Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everton V Spurs

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I'm not saying Carroll won't become a good player, he definitely has ability, but at the moment I'd prefer Bentaleb, and I'd prefer Mason to either of them.

Mason has similar ability and similar looking physique to Carroll, but is far stronger and braver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭golfball37

Ormus wrote: »
    I'm not saying Carroll won't become a good player, he definitely has ability, but at the moment I'd prefer Bentaleb, and I'd prefer Mason to either of them.

Mason has similar ability and similar looking physique to Carroll, but is far stronger and braver.

Carroll has far more ability than Mason. Mason is stronger and braver but he can't pass a football or control a game from midfield.

golfball37 wrote: »
    Carroll has far more ability than Mason. Mason is stronger and braver but he can't pass a football or control a game from midfield.

I think Mason is a good passer. I've never seen Carroll control a game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't trust Bentaleb. The last few times he played, he gave away sloppy passes that cost us goals. Mason for me is the better of the 3, though Carroll has some potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I remain unconvinced by Carroll. I like to give players the befit of the doubt where possible, especially as he came through the Spurs system.

This is his first proper season and I trust that Poch sees a lot on the training ground that we can't see from the stands, but I'd be airing towards a more physical presence. But sure he's not the first choice centre mid yet, maybe with a bit more experience for the rest of the season we'll then get to see the best of his next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I honestly dont think carroll has done anything wrong and if Poch sees him as the best fit for the system then im happy with it.

Between Mason and bentaleb its a no contest for me. Mason plays like the jersey really means something to him.

when bentaleb was giving away goals he just wandered round the pitch afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

Ormus wrote: »
    I think Mason is a good passer. I've never seen Carroll control a game.

carroll wouldnt come close to controlling a game. mason is the top choice of the 3. Dont forget the injury he got earlier in the season when he went in on a full on tackle to score the winning goal for us and messed up his knee in the process

Bentaleb is awful, mistake after mistake. Sell in summer for 10 million.

Demebele first choice, mason second

Carroll further forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

Agree with a lot that's being said, although have to disagree with Bentaleb. He seems to lack concentration, but he has an eye for a pass, good shot, plays just about anywhere in midfield, and there was a time under TS when everyone thought he was the next big thing. He's still only 21, has played at a world cup and I hope to see great things from him under the tutelage of MoPo. Give him time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Kimsang wrote: »
    Agree with a lot that's being said, although have to disagree with Bentaleb. He seems to lack concentration, but he has an eye for a pass, good shot, plays just about anywhere in midfield, and there was a time under TS when everyone thought he was the next big thing. He's still only 21, has played at a world cup and I hope to see great things from him under the tutelage of MoPo. Give him time!

Agree, why is everyone bashing bentaleb all of a sudden..he's done very little wrong for us

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Agree, why is everyone bashing bentaleb all of a sudden..he's done very little wrong for us

Yeah I agree too. His stock has fallen a little bit through losing the ball a couple of times, but he and Mason were part of a midfield that got us 5th place last season. Bentaleb is only 21, has a nice touch and a great physique, he could develop well yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

Kimsang wrote: »

The the biggest cause of goals conceded is lack of concentration. If a CM isnt concentrating and misplaces passes then immediately the defense are under pressure and this will lead to goals if it keeps happening.

Bentaleb was shocking altogether last season away to liverpool and hasnt really played well since. He played a part in some game earlier this season (cant remember which one) and he also had misplaced passes and doesnt seem very interested in tracking back to make up for his mistakes. I dont think Poch rates him or he would have started last weekend - dont think he will be at the club long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

I think it was the United game at the start of the season, he cost us the goal. Regardless I think it would be crazy to give up on him so soon, (and not he business model that levy follows). His stock is probably at an all time low because of injury and no game time, I'm sure he will be given more chances, as he contracted until 2020 just signed a new 5 year deal.

He sustained a bad tackle away at international duty to the same ankle that had him out at the start of the season.

I think this is more the reason we didn't see him last week(at least I hope)

Time will tell! I hope he makes it, I like his guile.

Hatch99 wrote: »

I'm not sure I can agree with that. I can't remember the exact circumstances, but he directly cost us points at the start of the season, with sloppy passes to opposition players. I'm not saying that means he automatically gets dropped, but obviously Poch doesn't think he's ready for being back in the first team, and in Poch we trust.

I dont rate bentaleb massively. His best run for us was under sherwood wen he was the new guy no one knewn anything about. Since then, yes hes been injured, but hes been poor when he has played.

Hes young so he could well improve but id have him behind any of our other DMs and even eriksen for the same position. Were at a point where every game is massively important and I wouldnt be sure of him producing if asked.

Mason, Dier, Dembele, Carroll and Erilsen ahead of him for me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Lads, he's not playing because he's been injured most of the season and 3/4 players are now ahead of him in the pecking order which is only right , doesn't make him a bad player. If he gets his chance at some stage, he'll no doubt do well

I hope he does come back. Having a wealth of choice in midfield can only be good for the team, and having such competition for the CM role will help all the players improve.

Didnt say he was a bad player Hatch.

But do you not agree that if he was a player Poch really sees something in then he wouldve been playing more than he has?

If we were offered anything in the 15-20 million bracket for it id snap a hand off.

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Didnt say he was a bad player Hatch.

But do you not agree that if he was a player Poch really sees something in then he wouldve been playing more than he has?

If we were offered anything in the 15-20 million bracket for it id snap a hand off.

He was a regular all last season under Poch. He started this season as a regular, has been injured pretty much since then, while Dier, Dembele and Alli have been in phenomenal form.

I never thought he was great, but he's only 21 and is already a decent squad player.

I dont no how this has turned into a bentaleb thread but anyway.....

He played in 26 games last year. Did he go to the african nations cup though?

As you say he is a decent squad player and i hope it stays that way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Chiming in here incredibly late but its been a busy start to the year.

All I'll say is the quality of midfielders we have is phenomenonal. I only remember us lambasting the club for getting rid of Capoue and Stambouli. Now look. We've got some great young and seasoned talent who can take those roles and perform 10 fold better than the lads we've gotten rid of.

• Advertisement
Advertisement