Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cold cough or flu

2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 137 ✭✭MaryAntoinette

The mild weather and people sitting on their holes eating crap with the heating up to 28.5° is no help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

There are a few theories around why flu is seasonal, but most of them don't really add up other than people being indoors more in cold weather and more likely to be in close contact with each other.

For example, one theory was going on about how flu is spread by cold dry air in winter and not by warm, moist summer air. That wouldn't make any sense in Ireland as it's always wet, yet the flu is still seasonal.

"For sites where monthly average specific humidity or temperature decreases below thresholds of approximately 11-12 g/kg and 18-21°C during the year, influenza activity peaks during the cold-dry season (i.e., winter) when specific humidity and temperature are at minimal levels. For sites where specific humidity and temperature do not decrease below these thresholds, seasonal influenza activity is more likely to peak in months when average precipitation totals are maximal and greater than 150 mm per month. "

www ncbi nam nah gov / pubmed / 23505366
    (add dots and remove spaces - I can't post URLs)

That might explain Ireland's current outbreak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

xband wrote: »
    Well went asleep for 5 hours. Worked up feeling even worse.

This seems a bit more flu like than cold like.

Agh!

If you still feel that bad in a weeks time then you've had the flu, if you're better in a day or two then its not the flu. Real flu is totally debilitating (you are bedridden & really kaputt for at least 48 hours).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've been riddled with something since NYE. Fever, cold, cough, stuffy nose, runny nose. Everything.

Back in college placement today and I hadn't been outside of my house since NYE. Despite a cold morning I was sweating profusely after 5 minutes of walking to the bus stop.

Had to leave placement early. More sweat, shaky at the knees. Collapsed into bed after a hot shower at 1:30pm and only awake now.

Been lashing Vitamin C and Lemsip into me but I still feel rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

working in a shop, i would really appreciate it if said people could refrain from sneezing into their hands, looking at it, rubbing it into their jumpers/coats, then handing me money. also, please refrain from coughing in my face, then covering your mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Not sure where I stand on the whole flu vs cold debate.

My understanding is a flu is a virus. Is a cold a virus too, or a case of getting a bit of a draft and catching the cold?

I'm pretty sure I have the flu at the moment and have it for over a week. I am not sure if everyone has the same strain at the moment but the strain I have has an awful cough which untreated feels like it would kill me. My lungs were sore from coughing at one stage yet nothing was coming up either which made it worse. The only thing working is aspirin which gives a few hours relief. I never remember a flu this bad and its the flu vaccine for me next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Chest and throat infection since New Years' Day myself. It seemed to break yesterday though, so just a couple of days left before it clears up hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Was sweating and freezing at the same time yesterday and had a sick stomach as well, today it's moved on to the sore throat and runny nose stage so hoping by tomorrow it will be nearly gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

crazygeryy wrote: »
    How do you get a poll on boards? Be part of the clique?
    You had the option to create a poll when you created the thread.
    That chance is gone now though. An AH mod can create it for you.
    Report your own post and ask nicely and they may do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

Mine is/was very stuffy nose and tons of sneezing, stuffed ears, hot, cold, sweaty, looked like death warmed up then stomach cramps, achy hips and back and knees and feet...

Slept about 80% of last two days.

Now I feel tons better.

Didn't get a cough and just had to take two Panadol.

Advertisement