Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to Conceive 2016 onwards Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

I went to a private consultant to get the progesterone after mc 2, I think I asked upfront before appointment if he presecibed it, if yours doesn’t, I would find one that doesn’t. I don’t know if it helps or not but where is the harm in trying. Once I had the initial prescription my gp would hen prescribe repeat prescriptions.

I'm thinking of using natural progesterone. Can I ask what your prescription was, i.e. when in your cycle? etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

GaGa21 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of using natural progesterone. Can I ask what your prescription was, i.e. when in your cycle? etc?

I was told to take it after ovulation and continue taking it until day 14. Stop after negative pregnancy test or if got my period.

Be careful to make sure you have definitely ovulated before starting it because I think it can delay ovulation if it take it beforehand.

My acupuncturist told me she thought it was supposed to be taken as soon as you get a BFP but I was told by the consultant to start right after ovulation, it’s too late once you get BFP.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

Where can you get natural progesterone from?

I'm just out of the hospital after having my laparoscopy for endometriosis. I've got stage 4 :( My left ovary was stuck to the wall with so much endo but the surgeon managed to release it.

My tubes looked ok so fingers crossed 2018 is the year for me.

lunamoon wrote:

Health shops as far as I know. And online. I've read mixed reviews so I might ask doctor about progesterone prescription. I've stage 4 endo too, ovary hidden but no excision surgery due to bowel involvement. AMH and internal day 7 scan numbers fine but I think progesterone may be an issue as I don't seem to get a temp spike after ovulation. As endo is oestrogen dominant it makes sense that we may be low in progesterone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Happy Christmas everyone. Best of luck in 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Molly1983

lunamoon wrote: »

I'm just out of the hospital after having my laparoscopy for endometriosis. I've got stage 4 :( My left ovary was stuck to the wall with so much endo but the surgeon managed to release it.

My tubes looked ok so fingers crossed 2018 is the year for me.

I had the exact same diagnosis oct2015.
    I gave birth to a baby in oct 2016!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭GalwayDonegal

do you mind me asking you a question. I don't think I'm currently ovulating aso purchased the advanced clear blue fertility monitor. . no peaks appearing each month. I've made appointment with my doctor for next week but wondering when you after you had your blood tests and if it turns out I am not ovulating so at that point what will happen . I don't know what to expect from doc next week and just asking.thanks in advance

Molly1983 wrote:
    I had the exact same diagnosis oct2015. I gave birth to a baby in oct 2016!

With or without excision surgery of endo?

I've made appointment with my doctor for next week but wondering when you after you had your blood tests and if it turns out I am not ovulating so at that point what will happen.

You may be prescribed progesterone to see if it helps with ovulation. You may also be referred to fertility clinic depending on your age and how long you have been ttc.

thank you for response. I'm 35 years old...ttc for nearly a year
    You may be prescribed progesterone to see if it helps with ovulation. You may also be referred to fertility clinic depending on your age and how long you have been ttc.

• Advertisement

Well the experts say try for a year if under 35 and 6 months over 35, then fertility tests should be looked at. Testing will include your partner so maybe go together? I would do some research on clinics that would suit your location and ask GP for a referral letter. Or skip GP and go directly to clinic yourself for testing. It will ease your mind and you will know the situation going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CorkBaby

Hi ladies, I have just finished reading pretty much all of this thread and hope ye don't mind me joining in!

Well first of all I have just realised how little I actually know but this thread has been so informative so thank you for that :)

So, I am 38 and just after coming off the pill after about 20 years on it so I'm kinda worried about how long it'll take my body to get back to normal. I got what I thought what was my first period since I came off it last Friday which would have been 3 days before it would have been due anyway but after doing some research it seems like that was only a withdrawal bleed and not an actual period so I don't know where I am at now. Anyone here have any experiences of coming off it after such a long time?

I am with my boyfriend just over a year and before him I never met anyone that I wanted to have children with and to be honest if anyone ever asked me if I wanted kids I was never too bothered either way. But now that I have found the right person and we chatted a good bit about it the last month or so I am after realising that this is what I want! I just hope I'm not after leaving it too late!

I am not gonna go down the road of temping or getting opk's yet until I know when I am back in a normal pattern and will decide then what to do.
    For the meantime I am just gonna focus on trying to get healthier and lose some weight.

Wishing you all the very best of luck on this journey :)

As you are 38, experts recommend 6 months of trying and then look at assistance such as getting your AMH blood test and your partners sperm count done. I know that sounds full on but you won't believe how the time flys. The sooner you know about any issues, the better the success rate will be if you end up needing IVF. Getting healthy is good as the clinics will only work with women BMI 30 or lower. Start taking a multi vitamin with folic acid and iron.
    If not using OPKs or temping etc, use the period tracker app or fertility friend app. These are great.
    Get to know your cycle and when you are ovulating so you will have a better chance of success.
    Best of luck!

