Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Voice of Ireland - Season 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

They still get their 5 minutes (or seconds) of fame, which I guess is simply what a lot of people would still want these days, and be quite happy to achieve.

I cannot understand, having watched all the seasons of The Voice of Ireland, how anyone would think that they would get anything other than their face on the tv and for people to hear how they sing.

So I can't understand why they are so disappointed when they get knocked out. It's not as if winning the competition will change their lives other than being able to add "winner of the Voice" on their posters for their gigs around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Voice Of Ireland coach Bressie has said winners of the RTE series are too lazy after the show ends.

The Mullingar star, 33, said acts who have previously won the show only have themselves to blame for not promoting their records.

Both Pat Byrne and Keith Hanley – who won the first two seasons – have seen themselves massively flop in the charts.

He said: “One issue I have with these types of shows is the people that win don’t work hard enough.

“They assume that that platform is it and have no idea that this industry is one of the toughest in the world.”

“People watching you on a Sunday evening singing covers might think you’re great but it’s different writing your own record and promoting it.”

And Bressie also feels Irish radio’s refusal to support acts who come from a reality TV show is part of the problem to.

“I think radio say, ‘Oh were not supporting it, it’s from a television show’ I do believe that, I truly do,” he said.

“You can say about One Direction, but that’s a different entity altogether, but I do believe there is an element of prejudgement. ”

voice

Contestants need to work harder: Bressie knows the music business is toughest in the world | RTE
    However Bressie coached last year’s Voice Of Ireland winner Brendan McCahey, and praised him for sticking to his guns after the show.

“I think Brendan who won last year was one of the most talented people I’ve been in a room with and I remember when he won I said ‘we’re going to write together.” he told Upbeat FM.

“We went into the studio one day and realized this guy can’t co-write, and I said, ‘Okay that’s fine, you go write your record yourself’. It’s a huge risk but he made a beautiful record and I produced it.”

“The problem with a lot of songs we listen to on prime time radio now is they’re not written. They’re productions, people are starting songs with a computer programme, that’s not life.

The qualified views of an artist whose last couple of singles reached 32 and 53 in the Irish charts.........

On Sunday night Patrick Donoghue was crowned the 2015 Voice of Ireland winner.

So does a career selling millions of album await the 23-year-old? Probably not based on previous winners.

Since the Voice of Ireland started, the winners haven’t exactly made it big with albums and singles flopping before quietly disappearing.

Voice of Ireland Where Are They Now
    Dunnes worker Patrick Donoghue won this year’s Voice of Ireland
    Such is the lack of success previous winners, winning the Voice of Ireland is now seen as a bit of a curse.

So what has happened to the previous three winners of the Voice of Ireland and can you even name them?

Pat Byrne and Bressie in 2012
    Pat Byrne 2012

Pat Byrne from Borris, Co. Carlow was the first person to win the Voice of Ireland.

However, since the win, not a lot has happened for the singer.

His debut album ‘All Or Nothing’ reached no higher than 10th place on the Irish charts and his debut single ‘What A Wonderful World’ reached number three.

In 2013, Byrne released the single ‘All or Nothing’ which only reached number 80 in the Irish charts.

His last Facebook update was for a gig at the Borris Vocational School in November 2013 while his website has no upcoming gigs.

Keith celebrates his win outside RTÉ
    Keith Hanley 2013

Keith won Voice of Ireland in 2013 with his version of the Frankie Valli hit ‘Beggin’.

His cover of ‘Beggin’ barely made a dent in the chart, limping to a very disappointing number 37 in the Irish charts.

He then followed that up with another cover, this time a remake of Eiffel 65’s ‘Blue.’ That reached number 29 in the Irish charts and sold just 270 copies.

His debut album Hush was released in March 2014, reaching a disappointing 17 in the Irish charts.

Keith is currently starring in Les Miserables in the Firkin Crane Theatre in Cork.

