Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4790K and 1.65V memory

Options
  • 02-01-2016 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

Random crashes (once every 36 hours or so) which my water is telling me my memory is sitting right on the edge of what it can do. I have overvolted my memory to 1.65V which It's handles without issue before but unsure whether my 4790K will be okay.

Thoughts? (Preferably with visual aids)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Is the ram overclocked or is the 1.65v its default volts?
    It wont damage your cpu running at 1.65v once your cooling is up to the extra heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Ram is overclocked and overvolted. No issue there as the RAM used to run at 1.65v on my old i5-750 and i5-3570K. There is rumblings on the interweb that devil's canyon doesn't like 1.65v RAM much the same way Skylake is not meant to be ran with DDR3 because of the higher voltage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Out of interest what kind of OC did you manage on the 4790k?

My ram is @ 1.65v (8gb) and my cpu @ 4.6ghz on all for cores @ 1.245v adaptive.

I haven't overclocked the memory as the gains are supposedly minimal.

You can either run the ram at stock settings or loosen the timings to see if the crashes stop.
    1.65v is fine for Haswell.

It might not be fully stable so you may need to up the Vtt also.

Certainly not worth doing with newer ram but this is some of the legendary 'samsung green' from a few years back. It's absolute max was 1333 but some people were getting silly, silly numbers from it so it's always been OC'd.

I'm 4.7Ghz @ 1.325v but I'm on a custom loop. It's the very max the chip will go without silly voltages. To get to 4.8Ghz I was nearer 1.4 I could brig it down but it wasn't stable, I even got it to 5Ghz booting but alas, Plop as soon as I tried to run real bench.

I suspect if I came down to 4.6 it would allow me to significantly reduce voltage, not as low as yours though I think. I'm reckoning I got a little bit boned on the silicon lottery this time. The thing is with this gen though is they're meant to be much closer together in terms of chip quality, make sense given they are so fast out of the box.

• Advertisement

game4it70 wrote: »
    You can either run the ram at stock settings or loosen the timings to see if the crashes stop.
    1.65v is fine for Haswell.

It might not be fully stable so you may need to up the Vtt also.

I need to do a good 24 hour run on memtest but anecdotally I think it's happy (read stable) at 1.65V, that odd crash at 1.5 seems to indicate that. I'm at 1866 9-10-9-27 1T not bad for 6+ year old ram I bought (16GB of for €40) off a guy who handed it to me in a paper towel :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I need big volts for 4.7Ghz, haven't even bothered trying for 4.8. I'm on air so it's not worth the temps.

Definitely not.

TBH it's not worth OCing them at all but what's the point of buying a K SKU unless you get something for free! :pac:

I need 1.34v for 4.5ghz and i suspect around 1.42v for 4.6ghz on my cpu :mad:

One of these days i will get a good clocker.I'm due one as my 920,2500k and 4670k where only average at best :(

Advertisement