Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ideas for a stag

• 03-01-2016 4:56pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm looking for some ideas for a stag, set to take place in early June.

It'll be a group of about 15-20, probably one or two nights somewhere in Ireland (outside of Dublin - but other than that I'm open to any decent location).

I want to keep it fairly chilled out, so would avoid the normal activity/paintball stuff - but at the same time it'd be nice to have something to do as a focal point for the day.

I was thinking something like a brewery/distillery tour but outside of the big brands in Dublin & Cork they're surprisingly thin on the ground, despite the explosion in craft brewers around the place.

Can anyone recommend one that I might have missed in some light Google searching? Or something along the same lines that will eat up a few hours without requiring too much exertion?

Obviously the cheaper the better, too, as I don't want to be asking people to fork out a tonne of money for the privilege.

The dream would be a brewer/distiller that had accommodation on site - but that might be too much to ask for!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Tullamore Dew have a pretty swanky, high tech distillery. I dont know much about the town itself though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Tzardine wrote: »
    Tullamore Dew have a pretty swanky, high tech distillery. I dont know much about the town itself though.

Spent a weekend in Tullamore a few years ago - didn't go to the distillery but didn't think a huge heap of the town, so not sure if I could convince the lads to go back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Kilkenny has the Smithwick's Experience. I haven't been but I've heard it's good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Black's Brewery in Cork (KPA) do a great tour and brewing experience. You can take home your brew (after a few weeks), with a custom beer label - we had it as party favors at the wedding and it went down really well.

http://blacksbrewery.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

About 15mins from kilkenny city is the Carlow brewing company in the royal Oak they do tours. They brew o hara's and the have a pub in Kilkenny. the Brewery corner. Stock only craft beers

• Advertisement

brevity wrote: »
    Black's Brewery in Cork (KPA) do a great tour and brewing experience. You can take home your brew (after a few weeks), with a custom beer label - we had it as party favors at the wedding and it went down really well.

http://blacksbrewery.com

Thanks - Cork seems to have a few options, between the Irish Distillers fare, Fransiscan Well and this crowd

linny wrote: »
    About 15mins from kilkenny city is the Carlow brewing company in the royal Oak they do tours. They brew o hara's and the have a pub in Kilkenny. the Brewery corner. Stock only craft beers

Quite like O'Hara's stuff - a friend of mine hails from Carlow so will ask him how the nightlife is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The Tom Crean lager is brewed in Dingle. I had my own stag there but the best man screwed up the brewery tour booking and they were closed on the day so I can't speak to that. Dingle's a great spot for a chilled out session and if you wanted to nick my best man's save for the brewery tour, rent a mini-bus to take you on a pub crawl of the ring of Kerry.

Sleepy wrote: »
    The Tom Crean lager is brewed in Dingle. I had my own stag there but the best man screwed up the brewery tour booking and they were closed on the day so I can't speak to that. Dingle's a great spot for a chilled out session and if you wanted to nick my best man's save for the brewery tour, rent a mini-bus to take you on a pub crawl of the ring of Kerry.

Dingle's definitely a spot I'd love to go to - actually tried to last year but left it too late and couldn't find accommodation. It also has a distillery that does tours so we could have a choice (or just go to both).

My only reservation is the time it'd take to get there from Dublin - you'd almost want to be spending 3+ nights there to make the most of it.

Still, definitely one worth thinking about. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The trip back was ropey enough alright but sure you forget these things once the hangover has faded! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Sleepy wrote: »

Pub crawl around the ring of Kerry?
    Forget Hamburg or prague that sounds unreal. Great win by your best man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Go to Edinburgh.

Cheap flights.

Massive whiskey brewery. Lots of whiskey pubs.

Great nightlife.

No one knows you.

Or Westport adventure centre.

Go to Edinburgh.

Cheap flights.

Massive whiskey brewery. Lots of whiskey pubs.

Great nightlife.

No one knows you.

Or Westport adventure centre.

Love Edinburgh, but we've been there a few times in the last few years - including for my own 30th last year. Wouldn't mind doing something different (also trying to avoid going abroad - though if it's clearly cheaper I could be convinced).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

flogen wrote: »
    Love Edinburgh, but we've been there a few times in the last few years - including for my own 30th last year. Wouldn't mind doing something different (also trying to avoid going abroad - though if it's clearly cheaper I could be convinced).

Did spent quite a lot now with the Euro to the Sterling alright. Have you thought about any of the Aran Islands, or heading over for TedFest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Dingle is a great spot for a stag. Id highly reccommend it. As you say tho, its a bit of a journey, especially back with a sick head.
    If you did it late May you would get a great deal on somewhere like Malaga or one of the other short haul holiday destinations like Faro. Early June could still be cheap tho.
    I know people who went 2 years ago from Cork to Torremolinos. Flights were on Friday morning and back Sunday evening so they had 2nights but almost 3 full days in the sun.. Think there was 12/13 went and flights, accommodation and minibus to/from the airport to the apartments came to about E130 each without a bag checked in. I'd imagine flights from Dublin would he slightly cheaper than Cork as you would have more options of who to fly with.
    2 nights in a cheap hotel here will cost everyone about E50, add in petrol and the cost of drink here and a foreign stag might work out cheaper.

Advertisement