Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the sex education curriculum in Irish schools?

Options
  • 03-01-2016 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hey,

I was just wondering what the sex education curriculum is in Irish schools? Or is there any standard given in all schools? Or does it really depend on the school and differ largely from school to school?

I'm 33 so its about 15 years since I was in secondary school. I was just complaining to my partner the other day about how crap sex education was in the Irish schooling system when I was growing up. I basically heard about sex in a hay shed at the age of 8 and never heard another mention of it (in an educational sense) until a month ago when I googled the real chance of getting pregnant while using the pill or a condom. Nearly had heart failure when I discovered how unreliable the condom is in reality :eek:

My partner works in a country primary school and claims that organizations like Veritas give indept sex education throughout the primary school years and the kids can ask any question they want and its throughout the country. Alas I fall in the category of "Ye of little faith" when it comes to anything ever being done correctly in Ireland especially when it comes to sex education. Particularly when I discover Veritas is some sort of Catholic organization and when I ask my partner what the curriculum is and she tells me its all done without the teachers in the classroom so the teachers aren't sure whats really being discussed. And its only taught in primary school? Doesn't extend into secondary school? And is contraception discussed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭mulbot

The way it's gone now,it's the children that could give lessons in sex ed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

I remember being taught by I'm pretty sure it was a nun although it could of just been an old woman in 5th or 6th clas.. I just remember her telling us how friends was a bad TV show to watch and that we shouldn't be watching it,something about it being evil..

I think I also recall a banana and a condom but that could also just be made up in my head...

Either way it want the most informative sex ed

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

I believe that this is the gold-standard teaching video on the subject!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭otpmb

Primary school seemed to be a lot of stranger danger, saying no if you are uncomfortable, not letting people touch you, bullying etc, with puberty being discussed in 5th and 6th and judging by what my cousins say not much has changed in the last 8 years. Teachers are still awkward during the puberty talk.

Unfortunately Secondary school is pretty terrible in comparison, we had regular S.P.H.E talks in 1st year where we spoke about "safe" topics like making friends and bullying, no puberty or sex talk but, after first year we had very little sexual health education. I remember STIs being discussed and the importance of condoms but, no demo shown on how to put would one on and very little information of other forms of contraception or abortion (which was discussed in religion). Sex wasn’t really discussed either. Sexuality was sort of covered in TY. Crisis pregnancy was discussed at the end of 6th year (a bit late for some people though) and it was fairly skewed towards keeping the baby. All in all though, it wasn’t particularly structured in Secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

Relationships and Sexuality Education is included in the SPHE programme from 1st to 3rd year in secondary schools, which deals with puberty, romantic relationships, pregnancy etc. Could probably have more practical information about sexual relationships.

In my school, RSE is taught as part of the Religion programme at 4th-6th year, including STIs, contraception, etc. In my experience, this is done in a detached manner. There is a framework for this available as part of the SPHE/RSE programme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Justin1982

nermal15 wrote: »
    Relationships and Sexuality Education is included in the SPHE programme from 1st to 3rd year in secondary schools, which deals with puberty, romantic relationships, pregnancy etc. Could probably have more practical information about sexual relationships.

In my school, RSE is taught as part of the Religion programme at 4th-6th year, including STIs, contraception, etc. In my experience, this is done in a detached manner. There is a framework for this available as part of the SPHE/RSE programme.

So do you reckon kids are going into secondary school fully equipped with enough facts? Also do you think teenagers are hitting 15-16 with all the facts to prepare them for the real world and all the things that teenagers are getting up to?

I'm just amused at the number of family, friends and neighbors who have either gotten unintentionally pregnant or ended up with an STD of some sort over the years. The number of crisis pregnancies is pretty staggering. I don't know what the stats are on it but I'd imagine its pretty high throughout the country. STD's you probably don't hear about as much but I'm always surprised when I hear about the people who contract them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

RSE starts in junior infants:

"Topics for pupils from junior infants
    to second class will include:
    expressing opinions and listening to the opinions of others
    the different changes taking place in the children’s bodies as
    they grow and develop
    caring for themselves regarding hygiene, exercise and sleep
    keeping safe, knowing what to do if they get lost
    recognising and expressing feelings like happiness and sadness
    appreciating and understanding family life
    making and having friends
    coping with “falling out” with friends
    making responsible choices appropriate to their age

Topics for pupils from third to sixth classes will include:
    caring for themselves regarding hygiene, exercise and sleep
    keeping themselves safe
    changes in their bodies as they mature and develop
    how babies are conceived and born
    (5th/6th class programme)
    their feelings and the appropriate expression of these feelings
    extended family relationships
    making healthy and responsible decisions
    the nature of friendship
    handling conflict in friendshipsw evaluating the portrayal of relationships and sexuality
    in the media. "

In our school, the teachers don't rely on an outsider to come in a give "the talk", it's done by the class teacher and makes it easier for the children to ask questions and understand better than a once off talk can do.
    There is also an emphasis on talking to your parent/s

No matter what a child learns in school, unless there is parental reinforcement at home, the ed. system is at nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

Justin1982 wrote: »
    So do you reckon kids are going into secondary school fully equipped with enough facts? Also do you think teenagers are hitting 15-16 with all the facts to prepare them for the real world and all the things that teenagers are getting up to?

I'm just amused at the number of family, friends and neighbors who have either gotten unintentionally pregnant or ended up with an STD of some sort over the years. The number of crisis pregnancies is pretty staggering. I don't know what the stats are on it but I'd imagine its pretty high throughout the country. STD's you probably don't hear about as much but I'm always surprised when I hear about the people who contract them.

I think most of them are relatively clued-in about puberty etc. when they get to school. They probably get the contraception lessons too late for early prevention (Senior Cycle) Having taught it to some 5th years last year, you do get some shocked reactions at the revelation that having sex while on your period or 'pulling out' isn't a reliable form of contraception. I've only taught it to female students, so not sure about their male counterparts. I did ask the girls how they felt their sex education had been handled thus far, and they felt that they had received all the 'facts' so to speak, but not enough real life, applicable info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

nermal15 wrote: »

SPHE is meant to be taught for the entire 5 / 6 years, we certainly have it the entire was through the school and Sex ed is very much a part of the curriculum. I think the quality of the delivery, like every other subject depends on the school and the teacher teaching it, but in terms of the OPs question, things have generally improved.

Advertisement