Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Germany to study with non EEA long term girlfriend

Options
  • 02-01-2016 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Hey, hope someone can give me some information.

My girlfriend and I have been together for nearly 10 years and spent the last 7-8 of those in Ireland. I decided to return to college to complete my degree last year, and she moved back home to train to be a Mandarin teacher (she's Chinese) and to gain experience teaching. I am now looking to do a Master's in Germany (2 year degree) starting in September and we obviously want to not be apart for any more time. I spent last summer in China and I've now finished my degree so will be going to China to work in Feb/March until my Master's begins in September.

What are our options? I'm aware of my entitlement to exercise my EU treaty rights, but what's the deal with the fact that we're not married and also that we are not currently living together in Ireland? I will be able to provide letters from landlords, friends, family and so on, and have loads of pictures and stuff. Would she be able to work in Germany? I'd be studying, obviously, so it would be unlikely that I'd be able to earn a wage to support us both, though I will be working. We will have a decent amount of money saved.

Would it be a case of approaching the German Embassy in China and requesting/applying for a visa for her or would I need to invite her from Germany once I'm there? I'd like to get this all sorted out in advance as she has a job and an apartment so we will have a lot of stuff to take care of ahead of time.

Thanks in advance, and I hope you can help.

Advertisement