Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless Old Man Dublin City

Options
  • 03-01-2016 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Does anyone know anything about the homeless old man, who stands near Cornmarket / Christchurch each day. He appears to be in his late 70s / 80s and wears a disheveled suit, hat, rain trousers and has a wheelie suitcase. He often has a notebook and appears to be logging details of oncoming traffic (though I suspect he isn't of sound mind) I think he lives in the nearby shelter and spends the day time outside.

I've noticed this man on and off over 15 years, going to college and now work. Lately I think about him often, as he's so old looking now. I wonder about his circumstances and wish he was in a home at his age, rather than a homeless shelter.

I saw him the day before Christmas eve, in the same position, doing the same activity, looking at traffic whilst scribbling in his book and talking to himself. I really feel for the poor soul, as I have no idea about why is is where he is, what mental issues he deals with, whether he once had a family and a home and if he was a good or bad person during his life. I wish for him a more dignified end, at the winter of his life.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Do you ever offer to buy him a sandwich and drink or ask about how you can help him?

Maybe he doesn't want help?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MsRainbowBrite

Stheno wrote: »
    Do you ever offer to buy him a sandwich and drink or ask about how you can help him?

Maybe he doesn't want help?

Yes, I have of course and he didn't respond and looked through me vacantly or maybe didn't understand (Perhaps having whatever illness he may have) After that I left him be, as he doesnt beg and never seems distressed in any way. Yes, perhaps he doesn't want help, but no need to be a keyboard warrior. Why respond to my query at all, if you are unable to offer a helpful answer / simply wish to challenge someone for caring. How odd.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yes, I have of course and he didn't respond and looked through me vacantly or maybe didn't understand (Perhaps having whatever illness he may have) After that I left him be, as he doesnt beg and never seems distressed in any way. Yes, perhaps he doesn't want help, but no need to be a keyboard warrior. Why respond to my query at all, if you are unable to offer a helpful answer / simply wish to challenge someone for caring. How odd.

I was simply asking if you ever interacted with him, rather than taking to the internet to enquire about him.

Perhaps the man in question has chosen to live as he does? As it sounds like he has.

Sounds to me like you are just being nosey and intrusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

How do you know he's homeless?

How do you know he's homeless?

I have asked about him before to my work colleagues and someone told me he lives in the homeless shelter. It's not a fact but it does seem to be the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

My uncle and I were only talking about this tonight about how this happens. I'd imagine some of the stories would be interesting in a way.

A fella from my local village slept rough in Dublin and begging for a couple of years. He is a severe alcoholic but a very likeable person also. He has since moved home.

Anyway my point is that I'm sure some of the homeless people have lived normal lives for long periods and I suppose it's just a hard rut to get out of.

Stheno wrote: »
    I was simply asking if you ever interacted with him, rather than taking to the internet to enquire about him.

Perhaps the man in question has chosen to live as he does? As it sounds like he has.

Sounds to me like you are just being nosey and intrusive.

I certainly don't take to the Internet to argue with strangers. That is very bizarre to me. I am simply enquiring about someone on public forum that will reach people who may know who I am talking about. Then if it turns out there is something I can do to help, I would be delighted to do so. I'm glad I'm not so cynical to believe caring about strangers makes you nosey or intrusive. I dont feel the need to justify myself any further to you, nor do I wish to be of a type of person rowing with strangers online or picking holes in innocent posts. Goodnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

Msrainbowbrite. If more people were as thoughtfull as yourself the world would be a better place, concern can never be mistaken for being nosy. Ignore the troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

I certainly don't take to the Internet to argue with strangers. That is very bizarre to me. I am simply enquiring about someone on public forum that will reach people who may know who I am talking about. Then if it turns out there is something I can do to help, I would be delighted to do so. I'm glad I'm not so cynical to believe caring about strangers makes you nosey or intrusive. I dont feel the need to justify myself any further to you, nor do I wish to be of a type of person rowing with strangers online or picking holes in innocent posts. Goodnight.

I think it's very kind of you to be so concerned about this man
    Some people get to a point in their lives where despite the best efforts of many concerned parties, friends , families, government agencies such as the health board and SW, they just find that they are on a road that they are determined to keep walking on
    Years ago this man would have been committed to a psychiatric hospital against his will
    So he would have been safe warm dry and fed but completely zonked by heavy medication to keep him quiet
    We don't do that anymore
    Once again I want to say I admire your concern for a stranger, but don't beat yourself up
    He could have help if he wanted it
    Right now he wants to count the cars and make notes about traffic
    None of know how we'll end up

minterno wrote: »
    Msrainbowbrite. If more people were as thoughtfull as yourself the world would be a better place, concern can never be mistaken for being nosy. Ignore the troll

I have to say I don't post on boards, but often read topics of interest. I'd be hesitant to post, because there seems to be alot of users, who don't read the content of what a poster has said, but for whatever reason prefer to incite rows and pick holes, rather than help.

I was moved to post about this man, because having seen him look so old lately, got me thinking what a sad existence it is, whether chosen or not. I also know that alot of people in Dublin read boards and may encounter this man. No matter what keyboard Warriors say, I know I'm coming from a place of concern and not trying to be nosey or gossip. Sad that some people can get more enjoyment out of criticism than words of encouragement.

Thanks for your encouragement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

I know the man you are talking about - not personally but I've often seen him up near Cornmarket at all times of the day. There are usually a few men/youths around there that quite likely are waiting for the De Paul shelter to open but he is a good bit older than most and the only one that is regular enough I would recognise them. It's a wonder that he has managed to keep his few belongings in his suitcase and it's certainly a shame that he is living in a hostel - it's sad that any of them are finding themselves in that situation really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RealmOfFlames

The gentlemen that stands around Christchurch appears to have mental health issues and stay's in the nearby homeless shelter.

A colleague of mine had a chat with him while he had one of his notebooks out. The notebook contains what are meant to be license plate numbers and the suitcase contains the notebooks.

It is a shame that he is out there everyday but people are aware and he doesn't go hungry.

Advertisement