Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrian killed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

ongarboy wrote: »
    I think I'll start getting my petrol at Applegreen Clonsilla in future. Often found it dicey to make a right turn out of Topaz but now hearing all these stories/near misses that take place around there etc is really off putting.

Also, just to add my condolences to the poor victim's family and speedy recovery for her friend.

I pass by the Applegreen when I walk home from the train station and a lot of drivers don't even look when they're turning out of it. I've had a few close calls where drivers haven't indicated when they're turning in to the station. Combine that with how fast people drive on the Clonsilla Road and it's a miracle no one has been killed on that stretch.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Swan Curry wrote: »
    I pass by the Applegreen when I walk home from the train station and a lot of drivers don't even look when they're turning out of it. I've had a few close calls where drivers haven't indicated when they're turning in to the station. Combine that with how fast people drive on the Clonsilla Road and it's a miracle no one has been killed on that stretch.

What I find amazing is how many drivers when they approach a main road (As in are turning from a minor road onto the main road) look at the traffic coming in the direction the want to turn rather than at the traffic the have to cross.
    For example, they're turning right onto the main road so look to their left while edging out and only look to their right at the last minute. I don't know how many times I've nearly been into the front of someone because they're too busy looking the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

Collision at huntstown church. Emergency services at scene.

Its getting redicilous at this stage. Everyone in a hurry. Seriously people slow down and concentrate on the road.

Hopefully there are no injuries from this latest accident and if there are they're not major.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Another one? 3 in a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 W1zardst

Grayditch wrote: »
    Another one? 3 in a week?

I passed that one at Huntstown church this morning at around 9.50am, looked like there was a bus involved too. The front of the crashed car was completely destroyed but I didn't hear of any serious injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 W1zardst

Even this afternoon, on the day of Claire's funeral there was some fool tearing up the Hartstown road at about 60mph in a white mitsubishi type car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

The problem is with the mentality of young lads these days, especially in this area.

I'm personally sick and tired of the scrotes and pox-bottles blazing around everywhere in their sh!tboxes. It's time to grow up, drink driving is immature, stupid and dangerous. Racing around thinking you're class and deadly is also : immature, stupid and dangerous.

They've been groomed into a culture where it's "bleedn deadly goin round speedin ye bud ye" like absolute flutes. I'm 22 years of age, I drive a 04 Megane, it's nowhere NEAR sporty, it's nowhere NEAR fast, but I like it, it gets me from A to B. Why the majority of absolute goons my age in this area (live around Corduff) go on like they're fresh out of a Fast and Furious weekend marathon honestly astounds me. There's nothing "madt bro" about having to bury someone's friend, family member or loved one because you decide to act like a serious tosspot. The carry on just disgusts me and makes me ashamed to be thrown in the same age group and generation as them.

R.I.P to the poor woman and hope that the other recovers from being in critical condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Cllr David McGuinness put a poll on Facebook for anyone who wants to complete it

https://www.facebook.com/CllrMcGuinness/app/126231547426086/?app_data=%7B%7D

I don't live in Dublin 15 but my girlfriend lives in Carne Court so I do be out there a lot, there is a major issue with that road and imo speed cameras and speed ramps are the least that the road needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Cllr David McGuinness put a poll on Facebook for anyone who wants to complete it

https://www.facebook.com/CllrMcGuinness/app/126231547426086/?app_data=%7B%7D

I don't live in Dublin 15 but my girlfriend lives in Carne Court so I do be out there a lot, there is a major issue with that road and imo speed cameras and speed ramps are the least that the road needs.

I was out with him canvassing Hartstown and Huntstown yesterday and at least 50% of the doors said it was their number 1 issue. It's been going on years.

I live in Hartstown myself and the bottom line is, it needs to be slowed down as drivers cannot be trusted to drive responsibly.

The point of the questionnaire is to put it to officials on what exactly the locals want to see happen because not everyone appreciates speed bumps so a list of options is as fair as can be.

I made the point here last week that the Gardai and the Council had the discussion about the Hartstown road two and a half years ago. I was party to the meeting and sill no action has been taken but still the Blakestown road at Peregrines has a regular speed van. Madness.

There is no Garda presence on that road at any time.

I made the point here last week that the Gardai and the Council had the discussion about the Hartstown road two and a half years ago. I was party to the meeting and sill no action has been taken but still the Blakestown road at Peregrines has a regular speed van. Madness.

Instead of having two speed vans on the N3 at times, it would make much more sense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Instead of having two speed vans on the N3 at times, it would make much more sense!

Yeah, but with a lower volume of traffic they wouldn't make as much money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Yeah, but with a lower volume of traffic they wouldn't make as much money.

Unfortunately true - its revenue generating but the Hartstown road simply needs to be slowed down.

A questionnaire was sent out to people to get a consensus on what locals felt is best required to achieve better road safety. almost 1600 people have completed it so far.

What's interesting is, a year or two ago, locals would not entertain the idea of speed bumps but now people are casting their personal preference aside for the common good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Unfortunately true - its revenue generating but the Hartstown road simply needs to be slowed down.

A questionnaire was sent out to people to get a consensus on what locals felt is best required to achieve better road safety. almost 1600 people have completed it so far.

What's interesting is, a year or two ago, locals would not entertain the idea of speed bumps but now people are casting their personal preference aside for the common good.
    It'll happen; it simply has to at this stage. It's very unfortunate though that it takes multiple deaths / injuries for anything to be even given serious consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The NTA, who set the policy for things like traffic calming, no longer back ramps.

