Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY eJuice thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

chipfox wrote: »
    Never tried any darkstar brand but would love a review. Custards are my #1 favourite

I'm a sucker for custards! I'll give the low-down in the coming weeks ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Interesting... 10ml is only £1 on chefsvapour too. I looked up FW and they don't seem to get great reviews apart from cake yellow, hazelnut and blood orange.

Probably still going to order it, most of what I vape is probably pure acetoin and diacetyl anyway. I find the vaping community (at least on reddit) are too quick to get the pitchforks out. I don't know how much fructose is in these juices but I'm guessing it's tiny. If it gunks coils as bad as people say I'll probably not use it anyway.

Trust me, I don't give a monkey's about "nasties" lol ... but coil gunking is another thing. Cake yellow is known to gunk them up pretty quick. that's what turned me off, not the sugar, jaysis, I love sugar! :D

Blueberry is one I have found tough - FW's is WAY too potent and synthetic, it's like an overly sweetened fake blueberry sweet - but, in very small doses it can add a little blue 'pop' to a mix. Blueberry wild as the Fox suggested, is not bad. Still not one I'd over buy, still finding it tricky to blend in well with other fruits. I hear Inawera Bilberry is pretty good.

I've eaten blueberries, I love them! they're like mild, sweet grapes. None of the blueberry juices I've tried to date have given me that. I don't know why they find it so hard to nail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭chipfox

It's a pound I have to get it... I can just burn off the gunk when I rewick... Is it really that bad?

God damn chefsvapour are annoying they're always out of so much stuff. I just can't justify picknmix prices...

Go for it then! lol

never mind all that cotton

:/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭j26m

Darkstar are now doing 100ml nic. The smallest used to be 250ml. Handy for storage.

• Advertisement

MY first 100ml lasted me 4 months and I used more of it then, and it was 50/54mg. It's fairly cheap anyway, you don't save much by going big. I see on forums people buying 5l at a time and freezing it, it's madness.

MY first 100ml lasted me 4 months and I used more of it then, and it was 50/54mg. It's fairly cheap anyway, you don't save much by going big. I see on forums people buying 5l at a time and freezing it, it's madness.

I picked up one for now and 2 for the freezer just in case the TPD shuts it all down- that should enough see me through the next year or two, by which stage I should be off nic altogether.

yeah no harm to have some nic stashed away. It's going to get mega-pricey.

My inawera concentrates arrived this morn, all fruities, bar the biscuit.

Bit disappointed about the banana, it smells like sweets, where I wanted fresh and fruity. It smells good, but it's the opposite of what i expected. I really should have done more research on that. The Raspberry definitely smells much more what i was after, didn't like Cap's at all. The blackcurrant, pineapple and strawberry smell as expected too. And biscuit is, well, biscuit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭IRISH OS1R1S

yeah no harm to have some nic stashed away. It's going to get mega-pricey.

My inawera concentrates arrived this morn, all fruities, bar the biscuit.

Bit disappointed about the banana, it smells like sweets, where I wanted fresh and fruity. It smells good, but it's the opposite of what i expected. I really should have done more research on that. The Raspberry definitely smells much more what i was after, didn't like Cap's at all. The blackcurrant, pineapple and strawberry smell as expected too. And biscuit is, well, biscuit :D

I thought the complete opposite, I love the banana, the cocopilada is really good too.

We'll see, I've done my first mix using the banana. It's not that I don't like the smell of it, I just expected more fruity less sweet maybe. When you get that initial scent it can throw you off a bit then.

Mixed up what I am calling Red Minion Pie:

http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/620078/Red+Minion+Pie

Will test on the go, it'll want a good 2 weeks though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Shinobollo

Right - Nic/vg/pg/concentrates ordered.
    Time to get all the bits and pieces.

Where do ye buy your bottles -
    10/30/50/100 ml for juice (plastic probably - hate glass dripping bottles) ?
    100ml glass for Nic ?
    Is Amber glass the best option for Nic ?

Any suggestions for a reasonably priced weighing scales ?

I have a few small syringes and pipette yokeys. Apart from gloves is there anything else I need ?

Thanks a mill

Shinobollo wrote: »

100ml glass for Nic ?
    I just got some bottles from thebestshop.eu - not too expensive, and they're grand.
    There's also fasttech.

