Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

salmon spinning setup

Options
  • 03-01-2016 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

hi all I'm thinking about buying a new spinning rod and reel for salmon for this year's season. I have my eye on a shimano aernos 10 ft 40g rod and the shimano exage 4000 fd reel.
    I fish primarily donegal on the river drowes and a few other rivers. would this rod/reel combo be a good choice? any other suggestions much appreciated. cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

I use an 11ft daiwa whisker along with a 4000 shimano exage and love it

I did have a problem last year with the reel when I turned in the handle for storage it wouldn't open up properly but it was fixed under warranty so no issue

I think I may upgrade to a stradic but the exage will do the job nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Dont know the rod but the reel is very good.
    I was gonna buy one a few years back but was told the aernos was a better reel than the exage for not a not more money. The lad in the tackle shop said for mono they were equally as good but for braid the aernos had much better line lay so i went for that instead. Ive been using it in salt water for 2 years with no issues.
    The exage is still a good reel tho and lots of lads swear by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

.red. wrote: »
    Dont know the rod but the reel is very good.
    I was gonna buy one a few years back but was told the aernos was a better reel than the exage for not a not more money. The lad in the tackle shop said for mono they were equally as good but for braid the aernos had much better line lay so i went for that instead. Ive been using it in salt water for 2 years with no issues.
    The exage is still a good reel tho and lots of lads swear by them.

i have the aernos 4000 and its an excellent spinning reel

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭huggy15

ended up buying the aernos rod and aernos reel. just hope I can christen it with a springer now 😊!

Advertisement