Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12V / 3A AC-DC Adapter

Options
  • 03-01-2016 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi,

Family member's Fiber Optic Xmas tree has a damaged AC-DC adaptor. No doubt it would be cheaper to just get a new tree but for sentimental reasons she wants to keep it. I've attached a photo of the specs of the adaptor. I can't seem to get the exact adaptor for sale on the web currently. It seems to be easy enough to get an equivalent 12V, 3A (3000mA) adapter but I'm not sure about the DC connector type i.e. will the connector / plug that I get with another device be the same as the original. What are my options?

Thanks,
    super_freddie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

What does the socket look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭super_freddie

syklops wrote: »
    What does the socket look like?

It's a standard male / female gig so the plug is cylindrical like you'd see on laptops etc (with a corresponding socket to accept it) but just not sure if the length, diameter and polarity of inner / outer pieces etc will all match up. I think there are some standards for this type of stuff but have no clue whether the original conforms to any of them.

Thanks,
    super_freddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Are you sure it's 12VDC?

Could you just use the old connector?

Are you sure it's 12VDC?

Could you just use the old connector?

Yeah, pretty sure it's 12VDC - have a look at the attachment to the first post, that's what I'm going by.

Can't just use the old connector as it's a single moulded unit from one end to the other. Not comfortable messing around with heat-shrink etc.

Thanks,
    super_freddie.

Yeah, pretty sure it's 12VDC - have a look at the attachment to the first post, that's what I'm going by.

Can't just use the old connector as it's a single moulded unit from one end to the other. Not comfortable messing around with heat-shrink etc.

Thanks,
    super_freddie.

I looked at the attachment, nothing on it says it's DC.

Is there any info on the tree where the connector goes in?

A pic of the connector would be useful too

• Advertisement

I looked at the attachment, nothing on it says it's DC.

Is there any info on the tree where the connector goes in?

A pic of the connector would be useful too

OK, that's a fair point. It could be just an AC-AC transformer. No info on the tree unfortunately, just a hole :(

Not at the mother's house right now but my recollection is that it's like the cylindrical connector on a laptop adaptor, just with a slightly larger diameter.

Thanks,
    super_freddie.

OK, that's a fair point. It could be just an AC-AC transformer. No info on the tree unfortunately, just a hole :(

Not at the mother's house right now but my recollection is that it's like the cylindrical connector on a laptop adaptor, just with a slightly larger diameter.

Thanks,
    super_freddie.

Why dont you go into Woodies or Argos and look at their variable voltage adapters, like in the picture below. Last one I bought was about 9 euros and had interchangeable heads of different sizes. Assuming the volts and amps match up and it has a head which fits, you should be in business.

BE227.jpg

Woodies might be better because they might open the box and show you the heads. Bring your old head with you to compare.

Also when I suggested reusing the existing connector I didn't mean trying to connect a new cable to it, simply cut the existing cable a foot or two from the connector then you just join the wires to the output wires on the new adapter. (cutting off whatever connector comes with be new adapter obviously)

Why dont you go into Woodies or Argos and look at their variable voltage adapters, like in the picture below. Last one I bought was about 9 euros and had interchangeable heads of different sizes. Assuming the volts and amps match up and it has a head which fits, you should be in business.

BE227.jpg

Woodies might be better because they might open the box and show you the heads. Bring your old head with you to compare.

Thanks for that. Can't make out from the photo but is that one AC-DC or AC-AC? Back to what brightspark said - I probably need to figure out first if the output that I am looking for is AC or DC?

super_freddie.

Also when I suggested reusing the existing connector I didn't mean trying to connect a new cable to it, simply cut the existing cable a foot or two from the connector then you just join the wires to the output wires on the new adapter. (cutting off whatever connector comes with be new adapter obviously)

Thanks. But I would still need to do some soldering and heat-shrinking right? Or am I missing your point completely here? :)

super_freddie.

• Advertisement

Thanks. But I would still need to do some soldering and heat-shrinking right? Or am I missing your point completely here? :)

super_freddie.

It's only 12V @ 3Amps, Some simple strip connectors would do. No need to solder them.

(What's wrong with the original adapter?)

It's only 12V @ 3Amps, Some simple strip connectors would do. No need to solder them.

(What's wrong with the original adapter?)

Our christmas tree lights have had strip connectors on the bottom for as long as i can remember (~30 years)

Come to think of it, growing up, practically everything had strip connectors on the bottom.

Our christmas tree lights have had strip connectors on the bottom for as long as i can remember (~30 years)

Come to think of it, growing up, practically everything had strip connectors on the bottom.

I wouldn't recommend their use on mains cables of course.

I wouldn't recommend their use on mains cables of course.

Well of course but for anything around the 12v mark its grand. Quick look around the house:

Christmas tree lights
    Hens light
    train set control system
    PBX
    amp for hifi

All connected with strips.

Well of course but for anything around the 12v mark its grand. Quick look around the house:

Christmas tree lights
    Hens light
    train set control system
    PBX
    amp for hifi

All connected with strips.

Thanks guys, got it - strip connector on the step-down / 12V side and then all I need is to find a transformer that will step down to the 12V / 30000mA.

The original adaptor / converter fell on a hard floor and smashed open in such a way that it can't be re-assembled.

super_freddie.

If there isn't a circuit board in it then it's more than likely to be AC

If there isn't a circuit board in it then it's more than likely to be AC

Yeah, actually thinking about it now (although I didn't take much notice at the time), the guts of the smashed open adapter looked more like a transformer than an AC-DC power conversion board.

Not having much look getting a decent price on an AC-AC adaptor.

Farnell don't seem to have anything that goes up to 3A while Maplin do but at their usual ludicrous pricing (see http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/3a-acac-fixed-voltage-12v-power-supply-n57dl), guess I'll just have to keep working Google...

super_freddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭whizbang

These things usually use a GU4 12V 35Watt halogen bulb.

If you could get a suitable replacement LED lamp, then you could use a much lower rated power supply

Failing that, use an old Halogen downlighter transformer.

Advertisement