Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat weight gain since steroids

• 02-01-2016 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

This is the first time I've posted on here so was a bit nervous about doing it. Apologies if this question has been already asked, I had a look through a few threads but couldn't find anything that matched. I became a new pet owner back in March so still new to all this. Spock was a rescue cat, he was underweight, with missing fur, missing some of his tail and a servere nasal infection. It's been a long road of antibiotics and various other medicines to try and get him healthy. My vet recommended steroids after a few months, which I resisted for a while, because I was worried about shortening his life, but after him spending a night on an iv from an upset stomach from his meds, I gave in. His standard of living since going on them has increased exponentially, but he has gained a lot of weight. We weaned him off the steroids eventually and I only have to give him a couple of tablets if his breathing gets bad. I haven't had to do that for the last couple of months. I've been weighing out his food, giving him the amounts recommended on the back of the royal canin bag - a mixture of wet and dry food, because I'm afraid of overfeeding him but he is still overweight. He has been an indoor cat because of his health issues so I've tried to help his exercise with plenty of toys and a cat tree. He runs around like a lunatic during crazy hour I've started letting him out a little since his health improved but I'm a big scaredy cat about it all. I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do to help with his weight. Sorry the long spiel.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's rather obvious to say it but if you reduce his food allowance, he will lose weight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well switch RC for heavy cats (if you want to remain on RC, not exactly my first choice due to price vs. quality) and/or reduce his feed by 10% (do it slowly over two weeks to help adjust to the new size) and cut out all treats to zero (that includes scraps etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

I would imagine that the quantities mentioned on the packs are for healthy cats that get to go outside, but I am no expert. Agree with the above but I would discuss with your vet next time you are there as you don't want to give too little. Or maybe give the vet a call if you don't want to wait. I'm sure the vet or vet nurse would happily guide you especially since they know your pet and his conditions so well.

BTW, fair play to you for taking in and loving the cat so much. Very hard work but so worth it. So nice to hear especially that it seems like he is on the road to recovery and much healthier and happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Avonne

Nody wrote: »
    Well switch RC for heavy cats (if you want to remain on RC, not exactly my first choice due to price vs. quality) and/or reduce his feed by 10% (do it slowly over two weeks to help adjust to the new size) and cut out all treats to zero (that includes scraps etc.).

Thanks for the advice. I don't feed him scraps ( he's a funny cat and doesn't seem to like anything I eat) I also don't give him treats. I was trying to reduce the amount of dry food I give him but maybe I just need to persist with it. What cat food would you recommend for heavier cats?

VandC wrote: »
    I would imagine that the quantities mentioned on the packs are for healthy cats that get to go outside, but I am no expert. Agree with the above but I would discuss with your vet next time you are there as you don't want to give too little. Or maybe give the vet a call if you don't want to wait. I'm sure the vet or vet nurse would happily guide you especially since they know your pet and his conditions so well.

BTW, fair play to you for taking in and loving the cat so much. Very hard work but so worth it. So nice to hear especially that it seems like he is on the road to recovery and much healthier and happier.

Thanks for the advice. He's an absolute gem of a cat. Even though it has been difficult at times, it has been worth it. He is a playful, affectionate cat and is really healthy and active the last few months. Glad I made the decision to put him on steroids, even if it caused him to gain weight, because nothing was working before that

• Advertisement

It's rather obvious to say it but if you reduce his food allowance, he will lose weight.

It's only since he went on the steroids that he gained weight, it wasn't from me giving him massive amounts of food.

I've also tried reducing the amount of dry food I give him but it didn't seem to have any affect on his weight. Was just wondering if there was anything extra that I could do

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I don't have much cat experience, but with overweight dogs it can be a good addition to a weight-loss program to activity feed them... Stuffed Kong toys, activity balls, food hidden in cartons, paper or cardboard, scatter feeding (dry food scattered around so cat has to go looking for each bit), hiding food around the house... Does that sort of thing work for cats?:o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Avonne wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. I don't feed him scraps ( he's a funny cat and doesn't seem to like anything I eat) I also don't give him treats. I was trying to reduce the amount of dry food I give him but maybe I just need to persist with it. What cat food would you recommend for heavier cats?
    Sterilised Appetite Control going with RC; go about 10% below recommendation as a starting point.

