Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to Conceive 2016 onwards Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Didn't have cramps just tender boobs and thick white discharge (sorry TMI!) yesterday. Plenty of baby dust to us!! X

Tested negative this morning. So it is just a matter of waiting for period to come now.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

Sorry to hear that. Its v disappointing when the negative result displays. Im still waiting but fairly certain it's on the way!

An it was only my first cycle trying and I didn't expect it but we did the deed 4 times during my fertile window lol :P

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Meathcat7

Think this is my first time posting in this forum.

Had my second mc at the end of April - ended in having to have a D&C in Rotunda. Have had two periods since then. I was so disappointed when I saw the last one arriving, I was so sure that another pregnancy was around the corner! I have a lot of risk factors though - I'm 45, high blood pressure and PCOS. I am in with my consultant on 31st July for the results of the fetal samples taken at the D&C so we'll see what she comes back with. She may put me on metformin to see if that helps.

Since the last mc, I am also obsessed with POAS, I can't help myself. I have to hold myself off from doing it too often. Thank god for the cheap ovulation strips from Dealz, that's all I can say! Otherwise I'd be broke!

• Advertisement

Welcome! Sorry about all that you faced but hopefully they'll find out something... I found myself getting obsessed with OPk's one month too so I decided to stop it and that was just me thinking it'd teach me more about my cycle cuz we weren't trying at that stage.

Welcome! Sorry about all that you faced but hopefully they'll find out something... I found myself getting obsessed with OPk's one month too so I decided to stop it and that was just me thinking it'd teach me more about my cycle cuz we weren't trying at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

I am in absolute shock. I am due period today but nothing yet. Sore boobs all week and pre period type pain. I chanced a first response test this morning and 2 very strong pink lines...a positive!!!
    I am going to get another test to be sure later on. I am actually trembling with shock writing this. My husband is out walking the dog so will tell him when he gets back.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Meathcat7

laylag wrote: »
    I am in absolute shock. I am due period today but nothing yet. Sore boobs all week and pre period type pain. I chanced a first response test this morning and 2 very strong pink lines...a positive!!!
    I am going to get another test to be sure later on. I am actually trembling with shock writing this. My husband is out walking the dog so will tell him when he gets back.

Fingers & toes crossed for you!!

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Congratulations!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Madam Oblong

Sims are offering free AMH checks if you register this week

Laylag, sounds like it is!! Keep us posted! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

I really don't understand how so many people seem to get pregnant accidentally. I mean if there is only a few days a month you can conceive, and they say you only have a 20% chance of getting pregnant each month, what are the odds of someone having unprotected sex as a one off and getting pregnant... yet it seems to happen so often. Sorry if this post is off topic or incorrect. I am still trying to get my head around the logistics of all this. Maybe a statistical approach to conceiving is the wrong way to approach it lol. But I suppose it just makes you question all the things that never crossed your mind before. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

phi3 wrote: »
    I really don't understand how so many people seem to get pregnant accidentally. I mean if there is only a few days a month you can conceive, and they say you only have a 20% chance of getting pregnant each month, what are the odds of someone having unprotected sex as a one off and getting pregnant... yet it seems to happen so often. Sorry if this post is off topic or incorrect. I am still trying to get my head around the logistics of all this. Maybe a statistical approach to conceiving is the wrong way to approach it lol. But I suppose it just makes you question all the things that never crossed your mind before. :o

Think of all the times people had a "one-off" and didn't get pregnant.... I'd say that definitely way outnumbers the "accidents"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

phi3 wrote:
    I really don't understand how so many people seem to get pregnant accidentally. I mean if there is only a few days a month you can conceive, and they say you only have a 20% chance of getting pregnant each month, what are the odds of someone having unprotected sex as a one off and getting pregnant... yet it seems to happen so often. Sorry if this post is off topic or incorrect. I am still trying to get my head around the logistics of all this. Maybe a statistical approach to conceiving is the wrong way to approach it lol. But I suppose it just makes you question all the things that never crossed your mind before.

And it usually is happening to people having regular sex. Not necessarily with the same person, but you are more likely to "get caught" having sex all through your cycle rather than just in fertile window....even 1 or 2 days can throw off timing ovulation right.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I have to admit that when my husband and I first moved in together (before we got married) I wasn't on the pill and we'd only use condoms if we were having sex in the middle of the month. Even at that, we were pretty careless about it, and never had any 'accidents'. We only were really fastidious about birth control once we'd booked the wedding and my dress was ordered because if I got pregnant it would have put a spanner in the works of wedding planning. But the fact that we'd been YEARS of being careless and never got pregnant, I was worried that we'd have trouble conceiving when the time came. We didn't the first time around, but for this pregnancy we were almost 2 years trying.

