Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrian killed

Options
  • 03-01-2016 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭

Saw a report on newstalk website that a pedestrian was killed on Hartstown Road at 2.30am.

RIP

My sympathies are with the family involved.

Road is blocked off by Gardai so might be wise to avoid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Saw a report on newstalk website that a pedestrian was killed on Hartstown Road at 2.30am.

RIP

My sympathies are with the family involved.

Road is blocked off by Gardai so might be wise to avoid.

RIP. Tragic. Condolences to all affected.

Road has since reopened.

Male driver in his 20s has been arrested and charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Incidents on that road are far too common.

Condolences to the bereaved family and a speedy recovery to the injured woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Driver arrested under suspicion of drink driving apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Clair de Lune

Only a hundred yards from where a drunk driver killed himself and his friend in 2012. They need to put some ramps or something to sort out the idiots on that road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Horrible start to 2016 for a family

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

2 women in their 40's hit apparently, one died, the other is in serious condition...

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/one-pedestrian-killed-one-injured-in-early-morning-crash-34331665.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Only a hundred yards from where a drunk driver killed himself and his friend in 2012. They need to put some ramps or something to sort out the idiots on that road.

The idiots just need to stop drink driving and driving dangerously

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The road isn't to blame.

Crazy that people still drink drive. RIP to the woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

But it is that road. Every night there are boy racers flying up that road. The last crash where the 2 boys died, the next night there were speed races going on. It could easily have been one of those boyracer cars go out of control.

Personally i think that stretch of road is neglected by the powers to be. Every time there's a bout of rain, the footpaths flood, there's no speed bumps and that stretch could do with a pedestrian crossing maybe near the school/church.

Very sad to hear this has happened, heart goes out to the family of the woman who died and I hope that the woman in critical condition makes a speedy recovery.

It should be a wake up call. There's already too many trees in the area that have flowers by it and now there's another added to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Past the scene twice today, heart in the mouth with the marks on the grass.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Pulled up to the blocked road last night only after seeing ambulances and fire brigades pass me. Saw the car on the side of the road. Then the flowers today. Heartbreaking.

The noise of the racers on that road at night is unnerving.

You wont get speed bumps on a main bus route, nor should you have to.

This is about enforcement, pure and simple, frustration and erradication of the boy racer types. One offence, prosecution; two offences, car crushed.

The type of car involved in the incident - black 02 Civic V-TEC. Now theres a surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Grayditch wrote: »
    Pulled up to the blocked road last night only after seeing ambulances and fire brigades pass me. Saw the car on the side of the road. Then the flowers today. Heartbreaking.

The noise of the racers on that road at night is unnerving.

There has been an increase in racing around Dublin 15. Nearly got smashed by 3 cars racing yesterday morning at 9. The rain was torrential and the roads were awful!

Families have been left absolutely devastated by that accident on Saturday/Sunday morning! When are ppl going to wake up and drive the roads properly! This is not a lack of driving ability , its a lack of care or consideration for other road users! Needs to be tackled at theory test stage!

Rip to that poor woman and sincere condolences to her family at this awful time!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Think the driving standards around Dublin 15 need to be addressed, the Ongar Distributor Road, from the Power City roundabout all the way to Ongar is like a race track. Hardly ever see a Garda car on this road either, never mind a traffic corp car but we regularly get the speed van at various points along the Navan Road. Hope it wont but worried we may see more incidents like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The type of car involved in the incident - black 02 Civic V-TEC. Now theres a surprise.

RIP to the women who lost her life, awful event made worse by the start of the year, sad to think the person was just out enjoying there night. I hope the other girl recovers.

To be perfectly honest, I don' think you can blame the car. If this guy was drinking and driving I think that is the over riding factor in this incident. From the picture on Independent link posted above it was a Type-S, which is a fairly common stock car, but back to my point it could have been a Lada and we would have the same result, drink had a big factor in this.