DBB wrote: »
    I don't have much cat experience, but with overweight dogs it can be a good addition to a weight-loss program to activity feed them... Stuffed Kong toys, activity balls, food hidden in cartons, paper or cardboard, scatter feeding (dry food scattered around so cat has to go looking for each bit), hiding food around the house... Does that sort of thing work for cats?:o

That might work. Sounds like a fun way to feed him. He does his best to get in at my store of food for him as it is

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Another form of activity feeding is having bowls at either end of a room... You drop one piece of food into one bowl, then you or an assistant drops food into the other bowl, then back to the first bowl, and so on, so that the dog/cat has to zigzag between the bowls to get each mouthful of food!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Feeding a wet food diet makes it easier to control their weight too, cats can tend to overeat dry food as its "out of sync" with natural food, being almost fully dehydrated. A wet food diet will keep them hydrated which is healthier and they can have larger amounts due to the high moisture content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Don't steroids cause fluid retention? Is it possible that some of the weight gain is actually just fluid and not fat?
    Are the steroids going to be a life long treatment? If so, you may need to talk to the vet about assess whether he is actually a fat cat or just steroid induced fluid retaining.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

Well done on taking on a cat that needed so much help, many people wouldn't have done such a lovely thing. Maybe you could switch to a grain free high protein dry or wet food? It would be a healthier,and carb free alternative and keep puss full for longer. Maybe have a look at Zooplus.ie and search grain free cat food. Each product has a breakdown of ingredients and reviews from people who've bought it. Some posters on here must use grain free and could suggest a few. We use Bozita tins of food for our cats.

Don't steroids cause fluid retention? Is it possible that some of the weight gain is actually just fluid and not fat?
    Are the steroids going to be a life long treatment? If so, you may need to talk to the vet about assess whether he is actually a fat cat or just steroid induced fluid retaining.

They're pretty much for life, although we're trying to keep it down to a minimum as he is so young. Think I'll go back to the vet to talk to her about it all. I might be worrying about something I can't change. Thanks for your advice. I want to do what's best for him so it's much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Hills' Metabolic works miracles for feline weight loss and feline weight maintanance, over any other reduced-calorie product.

(And no, I don't work for Hills, just I have tried different lo-cal foods with my cats!)

scream wrote: »
    Well done on taking on a cat that needed so much help, many people wouldn't have done such a lovely thing. Maybe you could switch to a grain free high protein dry or wet food? It would be a healthier,and carb free alternative and keep puss full for longer. Maybe have a look at Zooplus.ie and search grain free cat food. Each product has a breakdown of ingredients and reviews from people who've bought it. Some posters on here must use grain free and could suggest a few. We use Bozita tins of food for our cats.

If I'm being honest I didn't really fully understand what I was taking on. I thought I would just have to give him a few tablets for a month or so and that would be it. By the time he deteriorated and I was steaming him in my ensuite and syringing medicine and fluids into him I was very emotionally involved. In fairness he has been worth it, I've gotten so much joy out of having him in my life.

I've been planning on switching his food for a while now, so thanks for the tip. Will do some research before I order his next batch of food

boomerang wrote: »
    Hills' Metabolic works miracles for feline weight loss and feline weight maintanance, over any other reduced-calorie product.

(And no, I don't work for Hills, just I have tried different lo-cal foods with my cats!)

Will look into Hills, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Do Avonne, I'm a vet nurse and this shows great results. You also don't need to feed him a less than normal amount if feeding this food - cutting back on a cat with a roaring appetite from steroids would be unkind. :0

Only available from vets that stock Hills' and it's pricey. But it does exactly what it says on the tin so long as you measure it out accurately according to his current weight - and it's not forever.

Advertisement