To be honest this would be my concern too because we have been together for over 10 years and never got pregnant by accident while few of my close friends got pregnant unintentionally. Somehow in saying that we were very careful never going for withdrawal method until last year and that's with avoiding fertile window. Before that we always used the pill or condom. I know it is easier said than done but perhaps the best way is not to think about it- believe me I know that is hard and we only started trying properly last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

To be honest this would be my concern too because we have been together for over 10 years and never got pregnant by accident/quote]

This was something I considered after I came off the pill last year. We were together 10 years and I was on the pill 14 years. I came off the pill and got pregnant 3 months after trying. That ended in miscarriage and I got pregnant 3 months after that (I am 6 months pregnant now!). I think I was just obviously very lucky with the pill. It can take a few months for all the stars to align so please don't worry. I was using ovulation sticks and we didn't really 'try' the month I got pregnant as I was heading away on holidays the following month. My own dates were off when I got scanned and I think I actually got pregnant about 6 days after ovulation. So I think loads of sex after ovulation is the trick!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I think just regular sex in general boosts your chances. It can be a lot of pressure to make sure you do it on the right days etc, and I found that the fun went out of it quite quickly. My cycles were so irregular it was difficult to figure out which days to be doing it at all, so what we ended up deciding was that if we just tried to have sex every second day we'd have a better chance of catching the right days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Toots wrote:
    so what we ended up deciding was that if we just tried to have sex every second day we'd have a better chance of catching the right days.

Great in theory but hard to put into practice when long term trying 1yr+ or issues like low sex drive/ painful sex are involved.

• Advertisement

That's true. It was difficult for us - we were nearly 2 years trying - but because my cycles were so irregular and ovulation sticks didn't work properly because of me having PCOS, it was pretty much the best chance we had.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

I hope everyone is doing well. I posted 4 weeks ago when I had an early miscarriage (5 weeks) so I'm wondering when will AF arrive? Pre-miscarriage I had a regular 28 day cycle but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced delays in their cycles or when should I expect my first period after a miscarriage?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

I hope everyone is doing well. I posted 4 weeks ago when I had an early miscarriage (5 weeks) so I'm wondering when will AF arrive? Pre-miscarriage I had a regular 28 day cycle but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced delays in their cycles or when should I expect my first period after a miscarriage?

I had a D&C after mine and AF arrived 6 weeks after that.

That's good to know, I figured it would be delayed while my body recovers. I'll just wait and see over the next few weeks.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I think mine were a week or so delayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

I returned to a 28day cycle after my 1st mc. No period after the 2nd mc but ovulated when I would have expected, due NYE. Hope you are doing ok x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

HI all, new around these parts. I've just started ttc (31). I had my bloods done about a year ago and my amh was 18.8 (I have no idea if this is good or bad).

There's a history of issues ttc in my family including my mother which took 7 years to conceive at a younger age than I currently am.

I've been on the pill for most of my adult life and came off it last October and have started taking folic acid. I've been tracking my cycles using P tracker and I'm usually bang on (apart from last month when I was a day late).

Currently tracking my cycle using the Clear Blue fertility monitor which has shown me 'high' since I started using it on day 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hermia

lunamoon wrote: »
    HI all, new around these parts. I've just started ttc (31). I had my bloods done about a year ago and my amh was 18.8 (I have no idea if this is good or bad).

There's a history of issues ttc in my family including my mother which took 7 years to conceive at a younger age than I currently am.

I've been on the pill for most of my adult life and came off it last October and have started taking folic acid. I've been tracking my cycles using P tracker and I'm usually bang on (apart from last month when I was a day late).

Currently tracking my cycle using the Clear Blue fertility monitor which has shown me 'high' since I started using it on day 5.

I could have written this! Same age as you, same kind of situation and have just started this month. Had my amh tested last year and it was low, think it was 10? But to be honest, I'm not worrying too much about that at the moment, it only lets you know about how many eggs you have left as far as I know, not the quality etc and sure you only need one lucky one! Been tracking etc but just got married so starting in earnest quietly now, I've no idea how it's gonna play out tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hermia

First month actively trying this month, we were away so I wasn't checking for ovulation but knew around and about when it was happening. Felt really weird the past week with nausea and back pain, period due tomorrow so wasn't sure if it was usual pms symptoms or not.... Took a pregnancy test this morning, negative and then got af about 2 hours later! Waste of a feckin test!

• Advertisement

Hermia wrote: »
    First month actively trying this month, we were away so I wasn't checking for ovulation but knew around and about when it was happening. Felt really weird the past week with nausea and back pain, period due tomorrow so wasn't sure if it was usual pms symptoms or not.... Took a pregnancy test this morning, negative and then got af about 2 hours later! Waste of a feckin test!

Oh how annoying, that's happened to me a few times and I always curse my timing!

Well I thought AF would come this morning but instead there's been it's been some dark spotting without the usual abdominal cramps. I had light spotting earlier in the week and I thought it would arrive today in full force so I'm getting a bit impatient :o

I'm usually very regular, I don't know how any of you hold your nerves if you have irregular cycles, it's so unpredictable! With the mc last month it's hard to tell when AF will arrive. I guess there is a possibility that I could have fallen pregnant but with my hopes coming to nought last month I'm being more pessimistic than usual.

If it doesn't arrive tomorrow or Monday then I may just chance a test, although I'll probably repeat Hermia's experience and waste a test just before AF arrives ;)

Advertisement