramps and a bleed soon after. Bleeding stopped again but still have a dull ache, so I'm assuming it's not good, will wait and see.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Ah God. I hope everything goes ok :(

Thanks toots! Time will tell I guess, I think it's too early to bother calling gp etc.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If it would help you at all I'd give them a ring. They may refer you into the early pregnancy unit of your local hospital or something. It might be too early for any sort of scans, but I think bloods at this stage would give an indication of whether or not the pregnancy was progressing ie they'd take blood today, check hormone levels, and then test again in a day or so. Not sure if they'd be willing to do it, but it mightn't hurt to ask, if it would ease your mind at all.

Got a positive result and then got cramps and a bleed soon after. Bleeding stopped again but still have a dull ache, so I'm assuming it's not good, will wait and see.

Aw spotty I'm so sorry. Really hope all is ok. The gp can't do anything but I would definitely register the fact you had a positive result no matter what happens.

More bleeding so there's the answer I guess! Irritating timing, after the one positive test.

Thanks everyone. I can't complain, we conceived first month with our son and first month again now, it would've been a bit too lucky if it had stuck!

I wonder is the fact that it didn't show on strip tests and only on First Response when I was already late a sign that it wasn't a strong "sticky" positive to begin with. I'll know for again!

• Advertisement

Was the First Response test a digital one? I used a two pack of cheapie dip tests (Dealz or something) in October and got faint positives so got a Clear Blue digital one that was "not pregnant". I got my period a day later. I reckon they were false positives as opposed to a super early miscarriage. I had actually had a miscarriage the month before so false positives were even more difficult. I think if I get another positive test I will follow it up with a digital one.

Edit- I actually bled the day before, not later! I thought it was an implantation bleed.

Was the First Response test a digital one? I used a two pack of cheapie dip tests (Dealz or something) in October and got faint positives so got a Clear Blue digital one that was "not pregnant". I got my period a day later. I reckon they were false positives as opposed to a super early miscarriage. I had actually had a miscarriage the month before so false positives were even more difficult. I think if I get another positive test I will follow it up with a digital one.

There is no such thing as a false positive unless you were on HCG for fertility treatment

No it wasn't digital. My period is never ever late and between that, the nature of this bleeding vs period and symptoms I know it wasn't a late period, was definitely a pregnancy.

There is no such thing as a false positive unless you were on HCG for fertility treatment

I miscarried about a month before and the doctor told me that my HCG would have gone right back down a day after I passed the last of the tissue. I don't understand how three tests could have been different then.

I miscarried about a month before and the doctor told me that my HCG would have gone right back down a day after I passed the last of the tissue. I don't understand how three tests could have been different then.

There is such a thing as a false negative so you didn't have enough HCG for the clearblue test to register the levels. Some of those cheapies are super sensitive so the chances are they picked up a low level of HCG. The clear blue digitals aren't as sensitive. I always waited for a few days after my period was due to use the digital. First Response is one of the most sensitive out there so can detect earlier.

Sorry for your loss.

Good to know! I use the internet cheap strips usually but had used them all confirming my pregnancy the month before :rolleyes: We have continued trying for a baby since the miscarriage but it is just not happening. I used the ovulation sticks properly last month and we had sex the day after I noticed a surge but then I was away so we only had that one shot. I was sure it had to have worked so was pretty disappointed when it didn't. I had a tiny little cry. I got pregnant 2 months after trying last year so I just presumed it would happen as quick after the miscarriage. And the weeks between having your period and ovulation are soooooo long!

• Advertisement

Good to know! I use the internet cheap strips usually but had used them all confirming my pregnancy the month before :rolleyes: We have continued trying for a baby since the miscarriage but it is just not happening. I used the ovulation sticks properly last month and we had sex the day after I noticed a surge but then I was away so we only had that one shot. I was sure it had to have worked so was pretty disappointed when it didn't. I had a tiny little cry. I got pregnant 2 months after trying last year so I just presumed it would happen as quick after the miscarriage. And the weeks between having your period and ovulation are soooooo long!

I get it. So disappointing. Just checked these and apparently First Response can detect at 6ml of HCG and Clear Blue digital is 25ml. I bought online tests of around 10ml sensitivity as they were cheap. Got a negative at 12dpo and positive at 13dpo but everyone's HCG levels are different. Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Hey girls, hope ya don't mind me joining. Trying since our wedding the start of November. Stopped pill 2weeks before, conceived after the 1st cycle but miscarried at 8weeks mid January :( Decided to try straight away. Got period last Thursday when I would have been 12wks. Had irregular smears/colposcopy since after having my son 2.5 yrs ago & had an appointment Tuesday for another colposcopy & biopsy (cancelled previous in December as I had a feeling I was pregnant), she suggested waiting 6 weeks for results in case I need lletz treatment but said from what she can see it looks cin1 so I'm thinking that we'll continue trying cos waiting 6 weeks will rule out 2 more cycles which is so long! Wishing everyone here lots of sticky baby dust x