You might see some junctions being tightened, or raised t-junctions or raised pedestrian crossings where there are currently lights, but I wouldnt expect to see a full scheme of ramps on the Hartstown Road. What roads do you pick and choose for ramps or not, in that event? All main roads are potentially dangerous, you cant cater for drivers and/or pedestrians who are negligent/careless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The NTA, who set the policy for things like traffic calming, no longer back ramps.

You might see some junctions being tightened, or raised t-junctions or raised pedestrian crossings where there are currently lights, but I wouldnt expect to see a full scheme of ramps on the Hartstown Road. What roads do you pick and choose for ramps or not, in that event? All main roads are potentially dangerous, you cant cater for drivers and/or pedestrians who are negligent/careless.

It's a racetrack. They'll have to do something. Ramps would be the most effective measure (as much as I hate them)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

What roads do you pick and choose for ramps or not, in that event? All main roads are potentially dangerous, you cant cater for drivers and/or pedestrians who are negligent/careless.

First off, that's an unusual way to phrase things. You'd surely be cartering for the people that want to not die, rather than the careless drivers. Also have neglectful pedestrians been brought up as an issue?

Secondly. This isn't your average main road. I've lived beside quite a few.

There was a speed camera van just outside the entrance to Hartstown Park before Topaz this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There was a speed camera van just outside the entrance to Hartstown Park before Topaz this evening.

Better there where they can do some good, than on the N3 bothering people for doing 111 in a 100 zone.

Better there where they can do some good, than on the N3 bothering people for doing 111 in a 100 zone.

Speeding is speeding. You can't pick and choose where you follow the speed limits and then complain about Gardai not enforcing it somewhere else.

Speeding is speeding.
    Oh really? So you see no difference between someone illegally doing 110 on a dual carriageway and someone illegally doing 90 in a housing estate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Ridiculous them pulling in there @ 18:00.

No sign of them when the idiots are trying to kill people @ 02:30

Oh really? So you see no difference between someone illegally doing 110 on a dual carriageway and someone illegally doing 90 in a housing estate?

Nope. No difference.

Speed limits exist for a reason, wherever they are.

Also your comparison doesn't work unless the speed limit in the housing estate is 80. The road in question here isn't "in" a housing estate either.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Crazy how militant motorists get about their god-given right to drive their deathmobiles at whatever reckless speed they want.

Nope. No difference.

Also your comparison doesn't work
    It works to serve as a demonstration of how ridiculous your view is. Good luck living in your binary world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Nope. No difference.

Speed limits exist for a reason, wherever they are.

Also your comparison doesn't work unless the speed limit in the housing estate is 80. The road in question here isn't "in" a housing estate either.

Its an excellent comparison, it proves that speed vans on Motorways and National roads are for revenue generation. A person caught speeding on a motorway or national road is usually 1 or 2 tenths over the speed limit, so the N3 would mean between 100 and 120km per hour. The speed on the Hartstown road is crazy speeds like 80 and 90km per hour which is 6 to 8 tenths over the speed limit, thats the difference of hitting a pedestrian and them being killed.

It works to serve as a demonstration of how ridiculous your view is. Good luck living in your binary world.

My view that people should obey speed limits regardless of what or where they are is ridiculous?

Good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

From a numbers standpoint it is more efficient to have a speed trap on the N3 - high number of cars passing the van and quite likely to catch a good few speeders.

People speed *everywhere* but it is impossible to have speed traps everywhere. I agree that speed cameras on national roads, the safest roads around, appears silly but they are obviously catching a lot of speeders so those numbers cannot be argued with. You should contact Garda Traffic in Blanchardstown to ask them how they decide where to place speed cameras. It might be a well reasoned method.

I bet that many that complain about speeders speed themselves. I know a guy who complains about speeders and I was in his car as he did 80km/h in a 50km/h zone!

billie1b wrote: »
    Its an excellent comparison, it proves that speed vans on Motorways and National roads are for revenue generation. A person caught speeding on a motorway or national road is usually 1 or 2 tenths over the speed limit, so the N3 would mean between 100 and 120km per hour. The speed on the Hartstown road is crazy speeds like 80 and 90km per hour which is 6 to 8 tenths over the speed limit, thats the difference of hitting a pedestrian and them being killed.

That's not what I was asked. I was asked was there no difference between driving at an illegal speed on a motorway and driving at an illegal speed through a housing estate. There is no difference, both illegal.

Obviously driving 10 kph over the limit is different from driving 40-50 kph over it in that it's a smaller number but it's still over the speed limit therefore illegal therefore no difference.

Would it be okay if someone hit a pedestrian on the Hartstown Rd going 10 kph over the limit as opposed to 40? No. I don't think it would.

No difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Would it be okay if someone hit a pedestrian on the Hartstown Rd going 10 kph over the limit as opposed to 40? No. I don't think it would.

No difference.

There's a vast difference to the injuries one could sustain getting hit by a vehicle travelling at 60kmh as apposed to one travelling at 90kmh, in simplest terms it's the difference between a slap and a punch. To simply state that speeding is speeding is to offer an incredibly child like opinion of the real world.

• Advertisement

There's a vast difference to the injuries one could sustain getting hit by a vehicle travelling at 60kmh as apposed to one travelling at 90kmh, in simplest terms it's the difference between a slap and a punch. To simply state that speeding is speeding is to offer an incredibly child like opinion of the real world.

Okay then, if you have such a grown up view of the world tell me, in what circumstances is speeding not speeding? In what very grown up situation is going over the speed limit not going over the speed limit?

The relevance of the difference in injuries sustained makes no sense to me? If you're hit by a car that's speeding you've been hit by a car that's speeding. Are you saying if you were hit by a car going 60 kph you wouldn't really mind because it was only 10 kph over the speed limit? Hit you at 30 over the speed limit though and you'd be really annoyed!

Advertisement