Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to Conceive 2016 onwards Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

lunamoon wrote: »
    HI all, new around these parts. I've just started ttc (31). I had my bloods done about a year ago and my amh was 18.8 (I have no idea if this is good or bad).

There's a history of issues ttc in my family including my mother which took 7 years to conceive at a younger age than I currently am.

I've been on the pill for most of my adult life and came off it last October and have started taking folic acid. I've been tracking my cycles using P tracker and I'm usually bang on (apart from last month when I was a day late).

Currently tracking my cycle using the Clear Blue fertility monitor which has shown me 'high' since I started using it on day 5.

AMH declines gradually with age but I think you fall into a 'satisfactory' grade.

I got 16 a few years back which correlated with my age range and the clinic thought it was fine. Optimal for them is 20 but they've seen successes (assisted and natural pregnancies) with much lower scores according to my nurse.

The AMH will test a hormone that's released, but contrary to popular belief, it doesn't tell you how many eggs you have or the quality of those eggs. So a woman might have a brilliant AMH score, but poor quality eggs, or a mediocre AMH but those eggs are top quality. An egg's quality can only be tested in a petri dish.

The history of the family has a small bearing, but I've seen from my own family - sisters and also my aunts/ mum that every one of them have a varied reproduction story. I had difficulties yet my sister is ridiculously fertile. Ditto with my Aunt - TTC for years and years yet my mammy got pregnant very easily.

Have you been TTC since October? I hear the Clearblue monitor is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

Neyite wrote: »
    Have you been TTC since October? I hear the Clearblue monitor is brilliant.

Not actively trying. Been using the withdrawal method.

I was bored at home last night and used one of the boots OPKs. It showed the LH charge. The Clearblue monitor says to only use first-morning urine but apparently, this isn't ideal as it means you could miss a day.

Anyway, the CBM showed a 'peak' day today. Just out of curiosity I did another one of the Boots tests later in the evening and it was negative.

I BD on Wed, Friday and today. I was going to hold off today and go tomorrow instead but panicked when I saw the negative test. I really need to pick a lane and just rely on one test method so I stop confusing myself. I've heard that I should be BD every other day but then others say every day. It's hard to know what advice to follow.

The other thing is, and I feel so stupid about this is. Every time I've BD I feel really anxious afterwards thinking "omg, what if I actually get pregnant, am I ready for this?" :(

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Don't worry, I think most people get the positive pregnancy test and are still thinking "Oh my god, am I ready for this??" Sure it took me almost 2 years to get preggers this time around, and still when I took the test I had a "sweet jesus, there's no going back now!" moment when it came up positive.

Does the clear blue monitor do your temperature?

I found the fertility friend app good - I used that in conjunction with temping, but the thing about temping is it confirms when you have ovulated, but doesn't necessarily tell you when you're about to ovulate. It's handy to use in conjunction with OPK strips/tests - the tests tell you when you're having your LH surge, and then a day or two later your temperature should drop to confirm if you've ovulated.

Toots wrote: »
    Don't worry, I think most people get the positive pregnancy test and are still thinking "Oh my god, am I ready for this??" Sure it took me almost 2 years to get preggers this time around, and still when I took the test I had a "sweet jesus, there's no going back now!" moment when it came up positive.

That's reassuring. I suppose I'm being very optimistic thinking I'm going to get pregnant straight away!
    Does the clear blue monitor do your temperature?

No it tests for LH and estrogen AFAIK. I think I'll pick up one of the thermometers as well.
    I found the fertility friend app good.

I'll try this one as well. Thank you.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Yeah, the "am I ready for this" feeling lasts about...ohhh until they are about 18 I think. :D After years of rolling my eyes at FB statuses of montessori graduations, there was I when it was our turn videoing the whole thing with damp eyeballs because I'm barely ready for my baby to go off to Big School and he's Growing Up So Fast. <clich

We were a year TTC then got referred to a clinic. A few months of tweaking my hormones and whatnot it was a full 2 yrs after beginning TTC, 29 cycles and on the third round of Clomid I finally got duffed. And even then when the line appeared I felt my heart start to thump and think OhSh!twhathavewedone!!! for a moment or two.

We still look at each other and can't believe we have this kid. That someone let us have a kid. When we are not doing that, we are in disbelief that 6 years ago our lives just Got Real.

And even though we were half terrified and most of the time are winging it, it's been an absolute blast. The best I can describe it is that we didn't know we had a kid-shaped hole in our lives until he came along.

I'll end the sop now. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

If everyone waited til they were ready I don't think anyone I know would have children :)

I was waiting all week for AF to arrive, I had some dark spotting after my last post but still no sign or symptoms of the imminent arrival of my period. All very similar to last month so I decided to take a test this morning and it was BFP!

