Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence

Options
  • 02-01-2016 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi dose anyone know if you have been cautioned by the police before ruins your chances of getting a gun licence. I have before but nothing ever went to court I have fca1 form all ready to hand in to my local garda station and just wondering as I know they do a back round check on you thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The answer you don't want to hear is, it's down to the Superintendent. However there are some things you can do/check.

First thing is to disclose EVERYTHING. I cannot stress this enough. They already know all about you so don't do anything foolish (or illegal) by submitting false information or not declaring everything.

That being said the key phrase here is Intemperate Character. It's these two words that will stop you from getting the license. If the caution is recent you can still apply, but it might be a bit "fresh". It's all down to:
    • How long ago was it
    • Was it for something serious (and i by no means want you to discuss your personal business here)
    • Was there charges or a court case
    • What was the sentence
    • Have you kept a clean nose since then
    • Is it this one thing or is it another in a line of cautions/charges/arrests, etc.

You don't have to answer in the positive on everything, but the more the better. You most likely will be called in for an interview. This is how a Superintendent will determine if you should get it or not. There is no real right answer. Just answer honestly and you'll find most are wiling to trust you. By trust i mean it's the Super's name going on your application grant letter so they are responsible for making sure only the appropriate person gets one.

When talking to the Super bee polite, DO NOT loose your cool and even if you are refused thank him/her for their time, shake hands and leave. Just because you are unsuccessful this time does not mean you always will be and if you loose your sh*t and storm out (if they refuse you) then kiss any future chances goodbye.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Larnevin

Thanks cass 👠I found this very helpful

I don't have any charges against me something happened two years ago I was only called in for questions by the garda at the time but never heard anything back as the person involved was very drunk and in the wrong that's all I can say at this stage

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As said above there is no need to go into detail. It's your business kid.

Even having a charge/conviction does not necessarily disentitle you from applying. Things that disentitle you include:
    • Having served a prison sentence (of not less than 3 months) in the last 5 years
    • Being on parole
    • Having to sign on in a Garda Station (under Garda supervision)
    • Being under 14
    • Intemperate Character
    • Unsound mind
    Some of these are subject to Garda review. For example being bond to the peace classes you as disentitled, but i know of two people that were under such orders and after an interview were granted their certs.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    As said above there is no need to go into detail. It's your business kid.

Even having a charge/conviction does not necessarily disentitle you from applying. Things that disentitle you include:
    • Having served a prison sentence (of not less than 3 months) in the last 5 years
    • Being on parole
    • Having to sign on in a Garda Station (under Garda supervision)
    • Being under 14
    • Intemperate Character
    • Unsound mind
    Some of these are subject to Garda review. For example being bond to the peace classes you as disentitled, but i know of two people that were under such orders and after an interview were granted their certs.

That's great news thanks again pal for information I can say I have a little bit more convenient now going in to ask for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

There's no cast in stone rules. I know people who've been convicted of serious offences and after some time and serious consideration have been granted their licence(s). On the other hand I know of at least one that has never been convicted of anything but was more or less told to get lost until he mended his drinking habits.

Gardai work with the public all the time and most are not exactly idiots either. They'll fairly quickly make up their mind wether you're sound or a tool so don't make them decide you're a tool is the only advice anyone can give you.

Thanks all after a bit of research I actually don't think I even have a caution I looked up adult caution and you have to sign a form in front of a Garda to say you agree to this caution I cannot remember signing anything like this I just had to make a statement at the time and heard nothing back this was like two years ago but all the same I'll take both of your advice and be polite and honest and hopefully I'll get the license so thanks guys really appreciate your advice.

Advertisement