My Nic is in plastic bottles, I don't have it around long enough to be concerned about storage life. But ... If I stock up on some over the next few months, then I hear Amber glass is the best way for long term storage or freezing.

I have bought bottles on a few sites, I mostly buy 30ml unicorn, and 50 and 100ml dripper tops. Just white plastic. The ones from Pick 'n' Mix are actually a bit tougher, or seem to be, than the most recent ones I got from e-aromashop. Watch out for offers on 5-packs. There are better sites I'm sure. I see ibottles being bandied about. never tried them though.

I got a cheap pocket scales on ebay for €6, it does the job. I've calibrated it, and it will do 0.01g/300g and that's plenty enough for my mixing. The 0.01g end is the more important, you'll come across scales that will weigh heavier items, but they will only go down to 0.1g, no good for mixing small batches.

Look out for narrow funnels, can be handy for mixing larger batches and decanting into smaller bottles. Other than that ... plenty of kitchen roll, some small plastic bowls [for cleaning out syringes] - a comfy area where you can get organised, that has good lighting.

Shinobollo wrote: »
    Right - Nic/vg/pg/concentrates ordered.
    Time to get all the bits and pieces.

100ml glass for Nic ?

Fasttech is your man there. Glass amber bottles, think they only go up to 50ml.

Their 50ml plastic bottles (come in a 5 pack) are top notch.

From what I am reading, amber is the best to go with in regards the nic.

My nic is coming in 3 x 100ml plastic bottles - would they be okay in the freezer for up to a year, or should I transfer to amber glass?

j26m wrote: »
    My nic is coming in 3 x 100ml plastic bottles - would they be okay in the freezer for up to a year, or should I transfer to amber glass?

Here's a little info from piratesvape :

What to store it in?

Nicotine base should be stored in dark amber glass bottles to stop UV degradation and potential chemical leaching caused by plastic bottles.

I have 350ml on the way and I'm going to transfer all into amber glass bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Shinobollo

Thanks for all the replies. I have 1 litre of Nic on the way so I'll buy some Amber glass to split it up and think I'll go for unicorn bottles for my mixes.
    Good tip on the scales Cagey lad.
    Thanks again everyone
    Shino

Depends on how long you think it'll last you? Nicotine doesn't actually freeze, nor dose VG/PG, so once you can stick them in a freezer where no kids will get near it. why not do it with 2 of the bottles anyway. I'm pretty sure it's fine in plastic, unless you plan to 'freeze' it for over a year

That whole thing about plastic bottles leeching or causing issue would only be a concern for well over a year's storage. And even then I think it's a load of hoo-ha. I worked in a chemical plant for 8 years, we had all kinds of chemicals in both Amber glass bottles and plastic drums. Some of them we were only using tiny amounts per week, so they were there years. Of course ... that wasn't for inhalation, but I think you're fine unless you're planning for years ahead

Depends on how long you think it'll last you? Nicotine doesn't actually freeze, not dose VG/PG, so once you can stick them in a freezer where no kids will get near it. why not do it with 2 of the bottles anyway. I'm pretty sure it's fine in plastic, unless you plan to 'freeze' it for over a year

I reckon I have about a year and a half supply in that and what I have already (25,000mg @ 50mg a day = 500 days) - more if I drop my nic intake, which is the plan. So maybe up to a year and a half freezing.

Better off with Amber bottles then it that case sure. Shouldn't cost much to get a few 100ml bottles. I would bubble wrap them and put them in a boy marked danger or something, and shove in to the back of the freezer. Just in case the kids are rooting around for frozen drinks during the summer!

• Advertisement

Just had a quick scan about on some sites, found this -

http://www.unicornaroma.ie/43-bottles-and-jars

Doesn't work out bad if you're buying a few 100ml bottles [make sure to select the caps to suit]

€4.50 postage, but you'll get them pretty quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Hey guys, looking for a few tips please.
    I'm going to invest in some mixing supplies next week and just wondering where everyone is ordering their stuff.
    Ideally I'd be mixing 100ml of 3mg 70vg 30pg which should last me 2 weeks or maybe a little longer. I'm not sure should I buy the pg/vg separate along with the nic or should I buy it all premixed and just get a load of concentrates.
    So any advice appreciated, I looked back a few pages in the thread but couldn't find anything so apologies if my questions have been answered.