I'm terrified and reluctant to get my hopes up, especially as I'm spotting. I can't believe quite believe it

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

If everyone waited til they were ready I don't think anyone I know would have children :)

I was waiting all week for AF to arrive, I had some dark spotting after my last post but still no sign or symptoms of the imminent arrival of my period. All very similar to last month so I decided to take a test this morning and it was BFP!

I'm terrified and reluctant to get my hopes up, especially as I'm spotting. I can't believe quite believe it

Congratulations!! I hope it all goes well for you this time round x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Ah congratulations, holly. Going to be an understandably nervous few weeks for you but wishing you all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

Ah congratulations, holly. Going to be an understandably nervous few weeks for you but wishing you all the best.

Thanks ladies. Yes it's going to be an anxious time for me. When I told my husband I was pregnant last month we were both so excited. This time around it's different, I don't think we're going to talk about it much or make plans until we have a scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I hope everyone is doing well. I posted 4 weeks ago when I had an early miscarriage (5 weeks) so I'm wondering when will AF arrive? Pre-miscarriage I had a regular 28 day cycle but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced delays in their cycles or when should I expect my first period after a miscarriage?

I had an early loss at the start of this year, first cycle after was 42 days but it settled back to 30-32 days quickly after that.

Congrats on the BFP :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Congrats Helen! Fingers crossed it goes well this time!x

Does everyone try to do the deed every day during their fertile window? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Newlymrs

Evening ladies, sorry to hijack the chat but I'm frazzled and looking for advice, it's our third month ttc, I done ovulation test every day since my period finished last month to make sure I got the right time, turns out my (2) apps predicted ovulation a few days before I got positive on the kit, got my positive 19 days aft period began, dtd that morn, skipped a day and went again, now my period is late,well 2 days late which isn't unusual for me however I seem to have some spotting which is very unusual for me, usually I get very heavy periods for 4 days and light for the 5th......I also had why felt like period pains up til the spotting started, is this just all wishful thinking on my behalf or does it sound like there is a chance I'm possibly pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Newlymrs wrote: »
    Evening ladies, sorry to hijack the chat but I'm frazzled and looking for advice, it's our third month ttc, I done ovulation test every day since my period finished last month to make sure I got the right time, turns out my (2) apps predicted ovulation a few days before I got positive on the kit, got my positive 19 days aft period began, dtd that morn, skipped a day and went again, now my period is late,well 2 days late which isn't unusual for me however I seem to have some spotting which is very unusual for me, usually I get very heavy periods for 4 days and light for the 5th......I also had why felt like period pains up til the spotting started, is this just all wishful thinking on my behalf or does it sound like there is a chance I'm possibly pregnant.

It's certainly possible. If you do a first response test on your first urine of the morning, it should be accurate at this stage.

Yeah, it's a possibility :) Some women get implantation bleeding - I never did so I can't describe it for you though.

One thing I did notice though is that I paid a LOT more attention to each twinge and sensation when ttc. In all likelihood they would come and go during my cycles but I was paying more attention to them when TTC.

Anyway, try a pregnancy test with first morning urine and you'll know for sure.

Best of luck!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Definitely do a test, if you're 2 days late it should be enough to show as positive if you're pregnant. I had implantation bleeding this time around, but didn't have it on my first baby. Both times I felt quite "period-y" in the days before I took the test - apparently early pregnancy symptoms and PMS are quite similar (just to mess with your head even more!)

Best of luck and hope you get a BFP!

Fingers crossed Newlymrs! No harm doing a test! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

After suffering a miscarriage last month and AF showing up after an anxious wait, we think we are ready to try again. We have a lot going on at the moment so trying not to let stress get on top of me so going to just take everything as it comes. We hadn't been actively trying when I got pregnant initially but it made us realise how much we want a little one 🙂 Best of luck to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Newlymrs

Thanks for all the lovely replies....AF landed with a bang this morn! Neyite you are so right you do pay more attention to every little twinge, .....I'm a disaster, every little symptom can be a sign of pregnancy when you start overthinking. Ah well onwards & upwards, time to plan for the new month now. Tks girlies for all, no doubt ye will hear from me again next month. I was an over thinker before but god ttc really sets it off.

Sorry to hear Shark week has arrived for you :(

TTC sex can get very mechanical and joyless very easily though when you are a bit of an overthinker. I'm one too and had to try to train myself out of it for TTC because it wasn't doing my stress levels or my headspace any good.