As you are 38, experts recommend 6 months of trying and then look at assistance such as getting your AMH blood test and your partners sperm count done. I know that sounds full on but you won't believe how the time flys. The sooner you know about any issues, the better the success rate will be if you end up needing IVF. Getting healthy is good as the clinics will only work with women BMI 30 or lower. Start taking a multi vitamin with folic acid and iron.
    If not using OPKs or temping etc, use the period tracker app or fertility friend app. These are great.
    Get to know your cycle and when you are ovulating so you will have a better chance of success.
    Best of luck!

Take a multi Vitamin without Vitamin A. I made that mistake....

Best of luck!

Thanks a million for the reply.
    I suppose I can't really start counting the 6 months til my periods start back regularly but hopefully they won't take long.
    Oh yes I did forget to mention that my doctor did prescribe me folic acid as I told her last month we were thinking of it so I am going to collect that this evening.
    I have the Period Tracker app and downloaded Fertility Friend yesterday while reading this thread.
    Hopefully my first proper period will come at the end of this month and I will know then that my cycle is back to normal and can start focusing on when I am ovulating then.
    Good luck to you too Gaga, hope you aren't waiting much longer.

RubyXI wrote: »

Thanks Ruby, any recommendations on which one or are they all the same?
    Congrats on your pregnancy and best of luck with the next few months :)

CorkBaby wrote: »
    Thanks Ruby, any recommendations on which one or are they all the same?
    Congrats on your pregnancy and best of luck with the next few months :)

Thanks :pac: Probably best stick to the pregnacare ones or any other ones aimed at pregnancy and ttc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Makes note to self to actually take my mutlivit/folic acid. I’ve got lax at this stage.
    Welcome Corkbaby. Hopefully your stay will be short.

I’m waiting for Cycle 10. Cycle 9 was pretty much a write off due to bad timing of travel and Christmas

CorkBaby wrote:
    Good luck to you too Gaga, hope you aren't waiting much longer.

Cycle 12 for me this month so I have a feeling I will be going down the IVF route this year. Although my test results are normal, I think my endo is preventing pregnancy naturally. So will see what happens this month, fingers crossed x

Cycle 12 for me this month so I have a feeling I will be going down the IVF route this year. Although my test results are normal, I think my endo is preventing pregnancy naturally. So will see what happens this month, fingers crossed x

Good luck! And fingers crossed for you

• Advertisement

do you mind me asking why without vitamin a please
    RubyXI wrote: »

do you mind me asking why without vitamin a please

Too much vit A has been linked to birth defects. I don't know if it has been proven but still best to avoid it.

Makes note to self to actually take my mutlivit/folic acid. I’ve got lax at this stage.
    Welcome Corkbaby. Hopefully your stay will be short.

I’m waiting for Cycle 10. Cycle 9 was pretty much a write off due to bad timing of travel and Christmas

Thanks mirrorwall and don't forget your folic acid ;)
    Hopefully 2018 will be your year :)

Tested this morning as one day late and had an MRI this evening. Big fat negative. Started this evening and I was actually ok with that. It’s the unknown I don’t like at all

Cycle 10 now. Booking an appointment with the GP as getting one sided pain/twinges from ovulation through to my period for the last three cycles. It’s annoying me and I’m a year trying at the end of the month anyways.

It's my first ovulation week since my lap in December.

Do many people get signs they are ovulating? I don't think I've ever noticed it. I usually ovulate around day 17/18 so fingers crossed this is my month/year.

Got a BFP using a First Response. Still in shock.

Oh that’s wonderful! Congratuonaltiona!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Congratulations!!

lunamoon wrote:
    Got a BFP using a First Response. Still in shock.

Congratulations! I hope the pregnancy goes well x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Raven747

Hi Ladies!

Thank you so much for a very informative thread. In a weird way there's so much comfort in knowing I'm not alone in this and I have so many options left to explore.

I've been living in Ireland (Dublin) for about 18 months and TTC for about 2 years.
    During my last visit home I visited a gynaecologist which prescribed some fertility medication to use for 3 cycles, unfortunately it didn't work so now we're considering our next steps - which we assume is to get our fertility tested.

I'm not at all familiar with the Irish health care system, how it works and so forth. Never had to see a doctor since I moved here, so I don't even have a GP. I could therefore really use some advice from you lovely ladies.
    I'm a mature student (31) and my fiance works abroad (he's away half the year) and we don't have health insurance.
    (I was advised at home that my EU medical card is my insurance due to my student status - Not quite sure how true that is)

So, do you have any recommendations for us on where we go from here? Do I need to start by seeing a GP to get a referral? Or can I go straight to a gynaecologist or a clinic to get tested?
    Same for him, where do we get him tested?

Many thanks in advance for your help :)

Advertisement