Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First set of weights

Options
  • 03-01-2016 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I am currently in school and do not have time to go to my local gym due to my studies. I was thinking of buying a small weight set to use at home during the week for circuits. I have a budget of €130 and the max weight I am looking for is 70kg. I was thinking of getting one of the sets in Argos that are €90 at the moment and then getting a a 4x5kg plate set from Argos as well. Also what is the difference between vinyl and cast iron?

Comments

I presume this is the €90 set you're talking about?

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9003204/Trail/searchtext%3EWEIGHTS.htm

If you have around €130 to spend, would it make more sense to get this instead?

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3237461/Trail/searchtext%3EWEIGHTS.htm

It's only 5kg lighter, but you get a bench with it, which would be a good thing to have (assuming you've the space for it).

The difference between vinyl and cast iron is how densely packed they are, pretty much. A vinyl plate is, i believe, concrete inside a plastic casing? A cast iron plate is cast iron. The noticeable difference is that a 5k vinyl plate is about 2 times the width of a 5kg cast iron plate.

So effectively, with cast iron plates, you can fit more weight on the bar (as the plates themselves are thinner).

The downside to cast iron is the noise they make when you're moving them around.

Really, though, unless you're gonna be lifting fairly heavy fairly fast, I wouldn't be worried about getting cast iron. Vinyl plates will do you for a while, and, in the event that you start to run out of space on the bar, you can always pick up cast iron at a later date (that'd be my personal approach, anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 7 GalacticoFC

Yes those are the weights I was looking at and no I don't have room for a bench sorry. Currently my maxes are 140kg for squat, 80kg for bench and 145kg for deadlift. I wouldn't be doing a lot of chest with it, mainly rows, shoulders, arms, squat, clean, deadlifts at high reps (20+, marathon reps like). I would be doing chest via weighted push-up. Again this is only a small thing to do for a 20-30 minute circuit while I'm at home and don't have time for the gym.

Advertisement