Hi all, haven't posted in so long! So we have had no such luck conceiving :( Hadnt been feeling well the last month or so, went to the doctor and turns out I have a cyst on my right ovary, so now have to go have a scan done. Had bloods done last week and still waiting on results. Really unsure if I want something to show up or not. Like if something does show up at least we know and can move onto fertility treatment if needed:confused: Just feeling so confused and down at the moment and the hubby is useless just keeps saying "Whats meant to be, wont pass you by" Ill throttle him yet :rolleyes:

babydream wrote: »
    Hi all, haven't posted in so long! So we have had no such luck conceiving :( Hadnt been feeling well the last month or so, went to the doctor and turns out I have a cyst on my right ovary, so now have to go have a scan done. Had bloods done last week and still waiting on results. Really unsure if I want something to show up or not. Like if something does show up at least we know and can move onto fertility treatment if needed:confused: Just feeling so confused and down at the moment and the hubby is useless just keeps saying "Whats meant to be, wont pass you by" Ill throttle him yet :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear you haven't been well. Hopefully the cyst is easily sorted, that can't be helping you to conceive. Hopefully once sorted you'll have good news x. Are you trying long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

duplicate

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear you haven't been well. Hopefully the cyst is easily sorted, that can't be helping you to conceive. Hopefully once sorted you'll have good news x. Are you trying long?

Were trying about 9 months now, really was naïve and thought it would have happened by now.

So I got the results of my bloods and everything is ok FSH levels are perfect for my age apparently. So hopefully this cyst can be sorted and this is our year ;)

babydream wrote: »
    Were trying about 9 months now, really was naïve and thought it would have happened by now.

So I got the results of my bloods and everything is ok FSH levels are perfect for my age apparently. So hopefully this cyst can be sorted and this is our year ;)

Fingers crossed, that's good news with your bloods :)

I am pregnant! Got a definite faint positive today! I took a test two days ago and there was a very very faint line I convinced myself was an evap line. Took one again this morning and the line is definitely there. My period is due tomorrow. I am going away to the sun this week so we didn't overly try this month (all inclusive holiday, wine and cocktails!) but sure here we are! I miscarried my first pregnancy at the end of September so am obviously petrified. Had a few moments of excitement and a 30 second cry and am now trying to stay quietly optimistic. The Rotunda told me last time that they would scan me at 8 weeks due to the miscarriage so I feel like I just have to stay positive for another 4 weeks.

I am pregnant! Got a definite faint positive today! I took a test two days ago and there was a very very faint line I convinced myself was an evap line. Took one again this morning and the line is definitely there. My period is due tomorrow. I am going away to the sun this week so we didn't overly try this month (all inclusive holiday, wine and cocktails!) but sure here we are! I miscarried my first pregnancy at the end of September so am obviously petrified. Had a few moments of excitement and a 30 second cry and am now trying to stay quietly optimistic. The Rotunda told me last time that they would scan me at 8 weeks due to the miscarriage so I feel like I just have to stay positive for another 4 weeks.

Ah Love in April im so delighted for you. Stay positive no reason this isn't your turn. Enjoy the holidays and relax will probably do you the world of good. People say it all the time its when you decide to take a break from TTC it happens :D

Well AF arrived for me at the weekend no surprise really:rolleyes: Anyway were taking a few months off now. Our diet hasn't been the best the last couple of months and were just going to concentrate on this for the next couple of months. Im actually kind of relieved not to be symptom spotting for a while anyway.

Hopefully we have a few more BFP over the next couple of months ;)

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Delighted for you LoveinApril :)

Thanks, women. I really did not think it would happen this month. I have no ovulation sticks and no ovulation symptoms (CM, etc) so I just have a vague idea of dates. We certainly weren't thinking "we have to do it today". I felt if I wasn't pregnant in January's ovulation, we would skip until March so I could have a boozy holiday. I much prefer this scenario!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

Congrats - everything crossed for you!

Great news loveinapril, wishing you a very happy healthy pregnancy! Enjoy you're holiday too:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

mollybird wrote: »
    Hey Ladies,
    Thought i would start up a fresh thread for the TTC group. One of the ladies mentioned it and thought it was a great idea. I am just freshly starting TTC for the first time this month and im very exctied. Here is hoping we have many BFP's and hope we can keep up the support for each other.

Wishing everyone the best of luck and sprinkling lots of "BABYDUST" to ye all :)

Mod Note:

This thread is intended for posters who are intending to embark on trying for their babies for the first time.

If you have been trying for over a year without success, or find yourself facing assisted conception treatment, you may find the Long Termers TTC thread more suitable instead.

Hi everyone
    We have just started ttc this year, I used an ovulation kit to check when I was ovulating and we tried every day in the lead up to the smiley face indicator and a few days after, I was sure we would conceive but I just got my period 2 days late and I'm crushed, has anyone got any advice, I know it's early days but it's very upsetting 😢

Congratulations Loveinapril! That's really fantastic news, hope you have a lovely relaxing holiday and a happy healthy pregnancy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement