Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY eJuice thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Anybody have any TFA recipes they would like to share?

Im putting in a bit of an order with darkstar and looking for ideas so I know what to order what I can use up.

Their Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and Toasted Marshmallow are both excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭stuartmurphy87

Trond wrote: »
    Their Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and Toasted Marshmallow are both excellent.

They sound good. Are they good on their own or as part of a recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

They sound good. Are they good on their own or as part of a recipe?

I tend to use them to make most of the desert or custard type juices I make. I'll throw a few recipes up later when I'm at home.

Trond wrote: »
    I tend to use them to make most of the desert or custard type juices I make. I'll throw a few recipes up later when I'm at home.

That would be brilliant if you could, thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I don't have one recipe that only has TFA in the mix, but I use their concentrates in almost every mix. Some of their flavours are must haves, where they really lack 'bite' in many others. Trial and error over time to find the better ones really. I would recommend these as essential TFA/TPA concentrates:

Cheesecake Graham crust
    Greek yogurt
    Banana cream
    Bavarian cream
    Vanilla bean ice cream
    Blueberry wild
    Juicy peach
    Butterscotch

I don't really rate any of their sweeteners, better to get some FlavorArt marshmallow or meringue, you'd only use up to 1% per mix so they last ages, well worth it.

You can simply make up recipes just with that lot on the spot [take note of anything you mix though, you never know when it'll be that 'gem']

Say:

Cheesecake Graham crust - 3%
    Bavarian cream - 2%
    Banana cream - 4%
    Vanilla bean ice cream - 2%
    Marshmallow 1%

Bingo! you have a lovely banana cheesecake - it'll need at least a few day's steep but I know it's delicious as I've mixed this every now and then when stuck for ideas

• Advertisement

I don't have one recipe that only has TFA in the mix, but I use their concentrates in almost every mix. Some of their flavours are must haves, where they really lack 'bite' in many others. Trial and error over time to find the better ones really. I would recommend these as essential TFA/TPA concentrates:

Cheesecake Graham crust
    Greek yogurt
    Banana cream
    Bavarian cream
    Vanilla bean ice cream
    Blueberry wild
    Juicy peach
    Butterscotch

I don't really rate any of their sweeteners, better to get some FlavorArt marshmallow or meringue, you'd only use up to 1% per mix so they last ages, well worth it.

You can simply make up recipes just with that lot on the spot [take note of anything you mix though, you never know when it'll be that 'gem']

Say:

Cheesecake Graham crust - 3%
    Bavarian cream - 2%
    Banana cream - 4%
    Vanilla bean ice cream - 2%
    Marshmallow 1%

Bingo! you have a lovely banana cheesecake - it'll need at least a few day's steep but I know it's delicious as I've mixed this every now and then when stuck for ideas

Thank you, thats a great help. That sounds ideal for me. Is that recipe all tfa and just flavourart marshmallow?

Thank you, thats a great help. That sounds ideal for me. Is that recipe all tfa and just flavourart marshmallow?

If you are ordering from DarkStar, their 'Dark Arts' range is FlavorArt re-labelled, just remembered this! So this: https://www.darkstarvapour.co.uk/marshmallow-dark-arts is essentially FA marshmallow, and I think it's covered under the DS35 code along with TFA concentrates

You can use TFA marshmallow of course, FA's is just nicer, it smells like flogs! remember those? :D

DQd47caXUAALB8g.jpg

Just checked, it is indeed covered by the DS35 voucher code. If my brain fog wasn't high today I'd have remembered that I posted on here not long ago about just this, DarkArts = re-labelled FA, and you won't find it better value than at DS. They just have very limited flavors from the FA range and the names are slightly different but obvious

Just checked, it is indeed covered by the DS35 voucher code. If my brain fog wasn't high today I'd have remembered that I posted on here not long ago about just this, DarkArts = re-labelled FA, and you won't find it better value than at DS. They just have very limited flavors from the FA range and the names are slightly different but obvious

Sounds good to me. I was gonna use that code for the tfa stuff anywsy but good to know it covers dark arts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭chipfox

don't know if anybody would be mad into it but i can't get enough of TPA's pistachio. i saw it mentioned somewhere for tobacco mixes and i literally can't get enough of it. i'm already out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

chipfox wrote: »
    don't know if anybody would be mad into it but i can't get enough of TPA's pistachio. i saw it mentioned somewhere for tobacco mixes and i literally can't get enough of it. i'm already out

Dont tell me you found the impossible as a daily vape,the holy grail :eek:

Probably a stupid question but is there much difference in tfa graham cracker and graham crust (cheesecake)?

Probably a stupid question but is there much difference in tfa graham cracker and graham crust (cheesecake)?

Graham cracker is just the biscuit part, it's a bit like wafer we'd use for ice cream in flavour, but Graham cracker is harder. Cheesecake Graham crust includes the [non flavoured] creamy cheesecake part, I find it better for most mixes as it adds more 'body', and I have yet to find a fruit flavoring that doesn't play nicely with it. If you prefer lighter mixes, but still want the biscuit/cracker backing, then graham cracker might be better for you. I use both, depending. If you were adding 2-3 other creams graham cracker is better.

Graham cracker is just the biscuit part, it's a bit like wafer we'd use for ice cream in flavour, but Graham cracker is harder. Cheesecake Graham crust includes the [non flavoured] creamy cheesecake part, I find it better for most mixes as it adds more 'body', and I have yet to find a fruit flavoring that doesn't play nicely with it. If you prefer lighter mixes, but still want the biscuit/cracker backing, then graham cracker might be better for you. I use both, depending. If you were adding 2-3 other creams graham cracker is better.

Thanks for the info. I have been using graham cracker in my first dabble with diy. The couple of recipes i re created stated crust but i had bought cracker so thought id wing it.
    Tasted ok tbf. Think i will re order crust instead this time.

Couldnt find much i liked from the 4 or 5 recipes i tried bar a rice crunchies one i love (tastes like bowl of riceacles) and a banana candy one the missus uses.

Putting in an order for more supplies this week.
    I didnt order many fruit flavours first time round which i think was a mistake.

I really like the tfa raspberry sweet i got but most recipes i put it in just werent great as i tried combing it with few creams but wasnt sure on % ratio to use.

Thanks for the info. I have been using graham cracker in my first dabble with diy. The couple of recipes i re created stated crust but i had bought cracker so thought id wing it.
    Tasted ok tbf. Think i will re order crust instead this time.

Couldnt find much i liked from the 4 or 5 recipes i tried bar a rice crunchies one i love (tastes like bowl of riceacles) and a banana candy one the missus uses.

Putting in an order for more supplies this week.
    I didnt order many fruit flavours first time round which i think was a mistake.

I really like the tfa raspberry sweet i got but most recipes i put it in just werent great as i tried combing it with few creams but wasnt sure on % ratio to use.

3-4% Graham crust, 2% Bavarian cream and 4-5% of any fruit will make a tasty enough mix. It's trial and error when going beyond that tbh, after some time you just know precisely what % of each concentrate to use.

Ones I would avoid:

Sweet scream - should be named sweat cream, it smells like old socks and dulls other flavourings, nothing sweet about it.

Black cherry: extremely potent, I could never get it to work, reminded me of strong cough syrup :/

Fruit circles: some love it, but to me it tasted like you'd imagine Pledge lemon polish tastes, very strong, drowns out other weaker flavours, if you see recipes inc this, be very wary. I would rather use ANY light lemon flavouring instead

Koolada: Vile stuff IMO, it supposedly adds a 'cooling' effect without actually being menthol, let me tell you what it actually does in my experience - seperates itself from other flavours giving a strange, dual mix sensation, like it'll add that 'cooling' but almost as if it's separate to the rest of the mix. Avoid. Use an actual menthol instead.

If I think of any others I'll post, I learned the hard way on these, wouldn't wish them on anyone :D

3-4% Graham crust, 2% Bavarian cream and 4-5% of any fruit will make a tasty enough mix. It's trial and error when going beyond that tbh, after some time you just know precisely what % of each concentrate to use.

Ones I would avoid:

Sweet scream - should be named sweat cream, it smells like old socks and dulls other flavourings, nothing sweet about it.

Black cherry: extremely potent, I could never get it to work, reminded me of strong cough syrup :/

Fruit circles: some love it, but to me it tasted like you'd imagine Pledge lemon polish tastes, very strong, drowns out other weaker flavours, if you see recipes inc this, be very wary. I would rather use ANY light lemon flavouring instead

Koolada: Vile stuff IMO, it supposedly adds a 'cooling' effect without actually being menthol, let me tell you what it actually does in my experience - seperates itself from other flavours giving a strange, dual mix sensation, like it'll add that 'cooling' but almost as if it's separate to the rest of the mix. Avoid. Use an actual menthol instead.

If I think of any others I'll post, I learned the hard way on these, wouldn't wish them on anyone :D

Yeah i did buy black cherry but i tried it in a mix and it was vile so im afraid to go near it now lol.

Just want to find 2 or 3 nice mixes that i can make up and steep to have there so im not short of liquid while doing the whole trial and error phase.

Anything sweet and fruity or cereal/cake kind of flavours and im happy its just getting something that works is hard and most of the tfa recipes I find online are bland as anything.

Yeah i did buy black cherry but i tried it in a mix and it was vile so im afraid to go near it now lol.

Just want to find 2 or 3 nice mixes that i can make up and steep to have there so im not short of liquid while doing the whole trial and error phase.

Anything sweet and fruity or cereal/cake kind of flavours and im happy its just getting something that works is hard and most of the tfa recipes I find online are bland as anything.

I didn't initially share this one as you were after TFA only, but this is my own personal best recipe, it tends to go down very well with anyone who tries it:

http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/499838/Long%20gone%20day

You can get all the concentrates needed on pick'n'mix http://picknmixdiy.com/index.php?route=common/home

If you're doing your DS order and already have the CCGC, Greek Yogurt and VBIC, then it's just the peaches and cream and tropical mango you'll need, I'd suggest grabbing a bunc of their 100mm bottles too, the only ones I use nowadays http://picknmixdiy.com/100ml-hdpe-dropper-bottle-picknmixdiy-wexford-vaping-ireland

So easy to mix in those bottles, and they are perfectly re-usable with a good rinse out

I didn't initially share this one as you were after TFA only, but this is my own personal best recipe, it tends to go down very well with anyone who tries it:

http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/499838/Long%20gone%20day

You can get all the concentrates needed on pick'n'mix http://picknmixdiy.com/index.php?route=common/home

If you're doing your DS order and already have the CCGC, Greek Yogurt and VBIC, then it's just the peaches and cream and tropical mango you'll need, I'd suggest grabbing a bunc of their 100mm bottles too, the only ones I use nowadays http://picknmixdiy.com/100ml-hdpe-dropper-bottle-picknmixdiy-wexford-vaping-ireland

So easy to mix in those bottles, and they are perfectly re-usable with a good rinse out

Thanks a mill for sharing that. Sounds epic.

I will pick up the flavourings to make that for sure.

Would i be ok to use tfa mango instead of mollinberry?

And I dont see the CAP Peaches and cream on darkstar. Only see 10ml on picknmix for 4 quid. Is there anywhere that does it in bigger amounts or anything else i could use? If not ill go with it because it sounds like a winner.

Thanks a mill for sharing that. Sounds epic.

I will pick up the flavourings to make that for sure.

Would i be ok to use tfa mango instead of mollinberry?

And I dont see the CAP Peaches and cream on darkstar. Only see 10ml on picknmix for 4 quid. Is there anywhere that does it in bigger amounts or anything else i could use? If not ill go with it because it sounds like a winner.

That's the dillema I face every time I need to top up for it, but tbh, there's no proper replacement for the Molinberry mango or the Cap peaches and cream. I have suggested to people who asked on E-LR that they would be fine with other variants, but you won't be getting what I had in mind to begin with, you'll be close, but no cigar type thing. Just try it one time with the suggested concentrates, I promise you will not regret it. I know it's a pain, seeing as you can get larger amounts cheaper, but at 10mm of peaches and cream and 10ml Molinberry tropical mango you can mix 250ml of Long gone day official. You're saving on the other concentrates. I have tried other peaches and mangos when I ran short, but always felt like it just wasn't the same. The molinberry tropical mango is more subtle, less in your face than other mangos for one, and Capella peaches and cream is what you will find in any 'premium juice' with peach flavoring usually, it's one of the better peaches out there. TFA Juicy peach is close, but doesn't have that creaminess.

That's the dillema I face every time I need to top up for it, but tbh, there's no proper replacement for the Molinberry mango or the Cap peaches and cream. I have suggested to people who asked on E-LR that they would be fine with other variants, but you won't be getting what I had in mind to begin with, you'll be close, but no cigar type thing. Just try it one time with the suggested concentrates, I promise you will not regret it. I know it's a pain, seeing as you can get larger amounts cheaper, but at 10mm you can mix 250ml of Long gone day official. You're saving on the other concentrates.

Yeah thats exactly what im thinking.
    Ill bite the bullet and get them. Dont mind spending if its that good. Im gonna be saving a fortune diying anyway compared to paying 20 for 60ml of "premium" liquid.

• Advertisement

I usually tell people 'look, if you don't like the sound of it, don't waste time mixing it' - BUT, with my Long Gone Day, I say "if you try it and don't like it, have your taste buds removed!" :D not really, but it is the one mix of mine that I stand by 1000% you will not be sorry, that is a fact.

I usually tell people 'look, if you don't like the sound of it, don't waste time mixing it' - BUT, with my Long Gone Day, I say "if you try it and don't like it, have your taste buds removed!" :D not really, but it is the one mix of mine that I stand by 1000% you will not be sorry, that is a fact.

Thats good enough for me. I will have to try your mango madness as well.

I can get both cap flavours for it with my ds order which is bonus.

Thats good enough for me. I will have to try your mango madness as well.

I can get both cap flavours for it with my ds order which is bonus.

Mango madness turned out great, it was pretty much a 'what do I have here' mix, Cap sweet mango is very, very different to the Molinberry one, I'd never criss-cross them, you'll realise this soon as you get them and smell them. Cap sweet mango is like .... if you have ever had a Solero mango? well, Cap sweet mango is that in spades! whereas the Molinberry one is very light, more a backdrop flavor, but shines through over time. The Cap sweet is like BOOM! hello Mango! :D

Mango madness turned out great, it was pretty much a 'what do I have here' mix, Cap sweet mango is very, very different to the Molinberry one, I'd never criss-cross them, you'll realise this soon as you get them and smell them. Cap sweet mango is like .... if you have ever had a Solero mango? well, Cap sweet mango is that in spades! whereas the Molinberry one is very light, more a backdrop flavor, but shines through over time. The Cap sweet is like BOOM! hello Mango! :D

Ive ordered two bottles of mollinberry and two peaches and cream from pick n mix just now.

Got a load of those bottles you recommended as well as ive been reusing old liquid bottles up to now so be nice to have my mixes in fresh bottles i can label easier.

Now for the DS order tonight and should be good to mix up by end of the week.

Looking forward to it now.

Ive ordered two bottles of mollinberry and two peaches and cream from pick n mix just now.

Got a load of those bottles you recommended as well as ive been reusing old liquid bottles up to now so be nice to have my mixes in fresh bottles i can label easier.

Now for the DS order tonight and should be good to mix up by end of the week.

Looking forward to it now.

Good stuff, get the DS order in asap, depending on what options you use they can take a few days, addresspal being the slowest.

Good stuff, get the DS order in asap, depending on what options you use they can take a few days, addresspal being the slowest.

Pick n mix arrived overnight which was great. Darkstar order should be with my parcel motel friday or saturday im hoping.

Whats the best was to steep these mixes especially the two of yours im going to make.

Do i just mix and shake and leave them sit for a week or so or whats best?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

Lads could I ask a question. I bought some if the dark star bottle shots, enough to make 1500 ml. I'd said I'd check before I mix it, but i am assuming that once I let it steep for a month and have transferred it to 100ml bottles, that it'll last 6 months or so, once it's airtight and in the back of a press?
    Thanks

conjon wrote: »
    Lads could I ask a question. I bought some if the dark star bottle shots, enough to make 1500 ml. I'd said I'd check before I mix it, but i am assuming that once I let it steep for a month and have transferred it to 100ml bottles, that it'll last 6 months or so, once it's airtight and in the back of a press?
    Thanks

I would transfer them pre-steep, this way you don't introduce any oxygen to already steeped juice until it's ready to be used. They should be good for many months then, yup.

Pick n mix arrived overnight which was great. Darkstar order should be with my parcel motel friday or saturday im hoping.

Whats the best was to steep these mixes especially the two of yours im going to make.

Do i just mix and shake and leave them sit for a week or so or whats best?

Just ordered from both this morning, I used the direct to Ireland option on DS, £8.99 but still the order works out much cheaper than buying over here. P'n'M P&P went up, it used to be only €3, but that was generous. If you use the 'PICK10' code you pretty much get free delivery when you buy €30 or more.

I warm my mixes, either in a mug of hot water for a min or two, or 20 seconds in the microwave [per 100ml] - this is just to soften the VG up so it's easier to give a right good shake. I then put them in my steep press, a spare cupboard that wasn't in use bar a few bits and bobs, and depending on the juice anything from 3 days to a few weeks.

Long gone day for example only needs a few days, it's actually good from the off but the cheesecake comes through more so after about 3-4 days. It remains a pretty clear juice, it doesn't darken much even after weeks, this can be an indicator - juices that darken with time require longer steeping. Where a custard mix will want 7days+ [some won't touch them for a month, until they turn deep amber] depending on the % of custard and the stubborn creams used. Bavarian cream requires a longer steep than say, vanilla bean ice cream. You'll get to know soon enough what different flavours demand, it's part of the experience :)

• Advertisement

My Pick'n'mix order arrived today, can't beat overnight service. I forgot what I had ordered, 3 new flavors from Capella's "Silverline" range. Rainbow candy, Butter pecan, and 27 Fish. The first 2 smell great, the 27 fish atm smells like nail varnish :/ I can get a feint aroma of red liqorice [Red Swedish fish jellies/red laces] - which is what it's supposed to taste like. But that potent ethanol scent is masking it strong. I'll leave it to air a bit before using, and it'll probably require a good steep when mixed too.

Advertisement