Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrian killed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Well it's all over the internet today so yeah I'd reckon it's been released to the public.

Chucknorris, my understanding of the boy being knocked down in Corduff was that he hadn't used the pedestrian crossing provided mere meters away and he came out from between cars that were parked on the side of the road. Quite different to what happened here in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MrMaki

Can someone tell me what speed ramp will change in drunk driver behavior?

imho it will just more dangerous, as driver will loose control on the car much easier when he hit the ramp.

I don't want to be punished with a ramps, because of few boy racers who can't behave. Instead of spending money on ramps I would be delighted to see better policing, maybe some cctv system or a speed camera/s

on other note - what example does judge give to other drink driving idiots, when he release drunk murderer from jail, let him go free, to attend court sitting in a month time ?

maybe this issue should be addressed first, not the ramps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Nobody suggested the ramps were for drunk drivers. They meant for boy racers. And those aren't even mutually exclusive on that road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

It's the drunk driving is the issue regardless of circumstances.

It's not drunk driving that's the issue, it's drink driving you don't have to be drunk for the drink to impair your senses. So I think that term drunk driver is very misleading, when you say that it makes it sound like its okay to drink drive, just once your not drunk you'll be fine.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

TallGlass wrote: »
    It's not drunk driving that's the issue, it's drink driving you don't have to be drunk for the drink to impair your senses. So I think that term drunk driver is very misleading, when you say that it makes it sound like its okay to drink drive, just once your not drunk you'll be fine.

That's obviously not what I was implying. The fact that the i and the u are right beside each other on a keypad is something you might want to consider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Grayditch wrote: »
    Nobody suggested the ramps were for drunk drivers. They meant for boy racers. And those aren't even mutually exclusive on that road.

Ramps are a dumb idea, they'll just find somewhere else to race

someone else in another area getting knocked down and killed isn't really a solution

gctest50 wrote: »

someone else in another area getting knocked down and killed isn't really a solution

If it was the first incident of it's kind on a stretch of road you could maybe argue against a need for ramps. But it's not and according to people who live around there speeding and dangerous driving in general is an issue which needs to be resolved on that particular stretch.

What would you suggest, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Fixed speed cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Even with those ramps, a young lad was nearly killed in November on the Blackcourt road.

There is so many reasons for an accident that multiple factors are at play. My understanding is that the ladies got off the nitelink and tried to cross the road, and the car with the drunk driver came up the side of the bus.

Those young men will live the rest of their lives with the decision they made that night.

The 2 ladies were in the local pub and had left to walk home, they had crossed the road and were walking on the path when the driver mounted it and hit them and a tree. Pity it was the poor lady that was killed and not the gobshíte drunk driving

• Advertisement

They won't put a fixed camera there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

They won't put a fixed camera there.

It wouldn't last an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Ramps may well have avoided this girls death. Anybody who lives in the area has witnessed the speed freaks on many occasions on this stretch. In this instance, they were travelling from the Salmons direction. If they got green lights at the blakestown rd junction and the link road, they'd be fairly ripping along by the topaz bend. Ramps would have most likely prevented this speed buildup.

I hate them, but in this particular instance, they would definitely help curb the speed, in both directions. This stretch is no stranger to accidents / fatalities. The fact that "they will find somewhere else" has no bearing on the fact that the run would be made safer with the ramps. These speed scrotes typically have their autos of choice sitting as low to the concrete as possible, and as far as I can see, the speed aspect aside, they tend to look after them so I don't see how they'd risk ripping the box / underside out of them by hurtling over ramps.

Well, we've heard on this thread how speed bumps will (a): cause more drunk drivers to mount the paths and (b): just shift the deaths somewhere else.

I don't think either are logical points. Speed bumps are horrible looking. They're inconvenient to the majority of drivers, who don't abuse the road. But I don't see any realistic alternative at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

January wrote: »
    Well it's all over the internet today so yeah I'd reckon it's been released to the public.