Just had a quick scan about on some sites, found this -

http://www.unicornaroma.ie/43-bottles-and-jars

Doesn't work out bad if you're buying a few 100ml bottles [make sure to select the caps to suit]

€4.50 postage, but you'll get them pretty quick.

Would blue bottles do? I have a few I got from picknmix, but I don't like them for mixing.

corsav6 wrote: »
    I'm going to invest in some mixing supplies next week and just wondering where everyone is ordering their stuff.
    Ideally I'd be mixing 100ml of 3mg 70vg 30pg which should last me 2 weeks or maybe a little longer. I'm not sure should I buy the pg/vg separate along with the nic or should I buy it all premixed and just get a load of concentrates.
    So any advice appreciated, I looked back a few pages in the thread but couldn't find anything so apologies if my questions have been answered.

I went with pre-mixed bases for a while and it worked out great as an entry into diy mixing but then I tried buying the nic, vg/pg separately and in my opinion, you save way more by buying separately and mixing it yourself. It's always more fun when you make it from scratch (ish!).

My usual online shop was bargain vapour or pickamixdiy (pickamix have a great starter kit for 34 euro!). My last order was from Darkstar due to the incredible prices but you need parcel motel or address pal because they don't ship to Ireland.

I would bring forward your plans in relation to the nicotine, the EU directive was published today and it doesn't look great :o

Darkstar seems to be the place to go.
    If you get 100ml of 72mg nicotine, it will make 2.4 litres at your desired strength, so you can buy VG and PG to make it up to that. If you buy a few 100ml bottles you can make it up in batches. It's easy to do - even I can manage it.

Should cost less than 50 quid in total, before flavours are factored in.

Afaik, Amber is best, blue isn't bad and green is only slightly better than clear. So, 'cobalt' blue bottles are better than green at least. Should be fine

When I started, which isn't long ago at all, I asked a bunch of questions in this very thread. So if you have time and patience, flick through it from page 2 on

I got my first kit from pick'n'mix - I didn't go for their set package, I just picked what i wanted to start with separately. Buy the nic separate, I was going to buy pre-mix base, but honestly, nic is easy enough deal with. Jut get some gloves for added security. I always add the nic to my mixes first, so then I can just put it right away. Nothing else is any cause for concern. read though this thread, and look up some youtube vids on mixing, like these:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFoe3PEb1_7sAY1ZgehNP3A
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxsotC6eyf7ahIFI0eH54fA

I think it's more important to keep it in a stable environment rather than just having it very very cold. Head space in a bottle is something you want to avoid too. Oxygen is the real enemy, but UV light is bad too.

Storing it in a freezer and letting it warm up / cool down over and over is arguably worse than just leaving it sit in a dark cupboard in a LDPE bottle. I just keep my stuff in LDPE bottles and they're completely full without any air bubbles. I have a 40ml amber vial that I refill whenever it's empty.

There isn't much point going too mad over it. A years supply of nicotine probably costs the same as 3 packs of smokes.

@corsav6 I'd say go with whatever you think is easiest, as long as you get into it it won't really matter. All the DIY eJuice calculators online make it fool proof. It's just a matter of adding what the calculator tells you and you have your juice. Buying the stuff separately is cheaper. Always buy more VG than PG though. All my mixes are 50/50 PG/VG but generally nicotine and flavourings are mostly just PG juice so you need less of it

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll just buy separate and stock up for a year or 2 if I can manage. I don't want to be caught out with that silly EU directive.
    I'll probably just check the recipe for my favourite juices online and order the concentrates plus some extra to try new juices. I'm a massive cinnamon fan and I fell in love with Dr Bill's cinnatoast munch so wouldn't mind mixing some of that along with Teleos remixed chewy.
    So next week I'll budget 70 euro and see what I'll get. Hoping to get 8-12 months out of that.
    Thanks again guys :)

Best of luck ...

Keeping it to €70 :D

It becomes as addictive as buying shinies!

But you'll make loads of juice with that for sure.

• Advertisement

Best of luck ...

Keeping it to €70 :D

It becomes as addictive as buying shinies!

But you'll make loads of juice with that for sure.

€70 initially, obviously I'll need a different juice for each tank and dripper and not forgetting extra flavours so I have an excuse to buy more tanks and drippers :D:D

Just had a look at a few sites there and €70 should more than cover me for a couple of months of experimenting. I'll most likely buy large quantities in 2 months, or sooner if things look like they might become hard to get.

Advertisement