I'm with you- like last month I saw wee signs that I didn't notice before and I figured it must mean that I'm not gonna see period for ages

• Advertisement

I'm the exact same. I'm not due my period until 19th but I'm going to the toilet way more often and I've convinced myself (even though I know I'm being silly!) that it's a sign.

Also, has anyone got a link to all the abbreviations? I'm a bit lost with them :p

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Meathcat7

Sorry to hear Shark week has arrived for you :(

TTC sex can get very mechanical and joyless very easily though when you are a bit of an overthinker. I'm one too and had to try to train myself out of it for TTC because it wasn't doing my stress levels or my headspace any good.

I shouldn't laugh, but I did LOL when I saw it called 'Shark week'!!!

I'm the exact same. I'm not due my period until 19th but I'm going to the toilet way more often and I've convinced myself (even though I know I'm being silly!) that it's a sign.

Also, has anyone got a link to all the abbreviations? I'm a bit lost with them :p

We are supposed to toe the official line of no acronyms :o but this forum is quite technical so we do inadvertently shorten sometimes. Main ones are:

AF: Aunt Flo - period
    TTC: Trying to Conceive
    HPT: Home pregnancy test
    OPK:Ovulation predictor kit
    CM/CF : Cervical mucus /Cervical Fluid
    BFP/BFN : Big fat positive/Big fat negative (pregnancy test result)
    CD1: CD is Cycle Day. First day of period (full red flow) is CD1 of your cycle.
    MC: miscarriage.

Ones not to use that are desperately twee and cringy:
    BD (BabyDance) - you can say sex here. Or shagging or riding or whatever your preference. Just not BD. Just no.
    DH /DP : Dear Husband/ Dear Partner. Ew.
    Babydust - it's basically wishing everyone luck. Just wish everyone luck without pretending you are sodding Tinkerbell. :P

Basically, if it's to shorten a proper wording or terminology I turn a blind eye. If it's childish euphemisms I may rap knuckles.

We are supposed to toe the official line of no acronyms :o but this forum is quite technical so we do inadvertently shorten sometimes. Main ones are:

AF: Aunt Flo - period
    TTC: Trying to Conceive
    HPT: Home pregnancy test
    OPK:Ovulation predictor kit
    CM/CF : Cervical mucus /Cervical Fluid
    BFP/BFN : Big fat positive/Big fat negative (pregnancy test result)
    CD1: CD is Cycle Day. First day of period (full red flow) is CD1 of your cycle.
    MC: miscarriage.

Ones not to use that are desperately twee and cringy:
    BD (BabyDance) - you can say sex here. Or shagging or riding or whatever your preference. Just not BD. Just no.
    DH /DP : Dear Husband/ Dear Partner. Ew.
    Babydust - it's basically wishing everyone luck. Just wish everyone luck without pretending you are sodding Tinkerbell. :P

Basically, if it's to shorten a proper wording or terminology I turn a blind eye. If it's childish euphemisms I may rap knuckles.

Thanks for that! I used BD 'cause I saw it on another forum. Won't be using it again, I thought it was so odd but was the norm. Much prefer the phrase 'got the ride' myself :D

Thanks for that! I used BD 'cause I saw it on another forum. Won't be using it again, I thought it was so odd but was the norm. Much prefer the phrase 'got the ride' myself :D

I'm partial to an auld ride myself :D

On the Tickers 'n Glitters sites, they are awfully twee. I couldn't stick them. I could nearly feel my teeth rotting from all the sugar-sweet posts on those. To my mind if you can't say 'sex' then you are too immature to be doing it let alone trying to talk about it. :pac: I like Mumsnet though. They scorn glittery sh!t on there.

I think I'll just stick with this forum. :D

I like to call it the no pants dance, or playing hide the sausage (not really :pac:)

Oh, another one you might see a lot of is EWCM which is egg white cervical mucus :)

How many would you try to have sex during your fertile window? It was only our 2nd month 'actively' trying and we only did the deed twice whereas we did it 3 times the month before. Feels like we should be trying to do it a lot more but just didn't happen so I'm conscious of that

When we did the timed ovulation induction with the clinic, they recommended doing it only twice - once before and once after ovulation. And that the bloke was to have a few days abstaining beforehand. Now I knew pretty much to the hour when ovulation was going to occur in that case so it helps plan, but the LH surge from the OPK usually gives you 48 hrs notice of ovulation so once during those 48 hrs and once after should be plenty.

Sperm can live for up to 5 days. The egg lasts for 12 hrs. So preferably the sperm is waiting when the egg is released.

• Advertisement

So it would basically be a good idea if I start doing OPKs every morning after my period ends? Once I get a positive I can do the deed any time within the next 48 hours and then again afterwards?

Advertisement