While waiting on the bus this morning there was a car that sped past us. On the bus a few minutes later spotted gardai had pulled them over and were taking their details .

Good to see but it needs to be long term and not just reactionary in the short-term.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Stand at the Bus Stop beside the Topaz after 8pm and you'll more than likely see at least 3 cars shoot down that road at breaknecks speeds before you get your bus.

I don't know how they don't end up tearing into cars coming out of Cherryfield.

Anyway, RIP to the lady and condolences to her family. I hope for a full recovery for the other lady, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

There are speed cushions along a 1.4km stretch of Diswellstown Road in Carpenterstown. It is the 37 bus route.

A child was killed on Diswellstown Road a number of years ago. I think that that incident (a true accident rather than bad driver behaviour) moved the process along. For years people had been complaining about speeding cars along the road. Maybe this incident will have the same effect.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

daymobrew wrote: »
    There are speed cushions along a 1.4km stretch of Diswellstown Road in Carpenterstown. It is the 37 bus route.

A child was killed on Diswellstown Road a number of years ago. I think that that incident (a true accident rather than bad driver behaviour) moved the process along. For years people had been complaining about speeding cars along the road. Maybe this incident will have the same effect.

There are ramps on the road through Corduff, the one that goes from the roundabout at the IT around the back of the church/school then down past the park to the traffic lights. 38 and 220 use that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

That's not true, the 39 from Ongar goes by Clonsilla train station over at least 4 full size speed bumps as well as a mixture of those bus compatible speed ramps.
    Can't see why they can't put speed ramps on the road if required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

]this is what you need

This is about enforcement, pure and simple, frustration and erradication of the boy racer types. One offence, prosecution; two offences, car crushed.

unfortunately it just took one offence here and one girl was crushed, shocking. I mean what do you say to a family?? what's your defence as you're told you've violently ended a life?? shocking stuff

I know accidents happen, sometimes with fatal consequences but you can cut your chances by not behaving like an absolute PRICCK!!!!!!

TallGlass wrote: »

To be perfectly honest, I don' think you can blame the car. If this guy was drinking and driving I think that is the over riding factor in this incident. From the picture on Independent link posted above it was a Type-S, which is a fairly common stock car, but back to my point it could have been a Lada and we would have the same result, drink had a big factor in this.

Absolutely it could have been any vehicle, I just meant the make of car is typical of the type causing hassle in that area all the time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

You do get ramps on lots of bus routes unfortunately. (You should try the 120 as it goes through Cabra, speed bump central.)
    Certainly I agree that you shouldn't have to, but it seems to be the way of the world that we all have to suffer the speed ramps because a small number of numpties cant behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

There are ramps on the road through Corduff, the one that goes from the roundabout at the IT around the back of the church/school then down past the park to the traffic lights. 38 and 220 use that road.

Even with those ramps, a young lad was nearly killed in November on the Blackcourt road.

There is so many reasons for an accident that multiple factors are at play. My understanding is that the ladies got off the nitelink and tried to cross the road, and the car with the drunk driver came up the side of the bus.

Those young men will live the rest of their lives with the decision they made that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

My understanding is that the ladies got off the nitelink and tried to cross the road.

So so sad

Interesting alright , I heard they were coming from the hartstown but that makes sense.

Like I said, for a built up residential area with a primary school and shops and a petrol station.l, its disappointing that the stretch from the secondary school right down to the petrol station has no traffic lights or pedestrian crossings.

That along with improving the footpaths would go a long way.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

^There's a piece on The Journal says she was walking home from a local pub.

Would guards be appealing for witnesses if there was a bus load of people there when it happened? Doesn't matter, I suppose. It's the drunk driving is the issue regardless of circumstances.

Those young men will live the rest of their lives with the decision they made that night.

While walking around freely, hanging out with their mates, just about whatever they like.

• Advertisement

She's been named in that article, has the name been released to the public?

Heart goes out to the family, especially with her daughter working on a cruise ship. So sad.

Advertisement