Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry lips

Options
  • 03-01-2016 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Does anyone suffer from dry skin on their lips? Iv had it for years just dry patches on the bottom lip.Will only get flaky if I'm at it. I can never wear lipstick as it highlights the problem patches. Any solution ? Iv been using chapstick for the last few days and its no difference

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

ja1986 wrote: »
    Does anyone suffer from dry skin on their lips? Iv had it for years just dry patches on the bottom lip.Will only get flaky if I'm at it. I can never wear lipstick as it highlights the problem patches. Any solution ? Iv been using chapstick for the last few days and its no difference

I suffer with dry lips and have started using la roche posay cicaplast and find it great. It stays on the lips longer than the likes of vaseline as its a thicker balm type product. Think i paid around 6 euro but tube will last a good while as u only need to use a small bit each time

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

I dunno am I just meant to have this lip! It been like this since my teens I can never wear lipstick it's a first world problem! Il try that out thanks. Iv been scrubbing it with the toothbrush but its not helping ,as I said it's not flaky just dry patches .thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

I dunno am I just meant to have this lip! It been like this since my teens I can never wear lipstick it's a first world problem! Il try that out thanks. Iv been scrubbing it with the toothbrush but its not helping ,as I said it's not flaky just dry patches .thanks again

Yep I totally get u - wud love to have permanent smooth lips like u see in pics but mine never do, some days better than others. Ive heard elizabeth arden 8 hour cream is meant to b good for the lips aswell but think its a bit pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I have the same problem, I mix coconut oil and sugar to make a paste then I scrub it on my lips a few times a week. I wear a lot of red lipstick too and this always keeps it at bay for a few hours. Make sure your lipstick includes Shea butter as an ingredient, a lot of times certain lipsticks can dry your lips out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

You're probably dehydrated. First thing, start drinking more water and you should see the difference in a few days.

I'm a big fan of Elizabeth Arden eight hour cream - not the lipstick one, just the regular one in the tube. Great also for dry cuticles.

For something a bit fancier, Clarins do a lovely lip oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

i use 8 hour cream, love it.

wont go near vaseline now!!

Never even thought I was drying them out with the lipstick il have a look at that next time. Ya I drink a lot but not the recommended amount. New year's resolution 2ltr water !

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

I find Dr Paw Paw balm brilliant. I use the red tinted one but it's also available in clear and peach. It's about 8 euro and widely available in pharmacies.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 411

Whenever my lips get very dry I use the Lush Lip Scrub and then use Carmex straight after as well as using it daily. Carmex is the holy grail of lip balms for me anyway!

And does the dryness totally go? I'm going to make a homemade scrub and use that a few times a week with one of the products ye all mentioned.but would this ever get rid of the patches? This is what I'm dealing with I think it's called dry lips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Mine are similar to yours before I use the scrub. The dryness stays away for a few days but doesn't totally go unless I keep using the scrub or apply a lip balm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I'd definitely keep away from any petroleum based product, such as Vaseline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

I'm using carmex. Find it great also dab a little face serum on from time to time

Vasaline is a barrier therefore only sits on your lips does nothing for moisturising them imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

This probably sounds strange but I cured my chronic dry lips by changing my toothpaste to one from a health food shop. I also swear by la Roche Posay cicaplast lip balm. I noticed a difference in about 3 days and was cured within a week! Best of luck with whatever you try I can remember how frustrating it was!

Just an update guys. I had to buy carmalex as the chemist by me doesn't have a makeup section. So iv been using that for the last three days and I have exfoliated with brown sugar and honey the last two nights. My lips are totally different.I'm having no dry patches or flaking skin!! It's amazing. I am going to use this every day because I haven't put much on today and feel them drying up. So its an on going maintenance I presume! Thanks for all yer help x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

I find your lips can get too addicted to Carmex, I would really recommend Nuxe (Reve de Miel), it's the best thing I've used and I've used them all (8 hour creme included)

Ya I know what u mean by addictive they feel very dry if I don't use it all the time. Iv actually never noticed them this dry maybe because I'm thinking about it all the time !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I've found Blistex Relief Cream the best. Especially if you put it on overnight it really works wonders by time you wake up in morning. But use it throughout the day too. Even over lipstick as it gives it a little shine/keeps them moisturised too.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Mitzy

I suffer a lot and have used all the lip balms. The best one I have found is Burt's Bees. Just use the original one. The tinted ones are not as good. Been using it for the past 18 months and have not had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

My lips would be drier and flakier than yours...permanently. I drink 2+ litres pretty much every day and eat a high fat diet. I guess I'm just genetically blessed :rolleyes: I've tried everything and rate:
    Elisabeth Arden 8 hour cream (4*),
    Nuxe (3.5*)
    ...and my secret fave...drumroll..preparation H cream(4.5*) (more commonly used, ahem, down below...)...may be best to deposit a bit of this cream in a small sampler jar rather than whip out the tube in public :)

• Advertisement

My lips would be drier and flakier than yours...permanently. I drink 2+ litres pretty much every day and eat a high fat diet. I guess I'm just genetically blessed :rolleyes: I've tried everything and rate:
    Elisabeth Arden 8 hour cream (4*),
    Nuxe (3.5*)
    ...and my secret fave...drumroll..preparation H cream(4.5*) (more commonly used, ahem, down below...)...may be best to deposit a bit of this cream in a small sampler jar rather than whip out the tube in public :)

Hahaha! Il pick some up tomorrow.I'm not great with drinking that much water I know it's good for us but I'm 6 months pregnant and don't want to add another 20 trips to the loo ! I woke this morning and smiled at the small one and my bottom lip just cracked so bad in the middle .must have dried severely in my sleep. I wonder is there like a chemical peel for lips. I totally made that up but I would just love a new skin on them !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

I have the same problem! I use Carmex but I don't understand the hype, it moisturises my lips for a few minutes but doesn't do anything in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

rougegal wrote: »
    I find Dr Paw Paw balm brilliant. I use the red tinted one but it's also available in clear and peach. It's about 8 euro and widely available in pharmacies.

I love the dr paw paw, it's seriously amazing stuff. It doubles as a fab hand cream too. I've never loved any moisturiser more . I use the yellow one .

Advertisement