Chucknorris, my understanding of the boy being knocked down in Corduff was that he hadn't used the pedestrian crossing provided mere meters away and he came out from between cars that were parked on the side of the road. Quite different to what happened here in my opinion.

The boy didn't used the pedestrian crossing 50 yards up the hill because he lives 100 yards down the hill, be that right or wrong or indifferent. The kid and many kids like him cross at the entrance to the park itself where there is no pedestrian lights.

If those cars are not blocking the line of sight, kids can cross the road safer with a clear view. The cars are an issue for adults never mind a kid who is far lower in height. The same issue occurred in the same spot Five years ago with a boy of similar age on his way to the football nursery.

The Hartstown road is a fast road and it needs to be slowed down. The response from the gardai is that the Blakestown road outside Peregrines was statistically more dangerous than the Hartstown road but that was due to a car full of young men drinking, that hit a side house and a few were killed. The Blakestown road has since had speed bumps installed and still the Gatso speed van picks the Blakestown road over the Hartstown road as more dangerous to warrant their speed bans to be placed there.

Whomever is compiling the stats on where to place Gatso vans is obviously a pen pusher.

I agree with a recent view that drink drivers will find a way to make all road safety initiatives useless but perhaps even a slight reduction in speed would have saved that ladies life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

FWIW Chuck, the Gatso on the Blakestown Road (outside the Briarwood stores) was mooted to be not there for speed catching. I was told this way back and thought "WTF ?"

But when you actually looked at the positioning of the van relative to the position of the last speed ramp before reaching the van, you would have had to pound the ramp in order to be over the limit. That got me thinking that perhaps it's function was to watch something other than cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Or simply be a deterrent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Trying to get out of topaz or eurospar there at the hartstown is a nightmare due to speed of cars! With busy bus stops and lights as well as cars coming out at the eurospar junction, the topaz and the church all within yards of each other AND an entrance to the a houzing estate on the opposite side its just not safe to drive that road fast! Its absolutely wreckless! It needs a ramp!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

Anyone heard how the woman who was critically injured is doing. Hoping she gets better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 W1zardst

What's the point in having speed bumps anywhere in the country then? Let's get rid of them all, as by your logic they only shift the problem around the place. Christ, your post is one of the dumbest posts I have ever read on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

@W1zardst, keep it civil please. Strong words from someone with 6 posts to their name

Another crash today in pretty much the same spot as the last accident. Happens at around 13:40, 6 car pile up. Garda, Fire Brigade and Ambulance crews still on scene, 1 lady getting taken from her car in a neck brace and back board

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

billie1b wrote: »
    Another crash today in pretty much the same spot as the last accident. Happens at around 13:40, 6 car pile up. Garda, Fire Brigade and Ambulance crews still on scene, 1 lady getting taken from her car in a neck brace and back board
    Oh no, that's dreadful!! Hopefully no one was seriously injured :(

billie1b wrote:

Hope all are okay, sounds like a bit of rubbernecking going on but could be wrong as the kids would be leaving the primary school at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

billie1b wrote: »

How the hell could 6 cars be involved in a pile up on that road?

Nothing surprises me with that road anymore.

It goes to show that in the current setup that road is too dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kranbo

I agree- the road can be deceiving if your traveling at speed. There been a few garden walls demolished over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think I'll start getting my petrol at Applegreen Clonsilla in future. Often found it dicey to make a right turn out of Topaz but now hearing all these stories/near misses that take place around there etc is really off putting.

Also, just to add my condolences to the poor victim's family and speedy recovery for her friend.

ongarboy wrote: »
    I think I'll start getting my petrol at Applegreen Clonsilla in future. Often found it dicey to make a right turn out of Topaz but now hearing all these stories/near misses that take place around there etc is really off putting.

Is that the one that gets held up every other week?

• Advertisement

Is that the one that gets held up every other week?

Yeah it is and with the cheap low grade petrol too

Advertisement