Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timesheets and professional development

Options
  • 03-01-2016 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I have a small question about timesheets which I'm not too sure about. I work in a firm where all time has to be allocated to certain projects and all time spent on these are recorded in a spreadsheet type format. I work my allocated 9 to 5 hours, but sometimes I work extra and put these hours in under the associated projects. I do not get paid overtime for these hours.

The problem comes up in relation to professional development or career development time. Sometimes I like to spend an hour or so (after my 9 to 5 core hours) to work on developing myself for my role, such as learning techniques that would be useful, or things that I should know but may have forgotten because I haven't done it in so long.

Should I be logging these hours on my timesheets? Regardless, I don't get paid if I put them in or not, but I would like management to see that I am working extra hours and that I am committed to the work and progressing. I thought if I put it under "administration" instead of a specific project it would be more appropriate.

Anyone have any insight into the correct approach? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Is there an option to log them as Training?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

You'd have to ask one of your colleagues what's common practice in your company I think. It's impossible for anyone here to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭engineerfear1

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Is there an option to log them as Training?

There is, but I believe this is only for formal training.
    You'd have to ask one of your colleagues what's common practice in your company I think. It's impossible for anyone here to say.

I have asked some colleagues before about certain timesheet issues, but everyones opinion seems to vary. Some don't even log the extra hours they work because they see it reflecting poorly on them if they can't get the job done in the 9 to 5 hours!

I would ask them about this specific issue, but then I don't want to seem like a brown noser, trying to get ahead of the pack by doing extra training. I suppose this is somewhat true as I am wary that I am in competition with them for our managers approval and promotion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There is, but I believe this is only for formal training.

I have asked some colleagues before about certain timesheet issues, but everyones opinion seems to vary. Some don't even log the extra hours they work because they see it reflecting poorly on them if they can't get the job done in the 9 to 5 hours!

I would ask them about this specific issue, but then I don't want to seem like a brown noser, trying to get ahead of the pack by doing extra training. I suppose this is somewhat true as I am wary that I am in competition with them for our managers approval and promotion.
    Ask your manager

Advertisement