Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Murphy Radio A244

• 02-01-2016 10:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

Just wondering if I could get some pointers from some of the helpful folk here. Dug out an old (olde than myself) radio at home a few years ago - cleaned it up, dusted off the inside as well and tested it out, still working.

Dug it out again at Christmas and gave it a bit of clean again (had been left out in a shed - left it in the kitchen for a few days in the hopes it would rid it of any residual moisture). Still working.

Seems to be a Murphy A244. Cant seem to find the model listed anywhere online, aside from some newspaper ads in 1957!

So a couple of things i was hoping i might get some guidance on:
    * Would i be able to find a service manual or similar for this which isnt showing up in a cursory google search?
    * The sound is very crackly, which to a certain degree I presume is just down to the analogue transmittal/reception. Is there anything I can do to improve this? I'm thinking my aerial setup is less than ideal (about 5m of cable).
    * Any other tips for improving the reception/sound quality? Any sort of restoration I can do on the speaker or other parts?

Any help at all on this would be very much appreciated. I don't think it was a top quality radio when it was new, but I do have a soft spot for it having grown up with it and using down through the years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 WiredSpark101

I can't post the url as I'm a new user, but take a look at Murphy radio (dot) Co (dot) uk
    I couldn't put the W's in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 WiredSpark101

I can't post the url as I'm a new user, but take a look at Murphy radio (dot) Co (dot) uk
    I couldn't put the W's in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Cheers Wired,

I had already found that alright, great site, unfortunately the model isnt listed! Its like it didnt exist!

In my searches, all i have come across is somebody selling on on the pakistan version of done deal, and an advert in a newspaper from 1957!

Speaking to my father he reckons he bought it new between 1955-1958 for the princely sum of £7! He traded in a battery radio at the time which he blew the valves on by hooking it up to a motorbike battery, after the wet/dry battery ran out in the middle of listening to the All'Ireland Final!

I have attached picture for anybody interested.

373543.jpg

And the newspaper page, can just make out its the same model

olive-image-search.php?pub=KER&date=1957-09-07&page=5&w=600&h=600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭thelordgod

Its a strange set for 1957 and I actually doubt its a Murphy at all. Almost alll new Murphy mains sets in 1957 had VHF and the styling of the radio suggests it is much older too. Also the price doesnt add up - your father could not buy a new Murphy for £7. But as there was a factory in Dublin maybe there was still a supply of older sets or maybe they were re-badging stuff for the Irish market.

Advertisement