Brendan is still gigging but hasn’t made the big time yet
    Brendan McCahey 2014

When Brendan won in 2014, Voice of Ireland were desperate to have a successful winner and they thought they had one in Brendan McCahey.

But Brendan’s debut album ‘To Where I Begin’ only sold around 300 copies and entered the charts at number 20.

His single, Can’t Judge A Book by the Cover’ only reached number 15.

The Monaghan native is still touring however and last weekend he played a gig in Galway.

He told the Irish Daily Mail in October that his bank balance hasn’t improved following his win.

‘Not at all. My life hasn’t drastically improved, if I am totally honest. But I do put a lot of work into it to make it provide for my family. I still work really hard gigging. I do a lot of private and corporate gigs which pay.
    f

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

zoobizoo wrote: »
    The contestants should do their research.

Hardly the shows fault if people, having seen that no one does particularly well from the show, enter the show.

True. A good lot of the contestants think that these types of shows are the *only* way to make it in music, that this is the norm for the music business.

A lot of them came across like they were surrounded by "yes" people in the local pub hacking out Cher or Whitney Houston songs or whatever on a weekend while the band took a break.

The idea that bands, say in America, would have gotten into a van and toured and toured and toured in the past is probably alien to them.

They probably have no idea of the state of the music business in Ireland. How bad it is, how bad it is to get promoted on day time radio, funding, support etc.

You have others entering the show who know exactly what they're getting into, and what the show is all about, and just want to have a crack at it to see how they get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭CFlat

This place feels very cavernous today.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Evening :)

Katherine's voice is really wrecking my head :(

Best song so far tonight IMO. Thought Calissa was the best too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

This Adele song isn't battle material

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

That calissa girl was good. Haven't been impressed by anyone else tonight.

What's up with this girl's massive, poofy hair?!

Putting this song at the so called battle stage is absolutely ridiculous. Just pure karaoke!!!

Reminds me of Bryn and Nessa from Gavin and Stacey having one of their duets without the personality

Zzzzzzdzssźzzzzz

• Advertisement

Erin has a great voice but wrong song I think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,498 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Never thought I would hear Haim on the voice of ireland! :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Cosmo2013

It amazes me that these contestants more often than not have never heard of the song their told to sing. Yet they claim to have been into music their whole life. Just don't get it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Jaysus this song is bad. Mad screechy

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Cosmo2013

Jeeezzzz, serious pitching issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Cosmo2013 wrote: »
    It amazes me that these contestants more often than not have never heard of the song their told to sing. Yet they claim to have been into music their whole life. Just don't get it at all.

A symptom of general societys obsession of being famous simply for being famous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Rfrip

The fifties styled girl is really good. The other girl was much better in her audition, she sounds strange here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

That girl in the whitish dress has one weird voice

Una is right, it's not a battle song

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Hi everyone! I'm only tuning in now, Nicky and Patrick both seem so likeably odd!

• Advertisement

Holy phuck.

Oh ffs.....

Panic over!!

Glad Una saved her, she was the better singer

Autosport wrote: »
    Glad Una saved her, she was the better singer

By a country mile. Don't know what the hell Bessie was thinkin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FrankenSteiner

dee_mc wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I'm only tuning in now, Nicky and Patrick both seem so likeably odd!

I love Nicky <3<3<3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

That Haim was butchered...... much like ham would be butchered.

Love this song. Please don't ruin this.

It's ridiculous that 90% of these aspiring singers haven't heard genuinely well known non pop songs.

BRUCE Springsteen, Secret Garden should be well known by someone like these guys.

It's not as if they are 15 or 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Love this song. Please don't ruin this.

It's ridiculous that 90% of these aspiring singers haven't heard genuinely well known non pop songs.

BRUCE Springsteen, Secret Garden should be well known by someone like these guys.

It's not as if they are 15 or 16.

Terrible version...

• Advertisement

The guy is better but that girl has a gorgeous accent and is extremely fit...... #torn !

Judges talking bull

Advertisement